Got names? - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 72 Old 01-20-2006, 11:46 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We are having a boy, and his name will be Callum John. Callum we just like 9and if DH and i agree on a name we have to use it, because we have VERY different taste), and John is for my grandad. My grandad's name wasn't john, but he hated his name so much that he lied to my grandma about it until teh day they were to be married, and then he took her aside and said "Sweetie, my name's not John, it's Earl. I didn't think you'd marry a man named Earl" but she did! and he went by John teh rest of his life. So why gift a child with the name he hated? we are going to use the name he gave himself!

Freya
Callum John due June 3, 2006
#62 of 72 Old 01-20-2006, 02:10 PM

That's a great name, Freya! Excited to see you over here too.

Nichole, mama to 6 blue-eyed babies, LCCE, doula, apprentice mw
#63 of 72 Old 01-20-2006, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freya6903
My grandad's name wasn't john, but he hated his name so much that he lied to my grandma about it until teh day they were to be married, and then he took her aside and said "Sweetie, my name's not John, it's Earl. I didn't think you'd marry a man named Earl" but she did! and he went by John teh rest of his life. So why gift a child with the name he hated? we are going to use the name he gave himself!
That's really funny, because *my* grandfather's name was Earl, too, and he told his kids that they weren't to even think of naming one of their kids after him, because he hated his name so much!

Lisa , mom to Isaac (9/1/03), Violet (6/19/06), Simon (10/9/09); wife to Eric ; handservant to Grace :
#64 of 72 Old 01-20-2006, 03:09 PM

You think Earl is bad? My grandfather's name was Earson!

He went by Joe.
#65 of 72 Old 01-20-2006, 05:16 PM

My husband's grandfather's name was Elmer... and dh INSISTS on naming one of our children after him! His middle name was just the initial S. so I can't even use that! So wrong I tell you, and you oughta see how offended he gets when I (and others) laugh at the name ..."my grandfather was a great man..." yadda yadda... like I care, Elmer is just not something you name your kid! Everyone, please pray we have many MANY girls!

Holly, eternally in love partners.gif with Kolby, Raising Juelie Anise (10y), Behnjamin Shen (6y), and Coen Syaoran (4y). Expecting June 2013 2ndtri.gif

#66 of 72 Old 01-21-2006, 12:32 AM

I have a question for you all --

We found out we're having a girl so now we're deciding between several girls' names. I really like the name Nova, but I also really want her middle name to be Margaret after my grandmother. So, do you think Nova Margaret sounds weird?

If so, I'm thinking: Eva Margaret, Eve Margaret, or Evelyn Margaret...

What do you think of those?

Mama to 3 kids. We live in a yurt!
#67 of 72 Old 01-21-2006, 12:34 AM

Oh, and:

Quote:
Originally Posted by grace's voice
you oughta see how offended he gets when I (and others) laugh at the name ..."my grandfather was a great man..." yadda yadda... like I care, Elmer is just not something you name your kid! Everyone, please pray we have many MANY girls!

My dad's name is Francis and he absolutely hated it, even though he always told everyone Frank. Of course his parents and three sisters always called him Francis, though. When we found out DS 1 was a boy, he was like, "PLEASE don't name him after me!!"

Mama to 3 kids. We live in a yurt!
#68 of 72 Old 01-21-2006, 10:32 AM

we're having a boy so we're pretty sure he'll be Dawson Patrick.

mom to dd 8/03 ds 6/06 and numero tres, ds 11/11 stillheart.gif

#69 of 72 Old 01-21-2006, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AugustineM

We found out we're having a girl so now we're deciding between several girls' names. I really like the name Nova, but I also really want her middle name to be Margaret after my grandmother. So, do you think Nova Margaret sounds weird?

I like Nova Margaret I don't think it sounds weird at all and I like it better even than the three alternatives you gave (though those are nice too)

WOHM married to SAHD, living the dream w/our: 3 girls (14,12,10) and 3 boys (7,5,3) and tie-breaker due Jan 2014

#70 of 72 Old 01-21-2006, 11:51 AM

Quote:

Well, Evelyn is on our list, so I am partial....as for Nova Margaret....I don't think it flows at first, but after saying it a couple of times it does. My one daughters name didn't flow to me at first, but now she is four, and I couldn't imagine it any other way! Go with what you love!

~C~
#71 of 72 Old 01-21-2006, 01:01 PM

Quote:
My dad's name is Francis and he absolutely hated it, even though he always told everyone Frank. Of course his parents and three sisters always called him Francis, though. When we found out DS 1 was a boy, he was like, "PLEASE don't name him after me!!"
My dad's name is ******* Francis, and my Mom always called him Pres, but once they got divorced he suddenly changed his name to "Frank." Now everyone calls him Frank.
#72 of 72 Old 01-21-2006, 02:34 PM

Quote:
So, do you think Nova Margaret sounds weird?
I don't think it sounds weird at all! In fact, I really like the combo. Nova is a cool, unusual name, go for it!

Chessa , mama to Silas T (6/06) , wife to Chad . Welcome August Emerson! 2/8/10

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page