natural childbirth? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 41 Old 01-13-2006, 09:43 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi kittyhead; I labored and pushed drug free in a hospital setting; I was very firm and plain from the get go with my MW and OB, and any nurse that set foot in the room that I did NOT want to be offered any drugs, and if I needed them, I would ask for them. And not one person offered me anything. I labored for 8 hours and pushed for 2 with no interventions - so you CAN do it in a hospital, just like everyone else has told you!!

In the end, I had a C-section - I pushed for 2 hours, and he didn't budge, even a millimeter - and you know what? I felt like I had done all I could, had done my best, and decided the section was right for us. I have no regrets about it at all.

Healed up like a champ, didn't take any pain meds after I was discharged home, and really was back to normal within a couple weeks...I didn't let the fact that it didn't go exactly as I had wanted it get me down.

Now, I know not everyone has a C-section experience like I did, and for women who are railroaded or forced into them, and have surgical complications, I feel truly sorry.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that I felt like I was in control of what happened, and that's why I had a great experience....so no matter what happens, you can make the best of it, as long as you stay calm and firm about your wishes!!

Oh, and yeah, it does hurt - but my whole thing was I *knew* it was going to end as soon as the baby was out, that it wouldn't go on forever, and that I would forget about it once it was over....so for me, that's how I got through it.

YOU can do it!!!

Heather, WAHM to DS (01/04)DD (06/06). Wed to DH(09/97)
#32 of 41 Old 01-13-2006, 10:39 PM

hey all... i just saw my second birth center today, where the midwife says, we have absolutely no drugs here and i want to go! my first birth i labored for all but 6 hours (so 41-6) without drugs. and the 6 hours were the most depressing. i am definitely going to labor without drugs this time and aim to have a natural child birth!

Ange. Mama to boys. Yup. All Boys. All Intact. A bunch of other NFL, crunchy credentials too.
#33 of 41 Old 01-15-2006, 03:41 AM

It can be done... (I am posting from my friends screen name) I did a Bradley birth with my second son.. My first one was a medicated delivery and although I still love my doctor, I still strongly feel that it is easier for them to turn it into a procedure rather than a birth... while still being kind to you. I was not at all happy with the regret of not being able to do things naturally the first time and so my DH and I decided to take Bradley Natural Childbirth Classes. Take or leave the information and teaching they give you... but I never felt more prepared or more like a team. My husband felt like he was a big part, instead of just someone on the sidelines. I had strong support and encouragement from my Bradley instructor the whole to weeks prior to my second son's birth while I was having STRONG contractions... but no progress.. Then we had a fourteen hour labor and gave birth to our son TOGETHER.. it was great and worth every penny! I will do it that way over and over again... I actually felt like I was in control and the pain was hard and intense.. but wonderful and when I used the techniques it was so manageable I was joking and laughing all the way to nine centimeters and pushing.. Believe in yourself and maybe consider researching other options (such as midwives..) that will support your choices much more.. Like they say- it's much harder to stick to a diet when you are shopping in a candy shop...
#34 of 41 Old 01-15-2006, 09:02 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Fanny -
very well said! thanks for the info.

homeschooling, earth loving Mama to 3 crazy, wonderful boys, ages 10 & 7, & 3 mos.,3 spirit babies                                Inch by inch, row by row.  Gonna make this garden grow  
#35 of 41 Old 01-16-2006, 11:41 AM

Thank you Mountainsun. May I add one interesting book that I deeply recommend: The Natural Pregnancy Book by US midwife Aviva Jill Romm.
Women are ofter underestimated but they rock
#36 of 41 Old 01-16-2006, 03:02 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I will have to check out that book - I have her book "Natural Healing for Babies and Children," and I really like it.

homeschooling, earth loving Mama to 3 crazy, wonderful boys, ages 10 & 7, & 3 mos.,3 spirit babies                                Inch by inch, row by row.  Gonna make this garden grow  
#37 of 41 Old 01-17-2006, 07:51 PM

I'm sure this is a super long shot, but do you happen to live anywhere near the Seattle/Tacoma area of Washington State? Thought not, but if you did I have some super help for you.

The best thing that I can recommend, that's availible in most areas is taking a Bradley class. I haven't had the chance to read every post here, but I'm sure all of the books I would recommend have already been mentioned. Esp. "The Thinking Woman's Guide to a Better Birth" by Henci Goer. It is really helpful, esp for women choosing hospital births. I say, read like a maniac, take good classes if you can, and talk to every natural childbirth mom you can. Also, hiring a doula (IMO) is absolutly essential. "The Doula Book" is a great book to learn about how a good doula can help you. Basically, take this time to learn everything you can. Knowledge is power, and natural birth is empowering.

Also, I really don't think there is an "old fashioned way", just the way things were meant to be, and the horror the medical community can turn them into. Birthing IS hard, natural or not. Interventions (when unnessecary) can really make things much harder. I have to agree with your mom, through natural birth is hard I wouldn't do it any other way. Ever notice how the harder something is, the more worth it it turns out to be?

Holly, eternally in love partners.gif with Kolby, Raising Juelie Anise (10y), Behnjamin Shen (6y), and Coen Syaoran (4y). Expecting June 2013 2ndtri.gif

#38 of 41 Old 01-18-2006, 03:56 PM

I am due with my third baby in 6 1/2 weeks. I have had both of my DDs at home and I am planning to have #3 at home too! I have loved having my babies at home. Labor IS hard, but if you decide to do it, YOU CAN DO IT!!!!.

DD #1 was born in 2002 and I had a fairly long labor, but had a great support team with my husband, my mother and my midwife. I had quite a bit of back labor with her and it helped so much when my husband applied counterpressure to my backbone. I also had my mother laying wet/cold washcloths on my face during transition. There are so many resources out there for pain relief/comfort measures during labor. Peggy Simpkin has sevaral good books as well as the ones already suggested by Ina Mae Gaskin, and others.

DD#2 was born in 2004 and was a precipitous (sp?) labor (really fast labor). Totally different from #1. This labor was much shorter but much stronger (more painful) but even with night and day differences between these two labors, there was never a time when I thought " I can't do this" You can have this baby without drugs!!

I am due again in just a few weeks and am planning to have this one the same way! Wouldn't choose to do it any other way

About the Doula, I have been through doula training, and many of them will work for free or much less when they are attending births to become certified. Most of them will not have had much hands-on training at this point in their practice, but they will have everything fresh in their minds from their classes. I would highly recomend a doula for any birth, but especially for a hospital birth. They know what you are looking for with your labor and birth so they can do some of the talking with Dr's and nurses so you can concentrate on your contractions and they are also trained in natural comfort measures, like mentioned above!

Hope you have a wonderful pregnancy and birth experience!!
#39 of 41 Old 01-18-2006, 04:00 PM

I am due with my third baby in 6 1/2 weeks. I have had both of my DDs at home and I am planning to have #3 at home too! I have loved having my babies at home. Labor IS hard, but if you decide to do it, YOU CAN DO IT!!!!.

DD #1 was born in 2002 and I had a fairly long labor, but had a great support team with my husband, my mother and my midwife. I had quite a bit of back labor with her and it helped so much when my husband applied counterpressure to my tailbone. I also had my mother laying wet/cold washcloths on my face during transition. There are so many resources out there for natural pain relief/comfort measures during labor. Peggy Simpkin has sevaral good books as well as the ones already suggested by Ina Mae Gaskin, and others.

DD#2 was born in 2004 and was a precipitous (sp?) labor (really fast labor). Totally different from #1. This labor was much shorter but much stronger (more painful) but even with night and day differences between these two labors, there was never a time when I thought " I can't do this" You can have this baby without drugs!!

I am due again in just a few weeks and am planning to have this one the same way! Wouldn't choose to do it any other way

About the Doula, I have been through doula training, and many of them will work for free or much less when they are attending births to become certified. Most of them will not have had much hands-on training at this point in their practice, but they will have everything fresh in their minds from their classes. I would highly recomend a doula for any birth, but especially for a hospital birth. They know what you are looking for with your labor and birth so they can do some of the talking with Dr's and nurses so you can concentrate on your contractions and they are also trained in natural comfort measures, like mentioned above!

Hope you have a wonderful pregnancy and birth experience!!
#40 of 41 Old 01-18-2006, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittyhead
yep, it is going to be in a hospital... but i do live in northern california, in an area where people who think the way i do are not too unusual ... my ob is actually pretty cool, and so far she seems pretty open to a natural approach.

i think your Ob's attitude is key. It also wouldn't hurt to find out what some of the stats/standard protocols at the hospital are in case you end up delivering w/ another dr. My Ob is very laid back, no IV unless you want drugs or there are dehydration/blood loss issues (i.e. times when it would be APPROPRIATE to have an IV!) they don't do routine episiotomies, don't do on demand induction/c-section, only when there are serious medical indications. Plus, these are the standard for all the Ob's in this practice.

I felt steamrolled into several interventions w/ my dd's birth (different hospital different dr.) and I wanted to find a place where my choices and opinions would be listened to and honored. Sounds like you found the same
#41 of 41 Old 01-20-2006, 02:30 AM

It's hard, but you can do it, never think otherwise!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page