natural childbirth? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 41 Old 01-12-2006, 10:58 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
so many of you have already had children, and this is my first... i have to ask, have many of you done it the "old fashined way", no drugs? my mother didnt have any drugs, she said it was the hardest thing she has ever done but she wouldnt have had it any other way.

yesterday i was talking to my aunt who works in a medical field, and she started talking about hospital procedure, and make sure you have an IV in in case you want drugs, and so on and i said "holy cow woman, im having a baby not an operation! its a natural bodily function, im not having something surgically removed!" lol, she called my mother and told her that i was being "unrealistic". im getting better at ignoring the advice...

call me crazy, but im pretty tough and barring the unforseen i think i can do it. the baby will be born at the hospital, but i want to try to do this as naturally as possible... i dont want drugs unless i absolutly need them. so help me out ladies (please), tell me that its possible, tell me that women have babies without drugs all the time. i need some confidence!
#2 of 41 Old 01-12-2006, 11:16 AM

I was born with Michel Odent in 1980. have a look at his books.... you won't be disappointed.
I have tons of other books, inform you thats' the best advice I can give you (given that this is my 1st baby too)
Have a look at Henci Goer, a thinking woman's guide to a better birth on Amazon.
Let me know if you need more references.
My aunt couldn't have her baby at home so she went to the hospital but didn't have any drugs.
#3 of 41 Old 01-12-2006, 11:26 AM

I will give you my 4 birth experiences...all totally different!!

DS #1 - I was young(19) and had no information whatsoever. When the DR said come in to have the baby, I did. Started the epidural, added the pitocin, broke my water, done. No pain. No feeling. I didnt feel cheated or anything because I didn't have anything else to go by. My son was fine, I was fine...

DD#1 - I was a little bit older, wanted more information. I was going to TRY to go without drugs, but figured if I wanted them I would get them. I think if I had been more prepared for the fact that the pain was unreal, I would have done it. Everyone kept trying to reassure me that the pain wasn't all that bad, so when it hurt like hell, I was scared. Which made it hurt more. SO I had the epidural. Never needed pitocin, my water broke on its own, no problems. But I was a bit dissapointed.

DD#2 - I was totally prepared for pain this time. I did let the DR break my water, but had a very quick and easy birth, one of those you literally have NO pain. She was delivered 12 minutes after I felt the first bit of pressure.

DS#2 - Was with a real midwife this time. My water broke, I went in, ran the antbx (I was GBS positive..not normally a big deal but for some reason it scared me this time..intuition). After 12 hours, NOTHING. NO cntrx at all. No dilation. I agreed to pitocin because I was panicked about the GBS. Never had any pain meds, and I got through the pit induced birth. It was more pain than I could ever imagine. But I did it. I went truly inside myself, and did what I felt I had to. Whatever position I wanted, I did. I actually delivered on all fours on the bed, and it was the most wonderful experience I could hope for.

So, what I think it boils down to, I felt the most connected and in tune with the painful birth. It was primal. If you can let yourself go, AND ADVOCATE FOR YOURSELF (get the nurses to leave you alone, move how you want, etc..) you WILL do it. It can hurt. LIke you wouldn't believe. But you will feel sooooo amazed at yourself when it is over. I think the trick is to go in saying you will NOT have the drugs. When I gave myself permission to have them if I wanted, I caved. WIth the mindset that you can do it, you will. I think I used a lot of hypnobirthing techniques without realizing it, it came instinctivley. Check them out for some more info...

Wow, hope I didn't go on too long...just be informed. That will help the fear that can ruin your plans!!

~C~
#4 of 41 Old 01-12-2006, 11:38 AM - Thread Starter

oooh, thank you. fanny, i will check out those books. a friend of mine just gave me Spritual Midwifery and a book called Natural Birth Choices, i havent read them yet but im going to start today.

and caroline, thank you! thats what i wanted to hear, some stories about how its really really hard but still possible! im trying to be "realistic" about it as my auntie says, but i also have a lot of confidence in my body (and an aversion to taking pharmacutical drugs unless absolutly necessary)... i need to build up my mama mojo so that when people tell me i cant do it i wont start doubting myself like this. btw the auntie in question has never had any children, her "expertise" comes from assisting hospital births.

my MIL also says to take drugs, she works in a medical field as well... at what point in history did giving birth become a medical procedure?!?
#5 of 41 Old 01-12-2006, 11:51 AM

Well, I sure as heck hope it's possible because I'm having a midwife at home, so drugs aren't an option My mom did it, and she is one of those people that says labor is just "sensation." She's smiling and laughing in the labor photos from my sister's birth, even during pushing. I guess a lot of the preparation is mindset. I find myself not discussing my plans because I'm sick of hearing about how I'll need drugs or how I'll die (cough, sister-in-law). I sort of want to protect my vision.

Are you birthing in a hospital? (edit: yes, just re-read, sorry!) I found out that hospitals around my area all have the same idea as your aunt, that you need an IV, blah blah, even the one with the "birth center." It's good to find out their policies during a tour, and make sure your provider will back you up on whatever you decide to refuse. Better find out now than at 38 weeks, eh?

I second the Henci Goer "Thinking Woman's Guide," and I've also enjoyed "Ina May's Guide to Childbirth." We're considering Bradley or Hypnobirthing classes. I'm interested to know if other people found either method helpful. However, my hunch is that I'll just follow my own instincts at the time. We're also having a doula, which could be a great addition for a hospital birth.
#6 of 41 Old 01-12-2006, 11:57 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommitola

Are you birthing in a hospital? I found out that hospitals around my area all have the same idea as your aunt, that you need an IV, blah blah, even the one with the "birth center." It's good to find out their policies during a tour, and make sure your provider will back you up on whatever you decide to refuse. Better find out now than at 38 weeks, eh?

yep, it is going to be in a hospital... but i do live in northern california, in an area where people who think the way i do are not too unusual ... my ob is actually pretty cool, and so far she seems pretty open to a natural approach.

ive also been researching doulas... hopefully that is something that we will be able to afford, this baby making stuff is not cheap.
#7 of 41 Old 01-12-2006, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittyhead
she called my mother and told her that i was being "unrealistic". ... call me crazy, but im pretty tough and barring the unforseen i think i can do it.
I had two homebirths, no drugs.

I am not going to lie to you about the pain. It was excruciating both times. After my first was born, I remember realizing that if I had gone to a hospital I definitely would have BEGGED for drugs.

However, and I cannot stress this enough, I am glad I did not have drugs. There are so many reasons that I could not list them all. There was the obvious: I personally don't feel that drugs are a benefit to the birthing process. There was also:

- I am allergic to a lot of drugs and I was worried about a bad reaction
- Needles freak me out
- Nobody f*cks with my spine
- Nobody f*cks with my baby
- I wanted to be fully aware of the process, fully in the moment
- I wanted a homebirth, so drugs weren't an option
- I wanted to have bragging rights: I did it naturally!! I am a goddess!!!

When I was told I was being unrealistic about the pain, I told people, "Of course I am being realistic. No one said the best things in life come easily."

Mom to : DS1 (11), DS2 (8), DD3 (4), : DS4 (1), and : : :
#8 of 41 Old 01-12-2006, 12:12 PM

My mom had all of us "naturally".

I am not even going to say that I am going to TRY to go natural,I will.I have to go in with the mind set that i can and will do it.I know it will be the hardest thing i will ever do.
I have swithced from the OB i was using to a group of midwives,my OB would look at me like i was yound and stupid when I told her I was going to go natural,she said one time-"we'll see"

You can do it, read everythin gyou can,come her a bunch,find a doula(I have found onw who has just started training and she is doing it for free)

Kaitlin
#9 of 41 Old 01-12-2006, 12:34 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Kittyhead - YOU CAN DO IT!!!!

I had ds1 drug-free. In a hospital. But I have to say that my best advocate was my husband The L/D nurses looked sympathetic, like they just did not know what to do with a woman in labor. I had explicitly told my OB that I DID NOT WANT an epidural....when we went to the hospital, they were ready to hook me up! Because she had sent orders for one.......I guess my point is, if you want a drug-free birth, have a birth plan, don't let ANYONE tell you to just have an epi (unless it is necessary c/s etc, of course) IT IS SO worth
it!
It is really hard to describe until you are there - women have been having babies for a milennia without drugs.....I wont lie either, I think after I had myson, I told dh that I didnt want to do it again But I think that was more the complete exhaustion. I had a 42 hour labor......and am SO ready to do it again! (well, getting there).

And once again, you CAN do it. Really, it is what our bodies were created to do

homeschooling, earth loving Mama to 3 crazy, wonderful boys, ages 10 & 7, & 3 mos.,3 spirit babies                                Inch by inch, row by row.  Gonna make this garden grow  
#10 of 41 Old 01-12-2006, 01:18 PM

Of course you can do it! You may want to consider a doula to help. They can help with labor positions, relaxation, general support & more. Even if you have a great Dr, sadly they are really only there to "catch". You could have a great nurse too, but if its busy, she won't be there all the time.

L

ribboncesarean.gif   vbac.gif  My kids jammin.gif  

#11 of 41 Old 01-12-2006, 01:49 PM

Information is the key -

With ds#1, we didn't have a lot of information. We took the lamaze class, and I wanted to go natural, but left room open for the least invasive (imo) drug option. My water broke at home (which was a bummer because I didn't want to labor at the hospital), so we went in. Eventually I caved and got a shot of demerol - it took the edge off, but also inhibitted my pushing. It took 2 1/2 hours to push ds out. I felt groggy; thankfully he didn't show side affects and began nursing right away. During his labor/delivery, I told dh that I wasn't sure if I wanted to do this ever again.

With ds#2, I felt a bit more in control of my body and told dh we were going natural. I labored at home almost the entire time. The thing was, having had demerol with ds#1, I didn't really ever experience transition, and didn't know I was in it when I was in tears at home. I told dh I needed something, so we went to the hospital. As much as I wanted a natural birth, the pain was extreme and I felt horrible (transition for me includes shivers, nausea, and intense contx). I got in at 9 1/2 cm, and ds#2 was born within 1 hour, 20 minutes of me getting there. As much as it hurt, it was such an amazing experience - I could FEEL everything, I felt in control of what I was doing, I could push fully ... he was 9 pounds, 12 ounces, and was such an easier birth than his 8 pound, 8 ounce brother ... and I believe it was because I was unmedicated.

This time we are 99% sure we are having a home waterbirth, so drugs won't be an option. But before we knew we could switch to a mw, we had already hired a doula for our hospital birth - I don't take direction from dh well during labor and really need a woman there with me (though not family).

You can do it - and I agree with a pp that said she's just not talking about it because she doesn't want to hear anything that would mess with her vision. People have this innate need to tell you all the horrible things of their l&d, and how they needed drugs from the get-go, etc. Stick around here, and read, and definitely see if you can afford a doula (yep, babies are dang expensive!!!). YOU CAN DO IT! (And yes, it hurts like mad, but it is such a constructive pain, imo, and so dang empowering!!! And yes, like a pp, I love the bragging rights of birthing natural.)

Oh, and Mothering Magazine had an article on the untold risks of epidurals in last month's issus (Nov/Dec). I'm not sure if you can still access it on-line; if not, let me know and I can mail you the article. Information = power!

Me + dh = heartbeat.gif ds (7/01), ds (11/03), ds (6/06)
and dd born 11/21/10 - our T21 SuperBaby ribbluyel.gif heartbeat.gif
#12 of 41 Old 01-12-2006, 02:09 PM

I had my son drug-free at the birth center. Honestly It wasn't as horrible for me as many make it out to be. As long as you're prepared, healthy, and supported you can do it. During transistion I was crying and afraid of needing drugs, but by then it would have been too late anyway.

Just remind yourself that your body was designed to do this, it's not a disease or some new mutation that your body can't handle.

Mom of 3 (Evan, Trey, Saffron ) Blogs at findingsummer.com
#13 of 41 Old 01-12-2006, 02:48 PM - Thread Starter

YAY!!! this is what i was looking for, thank you ladies!

mr. kittyhead and i just talked it over and decided that somehow we will find the money to hire a doula, im going to make some calls today.

mr. kittyhead thinks that i can do it.
#14 of 41 Old 01-12-2006, 03:02 PM

Both of my kids were born drug and intervention free.
I was 20 when my first was born. I didn't know much about birth all i knew was the needle for the epidural scared me more than labour pains !! lol
I made it clear to my OB no drugs. Then when i went to register a tthe hospital I made the nurse write on my chart (this was months before i went inot labour) That no one was to offer or speak about any type of pain killer around me. LOL the nurse couldn't believe i was requesting this. But she did it and no one asked me if i wanted anything. I also told the nurse and my ob that when i finally checked into the hospital i'd let them check my dialation and the babies heart beat then i wanted to be left alone to wonder around. And thats what i did. My ob would come and find me and watch me through a contraction or two then leave. Her only rule was when i t got to the point where i couldn't walk through a contraction i had to come closer to my room. The only time the nurses touched me was while i was pushing. I don't know what hospital are like in the States but make sure you write a good birth plan of everything you want and give one to the hospital to put in your file, one to your OB and then keep one with you to bring to the hospital while your in labour. Don't listen to family..lol thats my other advice becasue they don't know what you want only you do. I would jsut nod and smile when my aunts went on about how natural labour is crazy and drugs are the only way to go. Tehy don't need to know your birth plan if they aren't going to respect it.
My second was born at home .
The thing i tell people when they ask me how i did it naturally is, once the baby was born both times my pain was gone. I felt great. With DS #2 i was up and having tea with my parents and ds#1 a couple hours after birth.
#15 of 41 Old 01-12-2006, 03:08 PM

I just think if somebody..ANYBODY, had been honest with me about how the pain could possibly be, I wouldn't have caved with my DD#1. WHen everyone says "It is not that bad" and you are lying there praying for death, you get scared.

Remember though, I did have one NO PAIN childbirth, so it can happen!!

~C~
#16 of 41 Old 01-12-2006, 03:17 PM

Yes, it can definitely be done without drugs!

Just remember, though, (since you will be in a hospital) that when you are going through transition stage you will likely "say" you want drugs (maybe even loudly!) and may even - in the moment - sincerely "want" drugs. But, if you can get through that 30-90 minutes of "temporary insanity" (as I like to call it) you can certainly deliver without drugs!
#17 of 41 Old 01-12-2006, 03:26 PM

I don't think you're being unrealistic at all -- I think, with the best of intentions, she's trying to set you up for failure.

Qualia was born in a hospital birthing center with a doula in attendance. It wasn't entirely intervention-free, but it was pain med-free. I had an antibiotic IV run every four hours because my water broke before contractions started and I was GBS+, and we decided to go with that option. I had a small amount of Pitocin toward the end (around hour 18 of 21 in active labor). I did at that point opt for an equally small amount of Stadol, but didn't realize I'd ripped the IV out of the back of my hand, so no Stadol for me. And in retrospect, I'm very glad, and I think if I had received just a little more encouragement at that point, I would have dealt better with my fears and denied the Stadol (and probably the Pitocin too). And after I delivered I was given something to bring my blood pressure down because it spiked.

Looking back and preparing to give birth again, I can see where my fear of the unknown lead to most of those interventions, because I had a really hard time relaxing (Type A Capricorn control freak in a new situation . . . go figure) and I didn't always recognize the labor pain as "safe" pain and started to lose it a bit in transition.

This time I'm using the same hospital, a different doula, and am feeling pretty darn confident that I can do this entirely naturally this time. And I highly second the recommendation to read Ina May Gaskin, Ina May's Guide to Childbirth. The attitudes presented throughout the book are amazing -- very healthy, very realistic, and very positive.
#18 of 41 Old 01-12-2006, 03:39 PM

Well - here are my stories - all involving drugs ... and the reason WHY I will be at home this time. As usual, I'm long winded So just read it if you want to know about "typical" hospital experiences IME b/c just about everyone else I've talked with has a story like mine...actually most are worse from hospital birthing and avoiding "natural" birth.

dd1 - I was 35 weeks and diagnosed with toxemia. I had to be induced (my BP reached as high as 220+/100+). Started with and IV (standard procedure) and 2 doses of gel at 7 and 11pm and then I was "given" (read: no one asked me if I really wanted it and being my first, I didn't know) demerol and a sleeping pill. "They" said this birth could take days so I'd want to "rest" - woke up at 5:30am to my water breaking. By 7-8 they started pit and just before 9am, they recommended an epidural b/c one of the side effects is lower BP. I accepted b/c I didn't want a c/s. After getting the epidural at 9:30ish, I went from 2cm to 9cm in 20 minutes. For that birth, under those circumstances, I do think that (the epidural) was what my body needed BUT I did not need that sleeping pill or demoral the night before - they both whacked me out totally - so much so that there are parts of her birth I don't even remember - dh has to tell me about them. I had dd1 at 5lbs, 7oz after about 15 minutes of pushing at 10:45am. I had to be on mag sulf and bed ridden for 24 hrs b/c of the toxemia. She went to the NICU. Hospital stay: 4 days
Long story short: not the ideal birth, but considering the circumstances (my toxemia and being totally un-informed), it could have been a lot worse. Luckily I did not have c/s happy drs. IMO, the epidural was necessary as was the gel (that started by ctx - I don't know that I needed the pit) but the other drugs were not.

dd2 - on her due date, I had an ob appt and was sent to the ER b/c of my high BP and dipping + for protein in my urine (signs of toxemia). Turns out I was dehydrated, so the IVed me. As I was IVed, I started to have ctxs but once I was "hydrated" they wanted to send me home. I was still pretty mainstream then so I said "you have me here, I'm on an IV, it's my due date, I'm having ctx - you're inducing me" Of course, they were happy to do so. This was my best birth, but it still involved an IV, induction with pit and ultimately an epidural. However, I had the same experience with this epi, in that I went from 4-9cm in less than an hour. It took me almost 3 hours to push her out though b/c of the epi. Still, I did it, 8#4oz, no tearing, no stitches, ho forceps/suction. It was almost midnight - giving birth at a hospital in the "middle of the night" is so much different than the day time. Things were so much more relaxed and laid back. I held dd and nursed her on my chest before they even weighed her or cleaned her off (practically unheard of at a hospital). I had her almost an hour b4 they even asked for her. It was peaceful considering the circumstances. 2 days in hospital - the next day and discharged the third day since it was a midnight birth.

dd3 was my first natural labor...to a point. I started ctx at 11pm on her due date (having only experienced pit ctx before - I can't tell you the difference, I didn't think I could possibly be in labor it was so tolerable). By 6am, my ctx were lasting over a minute and 2-3 minutes apart, but they were so mild I just didn't think it could be labor. Went to the hospital anyway and sure enough I was 4cm. I was doing fine, really in the groove and the nurse came in and asked me if I wanted an epi. I have no clue why I said yes. I think just the "power of suggestion" and the fact that my labor was so easy I just didn't believe it could last. I had the GBS IV ab too and I think I wanted to ensure things would move fast so I didn't have to have the baby given an ab shot and with my last labors, the epi had moved things along in short order. Getting it this time was horrible. It took a full hour for her to get it in and the back pain from her failed attempts hurt more afterward than did the post-ctx or my perineum. Still, I went from my 5cm to 10cm in about 20 minutes again after that epi. It only took 11 minutes to push out 8lb/15oz and again, no tears, etc. I left the hospital in under 24 hours AMA that time. I got a lot of crap for not allowing an internal moniter, etc. I followed dd3 around everywhere and wouldn't allow many of the "standard" tests and I was just done with the intervention.

I think I'm choosing to homebirth this time as much b/c I don't want to deal with fighting hospital staff and interventions and suggestions that I can't do things w/out those interventions as much as I am b/c I've experienced 2 homebirths and I see what a beautiful experience it is.

My advice is BE PREPARED about what you want and what you don't want. BE RESEARCHED AND INFORMED so they aren't able to "scare" you into interventions whether that be drugs or things like internal monitors, IVs, vaccines, etc. HAVE AN ADVOCATE, whether it be dh and/or a doula - have someone there who can be strong for you when you're at your weakest (not that you're not strong giving birth, but you have to devote so much energy internally, it's sometimes easy to give in to an external source - does that make sense?). Have them remind you why you don't want drugs and that you CAN do it. And let them deal with the pesky hospital staff. b/c IME and IMO, they are going to be just as bad if not worse than what you are currently hearing from your medical friends and relations and it's a whole different situation to "ignore their advice" when you're working physically harder than you ever have before. When you're tired. When you might possibly be in excrutiating pain. HAVE AN ADVOCATE.

You can do it And I'm going to do it with you "naturally" this time...finally!

WOHM married to SAHD, living the dream w/our: 3 girls (14,12,10) and 3 boys (7,5,3) and tie-breaker due Jan 2014

#19 of 41 Old 01-12-2006, 03:45 PM

I did it pain med free in a hospital. I even had pitocin (big mistake pain factor wise) to speed things up (at my request because they wouldn't let me walk around and I wanted to get it over with). It can be done. It's hard, but worth it. I'm not an especially tough or strong person, so I kind of feel like if I can do it then most probably can as well. My mom had six natural births as well and her first was even breech. She thinks that people who use drugs are "wimps". I'm just more afraid of the drugs than I am the pain. My point is that as long as you have your reasons (have someone remind you during labor about those reasons, it's tempting in a hospital to say "screw it" and ask for drugs), and you are determined. You WILL do it It really is so worth it. It gives you such a feeling of pride an accomplishment. Best of luck to you.

Melaya (29) - Mom to Z (9) and soon to be I (due Nov 2013) stork-boy.gif

Birth mom to M (7), O (5), & C (2). winner.jpgnovaxnoIRC.giftriadadopt.jpg

#20 of 41 Old 01-12-2006, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StacyL
Yes, it can definitely be done without drugs!

Just remember, though, (since you will be in a hospital) that when you are going through transition stage you will likely "say" you want drugs (maybe even loudly!) and may even - in the moment - sincerely "want" drugs. But, if you can get through that 30-90 minutes of "temporary insanity" (as I like to call it) you can certainly deliver without drugs!
This is so true! I had no idea what transition was like with ds#1 because of the demerol. When I got there with ds#2, I was begging dh to take me in for drugs! When the nurse told me I was 9 1/2 cm, I remember saying, "So, it's too late for something?" But, knowing now, I know I can not only get through, but work with it, and I also know I can do it naturally because ds#2 was natural - which was how I wanted it.

I am also so glad that this time I'll be surrounded by a doula and mw ...

Kittyhead - yay for you! (And what a cool dh too.) With ds#2 I had an amazing l&d nurse with me the entire time I was there (1 hour 20 mins), and she was the reason I got through the transition as easily as I did. She cemented for me the need for doulas - I know ds#1 would have been natural if I had that kind of support.

#21 of 41 Old 01-12-2006, 05:32 PM

I had a drug-free hospital birth. My L&D nurse was actually pretty cool - she tried perineal massage on me for the first time, and we spent some time talking about the drug-free route (in between contractions). The OB was the big problem...he waltzed in when I was in transition and started arguing with me about episiotomies - I had a birth plan he didn't agree with. :
Like PP said, educating yourself (and self-advocating) are your two best friends. My DH understood what I wanted, but I'm not sure he'd've gotten up in the OB's face if he needed to. Yours sounds a little more on-board
#22 of 41 Old 01-12-2006, 05:47 PM

Kittyhead - Congrats on your upcoming birth! YES, birth can be done without drugs! I thought I was the biggest wimp before giving birth! Here is a link to my birth story. YOU CAN DO IT!!!
http://www.mothering.com/discussions...ighlight=kiera
#23 of 41 Old 01-12-2006, 05:55 PM

My labor and birth with DS 1 was a bit odd, and I know not the norm. I labored to almost 10cm without any medication, then had an emergency cesarean since DS was a footling breech. I labored at home for 5 hours, with little pain, and showed up at the birth center 8cm dialated and with a breech baby. I was taken by ambulance to the hospital to have a c-section, and I remember right before they gave me the epi, the doctor checked my cervix and said, "She's almost 10!"

The recovery from the c-section was 10x worse than labor, which for me was not that painful.

Mama to 3 kids. We live in a yurt!
#24 of 41 Old 01-12-2006, 05:57 PM

Yes you can do it! I had my first two natural in the hospital and plan to have a homebirth this time. I had my first 2 in a hospital. Education is the key. Learn and read as much as you can. It might not be a bad idea to look into a doula too. I had one with my first which really helped.

My first labor was 12 hours. I never asked for drugs. I was devoted to delivering my baby the way I wanted too. Natural is not something the hospital was use to. But I did it

With my second labor was 3 hours. Not much time to do anything

Don't let anyone tell you that you can't. Yes, it is painful at times, but it is a pain that is hard to describe. Nothing I couldn't handle. My dh was awesome too which really helped. I was always amazed at how my body knows what to do. YOU CAN DO IT!! Oh and for the record, I didn't even have a hep lock! Yep, I was one of those patients
#25 of 41 Old 01-12-2006, 06:49 PM

Silly question: what's a hep lock?

#26 of 41 Old 01-12-2006, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyLittleWonders
Silly question: what's a hep lock?
Not silly at all.

Here is what it says in the dicitonary: Heparin Lock (Heplock)
A small tube connected to a catheter in a vein in the arm for easy access.

It can be hooked up and unhooked at anytime. I didn't want any iv's during labor. No need. I didn't need fluid. They tried to tell me that I would need a heplock just incase they needed to administer any medicine.
#27 of 41 Old 01-13-2006, 02:31 AM

You can do drug free if you put your mind to it. But honestly, you dont know how you are going to react. Some people have a very easy birth and others have complications like back labor etc. Even with the best of intentions it to me isnt always worth it. I think that I would rather have some drugs, or even full out drugs if I was in that much pain, then be in pain suffereing and not really enjoying the experience. No matter how much positive support you have, if you are miserable get the drugs, its not going to kill you and they wouldnt use them if they did cause enough problems.

Granted thats just my experience. I just think if my aunt when I say this. She was put through natural labor because her husband wanted it and she ended up resenting her child to the point she abandoned her at 6 weeks old because the pain was soo intense for her that it was all she could think of when she saw her child. Granted that is really extreme but labor is HARD and honestly I wonder if sometimes it isnt connected to postpardum depression etc.

I would try for the drug free and get the support and information, but dont beat yourself up if you end up using something. A positive experience is what is important, not being superwoman and trying to see how much pain your can endure. Thats just my $.02
#28 of 41 Old 01-13-2006, 03:02 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Poopoo on anyone who tries to make you feel that you can't do it. I really hate that. Sometimes I will still get comments like that until I let them know that I have done it naturally before... then they don't have much to say about it And usually the people who are telling you this have not had drug-free births themselves, so they don't want to feel bad about their decisions based on someone doing something different (does that make sense?)

Anyhow, my 2nd birth was a natural totally drug-free birth. Here is a secret.... I am a WIMP! I hate pain! I am a total complainer... if I get a cold, you would think I am gonna die! And I made it through... this just goes to show me that anyone can. And no, I didn't ahve a killer easy 1 hour labor either, it was 24 hours and a pretty normally painful labor. Now, it had nothing on my induced, posterior labor, but still, it hurt. I can watch my birth video anytime I want a refresher

While it hurt, I would compare it to running a marathon (no, I have never run a marathon... I think 5 miles is the furthest I have ever run and that was with a Drill Sgt. screaming at me to go faster the whole time). Your body will be working SO hard and your muscles are going to ache and hurt, but it only hurts because of all the work it is doing. So, if you can keep that in mind, it really helps. Read lots and lots about what you are going to go through, this helps you remain calm when things change and you start shaking or throwing up or the pain changes as it mcan make sense in the logical part of your brain, which will relieve panic, which will relieve pain.

Go into it knowing you can do it, because absolutely you can. Know that your body is going to work hard and well to get your baby into this world. Know that the woman's body is perfectly designed to give birth. Just tell yourself that if Erika did it, you know you can too

Erika, mama to three beautiful kids (plus one gestating), and wife to one fantastic man.

#29 of 41 Old 01-13-2006, 11:06 AM - Thread Starter

reading these replies makes me feel happy, confident and strong. thank you all so much for sharing.

i think i found a doula that looks right for us, im going to call her today.
#30 of 41 Old 01-13-2006, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainsun
Kittyhead - YOU CAN DO IT!!!!

And once again, you CAN do it. Really, it is what our bodies were created to do

If you are informed, you are empowered. Even if you end up having drugs for whatever reason, you will know beforehand what the drug is, what is the effects, the secondary effects, what it does on your baby, etc.... so you can choose which drug you'd rather not have at all for exemple. Hospital staff tend to belittle the mother giving birth. My mother is a nurse and when she was working on a maternity unit, the OB told the woman: "Well, now, do you want to have pain or do you want to have no pain?" What do you think the woman will reply? The woman is in a position of vulnerability when she enters the hospital, this is why as pp said, have an advocate with you, a doula......

I could talk for hours about this topic because my mother is herself a big activist and I was surrounded by that since childhood. There is so much to say..... when you begin to look at the hospital procedure and ask questions, it bothers the doctors.... why do they have women be lying on their back during childbirth? it's the worst position! they never did that before the 19th century.... it was enforced so that the doctor has a better "view".... and OB have a training that prepares them to do an intervention (epi, cut, whatever). They don't learn at school to be discreet, to let the woman be in privacy in a nice room, to let her have a massage, scream if she needs to, walk if she feels like it, eat and drink because the body needs energy to give birth, etc....
I have an excellent reference by a US midwife:
Gentle Birth Choices by Barbara Harper, R. N.
It says a lot about the myths that have been created around childbirth.
Women rock! Their bodies were designed to give birth. When you feel empowered by a birth, you are less likely to suffer from PPD.

And have a look at the stats!

----------------------------------------------------
We are living in the age of technology. Ever since we succeeded in going to the moon, we have believed that technology can do everything to solve all of our problems. So it should come as no surprise that doctors and hospitals are using more and more technology on pregnant and birthing women. Has it solved all the problems that can arise during birth? Hardly. Let's look at the recent track record.

Has the recent increasing use of technology during pregnancy and birth resulted in fewer damaged or dead babies? In the United States there has been no decrease in the past 30 years in the number of babies with cerebral palsy. The biggest killer of newborn babies is a birth weight that is too low, but the number of too-small babies born has not decreased the past 20 years. The number of babies who die while still in the womb has not decreased in more than a decade. While the past 10 years has seen a slight drop in the number of babies who die during their first week after birth, the scientific data suggest an increase in the number of babies who survive the first week but have permanent brain damage.

Is the increasing use of technology saving the lives of more pregnant and birthing women? In the United States the scientific data show no decrease during the past 10 years in the number of women who die around the time of birth (maternal mortality). In fact, recent data suggest a frightening increase in the number of women dying during pregnancy and birth in the United States. So it may be that the increase in the use of birth technologies is not only not saving more women's lives but it is also killing more women. This possibility has a reasonable scientific explanation: cesarean section and epidural anesthesia have both been used more and more in this country and we know that both cesarean section and epidural block can result in death.

We should not be surprised with the recent poor track record of high-tech birth. For many decades in the middle of the 20th century the number of babies dying around the time of birth was decreasing. This was due not to medical advances but mainly to such social advances as less severe poverty, better nutrition and better housing. Most important, the decrease in mortality was due to family planning, resulting in fewer women with many pregnancies and births. Medical care also was responsible for some of the decreasing mortality of babies, not because of high-tech interventions but because of basic medical advances, such as the discovery of antibiotics and the ability to give safe blood transfusions. There has never been any scientific evidence that high-tech interventions such as the routine use of electronic fetal monitoring during labor decrease the mortality rate of babies.

What this means is that putting yourself in the hands of a high-tech doctor and a high-tech hospital does not guarantee you the safest birth. You must yourself take responsibility for your own birth, including the decision to have technology used on you and your baby.
---------------------------------------------------------------
from http://www.midwiferytoday.com/articl...ogyinbirth.asp

And have a look at what the hormones are for! If you have artificial chemical oxytocin, it won't reach your brain as the natural one does. You won't get the relaxation effect of it, + it helps the uterus to deliver the placenta, ++++ etc...... If you have an intervention, you are less likely to nurse the baby right after he/she enters the world.... but nursing helps the uterus to push the placenta out + delivers relaxation hormones too.
And you have endorphins like people who run long distances to make you feel better when there's pain.

Our bodies have been created with all we need! Hospitals are great when needed, but sadly they tend to forget "first do not harm"....

Sorry for being so long.... imagine it would be worse if English was my mother-tongue language

I just wanted to add that I have a private midwife and it costs me a lot but my husband and I have decided what the priorities are for us. We have no car, no big stroller, no big house, we didn't have a big marriage, etc..... but we made a choice because the birth of our baby means more than anything material. The costs is 2 months of salary for me (whereas in France, if you go to the hospital, it costs you NOTHING). But I'd rather have my baby in a country that allows private midwives to help for homebirths. I'll never have my baby in a French hospital and I don't recommend them at all.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page