Anyone planning to nurse and bottlefeed, or one or other? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 33 Old 01-13-2006, 02:44 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I nursed and bottle fed EBM my first one and will probably do the same with this one. I do plan to do things a little differently though and hopefully with have a little better start. For example I didnt get to nurse her till the next day, and we had some major issues....but then I feel at the same time if we were able to get past the more then week long breast strike I should be able to get past anything with the next one.

What are your thoughts. Do you plan to nurse, bottle feed, or do both?
#2 of 33 Old 01-13-2006, 03:02 AM

I have to go back to work eventually (within the first 3 months) so I'll be pumping and bottlefeeding while I'm at work... unless I can somehow swing having the baby at work.

Mamato Ruby Violet joy.gif(6 with autism) and someone 1sttri.gif who should make him/herself known sometime in the next month.

#3 of 33 Old 01-13-2006, 03:12 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I will be breastfeeding. I am a WAHM, so I am very rarely seperated from my kids while they are little and nursing, so I don't think I will have to bottle feed at all.

Erika, mama to three beautiful kids (plus one gestating), and wife to one fantastic man.

#4 of 33 Old 01-13-2006, 03:30 AM

I will be breastfeeding, but I will pump for an evening out with my dh or so dh can watch the baby while me and my dd (now 3) can do something special together. With my dd I only pumped for an evening out. I hated having to pump and since I did not do it often I would have to sometimes pump 2-3 times for one 8 0z bottle. Worth it IMO for a little break. THis time I plan to try to pump a little more and I will probably try to sling baby more at first if I can (I have a bad back w/ 2 herniated discs and am having a c-sec - I am enormously boobed 38G currently and last time I had a hard time finding a sling/puch that worked for me - I am short too so all boob makes it hard to sling when you don't have a long waist - gonna try though.

I am also going to be teaching 2 hours a week. Baby and dd will be there with me, but I would like to have a bottle in the fridge so the caregiver there can feed her if she gets hungry while I teach. Ideally I would like to add an extra pumping session every other day or something (suggestions?) starting at about 3 months - school will start back up when baby is 4 months.

Good luck to you. I admire any woman who is devoted enough to pump for their baby.
#5 of 33 Old 01-13-2006, 06:40 AM

I will have to pump and bottlefeed once I return to work.
#6 of 33 Old 01-13-2006, 07:58 AM

Same here - I'll be pumping and giving EBM with a bottle for nights out with dh and things like that.

With my dd, I was sort of "talked into" giving her formula on a couple of occasions and she always threw it up...I feel so awful for ever giving it to her, so this time, I'm doing what I feel is right for me and and my plan is to give this one breastmilk ONLY.

As a footnote, after I realized that dd wouldn't tolerate the formula, we were EBF until she was around 6 months (when she hesitantly started solids...not gonna rush that with this one either). I even put the pump away unless I was engorged and made sure she was at the breast whenever she was hungry.

I do remember that the first six weeks of bfing were hell...I had so much discomfort...every time dd latched on I would start crying because it hurt so bad, but I was determined to continue. It was a real nightmare and I have a feeling that this one will be just as difficult getting started, but at least I know it will pass and we'll get into a nice rhythm and then it will become super easy.

I bf'd dd for 21 months and I loved every single moment of it...I'm looking forward to nursing again.

Geez...sorry for the ramble!
#7 of 33 Old 01-13-2006, 08:59 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
With ds1 I went back to work pt when he was 10 weeks - I pumped at work until he was 1 year old Man, was I happy when I stopped pumping! I am so looking forward to beinmg home full time with this baby! And not having to pump, although, I will have the pump ready to go should the need arise...I am thinking that bf will be a whole new experience with us together all the time.

homeschooling, earth loving Mama to 3 crazy, wonderful boys, ages 10 & 7, & 3 mos.,3 spirit babies                                Inch by inch, row by row.  Gonna make this garden grow  
#8 of 33 Old 01-13-2006, 09:40 AM

I'll be EBF but hopefully pumping once in a while so that DH and I can go out. We'll see.

B

mom to dd 8/03 ds 6/06 and numero tres, ds 11/11 stillheart.gif

#9 of 33 Old 01-13-2006, 10:47 AM

i'm a work at home mum too, so i'll be EBFing. I don't plan on bottle feeding.
#10 of 33 Old 01-13-2006, 11:05 AM

With my first dd, I had to go back to work for a couple of months until DH got a job (he was finishing defending his PhD dissertation when dd1 was born) so I had to pump and leave bottles of EBM with my mother-in-law, who was watching her. So glad I did though, I was lucky I could pump tons so we never had to supp with formula. With dd2, she never once had a bottle her whole life, since I'm home full-time now and we were never separated longer than the time between feedings Well of course until she was a lot older and eating us out of house and home and could wait to nurse if I was out This baby will be the same - I don't intend to even have a bottle in the house, he or she will be totally EBF until it's time for starting solids and a sippy cup in addition to nursing (7-8 months).

Kerriintactlact.gif blessed single mama to Teresa 8/2/02blahblah.gif, Madeleine 5/28/04dust.gif, Andrew 6/25/06jammin.gif, and Isabelle ribboncesarean.gif11/27/08energy.gif

#11 of 33 Old 01-13-2006, 11:21 AM

I'll be at home, so I'll be breastfeeding. I'll probably get hand pump to help with engorgement if necessary, and my mom recommended that I get at least a small stash of EBM going so that if I start to go nuts and need to get out on my own for an afternoon that DH will have something to feed the nursling. I'm not really sure how that's all going to play out though. Is pumping something you need to "practice"? Does your body just get it or do you have to prime it, if you know what I mean? Also, I read somewhere that the best time to introduce a bottle was between 4-6 weeks old, is that what everyone else has heard?

I'll pretty much play it by ear and see how it all goes, I guess.

Chessa , mama to Silas T (6/06) , wife to Chad . Welcome August Emerson! 2/8/10
#12 of 33 Old 01-13-2006, 11:24 AM

I'm a SAHM, so I EBF. My ds had to be separated from me once when he was six months old for about 6 hours and I had pumped some milk for him, and he refused the bottle! Guess he just liked the boob.
#13 of 33 Old 01-13-2006, 11:31 AM

I plan to beastfeed beyond infancy and let my baby self-wean. I'm gonna attend some La Leche League meetings very soon to inform me as much as possible.
My husband and I made the decision that I won't go back to work so that I can breastfeed the baby among other things. But if he needs me financially, I will be back to work. Given the price of childcare in London, going back to work is not always the cheapest option anyway!
#14 of 33 Old 01-13-2006, 12:35 PM

I'm with Keeta in that I don't know how it all works. I will have to pump and bottlefeed once I return to work, and I'm not quite sure when that will be. Sometimes I'm overwhelmed by how much there is to learn. I suppose it's true LLL is a good resource to check into
#15 of 33 Old 01-13-2006, 12:58 PM

Not sure what we'll do this time. I started to work PT when DD was about 3 months & if went fine. I was nursing with a nipple shield, so I think that made taking a bottle easier. She did get some formula because I couldn't pump enough.

This time, I may be able to bring baby to work with me until its mobile. Plus, I really hope to nurse without a nipple shield, so my luck baby won't take a bottle! So, who knows what will happen!

L

ribboncesarean.gif   vbac.gif  My kids jammin.gif  

#16 of 33 Old 01-13-2006, 02:23 PM

With ds#1, I went back to teaching, so I pumped and he took bottles of breastmilk while I was gone. With ds#2, I stopped working and he nursed on-demand for almost the first 18 months (that was when I first started putting some boundaries on nursing, esp. night nursing). He never took a bottle - or paci - or anything "artificial" - he just liked the real thing. He's still nursing now, so this time I'm be tandem nursing (with ds#1 sneaking a drink when he can), and don't see any need for pumping. I believe in and since ds#2 was born, have practice ecological breastfeeding (well, up until I added some boundaries ... that was when my cycle finally came back too), and will do ecological bf'ing with this one too.

Me + dh = heartbeat.gif ds (7/01), ds (11/03), ds (6/06)
and dd born 11/21/10 - our T21 SuperBaby ribbluyel.gif heartbeat.gif
#17 of 33 Old 01-13-2006, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeta
I'll be at home, so I'll be breastfeeding. I'll probably get hand pump to help with engorgement if necessary, and my mom recommended that I get at least a small stash of EBM going so that if I start to go nuts and need to get out on my own for an afternoon that DH will have something to feed the nursling. I'm not really sure how that's all going to play out though. Is pumping something you need to "practice"? Does your body just get it or do you have to prime it, if you know what I mean? Also, I read somewhere that the best time to introduce a bottle was between 4-6 weeks old, is that what everyone else has heard?

I'll pretty much play it by ear and see how it all goes, I guess.
Pumping is not something you can really practice until after the baby is here and your milk is in. Pumping can be hard. No matter how much or long I'd pump, I'd only get 1 oz. Luckly, I am a sahm so it was like I had to.

4-6 weeks is way to early imho. It take usually at least 6 weeks for the mom and the baby to work things out with breastfeeding. You don't want nipple confusion.

With my first, he had 3 bottles when he was 3 weeks old becasue I had surgery It did fine. With my second I never really introduced the bottle until she was 5 months old and I had to go somewhere. She did ok.

Head over to the breastfeeding forum. Lots of really good info there.

My first self weaned at almost 3. 6 weeks before I had my dd My dd is 32 months old and is nursing 2 a day. I let them both self wean.
#18 of 33 Old 01-13-2006, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeta
Is pumping something you need to "practice"? Does your body just get it or do you have to prime it, if you know what I mean? Also, I read somewhere that the best time to introduce a bottle was between 4-6 weeks old
It's not so much that you need to "practice" it, but you should be aware that pumping success varies from woman to woman - some moms never have much luck with it, while others can flood those containers to overflowing like you wouldn't believe! And it can take a little while to get the hang of it. Just remember - even the most advanced breastpump on the market is no match for a real baby's suckling, so don't be scared that you "don't have enough milk" if you can't pump much (I get calls like this all the time for LLL - moms try to pump for the first time and see they're only getting an ounce or two and they freak out and think that's all the baby has been getting - not the case!)

That being said, pumping can take a little getting used to, and you need to allow a little time to build up your supply if you plan to pump regularly (like those going back to work). The "practice" part is more just figuring out what works for you. The let-down reflex is emotional as well as physical - for some women who have trouble letting down for the pump, looking at a picture of their baby helps, for some, smelling their baby's scent on a blanket or something does the trick. Some women need to distract themselves by reading a magazine or something while pumping, while others need the exact opposite - total quiet and no distractions. So you kinda need to do some trial and error and figure out what helps you pump better. Also, some pumps have variable settings, and changing the setting to mimic your baby's suck-swallow pattern can help. Sometimes the time of day matters - there are moms who can pump a lot at certain times and not at others.

If you need to pump regularly, like for work, you may want to start pumping earlier, both to store some extra milk and to get your supply up. If it's just an occasional thing, you don't need to worry so much about this. I recommend waiting 6-8 weeks before introducing a bottle, if you can help it (obviously if you have to go back to work sooner, you gotta do what you gotta do). And you want someone else to give the bottles to get him used to it - the baby will often refuse to take a bottle from mom when he can smell you and knows that "the source" is there! It takes patience, some babies will refuse the bottle so you need to work at it - some babies prefer a certain type of nipple or a certain flow speed or even a certain feeding position, so you can experiment with all that.

I can't stress enough, if this is your first baby you should start going to LLL meetings now!! We encourage moms to start coming by 4 months pregnant, so they can get to know their local Leaders and attend at least one of each of the four monthly meeting topics before the baby comes (and you never know, you might be early!)

Kerriintactlact.gif blessed single mama to Teresa 8/2/02blahblah.gif, Madeleine 5/28/04dust.gif, Andrew 6/25/06jammin.gif, and Isabelle ribboncesarean.gif11/27/08energy.gif

#19 of 33 Old 01-13-2006, 03:54 PM

I'll be nursing (til kiddo decides she's done), and I guess I'll have a hand pump around for just in case. I don't want to mess with bottles at all at first, but after a few months, I can see how it would be nice to go out for a few hours here and there if I had some EBM stocked up.
#20 of 33 Old 01-13-2006, 05:34 PM

I plan to breastfeed. Hopefully I won't have to work anywhere that I can't carry babe with me.

Mom of 3 (Evan, Trey, Saffron ) Blogs at findingsummer.com
#21 of 33 Old 01-13-2006, 05:48 PM

i plan on only pumping for for some stock piling. breast milk is also great for cuts, scraps, bug bites! it also is good if your little one has a stuffy nose. express a little (or use your freezer stash) and put some in a dropper and drop some in little one's nose. got this from mothering mag a couple issues ago and it totally works!!!

i had bought the uber expensive medela pump in style w/ my first dd cuz i had a flat nipple on my left breast. (looked normal to me, but i guess when dd would go to latch it would disappear) so i was urged into getting a high grade pump for drawing out the nipple. i loved my medela. i could pump both breasts in less than ten minutes and have 2 4-5oz bottles. its also because i have over-active letdown and could spray 5 feet if dd would pop off when letdown happened. that was hard to overcome, cuz both dd's would gag and choke on the breastmilk as it was shooting out! so i learned (from a lac. con. and LLL) to nurse and when letdown was about to occur to lean back and let dd's practically be on top of me, so that way they wouldn't choke on the bm squirting down their throats.

my dd#2 is still nursing on demand VERY frequently, so i think we too will be tandem nursing. it was so cute when i had dd#2, my dd#1 wanted to nurse again (she self weaned at 12mos) so i let her nurse but she just sat there with her mouth around my nipple looking at me like "hit the switch mom, nothings happening!" : she looked so confused as to why no milk was coming out. i was completely shocked that she had forgotten how to nurse in only a year!
#22 of 33 Old 01-13-2006, 06:06 PM

It's likely tandem here since my dd, 27 mths is still nursing and she plans on "teaching baby to nursie." She took a bottle early, but never after 6 mths. She is a big nurser and I also was one with tons of milk. I hear it increases with the second so I'm glad dd can help with the overflow and maybe I won't be engorged this time.

Birth Photographer mom to four blessings
#23 of 33 Old 01-13-2006, 06:14 PM

I'm hoping to bf and bottlefeed ebm. Of course, this all depends on how they are when they arrive. If possible, I am thinking of trying ebf for the 1st 6 weeks when I really won't be doing much other than resting and recooperating. I have heard about moms of triplets who ebf so who knows?

For me, personally, what I would like to do is ebf in the morning and at night and then rotate who gets the bottle in the afternoons only. That is when I would have the most help, be out, or be doing something. I also plan to have a freezer stash.

As for when to start bottlefeeding, they say it's okay to start at 3-4 weeks (in my multiples books). I think it might be something to look into and also depend on what your individual needs are.

Miriam , mom to jumpers.gif
#24 of 33 Old 01-14-2006, 01:00 PM

I will be nursing. I don' t need to pump because I am never babyless in the first 6 months or so, but I keep an emergency supply in the freezer just in case. I pump during that early engorgement period for comfort and then save it.

Lisa, mom to M : 6/02, R : 6/04, m/c 6/8/05, L 6/06, and E 8/07
#25 of 33 Old 01-14-2006, 05:19 PM

I'm planning to breastfeed only. With my current nursling, and my previous one, I worked, so I had to pump for a year with one and 6 months with the other. I am sooooo looking forward to being machine free this time around.
#26 of 33 Old 01-15-2006, 10:50 AM

I WAH, so am planning on EBF as I did with DS. I think he had, maybe, 5 bottles of EBM (there was one point I was WAY engorged around 6 months for some reason, so I used my hand pump to pump the excess, then mixed with cereal, and had some leftover etc.). Since I was home anyway, it was just a lot easier for me to pop him on than worry about getting bottles cleaned, prepped, pumping, etc. He nursed for 14 months, then went right to milk in a sports bottle type thing.

My dear friend has a medical grade double pump (she pumped FT while she was at work and her little one got EBM/nursed when home for almost a year!! ) that she's bringing me, in case I way overestimate my parenting abilities with a 2-1/2 year old and an infant , and I find it would be helpful to have DH help out with feeding the new babe sometimes - but it's not soemthing I'm planning on doing, I'll just have it in case I feel I need it.

Heather, WAHM to DS (01/04)DD (06/06). Wed to DH(09/97)
#27 of 33 Old 01-15-2006, 02:47 PM

My first was the only one with whom I tried pumping and bottle feeding. I found pumping to be fairly easy but convicing baby to take a bottle was NOT easy.

IMHO, if you don't HAVE to be separated for more than a couple hours regularly, I don't think it's worth all the stress of trying to make it happen. So far, I've been able to get a really nice nap or errand or break in 2 hours and work it around nursing.

Before you know it, baby is eating solids and you have lots more options. Six mos is such a speck of time, in the big picture.

I forgot to add, Miriam! How wonderful you are planning to efb your triplets. Definitely people have done it! I hope you have some good LLL resources, but if not, I can put you in touch via email with at least one very experienced mama of triplets who nursed all three for years.
#28 of 33 Old 01-15-2006, 10:32 PM

I plan on breastfeeding while I am at home, but I am going to have to go back to work...so when I am at work and the nanny is there I will provide breastmilk I have pumped for her to bottle feed the baby. I also plan to bottle feed while out in public at like resturants or at church.
#29 of 33 Old 01-16-2006, 02:30 PM

I'm a SAHM so i plan to breastfeed again .
I nursed my daughter til she was 18months old .

Kami(30)knit.gifDH(34)Alex(9),brokenheart.gif(4/05) brokenheart.gif(7/05),Ryker(7)brokenheart.gif(11/10) 
rainbow1284.gif Harlan (11/4/2011)http://www.desertreadingloft.com--Independent Usborne Books Consultant

#30 of 33 Old 01-16-2006, 09:53 PM

I plan to breastfeed, just as I did with DD and let him/her self-wean.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page