First Time Mom Breastfeeding Question - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 20 Old 01-14-2006, 12:35 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
To all those experienced ladies out there who have breastfed their babies, I'm wondering what to do to "prepare" the nipples for the task soon to come. My mom said she wished people had told her to "toughen-up" the nipples before breastfeeding because they were so sensitive. What do you all think?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 20 Old 01-14-2006, 12:37 AM

This is a myth. You don't want to do anything to toughen them because you can cause fissures or irritation. A good latch shouldn't hurt! You should post this question in the breastfeeding forum because I'm sure the experts there can give you lots of wonderful advice.

Wife to a wonderful dh and mom to four beautiful kiddos, dd (3/04):, ds1 (1/06), ds2 (10/08), and ds3 (7/10)
#3 of 20 Old 01-14-2006, 01:21 AM

Just be nice to them, in appreciation of what they're going to be doing! It's much more important to prepare *yourself*, in terms of reading about breastfeeding and taking a class/going to LLL meetings before the baby's born. The kindest thing you can do for your nipples is to know how to get a good latch, how to recognize a latch that's not working, and having resources to call on to help you fix latch problems if you can't figure it out quickly yourself. It's latch problems that lead to extremely sore nipples, not neglecting to rub them with sandpaper before the baby comes.

Lisa , mom to Isaac (9/1/03), Violet (6/19/06), Simon (10/9/09); wife to Eric ; handservant to Grace :
#4 of 20 Old 01-14-2006, 01:27 AM

:
#5 of 20 Old 01-14-2006, 02:58 AM

There's nothing special you need to do, they're ready to go. You could start avoiding soap on the nipples, just to get in that habit. I'd also skip lotions on them and use lanolin instead if the areolas get itchy as you grow.
#6 of 20 Old 01-14-2006, 03:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JZDmama
There's nothing special you need to do, they're ready to go. You could start avoiding soap on the nipples, just to get in that habit. I'd also skip lotions on them and use lanolin instead if the areolas get itchy as you grow.
I second that- stay away from soaps, creams and things that could irritate your skin. The natural oils in your skin are sufficient for your nipples.
Also, consider getting fitted for a good bra should you decide to wear one. Some nursing bras are okay, but regular ones can work just fine. A poor-fitting bra can hinder letdown and make things uncomfortable.

Mama to 5 babies. UCer, too!
#7 of 20 Old 01-14-2006, 03:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amyjeans
Also, consider getting fitted for a good bra should you decide to wear one. Some nursing bras are okay, but regular ones can work just fine. A poor-fitting bra can hinder letdown and make things uncomfortable.
A good bra is always a good idea, but don't get carried away and buy too many in your current size. Your rib cage is probably expanded right now to make room for baby, so your band size may go down after the baby is born (or a while afterward), and it's hard to say what cup size you'll be a month after the baby's born. Plus, different women find that different styles of bras work better for them for nursing, so try a couple of different ones so you can see what you prefer.

Lisa , mom to Isaac (9/1/03), Violet (6/19/06), Simon (10/9/09); wife to Eric ; handservant to Grace :
#8 of 20 Old 01-14-2006, 06:17 AM

: to all the PPs. The toughening-your-nipples thing is a myth, you could really hurt yourself if you try that! Those little bumps you may start to see coming out around your nipple and areola (called Montgomery's tubercles) are little glands that secrete a substance that cleans and prepares your nipples automatically, and that's all you need!

Kerriintactlact.gif blessed single mama to Teresa 8/2/02blahblah.gif, Madeleine 5/28/04dust.gif, Andrew 6/25/06jammin.gif, and Isabelle ribboncesarean.gif11/27/08energy.gif

#9 of 20 Old 01-14-2006, 12:33 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Me chiming in agreeing, too - and wanting to add that buying special "nursing bras" isn't even a necessity - I LIVED in those stretchy camisole tank tops with the built in shelf bras - just stretch it down and then stretch it back up when you're done - no hooks, clasps, etc. I just bought a couple "nice" nursing bras to use when we were out and about. I also loved regular sports bras, worn just a little loose (like one size up from normal). The tanks and the sports bras held the nursing pads in if I was using them, and were so much more comfy to me than a regular bra, even if it wasn't underwire.

Just my $0.02!

Heather, WAHM to DS (01/04)DD (06/06). Wed to DH(09/97)
#10 of 20 Old 01-14-2006, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeni_Houston
To all those experienced ladies out there who have breastfed their babies, I'm wondering what to do to "prepare" the nipples for the task soon to come.
What to do?

ABSOLUTELY NOTHING!

Wasn't that easy?
#11 of 20 Old 01-14-2006, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Those little bumps you may start to see coming out around your nipple and areola (called Montgomery's tubercles) are little glands that secrete a substance that cleans and prepares your nipples automatically,
huh- learn something new every day! I didn't know that! Way cool. Arn't our bodies amazing????

Mama to 5 babies. UCer, too!
#12 of 20 Old 01-14-2006, 03:20 PM

I just wanted to say that I love all the information here! You ladies are wonderful!

Lisa - dd 6-06
#13 of 20 Old 01-14-2006, 07:38 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks so much mamas for all your amazing advice! I'll make sure and put the sand paper back in the wood shop In the mean time, I've located my local LLL and will start attending some meetings! I'm so excited!

It's funny that one of you mentioned visualizing a great breastfeeding experience because I've had several breastfeeding dreams during this pregnancy that were very special. Hopefully a sign of things to come!
#14 of 20 Old 01-16-2006, 07:12 PM

Jeni,
This may seem obvious to you if you've done any reading on breastfeeding at all but one of the most important things you should know going into this is that babies are pretty alert for the first hour after birth and then they become somewhat sluggish so you greatly increase the chances of success if you put the newborn to the breast within the first hour, but sooner is better.

This may not seem to qualify as advice for preparing in advance except to the extent that depending upon how BF'ing friendly your facility is you may need to specifically ask that it happens as soon as possible.

Good Luck.
~Cath
#15 of 20 Old 01-16-2006, 10:19 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks Cath! We're having a home birth with midwives, so I will definitely want to try and get a latch in the first hour after birth.
#16 of 20 Old 01-17-2006, 05:28 PM

My advice is to have lots of snacks on hand for the first week (and more) of nursing. Many people stock up on meals, or people bring you casseroles, etc, but snacks will really get you through the day! I couldn't believe how incredibly hungry I was at that point. I would often eat breakfast at 4 or 5 am, and again when I actually got up for the day late in the morning.

My favorites were chocolate covered almonds and oatmeal chocolate chip cookies. Okay, those are still my favorites It must be almost lunch time....
#17 of 20 Old 01-20-2006, 12:47 PM

While attending those LLL meeting- get a copy of the Womanly Art- the lastest edition. Its written as breastfeeding is the norm and is filled with wonderful information about going back to work, pumping etc. Read it a few times over the next few months and then you can go back to it when baby comes. Attending meetings is cruciel. You can get to know the leaders and they are more than happy to take you calls after the baby comes and assist.

Surrond yourself with other breastfeeding people. Not only nursing moms, but anyone who nursed successfully. So if your mom or mil "did not nurse and you turned out fine", get them some education on breastfeeding asap. Stay away from the sil, neighbor, or friend who said it was an "absolute mightmare" and "failed miserabley"

Also- understand now that nursing babies are nursing babies. If they are hungry, they need to eat now. Watch the baby not the clock. There will be MANY MANY days and/or nights that you spend the entire day or both nursing that baby. They are growing and need that. They are getting enough and that what nursing entails. This is not a every 3-4 hours like formula and that is what it is. If you are changing 8-10 diapers daily, they are getting enough. If not, thats when you can change this.

But remember, holding that baby close and giving the baby what your body produced is the best God given gift you can give this baby other than life itself and it will be tough somedays but I cannot wait to hold another baby close and watch her grow thru what I made.

"The true joy of life is the trip. The station is only a dream. It constantly out distances us."
#18 of 20 Old 01-20-2006, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KateMary
My advice is to have lots of snacks on hand for the first week (and more) of nursing. Many people stock up on meals, or people bring you casseroles, etc, but snacks will really get you through the day! I couldn't believe how incredibly hungry I was at that point. I would often eat breakfast at 4 or 5 am, and again when I actually got up for the day late in the morning.

My favorites were chocolate covered almonds and oatmeal chocolate chip cookies. Okay, those are still my favorites It must be almost lunch time....

i'd also suggest keeping a glass of water next to you when you nurse. it was always when i got all settled to nurse and as my dd's started to nurse i got intensely thirsty. its your body's way of keeping you hydrated.

amy, that was great advice! i second that! somedays i felt like i nursed ALL day. i couldn't imagine not feeding my baby when she was hungry. there was a lady in my playgroup that had a newborn and he started to cry and i said "oh he must be hungry" and she said "its not 1 o'clock yet" i was like are you kidding!!! she was reading some babywise book. whatever that is...
#19 of 20 Old 01-20-2006, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommy2girlies
i'd also suggest keeping a glass of water next to you when you nurse. it was always when i got all settled to nurse and as my dd's started to nurse i got intensely thirsty. its your body's way of keeping you hydrated.

amy, that was great advice! i second that! somedays i felt like i nursed ALL day. i couldn't imagine not feeding my baby when she was hungry. there was a lady in my playgroup that had a newborn and he started to cry and i said "oh he must be hungry" and she said "its not 1 o'clock yet" i was like are you kidding!!! she was reading some babywise book. whatever that is...
Good advice too Kelly!

I also suggest it, but more like keeping a GALLON of water next to you, I forgot all about that- been a while-so true though!

Your story reminds me of a time about a year after our dd was born. We were at a friends house and they just had a baby. We were bringing them dinner and company etc, I think they needed some normalacy. They 3 week old baby was howling and he had his face turned to the side like he was "routing" for mama in his bouncy. She said "oh hes fussy" I said- "hes hungry, did you want me to bring him to you?"
She said "No he won't be ready for at least another hour."
The look my dh gave me almost burned a hole in the wall behind me.
He could not believe she had actually said much less did that!

"The true joy of life is the trip. The station is only a dream. It constantly out distances us."
#20 of 20 Old 01-23-2006, 12:36 PM

BTW- I have a copy of the "NEw beginnings" the LLL publishing they send out every 2 months. I have read it and I would be more than happy to send it to any first time mama who would like to read it to get an idea what its all about.

pm me and I can srping for the stamp and envelope to send it to you! I only ask that you promise to attend a meeting in the near future!

Update later in the day- Jeni I sent the zine to you! Enjoy!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page