REALLY painful ligament streaching? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 01-17-2006, 08:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Alright, this HURTS! I didn't have anything like this with my 1st pg. It feels similar to menstrual cramps on either side of my urerus, low down by my hips. Its kind of in a slow stabbing motion. It woke me up the other night and this morning I actually had to focus and breathe through it for about 15 minutes. Is this normal?

Holly, eternally in love partners.gif with Kolby, Raising Juelie Anise (10y), Behnjamin Shen (6y), and Coen Syaoran (4y). Expecting June 2013 2ndtri.gif

#2 of 14 Old 01-17-2006, 09:19 PM

Yep, I've had them with all three pregnancies. For me, the cramps are always on the right side. They seem to correspond mostly to growth spurts - it seems when baby is growing a bunch, I am getting massive cramps/side-aches. It's a blast when I sneeze and set one off ... : But I guess because I've had them each time that I'm used to them. They were a bit surprising the first time (for me they start early too - about 8-9 weeks pregnant); I thought I might have had an ectopic pregnancy before I learned what was happening. I try to make sure that I turn over all together in bed, instead of leading with my head/shoulders and expecting the rest of me to follow. I also try to "roll" out of bed in the morning and swing my feet onto the ground and then stand up, rather than just sitting up first thing. And when the sneeze is coming on, typically curling up in the fetal position helps. The joys, huh?!

Me + dh = heartbeat.gif ds (7/01), ds (11/03), ds (6/06)
and dd born 11/21/10 - our T21 SuperBaby ribbluyel.gif heartbeat.gif
#3 of 14 Old 01-17-2006, 10:22 PM

I've been having pains on my left side, right between my hip bone and my bump. Well, I guess that makes it the edge of my bump, but you get the idea. I asked my midwife about it (I'm not fond of this one but I'm changing before the birth) and she thought it sounded really strange and said that maybe I just have gas pains. I thought she was a little wacky and I think it's probably the ligament pain like you are having. Nice to know I'm not the only one.

Lisa - dd 6-06
#4 of 14 Old 01-17-2006, 10:55 PM - Thread Starter

I forgot to mention that mine is usually only on the left side... glad I'm not the only one too! Except the bad pain this morning was more on the right side... maybe its trying to catch up? I've only ever had menstrual pain on my left side too, so odd.

Holly, eternally in love partners.gif with Kolby, Raising Juelie Anise (10y), Behnjamin Shen (6y), and Coen Syaoran (4y). Expecting June 2013 2ndtri.gif

#5 of 14 Old 01-18-2006, 12:51 AM

I had that a little bit in my last pg.

Right now I am having those slightly burning, itchy, skin-tearing sensations just under the surface of my belly skin as it is growing.
#6 of 14 Old 01-18-2006, 01:03 AM - Thread Starter

Oh man! I'm just waiting for the skin streaching and tearing fiesta to begin. My biggest complaint last time was the unbearable itching... I itched myself bloody on my tummy and legs daily. Eww. I'm hoping that since I still have a sort of "kangaroo pouch" left over from last time I've got some skin to grow into okay... thats gross...

#7 of 14 Old 01-18-2006, 02:07 PM

Mine's only on the left too. I first started to feel it just before the new year. It was so bad one day I couldn't walk for about an hour and it continued to nag me all day. Luckily, my friend, a midwife, was staying with me and told me it was simply round ligament pain, and very normal. I also feel like I am carrying more on the right and she said it could be that I just feel the left ligament b/c the weight on the right is much greater. Made sense to me. Sorry you are going through it. It was really painful for me on and off for a week. I feel ya.
#8 of 14 Old 01-18-2006, 02:18 PM

I am having the same type of pain in the same areas, but I am also having it in my rib cage. It woke me up off and on all last night. It was really painful. I woke up dh up and he told be to shut up and go back to sleep...oh well!
#9 of 14 Old 01-18-2006, 02:19 PM

Hey! Im not in the DDC, but wanted to say when i was preg.(first baby) I would get them so bad I would have to squat down, no matter where I was at. It was like the muscle was RIPPING apart, it hurt SO bad!
It was on my left side as well. I remember going to get into my car one day, reaching in to get something, and it hurt so bad I was on the ground outside my car in a parking lot, just sitting there, I couldnt stand up!!
I hope that is all it is for you!
#10 of 14 Old 01-19-2006, 04:02 AM

I'm having this same pain on my left side. It's driving me nuts. I did not have this with my first child and it sure is painful. There have been times where I could not get out of bed in the morning because the pain was so bad I couldn't walk.
#11 of 14 Old 01-19-2006, 06:00 PM

Hey mamas! I teach prenatal yoga and it definitely sounds like round ligament pain. The round ligament attaches from your uterus to the mons pubis (front pubic area) on both sides of the body and definitely gets stretched as the uterus grows and expands. It sounds like most of your are taking it easy during these episodes, but remember to always relax your abs and use your arms for support when getting up from a sitting or laying down position. Breathing exercises are greath along with slow twisting in a seated position (like cross-legged). With your inhale, twist to the right, then exhale back to a neutral position. Then vice versa on left side. Hope that helps!!!
#12 of 14 Old 01-20-2006, 12:11 AM

I agree it totally sounds like round ligament pain. I had that on my right side with my DD and it HURTS! It used to stop me dead in my tracks and I would have to stand there and do the lamaze breathing to try and get it to go away. I swear at times it was worse then actual labor pains! And per my dr....yeah it hurts doesnt it? soo sorry nothing we can do about it. GRRR! Gotta love his sense of humor right? I never found anything that helped unfortunately...just trying to move, or not move. Luckily it wasnt constant, just the occasional stop in your tracks pain in the side. So far I dont have it with this one, but its still early. Hope you find some sort of releif. Good luck!
#13 of 14 Old 01-22-2006, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeni_Houston
Hey mamas! I teach prenatal yoga and it definitely sounds like round ligament pain. The round ligament attaches from your uterus to the mons pubis (front pubic area) on both sides of the body and definitely gets stretched as the uterus grows and expands. It sounds like most of your are taking it easy during these episodes, but remember to always relax your abs and use your arms for support when getting up from a sitting or laying down position. Breathing exercises are greath along with slow twisting in a seated position (like cross-legged). With your inhale, twist to the right, then exhale back to a neutral position. Then vice versa on left side. Hope that helps!!!
This is what dh said I have and has been messaging me on my belly the last few nights. (He is a physcl thrpst) But yes I do not remember this last time but I'm sure it happened. I too have to turn my whole body over in bed at night- what a pain in the @ss but oh well.

I was hoping the beached whale feeling would wait until at least 36 weeks or so but no it might be here sooner.

"The true joy of life is the trip. The station is only a dream. It constantly out distances us."
#14 of 14 Old 01-23-2006, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeni_Houston
It works! I thought I was tearing up my insides and I called the OB. She said it was round ligament pain. I have been practicing prenatal yoga and the pain has lessend.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page