Postpartum Cloth - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 18 Old 01-18-2006, 02:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So I have begun my search for pp cloth. I will not use disposables pads this time. With my ds, the pads did so much damage to my girlie parts it wasn't even funny. The problem is I just don't have lots of money to spend on pads that I will only use for a short time. I am a keeper kind of gal Anyway, I found a wahm who is helping big time with my pp cloth. She is such a sweetie so I figured I'd pass her name and store on to you. She is on hyena cart at http://hyenacart.com/AmazClothPadz/ but you can always email her and chat. She has been so nice and helpful to me. Because of her, I will be able to do pp cloth 100% of the time. Just wanted to share. Just for the record I don't know this mama from Adam, just want the best for her and her business because she is truly a gem!
#2 of 18 Old 01-18-2006, 02:09 PM

Thanks for the heads-up! Those look very nice.

I just got and washed up 18 premie cpf's for the first couple of days ... I was going to make holders for them, but I'm thinking since I tend to take advantage of laying around the first day or two, that I'd probably be fine just laying them in my underwear. But after that, once I'm up and around, I definitely need a bunch that are more stable. I should wait until February, but then I think I might order some of hers to try ...

Me + dh = heartbeat.gif ds (7/01), ds (11/03), ds (6/06)
and dd born 11/21/10 - our T21 SuperBaby ribbluyel.gif heartbeat.gif
#3 of 18 Old 01-18-2006, 02:28 PM - Thread Starter

What I liked about them is you don't change the whole pad each time. Just the soaker pad I can't wait to get them. I am in the process of trying to sell things to get money This is already turning out to be an expensive year :
#4 of 18 Old 01-18-2006, 02:38 PM

This is going to be a really stupid and nieve questions...but I kinda need to know...this is my first baby and I was wondering the following:

1. How long does the bleeding last
2. Which is better the cloths or pads
3. If you use pads are there certain ones you have to use
4. How heavy is the bleeding usually
5. if you have a vaginal birth or c/s do you bleed for both

Ok so you don't have to answer theses if you don't want to.
#5 of 18 Old 01-18-2006, 02:53 PM

First time mama here, and I have one more question about pp cloth: how many pads do you generally want/need? I have some Luna Pads that I've used in the past (mostly for backup) for AF (3 regular sized, 1 oversized/nighttime pad). Do I need a bunch more than that? I guess everyone will say it depends on how much laundry I want to do...but what's the ideal number of pads you need to get you through a couple of days?

Chessa , mama to Silas T (6/06) , wife to Chad . Welcome August Emerson! 2/8/10
#6 of 18 Old 01-18-2006, 03:10 PM

1. How long does the bleeding last~ Mine lasted 6wks stoped the day before my 6wk PP checkup
2. Which is better the cloths or pads~ whatever you prefer.. i used disposable with my daughter, but thinking of cloth this time.
4. How heavy is the bleeding usually~ a little heavier than AF but sometimes it gets really light.
5. if you have a vaginal birth or c/s do you bleed for both ~ i had a vag birth, and yes you still bleed if you have a c/s.

Kami(30)knit.gifDH(34)Alex(9),brokenheart.gif(4/05) brokenheart.gif(7/05),Ryker(7)brokenheart.gif(11/10) 
rainbow1284.gif Harlan (11/4/2011)http://www.desertreadingloft.com--Independent Usborne Books Consultant

#7 of 18 Old 01-18-2006, 03:12 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahlynn83
This is going to be a really stupid and nieve questions...but I kinda need to know...this is my first baby and I was wondering the following:

Ok so you don't have to answer theses if you don't want to.
1. The bleeding can last up to 6 weeks.
2. Are you asking if cloth is better then disposables? If so, YES!
3. If you are using cloth pads you will have to use some that are designed for postpartum or heavy flow use.
4. Depends on each person.
5. Yes you bleed with both
#8 of 18 Old 01-18-2006, 03:15 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeta
First time mama here, and I have one more question about pp cloth: how many pads do you generally want/need? I have some Luna Pads that I've used in the past (mostly for backup) for AF (3 regular sized, 1 oversized/nighttime pad). Do I need a bunch more than that? I guess everyone will say it depends on how much laundry I want to do...but what's the ideal number of pads you need to get you through a couple of days?
Talking with Janet, she said I would need 3 of the liners that snap into your underwear and about 10 of the soaker pads. She said that will last about a day or two depending on how much bleeding you are having. She said that her soakers dry really quick, so if you needed to you can rinse them out in the sink with some soap and hang to dry.

I'd drop her an email if you have any questions. She explained everything really well to me!
#9 of 18 Old 01-18-2006, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahlynn83
1. I bled for basically 6 weeks ppd with my first; it was down to about 4 1/2 weeks with my second. But plan for about 6 weeks, though by the end it's pretty light.

2. Personally, I think cloth is much better than disposible. I used disposible with both boys and got major irritation from having plastic up against my skin for that long. I have switched to cloth since then and wouldn't go back.

3. Both cloth and disposible makers make post-pardum or heavy/over-night pads. You will need those in the beginning. Then you will probably use regular pads for the majority of the ppd bleeding and by the end, you will probably be able to use light pads and/or liners. I would start with ppd pads and build a stash from there.

4. My bleeding with my first was the heaviest the first 5 days or so. Then it started getting more like a normal period. The last couple weeks were pretty light. With my second, the heavy bleeding only lasted about 3-4 days, and began tapering from there. But the first day or two are definitely the heaviest. (Though they tend to tell you if you soak more than so much in a hour or something, to call ... they'll let you know how much bleeding would be considered too much when you discharge from the hospital.)

5. Women bleed with both vaginal and c/s births - the bleeding is coming from your uterus so it doesn't matter how the baby comes out.

And no question is silly, stupid, or nieve. (sp?) Ask away!

#10 of 18 Old 01-18-2006, 04:02 PM

I've never used cloth, but from personal experience, I would never use pads again. I used them just for a few days and they are too irritating on your sensitive (read: sore) parts. Plus they are waaaayyy too long - they look like skis!

I used Depends undergarments (the ones that look like underwear) and that was so much better. No chafing, no pain, and you can throw them away. Which was nice, because personally, I had too much else going on too have to worry about washing out some bloody reusable cloths - yuck - or worse, having my Mom or dh do it for me. Good grief!
#11 of 18 Old 01-18-2006, 04:47 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by StacyL
I've never used cloth, but from personal experience, I would never use pads again. I used them just for a few days and they are too irritating on your sensitive (read: sore) parts. Plus they are waaaayyy too long - they look like skis!

I used Depends undergarments (the ones that look like underwear) and that was so much better. No chafing, no pain, and you can throw them away. Which was nice, because personally, I had too much else going on too have to worry about washing out some bloody reusable cloths - yuck - or worse, having my Mom or dh do it for me. Good grief!

Depends are full of the gel like disposable diapers and pads. I can't do that. I guess I'm weird because I don't think as bloody cloth pads as gross. In fact some people dump the blood from their pads and diva cups into their plants. Lots just throw in their cloth pads with the babes diapers. Guess it depends on how you feel about it. Guess I'm crunchier then I thought
#12 of 18 Old 01-18-2006, 06:01 PM

Yet another thing my wonderful best friend blessed me with - about a dozen cloth pp pads. My plan is to spray them with an herbal water spray and freeze them b/c that helped SOOOOO much with my prior births.

Actually since my prior births were hospital - I got the infant disposable diapers stuffed with ice - yes the gel stuff was gross, but that ice felt awesome! I'm hoping to re-create the sensation with cloth this time Has anyone heard anything about these http://www.femepad.co.uk/ - they really appealed to me b/c I love that cold pack feeling - helps me heal and feel a lot better, a lot quicker.

I usually use a diva cup for periods, but sometimes back up cloth and Stacy, I've always just thrown them in the diaper pail with the dipes since I wash those on cold first anyway. Doesn't seem any ickier to me than a cloth diaper...actually it seems less icky than a poopy diaper

It think everyone else about answered the questions - Keeta, I'm hoping I'm okay with my dozen pads b/c I really don't want to buy more than that. I guess I would say/think that "ideally" you could even have 18-24 pads at your disposal b/c then you could change every couple of hours that first day or so (which I like to do, keeps me more comfortable) but that seems excessive considering you're not going to use post-partum pads enough later on to justify almost 2 dozen. I would think 8 to a dozen should suffice.

WOHM married to SAHD, living the dream w/our: 3 girls (14,12,10) and 3 boys (7,5,3) and tie-breaker due Jan 2014

#13 of 18 Old 01-18-2006, 06:14 PM

First make up a strong pot of comfrey tea. Bring aprox. 2 quarts of water to a boil, remove from heat then throw in clean fresh comfrey leafs. (about 8-10 large leaves or if not available, about 1/2 to 1 ounce of dried leaves). Let steep overnight or at least 4 or 5 hours.

Then take 4 to 6 large sized sanitary napkins (cloth or disposable should work). Cover a shallow baking pan or cookie sheet w/sides with foil and lay the pads out. Pour the tea over each pad, soaking well, then put them in the freezer. After they are frozen cover each with plastic wrap (so they don't stick together) and stack them in a container (or not) and keep frozen till birth.

After the birth remove the plastic wrap and cover a pad with a clean sterile wash cloth or several layers of sterile gauze. This feels great on the perineum, aids swelling and the comfrey (which contains allantoin) aids healing. This can go on right away and again after stitches. They can be worn for the next few days. Your regular sanitary pad helps hold it in place, of course change it after about 45 mins to an hour as it gets soggy.

WOHM married to SAHD, living the dream w/our: 3 girls (14,12,10) and 3 boys (7,5,3) and tie-breaker due Jan 2014

#14 of 18 Old 01-18-2006, 06:23 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcimom

First make up a strong pot of comfrey tea. Bring aprox. 2 quarts of water to a boil, remove from heat then throw in clean fresh comfrey leafs. (about 8-10 large leaves or if not available, about 1/2 to 1 ounce of dried leaves). Let steep overnight or at least 4 or 5 hours.

Then take 4 to 6 large sized sanitary napkins (cloth or disposable should work). Cover a shallow baking pan or cookie sheet w/sides with foil and lay the pads out. Pour the tea over each pad, soaking well, then put them in the freezer. After they are frozen cover each with plastic wrap (so they don't stick together) and stack them in a container (or not) and keep frozen till birth.

After the birth remove the plastic wrap and cover a pad with a clean sterile wash cloth or several layers of sterile gauze. This feels great on the perineum, aids swelling and the comfrey (which contains allantoin) aids healing. This can go on right away and again after stitches. They can be worn for the next few days. Your regular sanitary pad helps hold it in place, of course change it after about 45 mins to an hour as it gets soggy.
Oh that sounds very soothing I will have to give that a try!
#15 of 18 Old 01-19-2006, 12:05 AM

oh! one more thing to think about!
I hate hate hate pads of all kinds. I suppose tampons are totally out of the question, right? (since you said there aren't any stupid questions... )
#16 of 18 Old 01-19-2006, 12:23 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selesai
oh! one more thing to think about!
I hate hate hate pads of all kinds. I suppose tampons are totally out of the question, right? (since you said there aren't any stupid questions... )
Yes tampons are a big no! I hate pads too, but you can't go sticking anything up there after having a baby

After you start having periods again you should look into the diva cup or keeper!
#17 of 18 Old 01-19-2006, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coco4cloth
Yes tampons are a big no! I hate pads too, but you can't go sticking anything up there after having a baby

After you start having periods again you should look into the diva cup or keeper!
: Normally I don't like pads either, just because of the bulk (though cloth are soooo much more comfortable than disposible). But after you get your regular AF back, I'd definitely recommend the diva cup - I mine!!! I basically forgot about my period most the time with it.

#18 of 18 Old 01-19-2006, 11:46 AM

"Yes tampons are a big no! I hate pads too, but you can't go sticking anything up there after having a baby"

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page