Sling/Wrap Recommendations? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-19-2006, 11:26 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi all:

Here's the ultimate question for discussion!!! Can you all recommend a good sling or wrap? I had one with dd1 but I hated it because it was not easily adjustable. It was a homemade sling that I bought off of the internet and not a "name brand" per se. I know that I'm going to need one that's up to the task this time!!

A friend of mine recommended the "over the shoulder baby holder". Any other advice?

TIA!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-19-2006, 11:31 AM

I like the New Native. The only downfall is that it is not adjustable, so you have to make sure that you provide accurate measurements. The one I ordered is too big and is collecting dust.

B

mom to dd 8/03 ds 6/06 and numero tres, ds 11/11 stillheart.gif

Old 01-19-2006, 11:44 AM

I love pouch slings
hotslings & kangaroo korner slings (kk is adjustable) are two of my favorites. Also, Ergo has a wonderful fromt/back carrier & it can be used up to 60 lbs!

Mamma's Milk is a great website w/ sling/carrier info!

hope this helps!
Old 01-19-2006, 12:33 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
We have a maya ring sling that I used a TON when ds was like 10 mos and up. Great for hip-carrying a big baby, IMO. I used this until ds was about
1 1/2 years.

I just got my hemp hotsling I can't wait to use it - it is a pouch-sling that is not adjustable but I think kit will be easier to use this with a little baby. (www.hotslings.com)

I hope to make a mai tei like carrier - a mama I met had made one out of a fleece blanket and her baby looked so comfy and happy. She had just made it all one piece with 2 straps..looked very cool. I hope to find a basic pattern to accomplish this They are really expensive to buy made.

Also, regarding the over the shoulder - I saw one of these in a store and thought that it looked overly bulky/ large. But I didn't try it on, and it is reccomended y Dr. Sears, so......

homeschooling, earth loving Mama to 3 crazy, wonderful boys, ages 10 & 7, & 3 mos.,3 spirit babies                                Inch by inch, row by row.  Gonna make this garden grow  
Old 01-19-2006, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainsun
I hope to make a mai tei like carrier - a mama I met had made one out of a fleece blanket and her baby looked so comfy and happy. She had just made it all one piece with 2 straps..looked very cool. I hope to find a basic pattern to accomplish this They are really expensive to buy made.
Just wanted to point out a great website about babywearing: http://www.mamatoto.org/ It is awesome! At the top of the page there are different drop-down menus, and one of them is "Make" as in, make your own sling. They have both sew and no-sew patterns, and I think the mei tai is what they call the ABC pattern (not 100% on that). But they also have no-sew directions for how to make something like the Moby wrap (just a reallllly long piece of fabric!) which is something I definitely want to try.

I've heard nothing but great things about Hotslings, so I think I may have to get one. I've also heard good things about these folks:

Peekaboo Made of fleece - might be a bit warm for summertime?

Lucky Baby Wear Nice fabrics and I think most are reversible!

Chessa , mama to Silas T (6/06) , wife to Chad . Welcome August Emerson! 2/8/10
Old 01-19-2006, 01:04 PM

How am I supposed to know what would work best when I have never used a sling before or had a baby before?
Old 01-19-2006, 01:12 PM

Selesai - I hear you. I've never had one either, so I've been mostly asking friends what they thought and reading reviews here. I've heard overwhelmingly good things about the Hotsling. I've heard that people either love or hate ring slings (i.e. Maya), so I'm going to hold off until the baby is born and I can try one out. Oh, and I've heard great things about the Ergo for when they're a little bigger. If you can find a physical store that sells slings most will let you try them on. Of course, this works better if you have the baby with you so you can see how they feel. Also, I've heard some babies can be picky about how they like to be held, so really, it seems a lot like a crap shoot.

On the other hand, if you end up buying something that you or the baby doesn't end up liking, there's always eBay! Especially if it's barely used, I'm sure it'll get snapped up in a heartbeat. Or the TP.

Chessa , mama to Silas T (6/06) , wife to Chad . Welcome August Emerson! 2/8/10
Old 01-19-2006, 01:32 PM

I've tried them all (Bjorn, New Native, Ride-On, Ergo) and Hotslings are my favorite. Plus Kristin (the owner) is really good on the phone to help with sizing. You can exchange it if it didn't fit right.

The Hotsling is the most versatile also in terms of length of usefulness. The Bjorn is only good for a limited time, the Ergo is only good after a certain age, but a Hotsling you can use continuously from newborn to toddlerhood. I like the ones with a padded siderail. And they have great colors/fabrics. My Bebe Luv Sateen one goes with any color I might be wearing.

http://www.hotslings.com/Catalog/product.php?id=51
Old 01-19-2006, 01:41 PM

i absolutely ADORE my hotsling!!! i use it for my 19mo old right now as a hip carrier and plan to use it for this little bean too. im little, only 4'11" so ring slings don't work well on me, cuz of the tail of material that drags on the ground i like this one, cuz there is no adjusting. it is what it is....LOVE IT!! plus they have great fabrics!
Old 01-19-2006, 01:53 PM

Disclaimer: I really in this post, so if you know all about the different types of baby carriers, just scroll down to the end for my opinion on what I'd get if I was starting from scratch. The rest is info for people who are "new" to babywearing if you are interested

Okay, I am not a sling fanatic, but some of my best friends are, so from what I've gleaned from their conversations, here's some additional sites to check out:

www.peppermint.com (information and all kinds of carriers for purchase)

and http://www.thebabywearer.com/ - Baby Wearer is an independent forum that not only has info and discussions, but a trading post where you can buy and sell carriers specifically.

Finally, NINO is an organization http://www.nineinnineout.org/ that may be of help and may have local chapters where you could even "try" slings as well.

Here is what is "hot" in the baby wearing world as far as I know (again, this is secondhand info from true fanatics who are some of my best friends):

Wraps: Didymos, Moby, Girasol, Easy Care, Ellaroo Wrap are some "namebrands" - wraps are long (like 15 feet, or 5 yards give or take) strips of cloth that you (surprise, surprise) wrap around you in all kinds of different ways and are from what I hear GREAT for newborns/infants, but many people swear by them well into toddlerhood as well. You can not only front or back carry, but "rucksack" and even create a "sling" effect with a wrap.

Mei Tai: Kozy carrier, Mei Tai Baby, Free Hand are some of the hotter places to buy from. These are essentially a square of fabric with 4 straps coming out at the corners. You tie the bottom straps around your waist and the other straps go over your shoulders and then around and under baby's bum to form a seat out of the square of fabric. They can be used with newborns, but from what I've heard are better for older infants (6mo+) through toddlers and can be used for front or back carrys.

Ring Sling: Maya, OTSBH, Taylor Made, Zolo are some of the names that come to mind here. These are just what they suggest a carrier with rings at the shoulder that make the sling "adjustable" They are great for nursing in as the "main hold" is like a cradle with baby at your breast, but they can also be used to hip carry, front forward carry and even back carry if you're proficient in their use. Thoughts I've heard are that the OTSBH (Sears recommendation) are just too padded and bulky and most of the mamas I know who prefer ring slings really like the maya.

Pouch: Hotsling, New Native, Maya has a version, Kangaroo Korner are the names that come to mind. These function as a sling in that they can "cradle" your baby, but are not adjustable so size will be important. You can also use a pouch do most everything a ring sling can, but I've mostly heard that they are most useful for newborns and young infants but can transition into toddlerhood.

Soft Carrier: Ergo, Sutemi, Baby Trekker - think Baby Bjorn or Snugli but like 80X better!! I absolutely *love-love-love* my Ergo. It works from newborn but I still in fact can be found to carry by 4 and 6yos in it. My husband is not a babywearer, but this is the type of carrier that most dads IME are willing to use. It functions a lot like a mei tai in that you can front carry and back carry, but you can also hip carry and with a baby trekker you can front carry with baby facing out. But instead of tying straps, there are adjustable straps with buckles. They aren't as "pretty" as most slings, wraps, pouches and mei tais, rather they are more practical and plain looking. Another thing is that the sites will say you can breast feed with babe in these carriers, but I don't think that's realistic or comfortable - but they are great for long walks and hiking and really easy to get baby in and out of.

There are other carriers of course, but these are the typical versions. A podegai for instance is like a really wide mei tai with only two longer straps. It's like a blanket that goes around baby and you and then you bring the straps all the way around you under their butt and tie to create a seat. I don't see how you could nurse in one though. Rebozos are like wider and shorter wraps that can function much like a sling or pouch.

Personally what I have and what I'm going to use is:
Sutemi (this I think is going to be more comfortable for wearing a newborn than my Ergo - I received this as a gift)
Podegai (I got this for really cheap or I don't think I'd own one, the thing I like most about it is that b/c it's as wide and long as a big baby blanket when I wear baby in this, it will cover my fat whereas the sutemi is going to be strappy and exentuate my rolls)
New Native (this is a pouch that my friend lent me, I think I'll be using this a lot with a newborn for discreet breastfeeding and just having bean close!)
Homemade Wrap (I bought 5 yards of fabric and hemmed it and have my own wraps, I'll use these, but I don't know how much b/c in my opinion having all that material wrapped around you is going to be hot and this will be a summer baby)
Ergo (I know I'll use this all the time once baby turns 6mo or so - I really like it!)
I may also get a mei tai or moby wrap from friends of mine for a gift.

If I were starting from scratch, I think I would just get a pouch OR ring sling AND a wrap. And then maybe at 4-6mo, I'd try to sell off those and buy a mei tai and/or Ergo.

Have fun!! It's like CDing - there's a whole world to discover!!

WOHM married to SAHD, living the dream w/our: 3 girls (14,12,10) and 3 boys (7,5,3) and tie-breaker due Jan 2014

Old 01-19-2006, 03:28 PM

I have a Kangaroo Korner ring sling that i liked with my daughter and i plan on gettin a kangaroo korner cotton pouch to use with this baby

Kami(31)DH(35)Alex(11),(4/05) (7/05),Ryker(8)(11/10) 
Harlan (11/4/2011)http://www.desertreadingloft.com--Independent Usborne Books Consultant
Old 01-19-2006, 05:26 PM

Keeta - thanks for the link to mamatoto.org, that is a cool site! And I believe that ABC means "Asian Baby Carrier," as the mai tei style originated in the far east. Just a little pice of info I have gathered along the way

homeschooling, earth loving Mama to 3 crazy, wonderful boys, ages 10 & 7, & 3 mos.,3 spirit babies                                Inch by inch, row by row.  Gonna make this garden grow  
Old 01-19-2006, 06:52 PM

Definitely go for the Ergo, Moby, and Maya. They will cover all the bases and it's nice to have variety! I took a baby wearing class in Seattle and these were by far the best carriers I though.
Old 01-19-2006, 07:11 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I like to own a few different styles as usually a sling has it stages and situations it works best for and then something else would work better in other times and situations. Here are the ones I currently have:

1) Hug-a-bub wrap- I LOVE this wrap while my babies are little. I do craft shows and farmers markets all summer/fall, I may be wearing my baby for 15+ hours at a time while I try to sell my goods. This equally distributes their weight across both shoulders and my back, makes them feel so much lighter. The cons for this one: I haven't figured out how to nurse in it without popping baby out, it takes a bit to put on (although, I put it on before I leave the house so it is easier), once baby gets heavy (over 15-20lbs) I found the jersey knit material to be too stretchy and require too much readjustment

2) Maya- This was my first sling and it is a good all around sling. It is EASY to nurse in, can be used with infants-toddlers, it is unpadded which is great for humid, summer babies, it is super fast and easy to put on and off. Cons: it pulled at my shoulder for longer wearing, wasn't as comfortable for long wearing like hug-a-bub

3) mei tai- I bought this from a local WAHM, it is a hemp one and kinda hippie looking I really like doing a back carry with this, my little guy couldn't wiggle out of it and he was high enough up to keep an eye on stuff, he was comfortable for long ammounts of time. It was fairly comfortable... better than the maya for long days, I have only done the rucksack carry with him, it would probably be better if I crossed it across my chest, but I have huge breasts and I don't think it would look very good Cons: I can't wear it right now, my belly feels too big. Takes more effort to put on than the maya, this one is tricky to put on outside in rainy conditions as the straps drag on the ground.

Erika, mama to three beautiful kids (plus one gestating), and wife to one fantastic man.

Old 01-24-2006, 12:15 AM

I love my Moby Wrap. Great for toddlers too!
Old 01-24-2006, 03:22 AM

These are what I have/ordered/use:

1. Rebozo - a short wrap (ties over one shoulder like a sling). I love this, and ds#2 lived in it for the first few months until I finally made a pouch for him (then we traded off depending on my mood). For a summer baby, I think I would get an all-cotton Rebozo. They are beautiful, and double as a blanket, pillow/changing area, shawl for mom ...

2. Ring slings - I make my own (pretty easy to do if you can sew straight lines) and much much prefer them unpadded. I also like to keep the tail open as it makes a good head cover-up for a sleeping baby, or even a nursing cover if you need.

3. BabyHawk Mei Tai - I have wanted a Mei Tai for so long, and tried to convince myself that I was going to get around to making one, but gave in and ordered one. I can't wait to get it! I plan on using it now with ds#2, and eventually with new baby too.

4. Simple wraps - I plan on making a few of these - basically a piece of lightweight cotton fabric (like quilter's cotton), cut & hem it to about 36" - 40" wide by about 5' - 6' long. There are quite a few ways to wear a baby with a long piece of fabric and they are pretty versatile (plus pretty inexpensive, especially if you sign up for JoAnn's coupons and get 40% off a cut of fabric!).

5. Korean Podegi - I plan on making one of these as they are less complicated than Mei Tai's. I'm thinking I'll get a lot of use of this when the weather turns cooler and the baby is about 6 months old, as the main part is a large "blanket" and there is simply one long strap across the top. These allow you to tie without using the shoulders, which looks interesting.

6. Pouch - I've made one (need to make a new one though as mine has seen better days - didn't realize the use I'd put it through when I made it 2 years ago) and love it. Nothing to hassle with at all ... fold it in half like a hot dog bun, and pop baby in. As ds#2 got bigger, I could put him in at the hip and then slide him around to my back if I didn't want his hands easily getting into whatever I was doing. I am tempted to buy one from Lucky Baby Wear as she has some cute fabric on sale, and would be about the same price as if I made a reversable pouch (well, if you factor time into it).

If you are at all inclined to sew (seriously, straight lines is what it takes), then Sleeping Baby has great directions on sewing your own collection of baby carriers.

Me + dh = heartbeat.gif ds (7/01), ds (11/03), ds (6/06)
and dd born 11/21/10 - our T21 SuperBaby ribbluyel.gif heartbeat.gif

User Tag List