Colustrum at 21 weeks? Anyone else? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 01-20-2006, 06:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
This is probably TMI, but I watched a video clip this morning with a baby crying, and when it was over I realised that I had leaked colustrum on one side.

Is this normal at this stage of pregnancy? Is anyone else experiencing it? At first I didn't know waht was going on, but then I realised I was able to hand express it. So strange! I have never been pregnant before so this is all new to me ;-)

Freya
#2 of 11 Old 01-20-2006, 06:26 PM

Oh yeah, thats normal! With my first pg I didn't get (or notice perhaps) colostrum until the 3rd tri, but with this pg I've had it since about 10 weeks! I think its so amazing how our bodies get ready to nourish our babies extra early, just incase things don't go according to nature's original plan! I also have a friend who is 36 weeks in her 2nd pregnancy and for quite sometime when her toddler (who took breastmilk from a straw but never actually breastfed) gets her face near her breast she experiences full on let down. Aren't women amazing?

Holly, eternally in love partners.gif with Kolby, Raising Juelie Anise (10y), Behnjamin Shen (6y), and Coen Syaoran (4y). Expecting June 2013 2ndtri.gif

#3 of 11 Old 01-20-2006, 09:50 PM

Yeah - I suspect my milk is starting to change, or at least to have some colostrum in it, because my older nursling, who only nurses once every few days now, says my milk tastes "kinda yucky" now (thanks a LOT kid! ) and my younger nursling, who still nurses a decent amount, has started, pretty suddenly over the past week or so, having lots more bowel movements that are much softer (from like 3-4 poos per week to 1-2 per day).

Kerriintactlact.gif blessed single mama to Teresa 8/2/02blahblah.gif, Madeleine 5/28/04dust.gif, Andrew 6/25/06jammin.gif, and Isabelle ribboncesarean.gif11/27/08energy.gif

#4 of 11 Old 01-21-2006, 08:37 AM

This is my first baby and I'm 19 weeks but I can tell I have a few drops of colostrum on my nipples sometimes..... I'm very happy about it actually I can't wait to give my milk to the baby, am very excited about breastfeeding
So yeah, I guess our bodies are different and it's possible to have colostrum even before 3rd tri.
#5 of 11 Old 01-21-2006, 02:29 PM - Thread Starter

I am so in awe of our bodies sometimes, it's crazy that they just know what to do!
#6 of 11 Old 01-21-2006, 03:00 PM

With my daughter i noticed i could get some in the 3rd tri and this time i havent tried but i already feel way engorged ugg and its been like 10months or so since i stopped nursing my daughter.

Kami(30)knit.gifDH(34)Alex(9),brokenheart.gif(4/05) brokenheart.gif(7/05),Ryker(7)brokenheart.gif(11/10) 
rainbow1284.gif Harlan (11/4/2011)http://www.desertreadingloft.com--Independent Usborne Books Consultant

#7 of 11 Old 01-22-2006, 05:25 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
yup - I actually noticed it a few weeks ago - I was at about 18 weeks I was shocked because I dont remember it coming in until around 8 or 9 mos last time. I dont think my ds likes it necuase he kinda suckles really soft sometimes, I think he is getting the colostrum.

Yes, I must agree that our bodies are wonderful

homeschooling, earth loving Mama to 3 crazy, wonderful boys, ages 10 & 7, & 3 mos.,3 spirit babies                                Inch by inch, row by row.  Gonna make this garden grow  
#8 of 11 Old 01-22-2006, 06:36 PM

I haven't noticed leaking yet, but I've found dried milk on my nipples at night when I get ready to shower. LOL So I know I'm starting to leak a bit.

Mom of 3 (Evan, Trey, Saffron ) Blogs at findingsummer.com
#9 of 11 Old 01-22-2006, 10:52 PM

well, add me to the "freak show" (and I totally mean that in the most loving - sometimes - our - bodies - are - amazing - and crazy way!)

With my first pregnancy I never noticed it ... but with this one I've just this week started to have a bit. I was worried since it seems kinda early. Nice to come here and find out I'm not the only one with a wet bra

best wishes, mamas! Won't be long until we have our little nurslings in arms

knit.gifKara~ Rockin' Granola wife to Christopher and mama to J (Nov. '01), M (June '06), L (May '08) and stork-girl.gif (edd 8/3/11)
2011:  a year to Make Do, Do Without, or Do It Ourselves 
#10 of 11 Old 01-23-2006, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnittingKara
Won't be long until we have our little nurslings in arms
I can't wait!!!
#11 of 11 Old 01-24-2006, 11:44 AM

i had colostrum since 13weeks, and still have it coming out. I thought it was rather early i was leaking, but OB says its normal.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page