Who does NOT have name for the baby?? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 42 Old 02-03-2006, 01:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Just seeing if we are the only ones...

We have nothing. NO idea. Poor kid is going to be nameless!!

And I had such good names if it was a girl....

~C~
#2 of 42 Old 02-03-2006, 03:02 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
We have a list of favorites, but we will not be picking one until after our baby is born. My husband and I feel quite odd about naming someone we havent met face-to-face, so this baby will go nameless until June. So, nope, you aren't alone! I have known a few people who went days or weeks after the birth to name their child. One woman I know went 5 or 6 weeks before they found just the right name for their kiddo. So, you really aren't alone out there

Erika, mama to three beautiful kids (plus one gestating), and wife to one fantastic man.

#3 of 42 Old 02-03-2006, 03:06 PM

that would be me.....and I'm not looking forward to "the discussion" if we find out it's a girl on Monday....I don't like any of the girl names he likes, and he doesn't like any of the ones I like well, that's not true - one of the ones he likes I could tolerate if we used the nickname day-to-day.

If it's another boy, we've already got a couple we agreed on from last time, so that's no problem.

We'll see on Monday whether we're gonna get to take the easy way out or whether negotiations will begin!

Heather, WAHM to DS (01/04)DD (06/06). Wed to DH(09/97)
#4 of 42 Old 02-03-2006, 03:25 PM

DH has decided he doesn't think he wants his grandmothers' names for any so I only have a first name for 1 and I'm working on getting him to accept my other grandmother's name for another. He thinks it is too early.

Miriam , mom to jumpers.gif
#5 of 42 Old 02-03-2006, 03:40 PM

We haven't picked names either. I have some ideas but Hubby isn't thrilled with any of them. We are not finding out what we are having so we'll be waiting til June! My daughter was un-named for 4 days when she was born. My husband and I finally came to a decision when we were filling out the paper work to be released from the hospital!
#6 of 42 Old 02-03-2006, 03:45 PM

Me! Poor little no-name. So far, she's been called Festus and Ms. Pac-Man, though. We have a mix and match list of first and middle names, and we'll probably keep adding to that and decide once we meet her.
#7 of 42 Old 02-03-2006, 05:00 PM

Yeah, not much here for names as well. At first I was sure I wanted to name her Nova but now I'm not sure. And we've thought of Eva, Evelyn, and the latest is Julia. So we're going all over the place! I do want to name her before she is born... I feel like it would be harder to name her AFTER she's born, because, well, babies change so much, so quickly.

Mama to 3 kids. We live in a yurt!
#8 of 42 Old 02-03-2006, 05:02 PM

Guess, we're in that boat too! We do chat about it here and there, but are far from making a decision. This child may actually remain nameless until the birth, which is cool, I have just never done that before. I'm sure like so many others, we have so much going on that we rarely have time to discuss it. And it seems to get more and more difficult with each child.

mimid - I just had to comment. Dh thinks it's too early for you to think of names? You have to come up with 6 of them...seems a little overwhelming to me! LOL

Nichole, mama to 6 blue-eyed babies, LCCE, doula, apprentice mw
#9 of 42 Old 02-03-2006, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommitola
Me! Poor little no-name. So far, she's been called Festus and Ms. Pac-Man, though. We have a mix and match list of first and middle names, and we'll probably keep adding to that and decide once we meet her.
When I first read this, real quick, I thought you wrote "Festivus" and was cracking up - I thought it was a great nickname......Any other Seinfeld fans out there?

My nickname to date has been "nito", as in "incognito", cause the little bugger seems to be hiding most of the time.

Heather, WAHM to DS (01/04)DD (06/06). Wed to DH(09/97)
#10 of 42 Old 02-04-2006, 03:58 AM

We have talked about a few names, but we are far from actually choosing anything. We just had our ultrasound this week, so now that we know the sex (BOY!) we figure we can really get serious about names. I'll probably go pick up a baby name book tomorrow...there are a couple of names that we both like that keep coming up but I feel like we could be missing some good ones.

Anyway, we're pretty far from having a name for this kid, but honestly, the actual birth seems so far away still that it doesn't seem to me like a problem. We have lots of time still.
#11 of 42 Old 02-04-2006, 12:33 PM

You're not alone, mama. My little pea is nameless, too. Dh and I do this though...argue and argue and argue over names that we like and then we wait until the last minute before we finally choose something. We're on our 4th babe so I guess its worked so far, lol!

Dh says I just like to wait til I'm pushing so I can get my way, lol!

Ashley~certified nurse-midwife mama to 6 little novaxnocirc.gifhomebirth.jpglotbirth.gif loves, including sweet Cordelia Jane born at home waterbirth.jpgon 11/12/10.
#12 of 42 Old 02-04-2006, 03:29 PM

WE are calling ours Goonie. Goon, goonlet, G-dawg.
No real names yet... maybe we'll come up with something before the birth.. but I think we'll name this babe after we meet him/her!

Mamato Ruby Violet joy.gif(6 with autism) and someone 1sttri.gif who should make him/herself known sometime in the next month.

#13 of 42 Old 02-05-2006, 12:19 AM

I thought it was still early for a name. We haven't really even talked about it much, other than he likes Jackson and I don't like Jack...
#14 of 42 Old 02-05-2006, 02:04 AM - Thread Starter

Jackson is my sons name..I really like it!

I am glad we are not alone here. We already decided not to name the baby before we meet him, but at least with the other kids we had ideas. We really have nothing!!

~C~
#15 of 42 Old 02-05-2006, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caroline248
Jackson is my sons name..I really like it!
Well, I really like Jackson, but I KNOW people would call him Jack or Jackie and I don't like those nicknames. We'll just have to see.

I can't believe so many people are waiting until baby was born. I picked out my first son's name before we even knew it was a boy and from the second I saw him I knew it was the perfect name for him!
#16 of 42 Old 02-05-2006, 03:18 PM

We have no names yet. With DD we didn't really get down to deciding a name until the day after she was born, and then it took us a couple of days to decide if that was her.

We both think this is a boy and our cats do, too. When pregnant with DS Kitten laid with me all the time and Renny totally ignored me. With DD Renny was my constant companion and Kitten ignored me. THis third time Renny will watch me sleep and Kitten is my shadow. Normally, Kitten has nothing to do with me.

The kids (4 & 2) think this is a girl. We'll find out at birth.
#17 of 42 Old 02-05-2006, 11:36 PM

I have picked name, but WE have not picked a name.
#18 of 42 Old 02-05-2006, 11:40 PM

We're having too much fun looking at names to pick one out yet. I think we'll try to settle on a handfull before the birth and decide once we meet him.
#19 of 42 Old 02-06-2006, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeDeeLenae
Well, I really like Jackson, but I KNOW people would call him Jack or Jackie and I don't like those nicknames. We'll just have to see.
I feel the same way w/ our name. We are fairly decided on James, but only want to call him James, not Jim, Jimmy, Jamie, etc. I'm sure somewhere along the line SOMEONE will give him a nickname...but I've decided not to worry about it too much.

Still undecided on a middle name - my DH wants to use a family name (Steven) and I like that, but since he was concieved in Ireland & we are both Irish - I love the idea of using a traditional Irish name for the middle (like Riordan which means 'royal poet') we still have a few months to hash it out and we haven't "announced" that the baby will be James....we had been considering James, Benjamin & Andrew & that is still what we say when asked....truthfully, we still are considering....he's not out yet & could be more of a Ben than a James..who knows?

eta: most of the time we just refer to him as " the new guy"
#20 of 42 Old 02-06-2006, 01:13 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeDeeLenae

!
I thought the same thing. MOst people ask if he is called Jackson or Jack. The only person to call him Jackie is my four year old..she calls him her "Jackie-boy". That is ok because it is cute!

I would think when he is in school he may choose to go by Jack, but we only call him Jackson now and I haven't had problems with any one else YET! (Of course, he is only 17 months...)

~C~
#21 of 42 Old 02-06-2006, 02:27 PM

Well, we had a name, Judah. But... a year ago a close friend "stole" it claiming she didn't know we were going to use it (yeah right... everyone was shocked she used it knowing I had made it very known). So... I wanted to use it anyway. Our son's name is Zion. We thought Judah would be a great match. I'm stubborn enough to use it anyway. Besides, we probably won't be friends forever right? But... DH thinks it kind of threw a wet blanket on it. Now, DH wants to use our third boy name and just save Judah for later incase we had another boy. The third boy name we had picked is Jericho. Granted, I like the name, but I'm not *crazy* about it. So I don't know what to do now.
#22 of 42 Old 02-06-2006, 02:50 PM - Thread Starter

Oooh..I really like Jericho.

We talked about Elias last night. I like it. But I am still not convinced this baby is a boy...

~C~
#23 of 42 Old 02-06-2006, 04:21 PM

Thanks Caroline. I'm trying to convince myself to just go with it, but I keep getting stuck on "and the walls came tumbling down..." Ya know, the children's Bible song? Oh, and it means "noctournal". Hehe... just what I need, a noctournal newborn!
#24 of 42 Old 02-06-2006, 05:07 PM - Thread Starter

I thought of the song...but I didn't know about the meaning!! Hmmm..maybe it isn't so great then...

~C~
#25 of 42 Old 02-06-2006, 08:00 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
My still-growing ds is Logan *****. But when I first found out, I called him alien tadpole (cause they look like aliens and tadpoles). Well, it stuck. My parents had an ornament engraved with "tadpole" for X-mas. My mom is going to call him Tad, and I told her that it just might stick as a nickname.

Check out my business, Pangaia Metaphysical Store, and radio blog, Pagan Musings.
I'm a witchy mama to DS ('06) and DD ('10) with DH, Stormie, a heathen homemaker daddy.

#26 of 42 Old 02-06-2006, 08:09 PM

I like Judah - I would be afraid someone would nickname Jericho "Jerry" or something - besides pi$$ on the name stealer - it's not even like it's family...it's just a friend...I'd do it.

WOHM married to SAHD, living the dream w/our: 3 girls (14,12,10) and 3 boys (7,5,3) and tie-breaker due Jan 2014

#27 of 42 Old 02-06-2006, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caroline248
Oooh..I really like Jericho.

We talked about Elias last night. I like it. But I am still not convinced this baby is a boy...

~C~
Elias makes me think of Big Boy though - you know Elias Bros? What about Elijah...I figured if you liked Jericho...

WOHM married to SAHD, living the dream w/our: 3 girls (14,12,10) and 3 boys (7,5,3) and tie-breaker due Jan 2014

#28 of 42 Old 02-06-2006, 09:42 PM

how funny that many of you like the name, but not what nickname people will call him! im in the same exact boat!! we're naming him jefferson, but i hate the name jeff. have no idea why, i just don't like it. so since his middle name is going to be carter, we're going to call him J.C. after dh's grandfather. he was a joseph christopher, but no one called him that. only j.c....

i say name your son judah!! how rude that she stole your name! leigh anne's right, its not like its family! but i really like jericho too

ok, so a funny story about not having a name yet. my fil's name is ted. but it wasn't put on his birth certificate till he was in his 30's!!! can you believe his birth certificate said "baby smith" till he was 30'ish!!!!!!! talk about an oversight! they named him ted a couple weeks after he was born, but never changed the birth certificate... how funny is that! so not naming your baby till you meet them, or even for a couple weeks doesn't sound so bad after all huh?!
#29 of 42 Old 02-07-2006, 12:21 AM

I think it's great that many of you wait until you "meet" baby. All of my dds and this pg - we've named them during - but I always kind of worried - what if they don't "look like a..." ??? Especially my Carmen - that's such a unique name (even though dh's mom is from Spain - we live in the mecca of white middle class America) - I wondered if it would "fit" her - but of course I can't imagine her with any other name.

DH's name is still wrong on his birth certificate - but it's only his middle name which I guess his parents changed days after his birth for who knows what reason. His SS card and all other forms of identity have his middle name as it is now, but the birth certificate never got changed...

...and don't worry about my nickname or free association problems with names - just bringing them up in case you hadn't thought of them before

#30 of 42 Old 02-07-2006, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfcat
... But when I first found out, I called him alien tadpole (cause they look like aliens and tadpoles). ....
How funny! When I was pg w/DS, I called him "our alien tadpole" until he started to look like a baby...

We didn't actually name him until he was something like, 30 min old. Then the names just kinda popped in our/my (?) heads & we now have an Alexander Maximilian...Zander for short.

I'm SO clueless as to what to name Butter Bean...we're 99% sure that she's a girl...boys names are SO much easier!!! We'll prolly wait until she's born before naming her. In the meantime, we gotta start our names list!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page