Braxton Hicks -- anyone else? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 19 Old 03-01-2006, 08:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Anyone else starting to feel BH contractions? I had a little bit of a stressful night last night, and all of a sudden my stomach went rock hard and I had to stop and catch my breath. Whee! I don't remember feeling them this early with Qualia, but I guess I'm more "primed" this time around -- or maybe it's just that I know what I'm feeling now!

Funny how they feel NOTHING like the actual contractions I had during labor.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 19 Old 03-01-2006, 08:34 PM

Yes! I've been getting them for about a month now. this is my third. With my first i never felt BH, with #2 i did i think they started about this time.
#3 of 19 Old 03-01-2006, 08:34 PM

I never noticed them with my first. However, I do notice them once in a while with this babe. Not too often.
#4 of 19 Old 03-01-2006, 11:15 PM

I think so... since this is my first, I'm not sure. Felt like menstrual cramps, but all over (since my ute is much bigger!) and they'd last forup to 30 seconds but my ute wouldn't get hard like a post orgasm : contraction. I had had a really stressful day, and was in bed chatting with hubby. It all lasted for about 45 mins, then i fell asleep. So.. I think so but not sure.

Mamato Ruby Violet joy.gif(6 with autism) and someone 1sttri.gif who should make him/herself known sometime in the next month.

#5 of 19 Old 03-02-2006, 03:09 AM

You'll know it for sure when you have BH. They also get stronger as you go along. It can happen in a small area, like a hard little ball, or all over where your whole stomach will suddenly feel like cement.

I had them really strongly in my first pg, and I've been having them again in this one for about a month now. They were so strong at the end of my first pg, and I was having them so frequently that I got frustrated the last few weeks wondering how I was ever going to tell if it was the "real" thing and tell when I was really in labor. And then of course, when the first labor contraction hit it was like OHHHHHHH!!!!! That was NOTHING like a BH - no mistaking that!
#6 of 19 Old 03-02-2006, 10:10 AM

I've had some for the last month. A few have been just tightening, and a few have been more twingey, like menstrual cramps. A few of those wrapped around to the back as well, which I never got during a period. Pushing fluids has really helped prevent more.
#7 of 19 Old 03-02-2006, 12:42 PM

Oh yeah....been having them for a couple of weeks now....with my first DD I never really felt any BH, with my second it wasn't until much later on (like 34+ wks) so it kind of surprised me when I started feeling them around 22 wks this time! But it's only a few times a day - and they tend to be worse when I have a full bladder, which my mw said is typical.

Kerriintactlact.gif blessed single mama to Teresa 8/2/02blahblah.gif, Madeleine 5/28/04dust.gif, Andrew 6/25/06jammin.gif, and Isabelle ribboncesarean.gif11/27/08energy.gif

#8 of 19 Old 03-02-2006, 02:27 PM

Yep! I've been having them since about 18 or 19 weeks (I'm 24w). I was really suprised they showed up so early this time, since it was probably 26 weeks or so before they started with DS. They're really annoying this time because I don't have time for them while I'm chasing after a toddler! Typically I get a spell of them any time I'm stressed out or walking too fast.
#9 of 19 Old 03-02-2006, 02:35 PM

21 weeks along, both times. These seem a little stronger sometimes than before. My OB had a family practice resident working with her last time I went in. He was very sweet, but obviously not a native English speaker. When he asked if anything had changed, I said, "Sure, I'm getting BH now." He got very intense quizzing me about them, then apparently went out and told the OB I was having contractions, which led to her charging into the room all concerned I eventually got them straightened out!
#10 of 19 Old 03-02-2006, 02:52 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
yup - have been getting them for several weeks now - mw said it was normal as well. I dont remember having them this early either.....yup, hopefully for those of us who have already had one babe (or 2, 3, etc!) our bodies are primed and ready to go!

homeschooling, earth loving Mama to 3 crazy, wonderful boys, ages 10 & 7, & 3 mos.,3 spirit babies                                Inch by inch, row by row.  Gonna make this garden grow  
#11 of 19 Old 03-02-2006, 03:24 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I've been having them also but i read someplace online that BHs are only in 1 area of tighening. and Contractions are all over hardness on your stomache. so goign by that i'm not having BHs since when it happens my stomache is rock hard all over.

Kami(31)DH(35)Alex(11),(4/05) (7/05),Ryker(8)(11/10) 
Harlan (11/4/2011)http://www.desertreadingloft.com--Independent Usborne Books Consultant
#12 of 19 Old 03-02-2006, 05:58 PM

For a little while now ... mostly just if I'm overdoing it, walking too much, getting too stressed, etc ... I *think* I remember getting them about this time with my first ... but that's a long time ago

I've heard that drinking more water and, of course, resting more and putting your feet up more helps with them.

I've been told it's the 1-5-1 rule you have to worry about - if they last longer than 1 minute each, come 5 minutes (or less) apart, and last for longer than an hour ... becuase that is a sign of labor ... but I'm sure someone else has better knowledge about that then me (whose labor was "helped" along last time by pitocin )

Here's to keeping your feet up, cuz I'm always all for that

knit.gifKara~ Rockin' Granola wife to Christopher and mama to J (Nov. '01), M (June '06), L (May '08) and stork-girl.gif (edd 8/3/11)
2011:  a year to Make Do, Do Without, or Do It Ourselves 
#13 of 19 Old 03-02-2006, 09:24 PM

I think I may have felt some today but I'm not sure. It felt like 'period cramps'.
#14 of 19 Old 03-06-2006, 12:42 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnittingKara
I've been told it's the 1-5-1 rule you have to worry about - if they last longer than 1 minute each, come 5 minutes (or less) apart, and last for longer than an hour ... becuase that is a sign of labor ...
That's what I was reading today -- 4 or more BH in one hour, lasting more than a minute each, should put you on the couch, lying down, with a glass of water. Six of the same requires a call to the doctor.

I went and looked that up because I've been having a few long BH contractions within the same hour several times over the past few days -- always when I'm doing too much lifting or getting stressed about something. They don't hurt, but my whole stomach gets rock hard and I can't catch my breath. It looks like I'm inside the "safe" zone, but I think I'm getting a warning to lay off the uber nesting and be a little more lazy from here on out.
#15 of 19 Old 03-06-2006, 07:02 PM

I have just barely started getting a few. I get them more when I have a full bladder or if I get up and move quickly from a sitting position. They don't hurt -- I don't think BH are supposed to hurt -- it just feels like a tightening of my uterus. They're totally normal I think .. .just your body's way of preparing.

Mama to 3 kids. We live in a yurt!
#16 of 19 Old 03-08-2006, 09:52 PM

I've had mild ones for a month or so, but the other day I thought I was in labor it was so painful. My doc says to empty my bladder and take a drink of water and lay down for a bit. I didn't notice them with DD, but she says since this is my #2 I'm more in tune with them.
#17 of 19 Old 03-14-2006, 02:53 PM

while on vacation, I had several nights with BH that went on for what seemed like an hour or so (coming and going every 10 mins or so) not painful, just a hardening/tightening sensation.

Mamato Ruby Violet joy.gif(6 with autism) and someone 1sttri.gif who should make him/herself known sometime in the next month.

#18 of 19 Old 03-17-2006, 07:43 PM

Yep, I've been feeling BH cxn's for a couple weeks. I didn't feel any with my first pregnancy, so it's new to me. Not painful, thankfully.
#19 of 19 Old 03-18-2006, 11:00 PM

Hmmm ... I was just thinking about posting a question thread about "what does BH feel like" because yesterday and today for the first time I had this somewhat painful/mostly uncomfortable sensation ... I'm 27 weeks, so BH would not be unexpected at this stage, right?

Since this is my first I have no idea what BH will feel like or if this is it - I have not had any real cramping or contractions at all in my pg so far (not even post-orgasm) ...
But anyway, it wasn't all-over hardness like some people said. Last night it was down low accross the belly just above my pubes and felt really sore/achey for maybe 10 min or so? Then today while I was eating lunch - I felt it get really sore in a spot on the top right of my belly, about as big as my hand or so - when I felt it it was firm and tender, but not really rock-hard ... pretty unpleasant, but not *so* painful ... now it is gone.

Could these be BH? I guess I always pictured contractions as being more "rolling" or obviously muscular and less static feeling, but agin, what do I know?

Rachel

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page