Mothering Forum banner

belly cast?

1K views 16 replies 12 participants last post by  monkeymimi 
#1 ·
Any other mamas thinking about doing a belly cast?

I didn't do one with my first pregnancy and always wished I had done one ... I guess this will be something the second child will have that the first one didn't?

Those of you who have done them before, any tips? did you have it professionally done, buy a kit, or put a homemade kit together yourself? Would you do it again?

Thanks!

See less See more
#2 ·
I have considered doing a belly cast in the next couple of months (due 6/27, so maybe Memorial Day weekend?). I have a friend who is an artist, and he wants to do it for me, and then paint it, which would be wonderful. I was initially turned off to the idea before I even got pregnant, but now that I actually have a belly, I love it! I think it will be a neat thing to show our daughter as she gets older.

#3 ·
I had to
at this thread, because it was right below your "hands off!" one. It looked like you finally got so fed up with people touching your belly that you've decided to just coat yourself in plaster!

#4 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by TortelliniMama
I had to
at this thread, because it was right below your "hands off!" one. It looked like you finally got so fed up with people touching your belly that you've decided to just coat yourself in plaster!

I just realized the irony of that myself

#5 ·
I've thought about doing a belly cast with my last two pregnancies and this one too (never knew about them with first pregnancy). The thing that keeps me from doing it... where the heck do I put the thing afterwards??
I mean I'm such a packrat as it is, I don't really have any "freespace" in my house to put one (let alone three if I'd done them).

One recommendation I've always heard... use a lot more vaseline (or your prefered non-petrolium product) than you think you'd need. You do NOT want the thing to stick.
Especially down there...
:
:

Who knows maybe I'll decide to do one before baby#4 is born... I do know I plan to have someone do a henna belly painting this time.
I just think that would look so cool.

#6 ·
One lady I know wrapperd herself in saranwrap, which I could see as a good think maybe use the wrap to sculpt your boobs so you dont have to wear a bra (for those if us whos boobs are getting so big and heavy they arnt perky anymore), I am defentlly doing a belly cast, saw one done years ago on A Baby Story (un-med, mw attended, h2o birth...the one in hundreds on that damn show). They had a pro do it and paint it, beautiful!!! and they hung it in what would be the babys room. If you choose to hang yours on the wall reinforce it or put a couple of more layers of plaster on it building up the sides cause they get weak. Ideas for decorating...decopadge birth photos (b&w looks great), decopadge mag cutouts or similar with phrases of love to baby, paint a mantra on it, paint it something crazy like marbling or a landscape, decorate it with beautiful fabric and silk flowers or dried flowers, put babys feet and hand prints on it and or the families, go to Micheals or anyother craft store and look for their wall stickers some of those are really nice and would look great on a belly cast. Or you could just cast your belly, make a plaster mold out of it and them make it into a bowl, put baby into it after birtha nd take adorable pics, line the inside with velvet or satin or that decadant new baby fabric thats is sooo soft and yummy.

So Many ideas...so many things you can do, heck I am hanging mine in the living room for all to see when they come over.

#8 ·
I've done one w/ each pg and do them professionally for clients. I have a collection of them I've had in various art shows and galleries. Some have hands, some don't. Some have boobs, some don't. One even had a full neck and arms...talk about a LOT of plaster! I feel so bad that I've done them for other mamas and my poor ds3's cast is still hanging naked (no pun!) on our family room wall...not that he cares much, lol. I'll probably do one around 35wks or so (the best time to do one, IMO)...I am thinking I'll do 2, one for me to finish w/ my art and one for the boys to paint, too. I really want to incorporate the boys' hands in my next one, we'll see how that goes. They're so much fun and such a great keepsake!!

#9 ·
I had one done with DS, my Doula did it. It was nice but now I am not sure what to do with it. I mean, I won't hang it in my sons bedroom and our bath is also out of the question. So, it sits wrapped in the basement, awaiting ideas (I mean, it is rather personal, a naked belly and breasts, I don't need that exposed to friends or DH boss). It is nice to take a picture of your little one inside that cast (made comfy with blankets, of course), but that's about it.

So, no, not with this one, I can reccycle the old cast for the picture...

#10 ·
Even if it doesn't get hung up (I plan on hanging it in the master bathroom or bedroom) I think doing the collage will be a really great experince. I love doing collage, and it's very healing for me. Esp coming from a history of infertility, I think it will be a great exercise for hubs and I.

#11 ·
I have a belly cast from my first (done about a week before he was born) and I love it. My body changed SO MUCH from it's non pregnant state it is really an amazing thing to have and I love remembering just where all his lumps and bumps were. I still don t really know what to do with it though, it was packed away untill I wanted it out to have around when I was pregnant with his little sister. I have a few pics of my belly with her (and some streach marks as well) but I kind of regret not doing a cast also, even though I don t know what I would have done with TWO of them. My doula did mine and she did a beautifull job. She used a whole jar of Vaseline and plenty of plaster so it s pretty sturdy.

#12 ·
I have a belly cast from my first (done about a week before he was born) and I love it. My body changed SO MUCH from it's non pregnant state it is really an amazing thing to have and I love remembering just where all his lumps and bumps were. I still don t really know what to do with it though, it was packed away untill I wanted it out to have around when I was pregnant with his little sister. I have a few pics of my belly with her (and some streach marks as well) but I kind of regret not doing a cast also, even though I don t know what I would have done with TWO of them. My doula did mine and she did a beautifull job. She used a whole jar of Vaseline and plenty of plaster so it s pretty sturdy.

#13 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by mum2tori
Who knows maybe I'll decide to do one before baby#4 is born... I do know I plan to have someone do a henna belly painting this time.
I just think that would look so cool.

I've done henna and IME it doesn't get too dark or last too long on a belly (much better and meant for hands and feet) ... not trying to sway you away from it, just so you know... it's really fun to do! I love doing henna

#14 ·
I'm planning on doing mine this weekend. I just bought some rolls of plaster coated gauze from Michael's. I think 4 rolls is enough.

I will be 36 weeks in a few days. I planned to make one with my daughter but she was born on the day I was supposed to have my 36 week prenatal appointment. So, I don't want to wait any longer!

#15 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by birthdancedoula
I've done one w/ each pg and do them professionally for clients. I have a collection of them I've had in various art shows and galleries. Some have hands, some don't. Some have boobs, some don't. One even had a full neck and arms...talk about a LOT of plaster! I feel so bad that I've done them for other mamas and my poor ds3's cast is still hanging naked (no pun!) on our family room wall...not that he cares much, lol. I'll probably do one around 35wks or so (the best time to do one, IMO)...I am thinking I'll do 2, one for me to finish w/ my art and one for the boys to paint, too. I really want to incorporate the boys' hands in my next one, we'll see how that goes. They're so much fun and such a great keepsake!!
COOL!
So, any tips? Do you buy kits when you do yours? Any recommended suppliers? (especially for a 1st timer?) Thanks!

35 weeks? Good to know! I was thinking around May or so ... mainly because I imagine I'll be feeling pretty hot and yucky (and, okay, whiny) by June

I haven't decided on painting or what yet ... I'm just excited about the idea. And I LOVE the idea of taking the baby's photo in it after

#16 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by KnittingKara
COOL!
So, any tips? Do you buy kits when you do yours? Any recommended suppliers? (especially for a 1st timer?) Thanks!
I get my plaster gauze in bulk from a wholesaler but the craft store Michael's sells it by the roll. IMO kits are waaay overpriced. A jar vaseline and a couple of rolls of plaster gauze is all you really need.

The secret is wetting the gauze enough to dissolve the plaster its impregnated with. Use warm water and get it good and soaked so the plaster will spread smoothly. Your finished cast will be much nicer if you do this. Also, remember to goop up w/ oil or vaseline really well before you apply the plaster. Caran wrap also works well as a base layer to avoid pulling sensitive, stretched belly skin. Add enough layers to make a sturdy cast and don't try to take it off until its good and dry...it'll go through a warm stage as its drying on you. If you take it off too soon it will warp and not be a true shape. I always reinforce mine from the inside w/ additional plaster after its dried for a few days.

HTH. Most importantly...have fun!!

#17 ·
I just did a belly cast a month ago - I love it and I am so glad I did. We did use a kit - agree they are totally overpriced. next one in our group we will just buy the plaster and some vaseline. However, as a first timer the kit was the best bet, because of lack of experience.

After it dried I painted it gold, then took it to my blessingway shower and all my friends cut out pictures of flowers, trees, fruits and laughing people, and we decoupaged over the gold paint.

It is a treasure to me now. No regrets! And sharing the experience of both the casting and the decorating helped bond my sister community-

I am a massage therapist and it will hang in my office when I go back to work.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.