3 hour Glucose Test.............. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 17 Old 03-15-2006, 08:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

ugg i failed the 1 hour test . so i had to go do the 3 hour and im praying i didnt fail that. i was shocked i failed the 1 hour since i passed it with my daugher.

just curious what happens if you fail the 3 hour test ?

Kami(31)DH(35)Alex(11),(4/05) (7/05),Ryker(8)(11/10) 
Harlan (11/4/2011)http://www.desertreadingloft.com--Independent Usborne Books Consultant
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 17 Old 03-15-2006, 09:41 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I guess it depends on your doc/mw but from several friends of mine who had GD - if you fail the 3 hr test then depending on how bad your GD seems, they give you a diet plan to follow and they may or may not have you use a glucometer to test your blood sugar periodically at home & bring you in for more checkups. I hope you passed though!! I had the 1 hr test today so am still waiting for the results - I barely passed with my first two & I'm always nervous because regular diabetes runs in my family really strongly. Good luck!

Kerriintactlact.gif blessed single mama to Teresa 8/2/02blahblah.gif, Madeleine 5/28/04dust.gif, Andrew 6/25/06jammin.gif, and Isabelle ribboncesarean.gif11/27/08energy.gif

#3 of 17 Old 03-15-2006, 10:32 PM

I failed my first time too. But I passed the three hour one. My obgyn told me that there are sometimes false positives on the one hour test and that stress can impact your numbers for that one. Apparently the three hour test is more accurate. So, try not to stress out. It may turn out negative after all. Good luck!
#4 of 17 Old 03-15-2006, 11:45 PM - Thread Starter

thanks for the repllies

i had to wait forever for the 1hour this time cause i forgot to fast *opps* so they gave me the drink to take home and told me to take it at 12pm and come back at 1pm for the blood so roughly i ended up fasting for around 5hours before taking the drink and my # was 132 they said slightly high .

we dont have a family history of diabetes and i passed the 1hour fine with my daughter.

thanks again for the replies i'll prob get a call tomorrow if i failed

Harlan (11/4/2011)http://www.desertreadingloft.com--Independent Usborne Books Consultant
#5 of 17 Old 03-15-2006, 11:55 PM

Hopefully you'll be fine - 132 is not even considered failing by most docs. My old OB and my current MW both use 140 as the cutoff - mine has been up to138 before and they said that was fine, didn't even make me take the 3 hr. So don't worry, I bet the 3 hr one came out fine

Kerriintactlact.gif blessed single mama to Teresa 8/2/02blahblah.gif, Madeleine 5/28/04dust.gif, Andrew 6/25/06jammin.gif, and Isabelle ribboncesarean.gif11/27/08energy.gif

#6 of 17 Old 03-16-2006, 12:19 AM

My test was going to be the last week in Feb, that was one thing I was very glad to skip!

"The true joy of life is the trip. The station is only a dream. It constantly out distances us."
#7 of 17 Old 03-16-2006, 12:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BundleFishMama
Hopefully you'll be fine - 132 is not even considered failing by most docs. My old OB and my current MW both use 140 as the cutoff - mine has been up to138 before and they said that was fine, didn't even make me take the 3 hr. So don't worry, I bet the 3 hr one came out fine
Yup - me too when I was with my ob. 140 was the cut-off, and with ds#1 I failed the 1 hour because they didn't tell me to fast. I missed it by 3 points. Had to deal with the 3 hour, but I fasted that time and came out perfectly fine. Fortunately my mw doesn't make you take any test if you don't want to (and doesn't hold it against you ), so I didn't even have to deal with it this time around.

Good luck - I'm sure it'll be fine, especially with such a low number to begin with on the 1 hour.

Me + dh = heartbeat.gif ds (7/01), ds (11/03), ds (6/06)
and dd born 11/21/10 - our T21 SuperBaby ribbluyel.gif heartbeat.gif
#8 of 17 Old 03-16-2006, 12:58 AM

I was told I didn't have to fast. With my daughter I didn't fast and I had to do the 3 hr test after failing the 1 hr test. This time the tech told me to fast when I came in (even though everyone else said it was not nessesary). I hope I pass and don't have to go back for a 3hr test again this time around.

I hope you pass just fine. Good luck to you!
#9 of 17 Old 03-16-2006, 03:26 PM

With my DD#1 I failed first test. I asked the nurse if there was a chance it was a false positive and she acted like she had no idea what I was talking about. I passed the 3 hour. This time I refused both. I probably would have taken the one hour, but as it is so unreliable, I knew I would not do the 3 hour again--so did neither. I think I read something about the 1 hour having a 75% chance of false positive. I'll try to actually get the statistic, but I remember being shocked.
#10 of 17 Old 03-16-2006, 03:29 PM

"If this one-hour screening test turns out to show high blood sugar, the doctor may recommend a more accurate three-hour test. Only around 15 percent of women with abnormal one-hour GTT will have an abnormal three-hour GTT test. " From askdrsears.com

So I guess that actually means 85% of the positive results are false. Does that compute to the rest of you?
#11 of 17 Old 03-16-2006, 06:16 PM

I flunked the first time because I ate an atomic fireball right at the end of the hour. When they called to tell me, I just said, "I want to repeat the 1hr test" and nobody said anything.
I went in for the test this time and managed to confuse the entire office. Somebody got the idea that I was supposed to have fasted for 12 hours (kiss my butt if I'm going twelve hours without eating, thank you) and they almost cancelled me. Fortunately they got themselves straight in the end.
#12 of 17 Old 03-16-2006, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by semomama
So I guess that actually means 85% of the positive results are false. Does that compute to the rest of you?
Well, it's not a false reading as in a wrong number. The three-hour test gives you glucose numbers at 0, 1, 2, and 3 hours. What usually happens is that at Hour One, your sugar will be high, but it will come back to within normal range in Hours Two and/or Three.

What's happening is when you consume sugar, your body produces insulin to metabolize it. During pregnancy, this reaction is dramatically slowed, which is what leads to GD. In the case we're discussing, your body is showing signs of slowing response, but since it does get back down to normal within three hours, it's not officially GD.

At least, that's what I understand from studying my own insulin resistance. Please confirm with your own medical providers.

KC
#13 of 17 Old 03-16-2006, 06:55 PM

12 hours??? When I took this the first time I didn't fast for more than 2-3 hours if I remember right

"The true joy of life is the trip. The station is only a dream. It constantly out distances us."
#14 of 17 Old 03-16-2006, 07:15 PM

132 sounds okay to me, according to Kaiser Permanente they only make you take the 3h test with over 140 (I had 190). However, only 15% of women with failed 1h tests fail the 3h test. If you want the numbers for the 3h test with Kaiser email me!
#15 of 17 Old 03-16-2006, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amys1st
12 hours??? When I took this the first time I didn't fast for more than 2-3 hours if I remember right
I don't know what hat they pulled that number out of. I was just glad to go in back, drink my goo (which was lemon-lime, and much nicer than the orange), wait my hour, then go home by way of the used-kid-stuff store, where I got DS a Sit-n-Spin for eight bucks. He was completely clueless about how to get it to spin.
#16 of 17 Old 03-17-2006, 01:52 AM

I'm taking the 1hr GTT on Tuesday. Normally my mw would allow me to opt out, but DS was over 10lbs and even though I passed that time, she wants to see me pass again so if something should come up with her back-up doc and another large baby she could show that I passed rather than opted out kwim?

Anyhow, I've been told to fast 12 hours. My appointment is at 9:30 am for this reason. So... just nothing to eat after 9:30 at night. That's not too unreasonable for me. Oh, and I've got to drink some sort of lemonade that I'll make at home per her recipe before I leave and drink it 30 minutes from her office (it's a two hour drive).
#17 of 17 Old 03-17-2006, 01:14 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christine&men
according to Kaiser Permanente they only make you take the 3h test with over 140 (I had 190).

Thats not true i have Kaiser and my 1 hour # was 132 and they made me do the 3 hour

i'm gonna say its safe to assumed i passed since no one ever called me yesterday. when i failed the 1 hour i got a call the next day.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page