I feel a head! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 17 Old 03-16-2006, 06:20 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
...or maybe a butt. Hard to tell at this point. Obviously I've been able to feel kicks, but this is the first time I've been able to feel a body part rolling by. Each time it's been just above my right hipbone, so he must like it over there. I just want this one to cooperatively plant his head into my pelvis within the next month!
#2 of 17 Old 03-16-2006, 11:14 PM
Banned

I feel a head or butt too. I'm thinking it's a head since I'm being beat to death up near my ribs... I hope his head stays down that way too! I have a huge fear of having a breech baby... I don't want a C-Section!!! But yeah his head it right down near my hip.
#3 of 17 Old 03-17-2006, 12:10 AM

My little guy still spins round and round and round... I feel bum or head all over the place! I'm scared he's going to get twisted up in his cord, and then I'll have to have a c/s. It was really neat though, the other night dh and I got to feel an elbow or something, maybe a knee? It was really popping out... I only got to feel for a second though, he wouldn't give me a turn and then the baby moved

Holly, eternally in love partners.gif with Kolby, Raising Juelie Anise (10y), Behnjamin Shen (6y), and Coen Syaoran (4y). Expecting June 2013 2ndtri.gif

#4 of 17 Old 03-17-2006, 12:57 AM

Mine has her head up on my left side, right below my ribs. Her butt and legs get down near my cervix -- I always feel kicks down low, never up high.

My last was a footling breech, so I'm wondering if she will be too....

Mama to 3 kids. We live in a yurt!
#5 of 17 Old 03-17-2006, 01:39 AM

My little guy is flipping around like a total maniac. One minute he's kicking me in the ribs then... he'll flip completely over and be knocking me in the cervix (gosh I *hate* that!). I know he's gone transverse a couple times too. DS1 was head down until 37 weeks, when he turned to breech, and then turned back two days before the scheduled c-section at 39 weeks. He was 10 1/2 pounds when he was born, so I'm just in shock that he was able to do that. I'm trying hard not to freak out about it, but it's really hard, especially since I'm planning a vbac.
#6 of 17 Old 03-17-2006, 08:45 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
yup - I have been feeling a head/ but for some time now. I asked my mw if she could show me how to tell the difference, and she said that generally, they gently shake the "part" they feel and if the whole body moves, that means it is the butt, if not, the head. Also hiccups, those quick 5 or 6 or so rapid jolts.

Isn't it WAY too early to worry about breech babies? Not that the concern isnt valid because that troubles me, too, but dont alot of babies change positions up until the last minute??? And, there are things you can do to try and turn a breech - I am trying to not worry about that yet

homeschooling, earth loving Mama to 3 crazy, wonderful boys, ages 10 & 7, & 3 mos.,3 spirit babies                                Inch by inch, row by row.  Gonna make this garden grow  
#7 of 17 Old 03-17-2006, 10:33 AM

Yep, I feel a head or a butt! But she still flips around as much as she pleases. I tried to describe it to my husband, and I came up with "You know how Homer Simpson falls on the ground on his side and then starts running so he spins in a circle?" Yeah, it's about like that. I'm doing the optimal fetal positioning stuff (mainly just trying to be mindful of how I sit while working and driving, at this stage), but I wouldn't worry about breech yet.
#8 of 17 Old 03-17-2006, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommitola
I'm doing the optimal fetal positioning stuff (mainly just trying to be mindful of how I sit while working and driving, at this stage)
I've never heard of optimal fetal positioning? What's what? I mean, obviously it's getting the baby in the best position, but how do you do it? What positions are best/should be avoided?

Yesterday, our baby punched the doppler while the midwife was trying to listen to her heart. First she rolled belly up to avoid it, then when the midwife moved the doppler to listen, baby punched and solidly connected with it. The midwife almost lost her grip!

I had a dream that I felt a distinct foot...little toes. Unfortunately, I haven't felt any definitive body parts yet, but we know from the u.s. that she's got her head near my left hip and her feet near my right hip, and her butt is sticking straight out just to the right of my belly button. She's been riding really low in my pelvis since the beginning, so I'm experiencing that pelvic pain that some of you were talking about. It's horrible!

Sarah - Mama to Vic (1/19/00), Syd (4/06/02) Sam (4/20/06-born at 30wk2d), JackJack (2/14/07) and Charlie (4/30/10)
#9 of 17 Old 03-17-2006, 01:10 PM - Thread Starter

I'd forgotten about the hiccups! My first got them all the time. Maybe this one just hasn't reached that point yet - I just started getting those lovely nighttime charley horses, and that I definitely remember from last time. Ouch.
I would rather have him do just about anything than that weird cervix poke thing. It feels...very strange.
#10 of 17 Old 03-21-2006, 06:38 AM

In response to the optimal fetal positioning question, here are some things you can do (and all of us should be doing!!!!)...

Stay off of furniture. Tailor sit (on a pillow) or squat when you can. Sit on a birth ball often and rotate around, side to side, front to back, etc.

Pelvic tilts. 25 in the morning, before each meal, before and after exercise, and 40 at bedtime. Lay down to sleep immediately afterward, make sure you pee first!

Side lye at night.

Do your kegels, 100-200 per day.

Get regular Chiropractic care.

At night, envision the baby in the optimal position.

Proper nurtition, lots of water (your body weight divided by 2, in ounces) and 100+ grams of protein every day.

Did I forget anything? I'm almost sure I'm forgetting 1 or 2...

Having the baby in the best position possible can shorten labor, lessen labor pain, and reduce the need for intervention, including cesarean section... not to mention birth trauma to the baby.

Holly, eternally in love partners.gif with Kolby, Raising Juelie Anise (10y), Behnjamin Shen (6y), and Coen Syaoran (4y). Expecting June 2013 2ndtri.gif

#11 of 17 Old 03-22-2006, 03:07 PM

I've been worried about position with this one! It has seemed that 90% of the baby's movement has been really low. Like, on my cervix, deep in the pelvis. And they feel like kicks. So, I'm like..."Flip over, baby....wrong way!"

I get Chiropractic care, though , and I'm trying all the stuff mentioned...I'm sure it'll be fine. I've got time, too.
#12 of 17 Old 03-22-2006, 05:39 PM

My last pg, dd was head down from before 30 weeks and stayed there the whole time, but I felt a TON of movement on my cervix. It felt like she was trying to claw her way out, I mean seriously painful. This baby plays on my cervix a lot too. With dd I know it was her hands because she was head down and she was actually born with her hand above her head. So anyway, they can be head down and you can still feel movement down there

#13 of 17 Old 03-22-2006, 06:00 PM

I apparently have an "odd" shaped uterus i.e. its tipped and slightly heart-shaped. Anyways, it seems that there is a little bit more room over the the right side because for all four pregnancies... I've had a distinct LUMP on the right side of my lower belly. Similiar to the shape of a head ... and of course that coinsides perfectly with the FEET that like to kick and push out on my left ribs. There also seems to be enough room in there for them to continue to do the "Watoosie" right up until labor.

DS#1 slightly freaked me out when 3 days before his due date (he was born the day after EDD) he decided to turn sunny side up on me. I was like "no way, we are not going to deal with back labor buddy, you're flipping face down!". He promptly rolled back face down the next night. He was also my LOW-rider. I carried him LOW the entire pregnancy, like ON my certix the whole time. And of course he loved to use my bladder as his personal punching bag, trampoline and dance floor. He thought of twitching and I had to sprint : to the bathroom.

DS#2 decided to flip breech at 39+ weeks after being firmly head down for forever. He flipped back a few days later... guess it wasn't as comfortable as he thought.
#14 of 17 Old 03-27-2006, 05:36 PM

I found an interesting website called http://www.spinningbabies.com/ . It had some really interesting information, particularly about positioning a baby when you are close to labor, etc. I also was just reading something about how semi-reclining too often can encourage baby to take a breech position. It encouraged what the pp said--tailor sit, birth ball, etc.
#15 of 17 Old 03-28-2006, 10:40 AM

Spinning Babies is great and it also has a section on there called belly mapping. Not that any of us should be obsessing about baby's position at this point, but it is fun to try to figure out which parts are which and belly mapping does just that. You pay attention to where you feel big movements, smaller movements, where hearttones are found, where you feel a big lump, etc. and she has you draw it out on a pie and you can figure out how baby is laying in there. It's fun!

Nichole, mama to 6 blue-eyed babies, LCCE, doula, apprentice mw
#16 of 17 Old 03-28-2006, 08:14 PM

Found a site by 'Birth Angels', an LA Doula group. It actually shows photos of optimal fetal positing, like sitting on a birth ball, sitting on your heels, sugest scrubbing your floors on your hands and knees etc. I use the hands and knees position to play with my puppies, who are actually almost bigger than me when I am on all fours so they love it. The all fours is great but can be taxing on your sholders and knees if your not use to it I say you need to start now cause its great for labor too. also once your baby is in the right position teach your self to squat, you can start now but avoid deep squats, only squat half way down, until you know that the baby is in a good position. anyhow thats what I got. MW says that baby has been posterior every time she has checked so I am on orders to pratice my OFP. Okay I am off to make more cute dipe covers.
#17 of 17 Old 03-28-2006, 11:44 PM

Samantha -- I also have a heart-shaped uterus. It was actually diagnosed as a slight bicornuate uterus -- the septum in the middle that causes the heart shape is what makes it bicornuate. Anyway, bicornuate uterus often causes breech presentation. DS flipped several times between 36 and 40 weeks, head down, head up, head down, etc. at 39 weeks he was head down, at 40 weeks and when I went into labor he was footling breech! I had exactly the same experience as you with having the lump on one side often, because I think my uterus is bigger over there! I've noticed this baby in a lump on my left side.

The spinningbabies belly mapping sounds cool, becuase now I can't totally tell how she's lying in there. I'm suspicious that she's transverse. I never feel any kicks or pokes up high -- they're always down low near my cervix. That makes me a little nervous!

Mama to 3 kids. We live in a yurt!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page