Interesting this just came up. I'm just about 29 weeks & spent 4 hours in triage on early saturday morning & over 24 hours in the hospital on monday morning until today. Friday night around Midnight I noticed red spotting. Called my Dr, she asked if I was cramping & feeling the baby move. Hadn't noticed either, but I was at a birth (I'm a doula) so I wasn't paying much attention. Said things are probably fine, but that it was up to me to go in if baby wasn't moving. I layed down & felt baby moving. Clients said for me to go take care of myself though, so I left. I decided to go the other hospital just to make me feel better & because my belly seemed really hard & went to triage to be checked out. Not only was I spotting, but I was also having contractions. Did all kinds of tests & a speculum exam & after about 4 hours things seemed to be fine. Tests came back negative & IV fluids slowed down the contractions. Assumed I was dehydrated & had over done it.Took it very easy on saturday & sunday.
Woke up about 3:30 am Monday morning for a bathroom break & noticed more red bleeding & small clots. Things had diminshed over the last two days. Called triage & they said to come in. No contractions really, but there was bleeding & they hard a time again seeing my cervix because blood was pooling & everytime they swabbed it away, more would come out. Felt that bleeding was coming from my uterus vs my cervix. More of the same tests. FP Dr on call who isn't my normal Dr didn't feel comfortable handling this, so refered me to an OB. Turned out to be the good OB too. (His wife is a homebirth MW) Decided to admit me for observation, though all my tests kept coming out negative & the baby was its normal active self. I think that me having a prior c-section was factor.
Everything kept being fine, the bleeding stopped & the ultrasound showed everything to be fine with baby, my uterus & baby's growth. In the end, they think that it could either be a small abruption that will heal itself or maybe my c-section scar. I'm not on bedrest, but I can't lift anything, exercise or have sex. I'm to use common sense & give myself TLC. If anymore bleeding appears, I feel less fetal movement or contractions, I need to go in again. They'll monitor me more closely as well. I may also need to switch my care to an OB as well. The OB did seem to think VBAC was still an option too.
From what I understand through all of this is that brown blood & clots are old blood. Red is more current & something to have checked out. Abruption is nothing to take likely, even my doula who is a homebirth CNM says this.
Go with your gut. Don't be afraid to have a second opinion.