Help I want to Sleep!! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-18-2006, 04:05 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Sleeping has become a chore lately. I am so tired and I only fall asleep when exausted, I cannot lay on my back or my left side because of that crazy vena cava that gets all smoshed and cuts off blood flow. i was so hoping I would be one of the lucky moms that didnt get that problem, along with heartburn but ohwell small price to pay i guess. I lay on my right side, even had to switch sides of the bed with dh, and after about 5 min my hip and sholder start to ache, so I switch for a bit to my left until I cant take it and then back to the right, the whol time trying to keep a pillow between my knees, the blanket from wrapping around me and not waking dh. My sinuses are all jacked up, I constentlly have to blow my nose to clear it (and use breathe right strips), my eyes dry out and I am putting down about 16 oz of water throughout the night so I get up to pee at least twice a night. ACK!!!!!! can i get some good sleep??? I have 3 pillows, thats about all that will fit on our bed, and its come to where I wish we has a second bed in the house because I just cant get comfortable with dh in the same bed, hes a bed hog. Any helpful advice? oh I already hear the 'Hang in there dear it will all be over soon.' yeah then I share my bed with my dh two dogs and a baby? the couch looks so comfy right now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-18-2006, 05:33 AM

I say go for the couch. I spent pretty much the last two months with ds#1 on the couch because it was where I could get the most comfortable - I slept in a semi-upright position, which helped the discomfort from always being on one side (for me it was the left side because I couldn't handle the acid reflux/heartburn when on my right), and also helped tone-down the acid reflux/heartburn because I was more upright. I don't remember what I did with ds#2, but this time around, I have resorted to the couch a few times already for at least the first part of the night; once I can get to sleep, I can then move back into my bed when I wake to go to the bathroom (or when ds#2 wakes and makes his way towards our bedroom), and fall asleep pretty easily.

Good luck ...

Me + dh = heartbeat.gif ds (7/01), ds (11/03), ds (6/06)
and dd born 11/21/10 - our T21 SuperBaby ribbluyel.gif heartbeat.gif
Old 04-18-2006, 05:36 AM

I say go for the couch then! Seriously, whatever you need to do at this point. Or you could kick out the dogs. My dog only gets to sleep next to me when my husband works early (3 am!) then again she's a 75 lb creature who insists on sleeping with her legs stretched all the way out so she's not the best bed partner to start with. Anyhow, I've been dealing with a lot of this too...

I have four pillows right now, two to get my head at the right height, one to rest my shoulder on--this actually helps a lot with neck and back pain, I've found, one very small one to put under my belly, and one to put between my legs. It works better if I turn it lengthwise, so my ankles are also elevated. Turning over is a pain, but I only have to do it a couple times a night so it's much better than it was before I figured out the pillow formula.

Oh, it really helps to flip your mattress regularly. We flip and/or rotate ours every time I change the sheets, so every 7-10 days. That makes sure that you get better support and you aren't always sleeping in a worn down "trough" section of the bed.

You might try hydrating really well about 4 hours before bed. Then decrease how much water you drink until morning. If you wake up with dry mouth, take just a sip instead of drinking a considerable amount. That will cut down on the midnight pee fests. Also, being well hydrated should help with the sinuses. For the sinus problem, also, you can try taking a hot shower or breathing through a hot, wet washcloth for about 20 minutes before bedtime. It can help break things up and make it easier to breathe in the night.

For heartburn, if you're taking a calcium/magnesium supplement, take it right before bed. I have a liquid one from my midwives and it works like magic. If you're not taking one, you might see about getting on one. It can work wonders for everything from heartburn and constipation to charley horses.

Hope this helps!
Old 04-18-2006, 08:39 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I am having sleep issues as well! Not only the physical discomfort but I wake up at times feeling like I have a million things to do! And I need to pee about 3-4 times per night! You are so not alone!

Also try some chamomile tea before bed, it helps, if you like tea! I second the cal/ mag before bed, works wonders. Do you walk/ I have been trying to take a nice walk in the evening with my dh and ds and I think that really helps make for a more restful sleep as well

Oh, and sleep is SO much easier after the baby comes - you will love it! It is really great sharing sleep with a baby! (and toddler )

homeschooling, earth loving Mama to 3 crazy, wonderful boys, ages 10 & 7, & 3 mos.,3 spirit babies                                Inch by inch, row by row.  Gonna make this garden grow  
Old 04-18-2006, 01:17 PM

I've got total insomnia right now too. Insomnia to the point of crying hysterically because I want to sleep so bad, my body is screaming for sleep, but I just can't seem to get it. DH started snoring two years ago while I was pg with DS1. It hasnt' stopped since and I am so sleep deprived because of it to begin with that now it's taking me until around 4am just to get to the point where my body finally gives up. I don't know how much more of this I can take.
Old 04-18-2006, 02:14 PM

Are you getting symptoms from lying on one side vs. the other? My midwife says it's fine to lie on either side, and not a big deal to lie on the back either, unless you start getting dizzy. Also, isn't it the LEFT side that's better for increasing blood flow, etc, not the right?? I say lie on whatever side you need to to sleep--it's impossible to stay on only one side the whole night!
Have you thought about trying Skullcap for sleep? It's really been a lifesaver for me, and it's been used for a long time safely during pregnancy. Just something to consider.
Hope you get some good sleep and feel better soon!

crochetsmilie.gif mama to DD 8/06, DS 9/09

Set the gearshift for the high gear of your soul jammin.gif
Old 04-18-2006, 02:32 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
When preggo with DS, I slept in a big comfy chair with my feet up on an ottoman for the last 2 months....so I'm right there with you. If the couch is more comfy for you, then by all means sleep on the couch! Oh, and it is the left side that's supposed to be "better" for you to lay on, cause the superior vena cava is on your right side.

This time it seems to not be as bad for me so far, but my left SI joint area gets achy if I lay on my left side too much...so when I have to shift, I just prop a thin pillow under my right hip to give me a little leftward tilt if I'm laying on my back, "just in case" , and it seems to work pretty well. I just have the one body pillow that I wrap between my legs like a U (sometimes I use that if I'm on my back, for the left tilt). Also, you can roll over to almost be on your stomach, and make a little nest of pillows for your belly, and then prop a couple thicker ones under your one knee, and that's supposed to be OK, too. Think of creating a "hammock" for your belly, and then supporting that one leg so your weight isn't on your belly but on the knee pillow. www.spinningbabies.com has a good description of how to lay like that with a drawing, I'm sure i'm not explaining it very well.

I am a total stomach sleeper and cannot WAIT until I can start doing that again.

Hope you get some better rest!!!

Heather, WAHM to DS (01/04)DD (06/06). Wed to DH(09/97)
Old 04-18-2006, 03:43 PM

I second the move to the couch - mama's comfort is VERY important and my golly, so is sleep (goodness knows it will be in short supply soon enough) ... and I know it is just the pits to be so uncomfortable

Hope you can find a comfy way to get some zzzzzz's soon!

(me? i'm thinking of starting to sleep in the bathroom - seems like all I do all night long is make trips to the potty!)

Best Wishes!

knit.gifKara~ Rockin' Granola wife to Christopher and mama to J (Nov. '01), M (June '06), L (May '08) and stork-girl.gif (edd 8/3/11)
2011:  a year to Make Do, Do Without, or Do It Ourselves 
Old 04-18-2006, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhagen
I've got total insomnia right now too. Insomnia to the point of crying hysterically because I want to sleep so bad, my body is screaming for sleep, but I just can't seem to get it. DH started snoring two years ago while I was pg with DS1. It hasnt' stopped since and I am so sleep deprived because of it to begin with that now it's taking me until around 4am just to get to the point where my body finally gives up. I don't know how much more of this I can take.

knit.gifKara~ Rockin' Granola wife to Christopher and mama to J (Nov. '01), M (June '06), L (May '08) and stork-girl.gif (edd 8/3/11)
2011:  a year to Make Do, Do Without, or Do It Ourselves 
Old 04-18-2006, 05:20 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
I build up the pillows in my little corner so that I'm mostly upright. Then I have a large (well-beaten) floor pillow under my right arm and hip and another pillow under my left hip. When I get the angle right... ohhhh, baby!

Although, for some reason, I can now put a pillow under my knee and the floor pillow under an arm and I can sleep mostly on my stomach like that... I think he shifted recently.

BTW, all this gets me is a longer snooze before the insomnia kicks in. I'm just not sleeping well. I think it's stress though.

Check out my radio blog, Pagan Musings.
I'm a head-covering witchy mama to DS ('06) and DD ('10) with DH, Stormie, a Heathen breadwinning daddy.
Old 04-18-2006, 05:46 PM

I feel exactly the same way. Only we don't have a couch so I have nowhere to escape to, even if I wanted to! Dh turns into all knees and elbows at night and sprawls out all over the bed. When he leans on me I want to scream, I'm already unbearably uncomfortable. I keep looking forward to birth... then I remember sleeping (or NOT sleeping) with a baby. I'm one who has to curl up with a pillow in my arms and you can't do that wil a nb, esp since I'll be protecting him from dh all night!

Holly, eternally in love partners.gif with Kolby, Raising Juelie Anise (10y), Behnjamin Shen (6y), and Coen Syaoran (4y). Expecting June 2013 2ndtri.gif

Old 04-18-2006, 08:11 PM

Gosh, I'm glad I"m not alone in this!! I have been sleeping horribly lately and have been realllly tired. To the point where I'm like, OK, how much of this can my body take before preterm labor kicks in or something?? Besides the fact that I have all the pregnancy insomnia/discomfort/peeing/etc., I also have a toddler with fairly poor sleeping habits, and I never get to nap during the day (which was my lifesaver with DS 1's pregnancy). NAPS, NAPS, NAPS. Boy do I miss them...

Mama to 3 kids. We live in a yurt!
Old 04-19-2006, 12:37 AM

I've been sleeping in the guest bedroom for the last month. I did this in my last pregnancy too. It's just too hard on both of us for me to sleep with him right now. I am too uncomfortable and up at least three times a night to pee. And he's in med school and gets up at 5:30, so I really don't want to disturb his sleep so he can function in school. I did move back into our room as soon as the baby was born last time and we co-slept with the baby, which didn't bother us at all, and will do the same once this little one is born.
Old 04-19-2006, 02:25 AM

I just forego all pillows. I'm basically sleeping on my stomach but I kick one knee way out so that my body is at about a 45 degree angle. DH jokes that my belly is my kickstand. I alternate sides and there's practically no weight on my hips this way and none at all on my shoulders. It's pretty much the side-lying postition from my Bradley class, but I'd been doing it my whole pregnancy, before I had a name for it.

However, I just got over a huge sinus congestion thing myself and it's definitely easier to breath when your upper body is angled upward, so you may just want to try the couch thing until you get over it. I've had it twice for about a week, week and half each time. No fun at all! Breathing steam didn't seem to help, I just had to let it takes its course. Bleh.

Lisa - dd 6-06
Old 04-19-2006, 11:10 AM

I have been getting horrible sleep lately, as well. I think the night before last I got up 4 times to pee. The worst part, though, is that a mockingbird, or maybe a family of mockingbirds, has moved into the tree outside our bedroom window. This thing will start singing its head off at 3 am, 5 am or all night long!! My husband went and threw dirt clods at it the other night. LOL He has been mentioning the bb gun, and I can't even discourage him on it. It feels like a matter of survival at this point. Although the odds of him actually hitting it at 3 am are pretty much nil. Anyway, I am a horrible nap taker and have become a grumpy walking zombie lately. My poor 2 yr old. I know I'll be getting much more sleep once the baby actually gets here Only 6 1/2 wks left!!
Old 04-19-2006, 11:39 AM

i gather we're all having this same problem at this point in our pregnancy! i have a body pillow that i "hug" all night. and i can't lay in one position all night, im a flipper, flipping from left to right all night long, just rolling hugging my pillow. we have a tempeurpedic bed and that has made a world of difference on the hip/shoulder pain!!! try getting one of those memory foam bed toppers or an old fashion egg crate works wonders!

w/ carson, my 2nd, we had a regular old mattress and my hips and shoulders hurt so bad that i usuallly ended up on the couch and slept better cuz the back of the couch acted like a support. plus, im sure my husband was getting tired of hanging on to the edge of the bed for dear life as all my pillows pushed him off.... LOL!
Old 04-19-2006, 01:15 PM

Yeah, I'm there with all of you. Plus, DH has been snoring recently and that totally irritates me-- once I wake up, I can't fall back asleep. Last night I couldn't stand to have him touch me I was so edgy, other nights I get mad at him if he doesn't. I do end up sleeping on the couch or on my stepson's bed (when he's not there) but that makes me resentful too. I want DH to sleep on the couch!
Actually, I find it all kind of sad, because we really like sleeping closely and it's hard being apart at night, even if it's what is required to get sleep.
Plus, things at work are busy and I need even more energy there-- when I have almost none to spare!
Ugh.
I can't wait until I can sleep on my stomach again.
Old 04-19-2006, 04:10 PM

A few weeks ago, I started sleeping on top of the down comforters. It's helped with the hip fatigue from lying on one side or the other.

My man snores, too, and sleeps in the guest room when it gets bad.

The worst, though, is the occasional helicopter from 2am to 3am. Definite downside of a major metropolitan area.

User Tag List