Help Me, My Toddler is Driving Me Nuts - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 16 Old 05-10-2006, 11:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ok, not on the brink of insanity, but her defiance, pickyness, and, well, being a 2.5 year old is a little exhausting on this tired, big bellied mama. Am I alone?

mom to dd 8/03 ds 6/06 and numero tres, ds 11/11 stillheart.gif

#2 of 16 Old 05-11-2006, 12:45 AM

Well, my 20 month old is driving me insane on occasion, but that would probably be happening anyway even if I wasn't pregnant! Of course he drives me insane in his silly, toddler-like ways which sometimes are totally cute, but mostly the things that really get me are when he doesn't want his diaper changed or to get dressed. Because I can't go running around after him like I used to, and if he goes all floppy on me it's much harder to deal with.

Also, he's very touchy feely and if he squirms his hands under me at night or feels my face or tries to feel the "nurses" (even just on the outside of my nightgown) I seriously feel like my skin is crawling. I feel guilty about that one, because he loves to cuddle me and pet my skin, but right now I just can't handle it!! Poor little guy!

Mama to 3 kids. We live in a yurt!
#3 of 16 Old 05-11-2006, 01:14 AM

Ohhh yes. My DS turns 2 next week. He's driving me nuts.
He's an obsessive "twiddler" even though he weaned in December. He's constantly got his hands down my shirt, up my shirt, wherever he can get them. He snuggles by digging his head into my side... slathers his little self all over my belly. AGH! Skin crawling is definitley what it does to me.

Of course, now when he throws a tantrum or refuses to let me dress him, I can't bend over and pick him up and he knows it and takes advantage of it! I can't hardly lift him into bed or into his carseat. It's getting SOOO hard and really it's the number one reason why I'm ready to be done with this!
#4 of 16 Old 05-11-2006, 01:20 AM

My almost 20 month-old is sometimes driving me nuts too, but it is due to my physical limitations more than his actual behavior. Like he won't let me rest. He comes over when I need to sit or lay on my side for a few minutes and takes me by the hand and pulls and says, "Walk?" and if I don't he will scream. And I can't really get down on the floor to play very well 'cause I am so cumbersome it hurts. And he wants me to pick him up ALL THE TIME especially to go down the stairs, even though he is perfectly capable of doing it on his own. I can't wait to get this baby out of my body so I can function better!
#5 of 16 Old 05-11-2006, 04:04 AM

Quote:
Also, he's very touchy feely and if he squirms his hands under me at night or feels my face or tries to feel the "nurses" (even just on the outside of my nightgown) I seriously feel like my skin is crawling. I feel guilty about that one, because he loves to cuddle me and pet my skin, but right now I just can't handle it!! Poor little guy!
:

Wow I felt really bad about this. Glad I'm not the only one.

Mama to Alexis 8/1/03 and expecting 6/22/06
#6 of 16 Old 05-11-2006, 10:35 AM - Thread Starter

Maybe she's not a toddler anymore, but a preschooler. It's wild how kids get categorized. Kids are kids. Anyway, I digress.

mom to dd 8/03 ds 6/06 and numero tres, ds 11/11 stillheart.gif

#7 of 16 Old 05-11-2006, 12:24 PM

your soo not alone. I have more or less given up trying to discipline. She isnt doing things that are bad, just being two.....sooo who cares that she is wearing her pjs today and doesnt wanna get dressed right? i pick my battles where i can. Its just sooo not worth it these days. Im sure it will bite me in the butt later...oh well. Thats why DH is gonna be home to help those first 2 weeks of babe being here
#8 of 16 Old 05-12-2006, 01:09 PM

Your not alone my almost 3yr old is driving me up a wall lately:
but she makes up for it since she just started saying "I love You Mommy" but it comes out "I Lub You Mommy"

Kami(30)knit.gifDH(34)Alex(9),brokenheart.gif(4/05) brokenheart.gif(7/05),Ryker(7)brokenheart.gif(11/10) 
rainbow1284.gif Harlan (11/4/2011)http://www.desertreadingloft.com--Independent Usborne Books Consultant

#9 of 16 Old 05-13-2006, 10:03 PM

Kathryn, you're words are my thoughts exactly. DS (34mos) has been 'getting his way' a lot lately. I simply haven't got the physical or emotional energy to explain why we have to get dressed in the mornings. LOL. SOme days, he does, and then strips down nude again. Thank goodness the weather is mild. Yay for summer babies!!
ETA: A lot of what he does is soooo normal, it's just me being exhausted, so I'm trying really hard to remember this when he incessantly bugs me to play physically tiring games. I feel like a bad mum somedays, b/c I simply know we've/he's watched too much TV, and less physical activity than he needs.
#10 of 16 Old 05-13-2006, 11:47 PM

They are ALL (ages 5, 4 and 2) making me crazy! Dh calls all the time to ask how they are, but I think he is starting to fear the answer. Of course I can't really blame them as they have been sick, I have been sick and EVERYONE seems to be getting on my nerves lately. It's frustrating when they won't listen and they seem to be hunting in packs these days. Hope I can make it through without a complete mental breakdown. Hang in there mamas - not too much further to go!

Nichole, mama to 6 blue-eyed babies, LCCE, doula, apprentice mw
#11 of 16 Old 05-13-2006, 11:53 PM

Jumping over from July...my almost 2 year old is driving me batty also!!! I think it is the great conspiracy of our children!!!

Kim, Mama to 4 and 1 more on the way!
#12 of 16 Old 05-14-2006, 07:28 PM

My 2 1/2 year old (32 months) is driving me a bit cuckoo. She still nurses frequently at night and it's been a bit draining. Her older brother (4) did the same when I was pregnant with DD.
#13 of 16 Old 05-14-2006, 08:27 PM

Mine (almost 5 and 2 1/2) aren't exactly driving me crazy, but like a PP stated, they are just being their age and I don't have the energy to deal with it. It's all I can do to make sure they are fed during the day, and we all come out of it relatively unscathed. I feel badly the most for ds#1, because when ds#2 takes his nap, ds#1 wants to know what we (he and I) can do while his brother is sleeping. Usually, I'm like, "Oh, honey, Mommy needs a nap too ... you can play baseball on the computer for a while." Sometimes he'll cuddle with me while I doze though and watch a movie, but I know our days aren't quite what they could be. Only 2 1/2 weeks to go though ... and then it's summer and daddy is home from work.

Me + dh = heartbeat.gif ds (7/01), ds (11/03), ds (6/06)
and dd born 11/21/10 - our T21 SuperBaby ribbluyel.gif heartbeat.gif
#14 of 16 Old 05-14-2006, 10:02 PM

Popping in from July...my 18 month old is discovering so many new things...and getting into them! It is so hard to keep up with him and his new discoveries and age-appropriate behavior (screaming mine )

But then, one of his new discoveries ends up being something hilarious, and hubby and I can't help but have swelling hearts!

Busy wife to dh for 5 years and mama to ds1 (11.09.04), ds2 (7.17.06) and ds3 coming Aug 09. :::
#15 of 16 Old 05-15-2006, 03:36 PM

I've been so grouchy with DD lately too. She's 2 1/2 and can be very high need and stubborn at times (mostly all the time). I have been trying really hard to be very patient with her. My sister gave me a wonderful gift for Mother's DAy: a little box with a picture of DD and I on the cover and inside she wrote somthing like "mommy when your frustratred read these slips of paper and remember how much you love me." And my sister asked DD all the things she loves about me and the things I do for her. It was so cute I had tears when I read it.
#16 of 16 Old 05-15-2006, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisap
I've been so grouchy with DD lately too. She's 2 1/2 and can be very high need and stubborn at times (mostly all the time). I have been trying really hard to be very patient with her. My sister gave me a wonderful gift for Mother's DAy: a little box with a picture of DD and I on the cover and inside she wrote somthing like "mommy when your frustratred read these slips of paper and remember how much you love me." And my sister asked DD all the things she loves about me and the things I do for her. It was so cute I had tears when I read it.
What a beautiful gift your sister did for you! It brought tears to my eyes just reading about it!

Me + dh = heartbeat.gif ds (7/01), ds (11/03), ds (6/06)
and dd born 11/21/10 - our T21 SuperBaby ribbluyel.gif heartbeat.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page