Motherhood Nursing Bras? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 21 Old 05-17-2006, 03:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I am IDNO a couple of good nursing bras and unfortunately I dont have a ton of $$ to spend - I was looking on-line and Motherhood has a couple that look OK, does anyone have their bras, and if so, would you recommend them?

They have one sleep one that is only 11.98 and pne soft cup nude colored one for the same price; seems likea great deal, but I would love to know they aren't junk before I order them.......

Anyone?

homeschooling, earth loving Mama to 3 crazy, wonderful boys, ages 10 & 7, & 3 mos.,3 spirit babies                                Inch by inch, row by row.  Gonna make this garden grow  
#2 of 21 Old 05-17-2006, 03:17 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
In a word: they suck. I have two and I think I wore them each once, maybe twice. No support, terrible construction, look like they'll fall apart if I think about them too hard. I'd go for another company's, definitely.
#3 of 21 Old 05-17-2006, 03:41 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I have the soft cup underwire nursing bras. They work great for me. I think they are very comfortable and have worn them for most of my pregnancy.

I will point out that I am a large B/small C cup, so super-support isn't so much of a neccessity for me.

Check out my business, Pangaia Metaphysical Store, and radio blog, Pagan Musings.
I'm a witchy mama to DS ('06) and DD ('10) with DH, Stormie, a heathen homemaker daddy.

#4 of 21 Old 05-17-2006, 04:46 PM

I have them and I like them a lot too.

I have two with underwires and one with no wire. I like the no-wire best. I am 36C and temporarily get up to a D when my milk comes in before things settle back down again.
#5 of 21 Old 05-17-2006, 05:30 PM

Get the ones with the plastic snaps, I always had to use two hands to close the ones with the metal hook. I like them, they are nothing special (this time I splurge on something with LACE). They wash well and every once in a while I even bleach them. However, I also splurged on a Bravado while in the hospital (and I sent DH back to get a second, DD cup, poor soul, he must have been mortified in that "lingerie" store).

And maybe don't get the ones with the underwire. I say that because I always got uncomfortable with the underwire (by midday the wire would somehow cut into my flesh...), and they are supposed to be the culprit (at times) for blocked ducts and other nursing un-happinesses...

Good luck.

PS: motherwear.com has some nice ones, check the sale, maybe you are lucky!
#6 of 21 Old 05-17-2006, 05:37 PM

I wore Motherhood nursing bras last time around and they were fine... held up just as well as anything else I had. I don't really reccommend getting the softcup bras until you've gotten used to nursing again just because they're a little cumbersome to get them to fold down far enough (especially for the first time moms) and I know some people will undoubtedly have problems with underwire, though I didn't. I'm a small C, so support is not really an issue here either.

Now... once I had the whole nursing thing down and I wanted cute softcup bras... I went to regular lingerie stores and got front closure bras. With the softcups, it's SO much easier to use a front closure than to try and yank and bend the cup down from the top like you have to with regualr nursing bras.
#7 of 21 Old 05-17-2006, 07:05 PM

I've been wearing them for most of my pregnancy, and while nothing special, they work just fine. I'm a 36C so, I don't need tons of support. I haven't nursed in them yet, so I'm no help there! I have the kind with the plastic snap/hooks.

Chessa , mama to Silas T (6/06) , wife to Chad . Welcome August Emerson! 2/8/10
#8 of 21 Old 05-17-2006, 10:04 PM

I prefer the nursing bras I got at Kohls - they are the same material, but no underwire. I hate the underwire. Yick.

WOHM married to SAHD, living the dream w/our: 3 girls (14,12,10) and 3 boys (7,5,3) and tie-breaker due Jan 2014

#9 of 21 Old 05-17-2006, 10:32 PM
Banned

I bought one at motherhood maternity and ended up hating it... If I would have tried it on I would have NEVER spent the money... However, I went to Wal-Mart (not sure if you have one near you or not) and spent $12.00 on one that I LOVE dearly. It's so nice plus I got to try it one before I bought it... Maybe you should check there if thats an option for you. Plus, if you have had a baby shower and gotten a gift card for Wal-Mart you could use it and it would be no money out of pocket to you.

Good Luck!!!
#10 of 21 Old 05-17-2006, 11:04 PM

My favorites are Blue Canoe Jane's Plus bras. I live in those! And also very similar to the Bravado but MUCH cheaper and actually better made is the YES! Sport. You can get them off eBay from the retailer for a little bit cheaper. I like that she uses a large hook/eye and has the hook part on the strap and the eye on the cup. No more blind under a shirt frantic searching for the little bitty eyelet.
She's only got 1 auction up right now (closed in an hour) but she usually reposts a couple at a time. You can buy multiple ones for the $14 price! I can't get her website to work right now but I think she sells them for about $18 on her website. She's in Canada but it doesn't take a long time to ship at all. She is EXTREMELY helpful on making sure you get the right size.

YES bra auctions.

I don't wear underwire anymore (and I was a diehard underwire wearer!!) because I don't like way it fits anymore and don't want to increase the chance of getting a clogged duct. Those really suck.
#11 of 21 Old 05-17-2006, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladybugamber
$12.00 on one that I LOVE dearly. It's so nice plus I got to try it one before I bought it... Maybe you should check there if thats an option for you. Plus, if you have had a baby shower and gotten a gift card for Wal-Mart you could use it and it would be no money out of pocket to you.

Good Luck!!!
I also got mine at walmart and I LOVE THEM! I got the sports version and I think they were $10 or $12. My advice to you though would be if you do go to walmart try on EVERY single one before you purchase. I bought 3 all the same style/size and they all fit differently too big, too small & just right

Another word of advice, unless you need to switch to a larger size bra before giving birth, wear your regular ones as long as you possibly can! After almost a year I am sick to death of wearing mine : , but they do the job.
#12 of 21 Old 05-17-2006, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BelgianSheepDog
In a word: they suck. I have two and I think I wore them each once, maybe twice. No support, terrible construction, look like they'll fall apart if I think about them too hard. I'd go for another company's, definitely.
Lurking from July to say :
#13 of 21 Old 05-18-2006, 07:43 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks, mamas, I feel like it is such a crapshoot with Motherhood - some of the clothes I have gotten there have been GREAT, others, crap (like fading and falling apart issues). hmmmm.

I had problems with clogged ducts with ds and had 3 or 4 breast infections no fun, let me tell you. SO I am going to avoid underwire this time around; just in case this aggravated the situation.

I never thought about checking Walmart.

I will def check out the Yes bras - thanks so much

homeschooling, earth loving Mama to 3 crazy, wonderful boys, ages 10 & 7, & 3 mos.,3 spirit babies                                Inch by inch, row by row.  Gonna make this garden grow  
#14 of 21 Old 05-18-2006, 08:43 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Jumping in from Nov... I like the Yes! bras as well, although I had to sew the straps in position so the adjuster thingy doesn't slide around and loosen. Has that been fixed in the last 2 years? I know my previous complaint about Bravado bras - rolling band - has supposedly been fixed, so I don't know if the Yes! bras have also had their issue fixed. But that's the ONLY issue I have with them. They're VERY comfy and very easy to use that plastic clip. I paid $15 each for 2 new Yes! bras a couple years ago - got them off Ebay like the PP mentioned. The seller was VERY friendly and helpful with sizing - she was great.

I need to go get some more of those, and this time get the ++ style. I like that better than the + style (but I also have a DD cup, and that's after settling into my long term nursing size).

Mama to Tornado Boy (6/04), The Brute (11/06), and Mischief (05/09)... expecting in February '15
#15 of 21 Old 05-18-2006, 08:55 AM

Has anyone tried these. The price seems too good to be true. They look comfy. I'm a little concerned about ordering them, because I can sometimes get away with a 36D, but I'm often a 36DD.
#16 of 21 Old 05-18-2006, 09:09 AM

I'll agree with the Walmart suggestion, and add Target. I found several sports bra type ones at both locations I liked very much, and a few soft cup ones too, and a lot of tank tops with built in shelf bras, I love those - just stretch it down, nurse, and lift back up. I only had one "good" underwire/lightly padded bra with an underwire that I'd wear if we were going someplace nice. I also hate the ones that have that support section that wraps around your boob with a cutout fhole for the nipple area, so I cut those out of any I got and was so much more comfortable. Oh, and I liked the plastic hooks best, then the snaps, then the wire hooks. The wire hooks always seemed to bend on me at some point.

Know what? the good bra is a Motherhood one, now that I think about it. Oh, and I got 2 "sleep" ones at Motherhood that I hated. Must have blocked that from my memory .

ETA: I'm an ample D while nursing, FWIW, and didn't find I needed underwire support (though I do wear underwires out and about when not nursing...)

Heather, WAHM to DS (01/04)DD (06/06). Wed to DH(09/97)
#17 of 21 Old 05-18-2006, 09:53 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Has anyone tried these. The price seems too good to be true. They look comfy.
I saw these as well - 3 bras for 9.99 DOES seem too good to be true!

The Motherwear store has a couple of great looking ones that are not too expensive.....

And I think I will order a Yes! bra - it looks great! Thanks for the heads up

decisions, decisions!

#18 of 21 Old 05-18-2006, 04:29 PM

I took a look at the Motherwear bras, but couldn't find anything I loved based on the pictures. Anyone have a favorite that is no underwire? They seem to have free shipping till 5/31, so I would love to get in on that if I could find one I really wanted.
#19 of 21 Old 05-18-2006, 05:23 PM

I have several of their nursing bras and I like them alot. I'm not small either. I went from a 34C to a 36DD this pregnancy and they still seem to be really good.
#20 of 21 Old 05-18-2006, 05:39 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
but couldn't find anything I loved based on the pictures
I thought these ones looked good - hth

http://www.motherwear.com/prod.cfm/cid/50/sid/6121

http://www.motherwear.com/prod.cfm/cid/50/sid/6126

#21 of 21 Old 05-25-2006, 07:59 AM - Thread Starter

Just wanted to update that I received my Yes bra yesterday and I LOVE IT!!!!!!!! It is really comfy and pretty, and affordable - the tota lwith shipping was $17.99....I may get another......just wanted to throw that out there!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page