Ice Cravings.... - Mothering Forums
June 2006 > Ice Cravings....
Simplicity's Avatar Simplicity 02:35 PM 05-18-2006
Ok, I have no other non nutritional cravings at all. But I've noticed in the last couple weeks I crave eating ice like crazy! I've read that this can be a problem or is it that it's only a problem if I crave other non nutritional items? I've read that eating too much ice can cause low Iron or means I have low iron.

Anyone else craving ice?

lotus.blossom's Avatar lotus.blossom 03:04 PM 05-18-2006
Popping in from July DDC......

Give me a cup of crushed ice over ice cream any day!
I go through at least 2 cube trays a day. Sometimes I just wait till the ice is melted enough to chew, and sometimes I pulvarize it in my blender. Anyway it comes, I need it! My iron levels are fine so I don't see the correlation. I guess there could be worse cravings!
Simplicity's Avatar Simplicity 03:22 PM 05-18-2006
That's totally what I was thinking
Quote:
I guess there could be worse cravings!
Just got worried a bit when I read that about craving things like ice but it also said other non nutritional thing too which I'm sure is more of a problem.

I do love ice. Ya know, when I'm not pregnant I enjoy chewing on ice. It's really nothing new. It's just gotten worse as the day comes closer.
ChasingPeace's Avatar ChasingPeace 05:41 PM 05-18-2006
I've read that ice cravings can indicate an iron deficiency.
frog's Avatar frog 05:42 PM 05-18-2006
When we figured out that I'm anemic, I was chomping on ice all the time. Early on, it was the only non-food item I was craving. If it's easy enough to get your iron checked, you should do it. Anemia's nothing to mess around with.
ckhagen's Avatar ckhagen 05:51 PM 05-18-2006
I JUST got over this. I did it with DS1 and didn't know that there was a correlation. Sometimes the anemia does not show up on your blood test... It didn't show up on mine this time, but I was chewing more ice than DH could stand.

I went to the HFS and picked up a bottle of Floradix. I chug the 2tbsp twice a day with some OJ... let me tell you. It's like night and day the difference! I can actually get up off the couch without feeling like I'm going to die and I can pass up the freezer without fixing myself a giant cup of ice.
Simplicity's Avatar Simplicity 02:28 PM 05-19-2006
Well, As it turns out I do have low iron after all. It's not super low or anything. Just alittle below average for a pregnant woman.

Anyway, Was given iron supplements.... Took one this morning. Promptly puked about 40 minutes later. Now what? Ugh!
ckhagen's Avatar ckhagen 07:09 PM 05-19-2006
Go get some Floradix!
The iron supplements made me violently ill and super constipated. Floradix is an extract, a natural extract that has absorbable iron rather than virtually fake, unabsorable iron that will just make you sick. You will feel sooo much better, I promise
Simplicity's Avatar Simplicity 08:50 PM 05-19-2006
Thank you! I'll have to see if I can find some around here. I refuse to take another iron pill and puke it back up. That was horrible. I've felt like crap all day after taking it too.
Simplicity's Avatar Simplicity 08:54 PM 05-19-2006
Floradix Iron plus Herbs?
StacyL's Avatar StacyL 12:38 AM 05-20-2006
Ice cravings? That's kind of funny! I guess we crave weird things when we're pg. I've never craved ice, although I have to admit that Moolatte from Dairy Queen on TV today looked appealing...
witt's Avatar witt 01:41 AM 05-20-2006
popping in from July ddc too...........

I have always loved crunching ice, don't know why and my iron is fine!!!!
so am still crunching like crazy now too........... even in winter
Simplicity's Avatar Simplicity 02:33 AM 05-20-2006
I've always loved ice. I eat it all the time. Not like I do right now but pretty close. I just know it's gotten worse as time goes on and I decided to check it out. And sure enough.. I have low iron. Too weird.
ckhagen's Avatar ckhagen 09:10 PM 05-20-2006
Yup, Floradix Iron with Herbs. I gawked at the $21 pricetag at my HFS, but I bought it anyway and it's been sooo worth it. Twice I've missed a dose and started going downhill and feeling like a worthless lump again, so I know it's the Floradix working.
eco_mama's Avatar eco_mama 11:51 PM 05-20-2006
I'm definitely not craving ice but in the past week my cravings are tomato sandwiches and (all natural) bbq chips. Which is REALLY weird because I'm not a huge fan of raw tomatoes and I rarely, if ever, have 'chips' in the house.
MsMoMpls's Avatar MsMoMpls 12:50 AM 05-21-2006
Oh my goodness... just had to pop in and say I had such huge ice cravings with all three of my pregnancies- no iron issues here. I knew more about ice, thought more about ice, tried to manage my ice crunching... it was the closest thing I have ever experienced to addiction... and the minute I gave birth it was gone. Weird, huh?
ckhagen's Avatar ckhagen 02:01 AM 05-21-2006
I've heard that you can have a form of anemia during pregnancy that does not show up on a typical iron blood test. It has to do specifically with B12, but it's still anemia and it still causes the ice chewing.

Btw... there's an entire site devoted to ice chewing obsessions. Google it... it's something like ice-chewing.com.
ksjhwkr's Avatar ksjhwkr 04:22 PM 05-21-2006
Butting in from July - I LOVE ICE!!!!!!!!! And, I have great iron! So, I don't think that it has anything to do with your iron levels (although I could be wrong). For me, it's the crunch and the cold that I just can't get enough of!!!!
Simplicity's Avatar Simplicity 05:18 PM 05-21-2006
I really thought it was all about the cold for me. I crave all cold things. Ice, Ice cream (laugh), cold cold water, Popsicles, ice pop thingys. But it did turn out that I do have a little lower than average iron right now. It's not super low or anything just a bit low.
witt's Avatar witt 05:27 PM 05-21-2006
forgot to say ....... i love ice and have always eaten it and don't have low iron......... BUT I have to crunch in secret or when I'm alone because my partner says the noise of it drives her up the wall!!!!

Anyone elses partner hate the sound?
Simplicity's Avatar Simplicity 11:39 PM 05-21-2006
So far my hubby hasn't complained about the sound... I'm sure he'd like to but since I'm pregnant I'm sure he doesn't want to go there with me. ROFL. JK.
eco_mama's Avatar eco_mama 03:29 PM 05-23-2006
I was just reading up about the symptoms of severe anemia and ice craving is one of them.
frog's Avatar frog 03:33 PM 05-23-2006
:

While some people just "love ice," anemia's nothing to screw around with. The symptoms are a lot like other things (depression and allergies, for starters) and are easily explained away (Well, I'm pregnant! Why wouldn't I be tired/out of breath/irritable?). I wasn't pregnant when I got sick but dealt with the symptoms for more than two years before landing in the hospital for THREE blood transfusions.

It's easy enough to fix. Get it checked.

/soapbox moment from someone not even in this DDC
Up