Stupid Insurance people- mini vent- and insurance question- - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 05-18-2006, 08:11 PM - Thread Starter
SLY

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Im having a friggin baby in less than 3 weeks, and my DH's job decided to get everybody new insurance. Im supposedly having a repeat C section 06/06 and our new insurance which goes into effect 06/01 may or may not cover a stupid circumcision!

(Note: if it were up to me, id not have one for this new baby, nor would i have gotten one for our 4 yr old when he was born, but DH has severe, deeply ingrained, "circumcize the child NOW" issues that I wont get into, other than to say that yes, #2 will be having a circumcision. its that or divorce... )

So, on with the vent- With like 3 weeks to go I suddenly have to potentially come up with like $450 out of pocket to pay for this! As if I wasnt struggling as it is!

Does anyone out there have Cigna Hmo and know if they do cover this dumb stupid procedure?
#2 of 14 Old 05-18-2006, 08:14 PM

Sorry, but I think it's kind of cool they don't.
I know this doesn't help you out
Good luck with your new baby!
#3 of 14 Old 05-18-2006, 08:21 PM
Banned

I think it depends on which plan you get. You can always call your hubby's HR department and find out if they cover it or not. They will know more about it. I would hope they wouldn't change benefits on you... but if they did the HR department will know what you can do to maybe get around it..

Good Luck!! I have worked with insurance for years and I know better than anyone it's a pain in the butt!!
#4 of 14 Old 05-18-2006, 08:36 PM - Thread Starter
SLY

(plantmama- i, too, think its kinda cool that they may not cover it- it not being a medical necessity, and all that...just some cultural thing... anyway, i think its kinda cool, too. But still frustrating, financially anyway, in this situation! )
#5 of 14 Old 05-18-2006, 09:54 PM

I think if it doesn't cover it, maybe your husband would consider not doing it?

I had cigna and it was covered (I asked out of curiosity, not b/c we had it done) and they said yes, but what they covers varies from employer to employer.

Michelle -mom to Katlyn 4/00 , Jake 3/02, and Seth 5/04
#6 of 14 Old 05-18-2006, 11:36 PM

I agree w/ the pp. Perhaps since the insurance company won't cover it, he'll decide not to do it. Maybe? Hopefully - for your sons sake!! But putting the 'circumcision' aside - I understand the finacial frustration. Hang in there mama, don't let it consume you too much!
#7 of 14 Old 05-19-2006, 09:37 AM

Lots of insurance companies don't cover it anymore. It is cosmetic surgery. My dh would circ. over my dead body.
#8 of 14 Old 05-19-2006, 12:44 PM

Jumping in from August, but had another thought.

Since you are scheduled for a c/s, could you call the hospital and ask them to find out for you? Generally, they have to call anyway to get preapproval, so it would be easy for them to ask.

Steph, wife to C, mama to O :, E , and I :.
#9 of 14 Old 05-19-2006, 02:44 PM

In this case, if your husband wants it done and you don't, what about leaving it all up to him to sort out? Calling insurance, coming up with the extra cash, etc? It may be a small blessing in disguise. Funny how busy those last few weeks of pregnancy can be, and some things just slip through the cracks.
#10 of 14 Old 05-19-2006, 02:52 PM

:
#11 of 14 Old 05-19-2006, 03:32 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommitola
In this case, if your husband wants it done and you don't, what about leaving it all up to him to sort out? Calling insurance, coming up with the extra cash, etc? It may be a small blessing in disguise. Funny how busy those last few weeks of pregnancy can be, and some things just slip through the cracks.
ITA

Let him do the leg work, since he's the one who wants it.

Check out my business, Pangaia Metaphysical Store, and radio blog, Pagan Musings.
I'm a witchy mama to DS ('06) and DD ('10) with DH, Stormie, a heathen homemaker daddy.

#12 of 14 Old 05-19-2006, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommitola
Indeed. If he's the one who's so gung ho to push this issue, he should be the one handling all the arrangements. (Do you mind terribly if I hope that he can't get it set up?)
#13 of 14 Old 05-19-2006, 03:49 PM

That it what I did. I made my husband deal with it. He was the one who wanted it done, so he was the one who needed to look into it sine the midwives don't do it.

As far as the financial thing goes, if your insurance doesn't cover it, maybe the dr that does it will let you pay over time? At least break it up for you. And if you pay just a little a month, they can't hold it on your credit or charge finance charges for a medical procedure, right??

~C~
#14 of 14 Old 05-19-2006, 04:38 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
hmmm...

Choosing DH and mutilating my child or having no DH and a non violated child... not a real hard choice. Get a back bone mama, this is your child, if you don't want it done put your foot down! Don't let your DH's insecurity issues become your child's. I mean is he worried about having a son that's "more" man then he is or something?

Seriously?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page