Electric breast pump suggestions? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 18 Old 05-22-2006, 09:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My mother has offered to buy me an electric pump, given that it looks like I'm going to have to express my milk for a heck of a lot longer than we had originally thought, and we can't afford an electric pump on our own.

Any suggestions from those of you who have used them in the past?

Sarah - Mama to Vic (1/19/00), Syd (4/06/02) Sam (4/20/06-born at 30wk2d), JackJack (2/14/07) and Charlie (4/30/10)
#2 of 18 Old 05-22-2006, 09:58 PM

Medela pump in style....loved it. Hated pumping but the I had no problems with the pump. Are you exclusively pumping...it looks like you had a preemie...sorry I don't know the details. If so then an expensive/good pump is the way to go. I got mine from a store on ebay..new...and paid quite a bit less than what I saw them for new. It's worth the money if you want to make it through...but also a lot of hospitals rent hospital grade pumps if you need something until the baby comes home (assuming my first assumption holds true, that you are pumping for a preemie). But if you plan to go back to work and will be pumping then having your own good electric is essential in my opinion.

Cypress
#3 of 18 Old 05-22-2006, 10:16 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I 2nd the PIS! LOVED mine!

Seriously?
#4 of 18 Old 05-22-2006, 10:31 PM

I also recommend the Medela Pump in Style. Try to get one off Ebay. I got mine there for cheap $$.
#5 of 18 Old 05-23-2006, 07:30 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I had a pump in style as well - I actually got mine through the WIC (Women, Infants and Children) office for FREE! Not sure if that is something you qwould be interested in or would qualify for, but getting that pump was totally worth it
The PUMP in Style was GREAT for me, I pumped for almost a year after I went back to work.

homeschooling, earth loving Mama to 3 crazy, wonderful boys, ages 10 & 7, & 3 mos.,3 spirit babies                                Inch by inch, row by row.  Gonna make this garden grow  
#6 of 18 Old 05-23-2006, 10:17 AM

Me too on the Medela PIS, but eventually I just started using the Avent Isis hand pump b/c I found it to be more comfortable and even more effective! Plus, easier to take to work.

Mom to : DS1 (11), DS2 (8), DD3 (4), : DS4 (1), and : : :
#7 of 18 Old 05-23-2006, 10:34 AM

Yep Medela pump in style! It has been the best I tried!
#8 of 18 Old 05-23-2006, 10:37 AM

jumping on the bandwagon and going with medela pump in style!! LOVED mine! new they're about $275-$300, but ebay has some cheap!
#9 of 18 Old 05-25-2006, 02:25 PM - Thread Starter

I'll pass the info on to my mom about the PIS. Yes, I am pumping for a preemie. She is home, but still not strong enough to get a full feeding from me, and my milk supply is dwindling to just over an ounce at each pumping. I'm incredibly paranoid that I'll dry up, so I'm trying to pump as much as possible and put her to breast every chance I get to increase my supply. She's only been home for a week, so we've still got some time to work on it. I can't take anything to supplement my supply, like fenugreek, because she has a kidney condition and herbs would make it difficult for her kidneys to process waste.

Thanks for the advice, ladies!

Sarah - Mama to Vic (1/19/00), Syd (4/06/02) Sam (4/20/06-born at 30wk2d), JackJack (2/14/07) and Charlie (4/30/10)
#10 of 18 Old 05-25-2006, 04:00 PM

Okay I'm the dissenting opinion on the Medela PIS. I like my Ameda Purely Yours better. To me its much more versitile since it isn't "part" of the bag, I can take it out and put in on the desk or where ever. I think its quieter than the Medela and I like that its impossible for milk to back up into the system.

Here's a great thread from the July DDC with lots of info about the different pumps out there.

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...highlight=pump

Check with your insurance company, you might be able to get them to pay for if if your Pedi writes a script for it. since breastmilk is so important for Preemies especially.
#11 of 18 Old 05-25-2006, 07:09 PM

Get your ped to prescribe a Lactina, or one of the other hospital-grade pumps, especially if you're having supply trouble, or your DD hasn't developed a good suck yet. PIS's are recommended for moms who already have an established supply.
#12 of 18 Old 05-26-2006, 04:17 PM - Thread Starter

It's pretty much a moot point now. My milk is gone.

I'm sleeping with her, carrying her with me all day long, drinking tons of water and milk and juice, my diet is better than it's ever been, and I'm pumping every two to three hours, around the clock. After all of that, my milk has still dried up. I just pumped and go only a few drops from each breast.

This is one of the main things I was looking forward to in having a baby - getting to breastfeed - and now it looks like I'm not going to get to do that either.

So, I lost out on my ideal birth situation, I had my baby taken from me immediately, we were separated from each other for a month while she was in the hospital, and now I can't feed her.

Feelin pretty darn low now.

#13 of 18 Old 05-26-2006, 08:48 PM

Don't give up yet!!!

You are under a ton of stress right now. Call your local LLL! What kind of pump were you using? Where you using a hospital grade one? If not, rent one. There is a difference between the hospital grade ones and the regular on the market one. The hospital grade are able to get a letdown often when a regular one can't.

Have you tried Fenugreek? Mother's Milk tea or tincture? Are you taking any other herbs for supply boost? Find out if your OB or your Pedi will prescribe Domperidone, it isn't readily available at all pharmacies but one that does compounding should be able to get it for you.

http://www.kellymom.com/health/meds/...actagogue.html

and

http://www.kellymom.com/herbal/milksupply/index.html

Don't give up yet, you might not have totally lost your milk yet but having a low day.
#14 of 18 Old 05-27-2006, 06:16 PM

The OP can't take fenugreek (babe has excretory issues) but I second (again) the idea of a hospital-grade pump. My son wasn't getting enough for at least a week before I rented one, and I went from 0 to 4-5oz per session.
#15 of 18 Old 05-27-2006, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonnymoose
The OP can't take fenugreek (babe has excretory issues) but I second (again) the idea of a hospital-grade pump. My son wasn't getting enough for at least a week before I rented one, and I went from 0 to 4-5oz per session.

Blessed thistle also works really well without the side effects that sometimes go with fenugreek. Also one drop of fennel oil on your chest will increase supply, I've heard to engorgement!! I got engorged from blessed thistle. I was taking 12/ day. Don't give up
#16 of 18 Old 05-27-2006, 09:40 PM

Yes, I also second the rec for a Lactina hospital grade pump. Your MW or doc can write you the script ASAP and it's usually covered for the first month and then around $20 per month after (to rent). You can get your milk back. The PIS was assuming already having a BF'ing relationship. It's probably the best thing next to a Lactina, which unfortunately costs around $900 to buy outright.
#17 of 18 Old 05-28-2006, 08:32 PM - Thread Starter

My parents suprised me this weekend by renting me a Lactina, which I've been using every two-three hours since yesterday evening. I went from getting 20ml a session to getting 40ml a session immediately, so hopefully we can keep increasing that amount. DD is drinking 40-50ml at each feeding from her bottle, so we're close. I'm trying to pump more often than she eats so that we can stay ahead of the curve and can avoid giving her any more formula. For some reason, when she has the formula, she wakes up an hour and a half later wanting to eat again. On my milk, she sleeps for at least 2.5-3 hours between each feeding. Not to mention the whole stinky poop factor. Geez...people aren't kidding when they say formula poopies stink way worse than breastmilk poopies! WHEW!

Thank you so much for the support, mamas. We've got a long way to go, but I don't know what I would do without this place to come to.

#18 of 18 Old 05-29-2006, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sehbub
It's pretty much a moot point now. My milk is gone.
Don't despair. Please contact a lactation consultant, LLL, a pedi or even go online and research the word, "relactation." It is NOT too late. There is also medication which you can take which can help you reestablish your supply.

Please see this as only an obstacle and not the end.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page