2nd time mama, "first timer" question - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-24-2006, 09:34 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I guess DS didn't really prepare me for some of this stuff, because he never engaged past -2 station and I never felt B/H contractions with him...

...this baby, totally different. So, I'm just throwing this out here to see if this is "normal". I'll be callign the midwife when the office opens too, but wanted to see if there was a lot of BTDT, too.

I'm not necessarily "contracting", but it seems like every time I freeking MOVE the past 2 days, I get menstrual-type cramps really LOW in my uterus. BUT, if I lay down, they go away....so I'm guessing that that means this is OK.

...so: Normal? Abnormal? Anyone else? I feel kind of doofy even posting this, but as I said I never had this happen with DS, so even though I've already been preggo before, it was nothing like this one. Also, all the definitions of B/H and prodromal labor don't really seem to fit my experience, either, which is another reason why I'm asking - it's not the whole belly, it's just down low, like having my period.

Anyhoo. Thanks for any insight y'all might have, I'll be able to call the MW office in about an hour.

Heather, WAHM to DS (01/04)DD (06/06). Wed to DH(09/97)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-24-2006, 09:54 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So normal. You are having bh! Happens with your second. If it makes you feel better call, but it is perfectly normal. Fun isn't it
Old 05-24-2006, 10:06 AM - Thread Starter

yeah - REAL fun...:

I guess I was just confused cause they seem so low instead of all over, like my labor was with DS....

Thanks for the reassurance!

Old 05-24-2006, 11:46 AM

My DS never engaged either, although I did have weeks on end of back to back BH. So, I'm on edge waiting to feel some sort of "pressure" or horrible pelvic pain (you have no idea how happy I would be to feel it ).

That said, I've had very very few BH this time, but every single time I get up, attempt to lay down, or pick up my 2 y/o, it launches me into a huge BH contraction. That's really the only time I have them, but doing something like picking him up to go put him in his bed is cause for an instant contraction...weird.
Old 05-24-2006, 01:25 PM

With my first I barely felt BH and never had period-like cramping or contractions. But this one, WOW. I have been having off and on contractions for a week now as well as the period-like cramping. I hope it will help with my labor though as my first ended in a c-sec after water breaking first and then having to be induced due to contractions not starting on time

Mama to Alexis 8/1/03 and expecting baby Dylan 6/22/06. Hoping for a successful VBAC
Old 05-24-2006, 04:55 PM

Those period type cramps actually help the dialation process so be happy you feel them. Even though they're uncomfortable! I've been having lots of them! Plus some BH's.
Old 05-24-2006, 05:15 PM

Yes, they're normal AND they're helping you progress in effacement and dilation, like Ecomama said. The past few days I get it a lot, like I feel like I'm about to start my period. I suppose I'm just about to go into labor! Well, within a couple weeks anyway, since I'm due in less than that!

Mama to 3 kids. We live in a yurt!
Old 05-24-2006, 09:14 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks very much, everyone - I did end up calling and talking to the midwife, and she said it could be "early things brewing", but that as long as they went away when I rest, drank lots of water, and called them if I had any major changes (fluid, blood, or they don't go away when I rest) that everything is A-OK and I'll see them on June 1....at which time I will officially be full term, and will be very relieved!!

Thanks again!

User Tag List