Anyone else not have a baby's room? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
1  2
June 2006 > Anyone else not have a baby's room?
TryingMommas's Avatar TryingMommas 03:40 AM 05-28-2006
How nice to see this thread. We want to co-sleep & bf and our place is a 1-br, so we never planned to have a nursery. Don't think we would even if we had more space, though the "playroom/stuff room" option would be nice. We're still trying to find a dresser for the baby's clothes and cd supplies - hopefully this weekend! Everything's in bags and bins right now, strewn all over the living room. The birth tub's being delivered tomorrow, so we *must* make space in the living room for the dining table so the tub can take up the small dining room... there's no other rooms for anything else except the kitchen!
But, we'll make it work
Nice to hear other's stories when I'm a little worried about space

ckhagen's Avatar ckhagen 04:14 AM 05-28-2006
We don't have one this time around, but it's really because we're "out" of room. We have a 3br (all very small rooms) house. We have the master, but we can barely fit our bed and dresser in there. One BR is the office/sewing/storage room and the other is the nursery we did for DS1. He just started sleeping in his crib within the last 6 months... but I've always loved having a "room" for him. I don't know why, I just like having the decorated, baby-fied room. We have his changing hutch, chest, toy box, crib, and glider in there. I'm actually sad that this baby won't get the same treatment even if it is totally unnecessary. We hope to move soon and hopefully the rooms will be big enough to put both boys in the same room together and have a playroom too. But, for now of course the new little guy will be sleeping with me and in a bassinette sometimes (I have to have at least a couple hours sleep with no babies in the bed or I get really cranky).
ds2003's Avatar ds2003 01:04 PM 05-28-2006
We do have a baby's room but don't intend to use it right away. We got the crib and dresser from my sis who didn't use it becuase they coslept for 3 years so we aren't out any money if we don't use it. The baby will sleep with us for the first 6 months or so and then transition to the crib. I'm not against the family bed so if things go longer, I'm fine with that, but right now it isn't the plan. We will probably use the crib for sleep during the day if I'm not sleeping too as I should be.
mochimama's Avatar mochimama 02:31 PM 05-28-2006
What a relief that I am not alone here. I keep getting questions like "what is your nursery theme?" Theme? How about the "hodge podge of stuff we got for free from our friends" theme? We have a very small one bedroom home so the baby will obviously be in our room. We actually just set up the co-sleeper and a small changing table/dresser yesterday and found that upon rearranging the room, it actually feels bigger--even with additional furniture!
tsume's Avatar tsume 05:52 PM 05-28-2006
We have a small 3 bedroom house. One is the master where we all sleep. Then we have a 'study' where all the media stuff is at (computers and tv) and our books and then the playroom. The playroom has a fullsize bed that the cats and sometimes momma uses.

So, nope we don't have a nursery. And it freaks people out to hear that we don't. Even if we wanted one we don't have the room. Okay, I'll admit that I do want one but that's only so I can decorate the room in all the cutesy frilly baby things only to be used by the cats.
Selesai's Avatar Selesai 12:56 AM 05-29-2006
We're in a two bedroom apartment (about 1000 sq ft) and the second bedroom is for my stepson, who is ten. He is only with us about every other weekend, wed evenings, and holidays, but i guess he still needs his own room. The baby will stay with us, first in a sidecarred bassinet (or straight co-sleeping, if that works in our queen, but we already fight over space!) and then later in a sidecarred crib... I too would like a "nursery" only to decorate it with baby things!
I'm not bothered by not having a nursery, but I wonder about not having a den, it seems this place might start to feel small after the baby begins walking. But maybe by then we will have rearranged everything so it works a little better. or moved. ?
tsume's Avatar tsume 12:16 PM 05-29-2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by grace's voice
We have a king size and Dh and I still fight over the space. :
We have a King as well and DH takes up so much space and blames ME! I love having a family bed but I also want a momma bed that I can go and stretch out by myself without having to squish up.
Fanny1460's Avatar Fanny1460 12:27 PM 05-29-2006
I have no room. We live in a 1 bedroom flat and the bedroom's pretty tiny. We will cosleep and I have a Amby baby hammock as a back-up because the bed is small. I had to make space in the (again very small) wardrobe we have for baby's clothes. The carseat is above the wardrobe. No changing table. I plan to do EC and if I need to, I'll change the baby on the bed. We had to keep things simple and minimalist and that's not a bad thing for me.
grace's voice's Avatar grace's voice 03:31 PM 05-29-2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsume
We have a King as well and DH takes up so much space and blames ME! I love having a family bed but I also want a momma bed that I can go and stretch out by myself without having to squish up.

Exactly! He says I take up all the space, but there I am on the edge hugging my body pillow, all curled up while he's got his (very long) body sprawled every which way... I swear he grows extra limbs at night. AND, this baby seems to have inherited this "sprawling" gene! He's gets his parts so far popped out of my stomach I can actually hang onto his arms and legs! I have a feeling I'm in for several years of extreme exhaustion.
Caroline248's Avatar Caroline248 04:50 PM 05-29-2006
We got a king size bed when we moved to our house. It is great, and we can fit two kids in it and throw a third at our feet. Not ideal, we really don't sleep well that way, but in a time when it is bad sleep or NO sleep, we make do.

Now, I am afraid to add an infant to the mix, although my oldest two haven't come into our bed in a really long time. Actually, neither has the four year old lately?? Hmmmm....

I am thinking I may use the guest room during the night for me and the infant and my DH can have the master for him and the toddler if need be.

Who knows..."The best laid plans......"

~C~
Amys1st's Avatar Amys1st 07:02 PM 05-29-2006
We have a 3 bedroom house and we call the room we arranged "Maggie's room" w the crib/tot bed dh made and the changing area. Plus the dresser and closet has her clothes, cloth diapers etc. Maggie sleeps w us or in the arms reach co sleeper, usually next to us. But there is no "theme" this time around. What a waste anyway.

Our crib is solid wood that dh built and it converts into a tot bed. DD1 loved it and is in her own big girl bed now that dh made. He is now making her another dresser. She at least once a week also comes in and sleeps w us. But usually leaves since she feels crowded but she is welcome!

At the nicu, there was parents of twins near us. The father was remarking how he had work, visiting here, and finishing the nursery. He asked dh how our nursery was coming etc and will he have it done. DH said- "2nd child, we could care less about a nursery and she will sleep w us anyhow so why bother. " His sister took months to get her nursery together only to never use it. Finally by her fourth she just put a bed in the room and eventually her baby grew up and slept in it
1  2

Up