Anyone else not have a baby's room? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 41 Old 05-25-2006, 02:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We're fairly lucky to have a large master bedrrom, and I've cleared out my armoire and bedside table for the baby's clothes. A pack n play is set up for more storage and diaper changes. We haven't even thought of making the third bedroom into a nursery. Eventually, it will become baby's room, but probably not until next year. Anyone else? I figured, with cosleeping, there didn't seem to be a need. We made the loveliest nursery for DS1, and the efforts seemed silly afterward, as he/we never spent anytime in there, lol.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 41 Old 05-25-2006, 03:27 PM

I am actually tired of people asking if we have the "nursery" set up. I look at them like they are crazy. We are co-sleeping and exclusively breastfeeding, I am not getting up at night to tromp across the house to my screaming kid. We rearranged the bedroom to accomadate the baby too I like it like that though. Sometimes I wonder why some people have kids only to let the nursery and baby gadgets be the parents. We got a bunch of gadgets and a crib on the way from a friend, half of which will go to the second hand shop. The crib I will keep for when baby is older to put next to the bed as a co-sleeper. I have a swing for when I really need to get the house clean and a bouncer for shower time, other than that I will have slings (I sew) to tote my son around in, not a car seat or other gadgets, not even a stroller until I cant carry him anymore.

Glad to hear your cosleeping, its the best from what I hear. Dont be afraid to trust your gut on how to raise this baby, your heart will tell you what is right. After a year you may not want to let baby go to the nursery at night, they are the sweetest when sleeping and for most parents thats one time they have to spend with baby, especally daddies. Check out www.askdrsear.com great site, great dr., great information.
#3 of 41 Old 05-25-2006, 03:43 PM

We don't have a nursey. No room. The babies stuff is in our room. Baby will be co-sleeping anyways. I never have had a crib!
#4 of 41 Old 05-25-2006, 03:45 PM

we dont have one... we live in a 2 bedroom house and the extra bedroom is the office. we put a crib in the bedroom, next to our bed, and bought an extra dresser for baby clothes. people keep on asking me how the nursery is coming along, assuming that we are going to convert our office into the baby's room... well, we both work at home part of the time and we need an office. and there is no way that the baby is sleeping next to the computer!

the first couple of times people asked me what my theme was going to be, i had no idea what they were talking about... until i talked to a few more soon to be mommas who are decorating their nurserys winnie the poo, or boats and trains, or whatever. ah well, to each their own, right? i feel much more comfortable with the idea of the kid being in the same room as us, anyways.
#5 of 41 Old 05-25-2006, 03:45 PM

I have a sort of weird set up. We have a sitting room off our bedroom, with glass doors. My 1 1/2 year old sleeps in there, since he still nurses once during the night. So baby will sleep in a bassinet next to my bed. That works best for us. Of course, the baby will probably end up spending mkost of the night in our bed, but I don't want both of them in the bed together.

We did set up the guest room as well. Well, I have a changing pad on the bed and the baby's clothes in there, that about sums up what I have done. I don't know how the older one will sleep with the baby stuff going on, so I plan on going in the guest room to change him, nurse him maybe. I am not sure. I am going to play it by ear.

But no, no separate room for baby. I have never done that...

~C~
#6 of 41 Old 05-25-2006, 03:47 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I don't have one. We are lucky that our bedroom is pretty big so we have room for the baby in there. Acutally, right now our house is only a 2 bedroom as we need to finish our lower level... so both our other kids are in the room right next to ours and there would be no chance of ever fitting a baby in there as well. We don't mind, the baby spends the first several months in our bed anyhow. I just cleaned out part of the closet for clothes/diapers and put a changing pad on top of our dresser and I will set up the Amby hammock at the end of our bed and we will be set!

Erika, mama to three beautiful kids (plus one gestating), and wife to one fantastic man.

#7 of 41 Old 05-25-2006, 03:52 PM

We've got a 2 bedroom condo, just over 700 sq ft. We're in one tiny room and dd is in the other. So, even if we wanted a nursery it would be out of the question! BUT, if we did have a 3rd room I wouldn't make it into one anyway. DD didn't have her own room until she was 2, and then it was primarily for toys. I just don't see what babies need that would take up a whole room!

Holly, eternally in love partners.gif with Kolby, Raising Juelie Anise (10y), Behnjamin Shen (6y), and Coen Syaoran (4y). Expecting June 2013 2ndtri.gif

#8 of 41 Old 05-25-2006, 04:12 PM

We live in a loft. We have no rooms anyway People have kindly informed us how much this will suck with a baby, to which I say "OK, let me put the place on the market and buy a new one in the next few weeks before the baby is born." We are considering enclosing our bedroom area with hanging panels or curtains for more privacy, but the baby will sleep with us. The baby's clothes will be stored where we store ours. We aren't getting much in the way of baby gear, and we were really picky that what we did get matched our stuff reasonably well. I think we can get a year or two out of this arrangement. I hope.
#9 of 41 Old 05-25-2006, 05:06 PM

Yeah, no nursery here either. I am always surprised when people ask about "how the nursery is coming" - it's just such a weird notion to dedicate an entire room to such a little person who will just be sleeping with us anyway! We, too, have a pretty big master bedroom, but we've been sleeping in the smaller room for the past 10 months or so (really crappy loud next door neighbors - but this should get better since the dumb kid next door is getting his license and therefore can drive around blaring his crappy music instead of sitting in the driveway right next to the bedroom blaring it : ) Anyway, we still need to move out of the little room into the big room and turn the small one into the guest room for my mom, who is staying with us for about a month after the babe is born (my request - we all get along really well and she is way not bossy, just helpful. I'm super lucky! ) DH has to paint some window sills and install our new blinds, but then we should be set to make the bedroom switch! I'm kind of freaking out that the baby will arrive before this can happen, but I guess it wouldn't be the end of the world.

But yeah, no crib, we do have a pack&play, which I predict will be used mostly for storage, and a swing and a bouncer we got for $8 used. It's pretty minimal. I do have to stay that we are kind of running out of room for baby clothes though!!! The one dresser we emptied for his stuff is already packed. People just love to buy us little clothes...And where the hell do you store all these blankets!?!? I swear we must have like 30 freaking receiving blankets, they're starting to take over the room. Do I really need them all, or should I start cutting some up for cloth wipes?

Chessa , mama to Silas T (6/06) , wife to Chad . Welcome August Emerson! 2/8/10
#10 of 41 Old 05-25-2006, 05:08 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Nope We have a changing table in our bedroom and a set of drawers that has all the babe's clothes, and a place for all of the cd stuff, and a bassinet that can roll around. I love it! iT is so warm and cozy in our room - ds1 will usually come in in the middle of the night (if he hasn't started out there anyways). I really, really love it!

homeschooling, earth loving Mama to 3 crazy, wonderful boys, ages 10 & 7, & 3 mos.,3 spirit babies                                Inch by inch, row by row.  Gonna make this garden grow  
#11 of 41 Old 05-25-2006, 05:10 PM

We live in a 2 bedroom apt. and have 3 kids so there was no nursury for the baby. She still sleeps in our room now at 2. I love having the baby close!

a:5:{s:9:"signature";s:273:"
a:5:{s:9:"signature";s:164:"Wife to H Antonio:, Mother to DD Kathleen 12,: DD Yoseleen 9,
DD Jasmeen 5, and DS Anthony 2,";s:7:"insider";N;s:6:"awards";N;s:10:"selections";s:0:"";s:8:"featured";s:0:"";}
";s:7:"insider";N;s:6:"awards";N;s:10:"selections";s:0:"";...
#12 of 41 Old 05-25-2006, 05:13 PM

I have a room with all her stuff people have given me(how do I make them stop!) but no bed, she will be sleep with us and we do have a changing table in our room.

Kaitlin
#13 of 41 Old 05-25-2006, 05:14 PM

The only thing a new baby needs are mama's warm breasts and tons'o'love! People already know we don't have a nursery but when they ask if we have everything ready, I really don't know what to say. We chose to live in a 1 bedroom apartment and we all sleep on a foamy on the floor--at least until we decide to stop being so nomadic. I am really happy with our simplistic, minimalist lifestyle but find very few people that can understand this is our choice. If/when our kids ask for their own room, we will reconsider our position. But until then...

I say do whatever works for you and your family and just feel good about it!

Syrinx, Soulmate to Pan, Mama to Zion (5), River (3), Silver (1) and expecting a baby Storm...
#14 of 41 Old 05-25-2006, 05:15 PM

We have a 3 bedroom house, and only one room set up as an actual bedroom.

One of the other rooms is an office (read: dd's playroom) and the other is a library (read: dd's playroom). DD sleeps with us and baby bean will, too. When we reach the point of dd and ds wanting their own space, we'll rearrange. In the meantime, this is the most functional and desirable setup for us.
#15 of 41 Old 05-25-2006, 05:16 PM

We have a 4 bedroom house, but when I was pg with #3 our spare room remained our guest room. We just set up a cradle in the master bedroom, along with an extra dresser for baby clothes. Baby was a couple of months old when we set up a room for him. He was still sleeping with DH & me in our room, but we moved the big bed that was in the guest room to my oldest son's room when he graduated from his toddler bed. So it just made sense to move some of the baby's stuff (like his dresser and changing table) into the newly empty spare room. We had a "stealth" crib in there, too, but we eventually moved it into our room as a sidecar. When dd got her big girl bed, when her baby brother was almost 1, we put her old toddler bed in baby's room. Sometimes he'd start out sleeping in the toddler bed but would then make his way down the hall to our room at some point during the night (still does.)
#16 of 41 Old 05-25-2006, 05:46 PM

No baby room here. I just can't justify the extra expenses when I know she'll be sleeping with me for the next year at least.
#17 of 41 Old 05-25-2006, 05:49 PM

I agree with the others here who think it seems weird to make a whole separate room just for a little baby. We aren't doing it. It does seem to surprise people...everyone wants to know if the nursery is ready. Well, let's see...our bed is still there, so yes, I guess it is. heh.

Eventually we'll give him his own room...but at least for the first year we have no plans for anything like that.
#18 of 41 Old 05-25-2006, 05:52 PM

Our room is baby's room. The same w/ dd when she was a baby. I never even thought of having a different room for her or this dc. Marley now has her own room (she's almost 3) but still comes in my bed in the middle of the night. We have a cosleeper for this baby and we're upgrading to a King size after we have the baby.
#19 of 41 Old 05-25-2006, 06:01 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by OwensMa
We're fairly lucky to have a large master bedrrom, and I've cleared out my armoire and bedside table for the baby's clothes. A pack n play is set up for more storage and diaper changes. We haven't even thought of making the third bedroom into a nursery. Eventually, it will become baby's room, but probably not until next year. Anyone else? I figured, with cosleeping, there didn't seem to be a need. We made the loveliest nursery for DS1, and the efforts seemed silly afterward, as he/we never spent anytime in there, lol.
I never planned to set up a nursery; it just never made sense to me to set up so much for a baby, who can't focus more than a few feet away at first anyways ( I just imagine the baby looking at me with this WTH look).

My mother said "what if he wants some personal space?"

Check out my radio blog, Pagan Musings.
I'm a head-covering witchy mama to DS ('06) and DD ('10) with DH, Stormie, a Heathen breadwinning daddy.
#20 of 41 Old 05-25-2006, 06:59 PM - Thread Starter

Ah, I'm glad I'm not alone. I didn't think I would be, here. DS1 slept with us until 2.5yrs, and I'm expecting this next little'un to do the same. I still read, even here, about nurseries, and I was wondering if I was missing something, lol.
"what if he wants his space"?!?! Wow, I haven't known many babies who would want their own space. Even Owen, who's nearing 3, still wants my space, lol. Thanks gals!
Quote:
we're upgrading to a King size after we have the baby.
Oooh, sounds nice!
#21 of 41 Old 05-25-2006, 07:08 PM

We have a king size and Dh and I still fight over the space. :
When dd sleeps with us neither of us get much sleep, there's just not enough room!
Sometimes I wish we had a bigger bedroom and we could just cover the entire floor with mattresses and make it a real "bed" room, and everyone could sleep together, and actually sleep!

Holly, eternally in love partners.gif with Kolby, Raising Juelie Anise (10y), Behnjamin Shen (6y), and Coen Syaoran (4y). Expecting June 2013 2ndtri.gif

#22 of 41 Old 05-25-2006, 07:14 PM

No baby room here either! I set up a nursery with #1, and we never used it since we co-slept (until he was 5!). With #2, I lived in a 2br apt, one room was the family bedroom and the other room was the playroom for #1.

We actually have four bedrooms now, but the fourth will be a guest br for a while. We'll need as much help as we can get! :LOL

Mom to : DS1 (11), DS2 (8), DD3 (4), : DS4 (1), and : : :
#23 of 41 Old 05-25-2006, 07:27 PM

Never had a nursery, never owned a crib. The only baby furniture I've ever had has been a master bed, LOL! I do have a Moses basket for daytime naps but that's about it. This babe probably won't have her own room til she's at least 3.

Ashley~certified nurse-midwife mama to 6 little novaxnocirc.gifhomebirth.jpglotbirth.gif loves, including sweet Cordelia Jane born at home waterbirth.jpgon 11/12/10.
#24 of 41 Old 05-25-2006, 08:10 PM

We set up the little room off our room.. but we call it the baby's stuff room. It was so so so fun to paint, I did a Lorax theme. I doubt the baby will actually sleep in there for a few years, but it's so fun to look at. It's where all the clothes/dipes and paraphenalia are stored. I may have a nursing station in there, but we'll see.

Mamato Ruby Violet joy.gif(6 with autism) and someone 1sttri.gif who should make him/herself known sometime in the next month.

#25 of 41 Old 05-26-2006, 04:05 AM

No nursery, never owned a crib, we invested in bed rails instead.

--K knit.gifluxlove.gif = dsd '01, ds1 '01, ds2 '03, dd1 '06, dd2 '09 grouphug.gif

#26 of 41 Old 05-26-2006, 12:54 PM

We don't. DD #1 has a room, which she has never slept in since she has always slept with us. But all the kids cloths, diapers, and changing table are in there. We don't have a crib or anything. Both kiddos will continue to sleep with us though.
#27 of 41 Old 05-26-2006, 01:15 PM

We have a crib in the dd's playroom, but neither of my girls ever slept in it. They slept with us and now they have their own room that they share, but we play musical beds at our house. Lately they've been ending up in bed together, which is adorable!!!

We've put all the baby's clothes, cd stuff and whatnot in the "playroom", but he'll sleep in a co-sleeper in our room. Then he'll move into our bed.
#28 of 41 Old 05-27-2006, 08:21 PM

No nursery is necessary! When I found out I was pregnant with Kalina, we had a small two bedroom apt.! My MW said to us, this baby could sleep in a shoe box if it needed to! So true - storage is all you really need a "baby's room" for. The crib we got became change station/storage. And now baby #2 is arriving and we only have 1 bedroom in our current house - so we're all together for sure!

Agnieszka wife to Kevin, Kalina (Jan 7, 2005), Tosia (June 4, 2006) , and baby Emmett (Dec 27, 2009)
#29 of 41 Old 05-27-2006, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leakyboobs
No nursery, never owned a crib, we invested in bed rails instead.
:

Actually with dd1 we had the whole nursery thing set up, crib and all, but never used it after I discovered attachment parenting (thank God!!) when she was around 6 weeks old. We sold the crib and invested in some nice fold-down bed rails for dd2 Both girls recently moved into their room together (although dd2 usually comes in our bed to nurse at some point in the middle of the night and stays there) so to make a nursery for this baby we'd have to give up our 3rd bedroom which is our computer room/office/guest room - not going to happen!! I hope by the time we do need a boys' room we'll be living in a bigger house!!

Kerriintactlact.gif blessed single mama to Teresa 8/2/02blahblah.gif, Madeleine 5/28/04dust.gif, Andrew 6/25/06jammin.gif, and Isabelle ribboncesarean.gif11/27/08energy.gif

#30 of 41 Old 05-27-2006, 11:22 PM

Four children. No nursery ever. Two are teen, two are wee ones. I think the USA invented this idea of a nursery. It makes money for the industry. More rooms, more stuff. We have a family bed. A large playroom, the bunk beds in the playroom are for our teens. That's it. They children have a great sense of togetherness and belonging. We love it.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page