Induced Labor.....Help - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 05-26-2006, 08:46 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I saw my OB yesterday and she wants to induce my labor if my blood pressure gets high! I'm so scared. This baby better come soon! Any thoughts. I know the usual squats and uh-huh, but any other ways? Thanks mamas, I just want to have this baby naturally!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 14 Old 05-26-2006, 08:52 PM

Are you progressed at all? (Dilation? Effacement?). If you're locked up like a vault, no matter what kind of induction you do, it likely won't work.

Is your BP high right now? Or is your OB just anticipating it to be high?? And by high... what kind of numbers are you looking at? There's so many factors. I hope there's more to this though, because it doesn't sound right...
#3 of 14 Old 05-26-2006, 08:57 PM - Thread Starter

My BP is 102/80, so why she is worried I don't know. Last week it was 120/80but I'm wondering if the nurse tranposed the numbers (it wouldn't be the first time!). With DD I did have pre-eclampsia, but I have no syptoms other than slightly swollen feet (but only when the weather heats up). She aslo said if I feel uncomfortable then I can induce. Well I have been uncomfortable for several months now! Last week I was not dialated, b ut my cervix was soft. She is going to check again next Monday.
#4 of 14 Old 05-26-2006, 09:16 PM

Neither 120/80 or 102/80 is anything to get induced over (obviously in my nsho non-medical opinion ). Sheesh. I too had pre-clampsia with my first and was induced at 35 weeks. However, I was so advanced, I had pitting edema up to my knees, my protein was off the charts and when I delivered dd1 (vaginally) my BP was about 200+/100+ - now that's something to be induced over, yk?

I mean I don't encourage anyone to wait until it gets to that point, but I was so glad I had docs who weren't ready to jump the gun b/c I was woefully uninformed being a first time mom. I did have the high BP and edema for weeks before that, but never dipped positive for protein in my urine. Only when that happened did they diagnose for pre-clampsia and start talking induction. FWIW at 35 weeks as a first timer, I had 2 cervadil the night before and my water broke the next morning. Of course I had pit, an epi, the whole nine yards, but I delivered her in 5 hours TBTG.

Do not let them talk induction or scare you into thinking you've got preclampsia with a BP like that and edema. The third sign is dipping positive for protein in your urine - two of three signs does not preclampsia make.

Sounds more like your doc is just getting impatient...sheesh as if she's the one having the baby!

WOHM married to SAHD, living the dream w/our: 3 girls (14,12,10) and 3 boys (7,5,3) and tie-breaker due Jan 2014

#5 of 14 Old 05-26-2006, 09:20 PM

Wow... I'm sorry, but I think your OB has lost her mind.
I was induced with my first for dumb reasons. I think SHE was ready for me to have the baby, so she made it sound important to induce, but it most certainly wasn't for anything other than convenience.

I would hate for you to go through what ended up happening to me over something so silly as this. Your BP is fine... baby is fine?... you're uncomfortable, but who isn't right? Induction is a serious procedure. Hang in there, I know it's hard not to just take her up on it, but it's not worth it unless you absolutely have no choice
#6 of 14 Old 05-26-2006, 09:21 PM

Do you have the Thinking Woman's Guide to a Better Birth? I know she talks about natural forms of induction in there, and also she should talk about high bp. I don't get why your OB would be concerned about those numbers though!

Holly, eternally in love partners.gif with Kolby, Raising Juelie Anise (10y), Behnjamin Shen (6y), and Coen Syaoran (4y). Expecting June 2013 2ndtri.gif

#7 of 14 Old 05-26-2006, 09:22 PM

Actually, you don't have to have edema to count as preeclamptic. The MFM people have decreed that you must have BPs above 140/90 and >300 mg/day of protein in your urine -- not a urine dip, but a 24-hour urine. Edema was removed from the diagnostic criteria because it's so variable and doesn't always happen even with lab changes.

mcimom, I think we had the same pregnancy. Except I also got to move on to the ever-exciting Land of HELLP Syndrome. But isn't it nice to pee off all that edema?

mama to Max (2/02) and Sophie (10/06); wife to my fabulous girl
#8 of 14 Old 05-26-2006, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxmama
But isn't it nice to pee off all that edema?
You can pee it off!??!?! Why didn't anyone tell me - you know what I did - I sweat it off - it was disgusting. I soaked the sheets every night for a week. But with a 5lb baby, I lost 30+ lbs in the first week alone! I couldn't believe my ankles when I took a shower 2 weeks later, I thought they looked like chicken legs!

WOHM married to SAHD, living the dream w/our: 3 girls (14,12,10) and 3 boys (7,5,3) and tie-breaker due Jan 2014

#9 of 14 Old 05-26-2006, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcimom
You can pee it off!??!?! Why didn't anyone tell me - you know what I did - I sweat it off - it was disgusting. I soaked the sheets every night for a week. But with a 5lb baby, I lost 30+ lbs in the first week alone! I couldn't believe my ankles when I took a shower 2 weeks later, I thought they looked like chicken legs!
45 pounds in a week, baby! I wore shoes for the first time in a MONTH going home from the hospital.

mama to Max (2/02) and Sophie (10/06); wife to my fabulous girl
#10 of 14 Old 05-26-2006, 09:41 PM

120/80 would not convince me to induce.
#11 of 14 Old 05-27-2006, 12:39 PM

Neither of those blood pressure readings is high. Please do not worry over what she said, and certainly try to stay as calm as possible when getting it checked next time, as simple worrying can make it jump up temporarily. I think it was wrong of your OB to worry you needlessly. I could understand her suggesting this if you've been reading 150+, etc, but you're not. Deep breath, Mama, you're okay!
#12 of 14 Old 05-27-2006, 02:36 PM

My BP got up to 135/80 a couple times with my first and with this one. My midwife never said ANYTHING about it. I don't know why your doc would already be talking about induction! Crazy talk!!!

Mama to 3 kids. We live in a yurt!
#13 of 14 Old 05-30-2006, 04:08 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks mamas. I feel a lot better!
#14 of 14 Old 05-30-2006, 06:21 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisap
Thanks mamas. I feel a lot better!
Ok, "normal" blood pressure is 120/60. So your diastolic (lower number) is a touch high, but nothing to get your panties in a bunch about.

BTW, if you practice breathing exercises (just close your eyes, chill out and breath deeply and comfortably) you can lower your blood pressure. If I can feel my heart beat in my temples or something, I focus on that and slow it down. So, maybe you can "self-treat".

Biofeedback rocks!!

Check out my radio blog, Pagan Musings.
I'm a head-covering witchy mama to DS ('06) and DD ('10) with DH, Stormie, a Heathen breadwinning daddy.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page