chicken pox exposure - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 06-08-2006, 10:48 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Oh mama's i woke this morning to find my 5 year old son has chicken pox!! I'm due in less than a week and we had planned to have him at the birth. He is so excited to be there..but what if he still has them?? I just want to sit and cry. I'm going to call my midwife soon and find out if there are any risks to me and the baby..and what the risks are if one of the kids has them after the baby is born.....
This is not what we need right now:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 7 Old 06-08-2006, 10:55 AM

hugs mama!! what timing!? hopefully you'll get good news from your mw. I do know there is new meds you can take to lessen the severity of the breakouts and shorten the duration of the rash.....hugs
#3 of 7 Old 06-08-2006, 11:30 AM

Aren't chicken pox only contagious for a little while? Maybe he'll be over that stage before the baby arrives. Good luck mama--hopefully your MW will have the perfect solution and all will be well!
#4 of 7 Old 06-08-2006, 11:32 AM

Oh yikes, talk about timing! I think they are only contagious for about 5 days, and that 5 days starts from a day or so before the rash even shows up, funny enough. Have you had them already yourself? I hope you get some good advice from the MW.
#5 of 7 Old 06-08-2006, 01:57 PM

#6 of 7 Old 06-08-2006, 03:23 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
HUGS, mama.....I am sure it will work out, hope fully he will be out of the contagious pahse before the new one comes, i would think that bf will help him with immunity after birth for a while. I will be curiuos to hear what your mw says.....good luck, mama.

homeschooling, earth loving Mama to 3 crazy, wonderful boys, ages 10 & 7, & 3 mos.,3 spirit babies                                Inch by inch, row by row.  Gonna make this garden grow  
#7 of 7 Old 06-08-2006, 06:40 PM - Thread Starter

thanks mamas.. I talked to my midwife today and she assured me there is no risk to me and the baby while i'm still pregnant...If i go into labor and have the baby while one of the kids is still contagious we may have to get some kind of meds for the baby ( i forget what she said it was)
On the good side she said that Kaleb can still be at the birth even if he still has them..she will jsut get him to wear a mask and gloves..she even said that if he is uncomfortable being the only one wearing them her and the other midwife will wear them too...that way he'll feel like part of a team..lol
Kaleb is doing great though..he doesn't feel sick at all..has no fever or anything and isn't even itchy!! So hopefully it'll blow over soon and his brother won't get them!!
I'll keep you all posted!

User Tag List