Baby wearing - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 78 Old 07-09-2006, 10:52 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm officially in love with my Maya Wrap, and it's funny because while pg I was the least interested in a ring sling. But yesterday we went out for dinner with my parents and Silas nursed all through dinner in the sling while I ate my dinner. It was freaking brilliant. And then afterward he just slept in it while we walked around the gift shop and all the shop ladies just cooed over him and the sling.

I'm still trying to get the hang of my Lucky Baby sling - it just seems to swallow him up!

Chessa , mama to Silas T (6/06) , wife to Chad . Welcome August Emerson! 2/8/10
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#62 of 78 Old 07-09-2006, 11:43 AM

We went shopping at Target the other day and I wore J.C in my hotsling and I got the strangest looks! You'd think I was walking around holding him by his ankles!! But again this is Ms. and not so crunchy, they're a few of us I have a maya wrap ring sling and a pouch and have yet to use either of those....thinking I'll use the ring sling today
#63 of 78 Old 07-09-2006, 12:14 PM

We are a little frustrated with our Over the Shoulder Baby Holder. Not sure if it's our lack of knowledge, or if she just doesn't like it. I think I don't like the padded rails. I ordered an instructional dvd that looked good for demonstrating a lot of styles: http://www.tummy2tummy.com/
I am going to watch it today, hope it's good. anyone else seen this?

funny enough, we got our picture taken by the local paper in the park outside our house while i had her in the cradle hold (sleeping, for once!), so i hope i have it on right. i'm sure some more experienced babywearer will see it and go "augh, i can't believe she has it on wrong!"
#64 of 78 Old 07-09-2006, 03:17 PM

Helen, i've heard lots of people say the OTSB is too padded. common complaint. It just seems so bulky to me. We were given one as a hand me down, and I have y et to try it. The maya is way better.

Well you all win... Hubby took the baby from 7:30 -10:30, and i went and laid in the guest bed (i'd say i slept, but i just don't sleep well without her near me now) and now that she's been fed again, he's taking her to run a couple of errands. I'm gonna read a bit online, then hit the shower... and am planning on taking it easy all day. I PROMISE!

Mamato Ruby Violet joy.gif(6 with autism) and someone 1sttri.gif who should make him/herself known sometime in the next month.

#65 of 78 Old 07-09-2006, 03:25 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiromama
Well you all win... Hubby took the baby from 7:30 -10:30, and i went and laid in the guest bed (i'd say i slept, but i just don't sleep well without her near me now) and now that she's been fed again, he's taking her to run a couple of errands. I'm gonna read a bit online, then hit the shower... and am planning on taking it easy all day. I PROMISE!

wanted to do hands clapping but wont let me

"The true joy of life is the trip. The station is only a dream. It constantly out distances us."
#66 of 78 Old 07-09-2006, 05:30 PM

I'm loving my Moby Wrap! He's sooo comfy in it and he just sleeps through anything (ie... 4th of July fireworks!) when he's in there. I have a Hotsling and a mei tai too, but he's just too small for the mei tai (I don't feel comfortable with him in it) and my hotsling is too small right now (it's from DS1) because my boobs are way bigger this time.

I get the funniest looks when I wear the Moby... it's quite comical.
#67 of 78 Old 07-09-2006, 07:06 PM

I've finally mastered the OTSBH. Made lunch with Aurora in it yesterday, and have gone on several bus outings wearing her. She has gotten used to it but I still want an Ergo as I think we would both be more comfy, the OTSBH is kind of awkward.

And it's hilarious to me how many people out in public are surprised that there's a baby in the sling. What do they think it is, odd religious garb?
#68 of 78 Old 07-10-2006, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BelgianSheepDog

And it's hilarious to me how many people out in public are surprised that there's a baby in the sling. What do they think it is, odd religious garb?
: laughup
#69 of 78 Old 07-11-2006, 05:46 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Just had to thank you mamas for those who said they put the babe in the sling even IF they are sleeping (in lieu of the carseat/ stroller). I have been doing this and it has been wonderful, so much, that I dont tthink I will really use the stroller at all anymore, it really IS easier just to wear him
THANKS!

Oh, and I wore my gypsy mam wrap to Costco and I got some "what the he**" looks - lots of looks with my rs, too! I love it! I feel like a babywearing ambassador!

homeschooling, earth loving Mama to 3 crazy, wonderful boys, ages 10 & 7, & 3 mos.,3 spirit babies                                Inch by inch, row by row.  Gonna make this garden grow  
#70 of 78 Old 07-11-2006, 05:53 PM

I just got back from a trip to cost co also! Ruby slept the whole time in the moby wrap.. There is no way I'd take the carseat in! She was awake when we got there, and she nursed the whole walk in from the parking lot (yeah for NIP!) then i put her in the moby and she passed out. She even slept through lunch in it. THe carseat (besides being heavy) would have been bulky and we couldn't have bought the large package of TP cause there wouldn't have been room in thecart for it!

Mamato Ruby Violet joy.gif(6 with autism) and someone 1sttri.gif who should make him/herself known sometime in the next month.

#71 of 78 Old 07-11-2006, 06:57 PM - Thread Starter

Just got back from our NICU aftercare. Again wore Maggie but this time we went back the nicu after the appt. The Director of the place who has been an attending there forever said- what a great little carrier! I have never seen anyone do that before! They get over 500 babies a year in this place!! Then one of Maggies nurses wanted all the info on it- she then tells me she is expecting. So now I have to forward her info on baby wearing!

"The true joy of life is the trip. The station is only a dream. It constantly out distances us."
#72 of 78 Old 07-20-2006, 09:18 AM - Thread Starter

More on this sling- I have now had 11 mamas come up to me at the pool wanting to know about this sling : One mama even tried it on w her babe! She then ordered it that night. I feel like the poster child for baby wearing.

#73 of 78 Old 07-20-2006, 09:27 AM

Amy, I know exactly what you mean!

I belong to a mamas group here in town, and about 5 of us are expecting or planning to have another soon. EVERY mama in the group wants to know more about the hotsling, and they always ooh and aah over it when I'm wearing Sam!

I got stopped in Target by a mama the other day who had her son in a Baby Bjorn, and she was hating every minute of it. She got this very excited look in her eyes and said, kinda breathily, "Is that a hotsling? Oh, I HAVE to get one of those!"

Everywhere we go, we get stared at when I'm wearing Sam. Even more so than when I was carrying her 4lb little self in my arms in our pre-sling days! It's awesome! I can't wait to find out what we're having this time around so that I can get another gender appropriate one for this baby!

Sarah - Mama to Vic (1/19/00), Syd (4/06/02) Sam (4/20/06-born at 30wk2d), JackJack (2/14/07) and Charlie (4/30/10)
#74 of 78 Old 07-20-2006, 09:51 AM

OK, so how "bad" really is an infantino cozyrider for a babe's spine and hips?:

I have a maya pouch, a homemade wrap, and an infantino cozyrider (from when DS was a baby, before I found MDC and all the great babywearing grear!), and DD seems to like the cozyrider best sometimes. She was fussy like crazy one day, and I tried her in both the pouch and wrap, and she still was wailing, so out of desperation I got out the cozyrider, and she fell asleep in less than a minute. I don't understand why she would like that better than the wrap, which essentially puts her in the same position but supports her bottom instead of leaving her hanging by her crotch.

Sometimes she's happy in the pouch or the wrap, and I always use those first, but sometimes she only likes the cozyrider....but I guess if I only use it when she won't stay in the other two, it could be OK, right? Not like she's gonna be in it for 10 hours a day or anything....or am I just rationalizing and I shouldn't use it cause of the positioning?

Thanks mamas!

Heather, WAHM to DS (01/04)DD (06/06). Wed to DH(09/97)
#75 of 78 Old 07-20-2006, 11:32 AM

hmmm, she may like the cozyrider b/c the wrap is too much material? maybe try a hold where you don't pull the wrap over her legs, but create that same effect with the material b/t her legs - like a hug hold but without pulling up the bottom material? or pulling up the bottom material but leaving her feet out?

I used the snugli with all 3 of my dds until I discovered the Ergo...so...:
I did have a RS with dd3 but she didn't really like it all that much unless she was asleep. Mikey is the same way, he likes that upright position from the mei tai or wrap rather than the sling or pouch where he's laying in a more horizontal position. In fact, I ditched the maya and the new native within a week. I've used a Kozy, Maya Tie or my Moby since then and he's a happy guy

WOHM married to SAHD, living the dream w/our: 3 girls (14,12,10) and 3 boys (7,5,3) and tie-breaker due Jan 2014

#76 of 78 Old 07-20-2006, 11:42 AM

So, several questions.
I have a maya wrap I'm trying to learn to use.
Philip was born w/ clubfoot, so he currently has casts on his legs, from tip of the toe to diaper line. His knees are somewhat bent, but not too much. I want to be able to nurse him in the maya, but so far I'm having difficulty getting him situated in there. How do a newborn's legs usually fit when in the horizontal position in the sling? perhaps the casts are too problematic for this position? also, it seems like his head is pinched by the ring, even when it is up high on my shoulder-- am I doing something wrong?
I have thought about just going w/ the vertical newborn position b/c philip really likes to be held like that, but I'm having trouble getting it to stabilize his head.
Any other advice given my special circumstances would be appreciated. I really want to be able to ditch the stroller and to nip more easily.
Thanks!
#77 of 78 Old 07-20-2006, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcimom
hmmm, she may like the cozyrider b/c the wrap is too much material? maybe try a hold where you don't pull the wrap over her legs, but create that same effect with the material b/t her legs - like a hug hold but without pulling up the bottom material? or pulling up the bottom material but leaving her feet out?
Hmmmm....I'll have to give this a try. Now, this morning was a pouch morning. I started with the wrap, she screamed; the cozy, she screamed....the pouch, she was out in 2 minutes

I had been planning on getting a MT because I figured it was close to the cozy but better for babe, but then I was gifted this wrap so I want to try to make it work....if I can't, I may order a MT anyway.

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll give it a shot and see if it works...I personally find the wrap the most comfy out of the 3 that I have, so if I can get it to work for her too, that would be ideal.

#78 of 78 Old 07-20-2006, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selesai
How do a newborn's legs usually fit when in the horizontal position in the sling?
In my pouch, I either fold her legs up crossed and turn her a little bit sideways, or I extend them and kind of hitch them around me a little....I dunno though if a ring sling would work the same way or not, I've never used one...but with casts the leg crossing would't work anyway, I would imagine...maybe try them extended out and sticking out of the material a little bit from the bottom? If you can get enough support around the butt area, maybe that would work? I'm certainly no pro though, so you'd definitely want to test my suggestion out for safety FIRST, Please!!

Good luck!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page