Baby wearing - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 78 Old 06-24-2006, 08:22 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
IMHO and IME I cannot see doing anything but baby wearing. Since there are dozens of options for you to choose from-anywhere from baby bjorn to mya wrap to the new native and even the snugli. It frees up both hands to do other things and the baby is so .

I know, I am preaching to the saved here. But now my vent (is it a vent?)
Why dont more people do it????? We had to take Maggie to her NICU aftercare appts. In the waiting room is DH and myself. He carrying my very small "Im still me" diaper bag and me slinging Maggie. We walked right in sat down etc. Others- have the carseat they took out of the car and stuck it in this huge contraption he just unfolded for ten minutes called a stroller. They they lug this huge diaper bag full of God knows what in the under storage and barely get in the place. Then the kid wails so they undo the stroller and rock the baby!! Then stick some stupid toy in its face:
All the while Mags sleeps peacefully in my sling and we get called in. The nurse asks if we need assistance. DH says "With what?"
she says- your things etc. Then she was surprised how we walked in like that.
She loved my cds and my sling. She said wow what a modern thing you moms have now. I told her- Mothers have been slinging for more than 2000 years!!! And cding much longer. This is not the first time I heard something along that line though.

Whereever we go (even when I did this w dd1) like minded parents say "I love your sling- very nice!" or ask which one it is etc. The other set with the huge suv stroller and carseat etc look at it in awe like how the heck do you do that?? Yesterday in Trader Joes someone even said- how quiet my baby was. A customer said- what baby and the first person pointed at my sling. The customer said- I didnt even notice a baby there! What a smart mama you are!

So why has this not caught on?
Share your baby wearing this time around and what you have encountered.

"The true joy of life is the trip. The station is only a dream. It constantly out distances us."
#2 of 78 Old 06-24-2006, 11:08 AM

There is a place for the stroller/carseat combo, IMO. When it's 95 degrees outside, Sam does NOT want to be held, period. She would much rather be in her seat, untouched and allowed to be moderately cool rather than snuggled up next to her 200degree mama. However, ANY other time, she loves the sling, and we've only had it one day (THANKS TO AMY!!) so I'm on both sides of the fence. The stroller we have really isn't a problem, in fact I can open/close it with one hand, and the carseat snaps on without a problem as well. It's just easier for us if we're going to be out in the hot summer sun for a long time, and Sam is happier. She's a hot baby

Sorry, Amy, I know it's not the reply you wanted! Just had to stick up for those of us who have a legit use for the stroller, but enjoy wearing the babe as well!:

Sarah - Mama to Vic (1/19/00), Syd (4/06/02) Sam (4/20/06-born at 30wk2d), JackJack (2/14/07) and Charlie (4/30/10)
#3 of 78 Old 06-24-2006, 03:13 PM - Thread Starter

See thats my problem- I hate the heat so I would be no where when its 95 degrees outside but in my air conditioned house or in a pool of cool water. So the sling it is!:

"The true joy of life is the trip. The station is only a dream. It constantly out distances us."
#4 of 78 Old 06-24-2006, 03:22 PM

I hear ya on that one. But with a 6 year old and 4 year old leading the way, we spend a LOT of time outside in the summer at the playground and outdoor events!

I too despise the heat!

Sarah - Mama to Vic (1/19/00), Syd (4/06/02) Sam (4/20/06-born at 30wk2d), JackJack (2/14/07) and Charlie (4/30/10)
#5 of 78 Old 06-24-2006, 03:23 PM

I think it is catching on.

I get more questions when I am slinging out in public than you can imagine. Dh too. Seriously - we get stopped at least twice while wearing a sling in public. I should just start carrying business cards for Hotslings. As it is, I just tell people to go to Hotslings.com, which is easy to remember. People are fascinated by the sling!
#6 of 78 Old 06-24-2006, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StacyL
I think it is catching on.

I get more questions when I am slinging out in public than you can imagine. Dh too. Seriously - we get stopped at least twice while wearing a sling in public. I should just start carrying business cards for Hotslings. As it is, I just tell people to go to Hotslings.com, which is easy to remember. People are fascinated by the sling!
Just make sure you put the "s" on hotslings, cuz I told my friend about the website and she forgot the "s" on the end and got a whole different kind of site if you know what I mean. Lets just say it was quite raunchy and very surprising to her when she was expecting to see slings
#7 of 78 Old 06-24-2006, 07:51 PM

We took one week old Ce Ce to a wedding last week in the sling and someone asked a friend of ours (who told us this later on): "Is that for holding up her boobs or is there a baby in there?"
And we thought we lived in a progressive community!
#8 of 78 Old 06-24-2006, 08:10 PM

Aurora hates her sling so far. I put her in it and her eyes get really big and then she starts crying. I am worried. I need her to like it for the sake of my sanity. I don't think she feels as supported in it as she would like to. I'd love to experiment with other types of slings, but it will have to wait until we have more money.
#9 of 78 Old 06-24-2006, 08:27 PM

I'm have a ring sling that is sorta girls*light blue with yellow flowers* from when i got into babywearing with Alexandria when she was 4months.

I'm trying to talk dh into lettin me buy a Bara Barn Shawl Wrap.

I'm kinda hoping to avoid buying a double stroller but not sure that will happen.

Kami(30)knit.gifDH(34)Alex(9),brokenheart.gif(4/05) brokenheart.gif(7/05),Ryker(7)brokenheart.gif(11/10) 
rainbow1284.gif Harlan (11/4/2011)http://www.desertreadingloft.com--Independent Usborne Books Consultant

#10 of 78 Old 06-24-2006, 09:51 PM

We love slinging our kids ... well, ds#1 is basically too big now (he's a couple weeks shy of 5), but ds#2 and Elliot love it. We use mostly ring slings that I make, but also love the Rebozo (ds#2 lived in it for the first 6 months). I bought a Mei Tai that I'm excited to try, and I made a light-weight wrap and a Korean Podegi to try. I want to buy a few more things from Peppermint.com maybe next month ... to me they are practical *and* a fashion statement. :

Me + dh = heartbeat.gif ds (7/01), ds (11/03), ds (6/06)
and dd born 11/21/10 - our T21 SuperBaby ribbluyel.gif heartbeat.gif
#11 of 78 Old 06-25-2006, 12:48 AM

I just ordered 1 yesterday from mammasmilk.com I can't wait for it to get here. Since Evie's due date is tomorrow, I'm still trying to get things done that I expected to have done before she arrived!
#12 of 78 Old 06-25-2006, 10:29 AM

I went outlet shopping with my mom a few days ago...we started out in the stroller/bucket combo (handy for toting loot), but as soon as DS2 woke up, I put him in the sling. I like hearing "Is there a baby in there??" after I've walked by someone.
#13 of 78 Old 06-26-2006, 12:00 PM

I do both. I often have DS in his baby bucket & even the stroller if he's fallen asleep. Moving him would just wake him, so I just leave him. I bring the sling if need be, but I let sleeping babies lie!

L

ribboncesarean.gif   vbac.gif  My kids jammin.gif  

#14 of 78 Old 06-26-2006, 02:01 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I think my ds hates the hotsling Wah! We are getting good at using our gypsymama wrap. I think I am going to get a new ringsling. He just does not like the confinement of the hotsling ATALL. Unless he is passed out.

I, too, will keep the babe in the carseat if he is asleep. But I have to admit, lugging that stroller around is TOUGH! The first time we got it out, after only carrying or slinging Avery for a week or so, I was just like,"I hate this thing! " It is so large and cumbersome (IMO). But, it does have it's place....

I want to get a mai tei, too........

homeschooling, earth loving Mama to 3 crazy, wonderful boys, ages 10 & 7, & 3 mos.,3 spirit babies                                Inch by inch, row by row.  Gonna make this garden grow  
#15 of 78 Old 06-26-2006, 02:12 PM - Thread Starter

We do not have one of those bucket carseats. we have the all in one so have to transfer her anyhow.

DH is not comfortable w the carry car seats. He as a pt has seen too many flatheads from those things. I guess some parents take it too far w leaving the baby in those for hours on end. So the Boulvard it is for us.

#16 of 78 Old 06-26-2006, 05:01 PM

I can't wait to get my sling stash. I'm getting a Hotsling to start off with.
#17 of 78 Old 06-26-2006, 05:07 PM

Amy, the flat head is tragic. Unfortunately, my DSD2 has a flat head, because biomom left her in her carseat about 16 hours a day after she kicked my DH out. She refused to hold a baby that looked just like my DH! Poor kiddo is 4, and it's very obvious that her little head is flat!

#18 of 78 Old 06-26-2006, 05:16 PM

Quote:
He as a pt has seen too many flatheads from those things

wow - that is so very sad I have seen it too, though, I mean, a baby never leaving his car seat. There should be a warning on them saying, "Do not leave your child in for longerr then X-amount of time." Jeez. Sad.

homeschooling, earth loving Mama to 3 crazy, wonderful boys, ages 10 & 7, & 3 mos.,3 spirit babies                                Inch by inch, row by row.  Gonna make this garden grow  
#19 of 78 Old 06-26-2006, 05:33 PM

I didn't wear DD1. I'd never heard of wraps or Mei Tai's and only had this snuggli that her and I both hated. Luckily, she loved her stroller and I seldom went anywhere without DH or mum. It was actually easier for me to just carry her in my arms.

I'm seriously considering wearing this one, since DD is 5 and I'll be much busier this time around and want to be able to get something done! I'm still undecided as to what to get as far as practicality and comfort goes.
#20 of 78 Old 06-26-2006, 07:12 PM

I always have carried my babies and rarely does the baby seat ever leave the car. If they are sleeping in it I just take them out and pop them in the pouch or the sling! They hardly ever wake up

I'm finding baby wearing very handy right now as I have two older girls to look after and I simply won't leave my baby unattended. I'm mostly using my Kangaroo Korner fleece pouch and sometimes my cotton maya type sling.
#21 of 78 Old 06-26-2006, 07:20 PM - Thread Starter

Yes it is so very sad! In fact in the nicu they had a special discussion about it w parents. They were glad when they heard we did not use one. Some parents even let kids sleep in them overnight.

#22 of 78 Old 06-26-2006, 11:22 PM

I never really did well with the ring slings or pouches - my babes have all liked to be in an upright position... so with dd1 and dd2 - I had the snugli (I know, I know, but I *loved* it! I wore them all the time in it!)

With dd3 I did the ring sling a bit, but once she was big enough - Ergo all the way! LOVE it - so worth the money. I also ended up getting a podeagi and made a homemade wrap that worked well, but that was way past newborn stage...

This time around I had 2 new natives borrowed to me (didn't like 'em), a maya (traded it in for a maya tie - which I !), a sutemi and a moby wrap (bought for me) and a friend has borrowed me a Kozy as well.

I've used the maya tie and the moby wrap the most. Tried the sutemi a few times, I don't like it enough to use it over the other two... I'm looking forward to trying my friend's Kozy in a high back position.

As for the "bucket" - even when Mikey is sleeping, I take him out and wrap him. Eventually he's going to wake up in most cases and I don't want to deal with that boondoggle...

But I do admit - I've put my kids to sleep in the bucket through the night or a bouncy seat, not regularly, but - it's GREAT for when they are congested - gets them just a bit more upright, yk? I hate to see them "over" used though. Nothing sadder than watching a mom go by while you're shopping with her baby in the bucket screaming...or seeing them rock the bucket while baby screams...

WOHM married to SAHD, living the dream w/our: 3 girls (14,12,10) and 3 boys (7,5,3) and tie-breaker due Jan 2014

#23 of 78 Old 06-27-2006, 09:10 AM

Wow, Leigh Ann, I checked out the maya tie and they look so great! I also like the ergo's but so $$$$$. Ds2 also likes to be upright, and I out him in the (gasp) Snugli the other day and he loved it!!!!! My ds1 loved it, too and we used it ALL THE TIME. hmmm, maybe I can find a used ergo....

#24 of 78 Old 06-27-2006, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amys1st
Some parents even let kids sleep in them overnight.
I've heard some people say that the carseat or swing is the only place the baby will sleep, and I'm sure that there are babies that find that positioning to be most comfortable. The problem comes with parents who see their child as an object to be carried around : rather then a person to be held and loved as much as possible. That's when the accoutrements are overused.

Check out my business, Pangaia Metaphysical Store, and radio blog, Pagan Musings.
I'm a witchy mama to DS ('06) and DD ('10) with DH, Stormie, a heathen homemaker daddy.

#25 of 78 Old 06-27-2006, 03:10 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
[QUOTE=Wolfcat]I've heard some people say that the carseat or swing is the only place the baby will sleep, and I'm sure that there are babies that find that positioning to be most comfortable. QUOTE]

My daughter was like that. Now I wonder if she didn't have some reflux, so the sleeping somewhat upright helped her. She was a premie and was colicky for months, so it makes sense. Wish I would have thought of it then though.

Erika, mama to three beautiful kids (plus one gestating), and wife to one fantastic man.

#26 of 78 Old 06-27-2006, 03:21 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
We don't have a bucket car seat this time around. DH and I would constantly fight over the stupid thing with the last two kids as I would want to sling them and to him it made no sense when you could just snap that thing into every cart/stroller/etc. We gave our bucket away when we moved though, not expecting to get pregnant and then when we went shopping it made no sense to spend $100 on a bucket that would last for less than a year (our kids get chubby fast) when we could spend just a touch more and have a seat that will last until they are all done with carseats and boosters. I am happy because it means that the bucket can't be abused.

We do have a tandem stroller though and I am sure it will be used some. Between a 4 year old, 2 year old, and an eventual newborn I am sure my hands will feel too full at times to carry anyone (or I might stick the older 2 in the stroller and carry the baby).

Erika, mama to three beautiful kids (plus one gestating), and wife to one fantastic man.

#27 of 78 Old 06-27-2006, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainsun
Wow, Leigh Ann, I checked out the maya tie and they look so great! I also like the ergo's but so $$$$$. Ds2 also likes to be upright, and I out him in the (gasp) Snugli the other day and he loved it!!!!! My ds1 loved it, too and we used it ALL THE TIME. hmmm, maybe I can find a used ergo....
The Ergo is pricey (so is the maya tie IMO - +$70 but I had a trade-in) but all I can say is it is worth every penny. It can be used from 4mo to 4yo and beyond. There are times I have backpacked a 6yo person in that Ergo. The other nice thing is that (well, except for my dh) most dh's will wear the Ergo where they might not wear a mei tai or a Kozy or a ring sling.

I totally admit - I loved my snugli too with my first 3 - LOL, it was just b4 I "knew" better and had tried an Ergo

WOHM married to SAHD, living the dream w/our: 3 girls (14,12,10) and 3 boys (7,5,3) and tie-breaker due Jan 2014

#28 of 78 Old 06-27-2006, 04:39 PM

Oh and I LOVE the maya tie b/c the straps are thick and that guatemalal fabric so it's almost like a combination b/t a wrap and a mei tai

#29 of 78 Old 06-27-2006, 06:10 PM

I had a duh moment yesterday. I took Astrid for her first pedi appt yesterday. Since I decided to bring my 3 yo dd with me and we were driving I used my single stroller and left my wrap at home. I also had plans to stop next door to the pedi's at my office to show off the new baby.

I figured since I had both of them, I'll make Rhiannon walk and use my Graco monster stroller to carry the baby. To make the story short, we never made it to my office because Rhiannon got her hand stuck in the elevator on our way to my office. I ended up having to call a co-worker down to help me carry Astrid because Rhiannon was too distraught to walk and wanted either to be carried or ride in the stroller.

Shows me for not bringing my wrap!

BTW, Rhiannon is fine, nothing torn or broken.
#30 of 78 Old 06-27-2006, 06:25 PM

Violet loves her sling, we put her in it right after we got home.DH loves wearing her too. She has a Dr. appointment in the morning and i will bring it for sure!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page