Nursing Mamas Thread - Page 4 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#91 of 119 Old 07-21-2006, 10:25 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What a story! "she no share" LOL - what a crack up! Glad you had a nip experience that involved someone very positive

WOHM married to SAHD, living the dream w/our: 3 girls (14,12,10) and 3 boys (7,5,3) and tie-breaker due Jan 2014

#92 of 119 Old 07-21-2006, 02:40 PM

i'm pumping for the first time, and it sucks!!! no pun intended!! not working too well. any ideas?

Mamato Ruby Violet joy.gif(6 with autism) and someone 1sttri.gif who should make him/herself known sometime in the next month.

#93 of 119 Old 07-21-2006, 03:18 PM

OK, seriously, what makes people park right next to you when you're parked at the far end of the parking lot, when there's at least 10 spots between you and the nearest car in any direction?

Twice now in the past 2 days I've pulled into a parking lot to feed DD, picked a spot that's out of the way, and and gotten down to business nursing DD in the front seat. And within 5 minutes each time, someone pulls in the big 'ole empty lot and parks right next to me. At least 50 other spaces, and they pick the one right next to me. Not that I care about the nursing part, I NIP whenever I need to; these two times it just happened to be most convenient to pull into a parking lot instead of waking up and hauling a (miraculously) sleeping toddler DS out of the car too to go sit somewhere inside, or waiting 10 minutes to get home with newborn screaming the whole way...but why do people have to park next to me when there are tons of other spots available? And then look at me in the car to figure out what I'm doing? And then look at me like I have 8 heads. DUH. I'm obviously NOT driving, I have the seat way back and reclined a little, the other kid is asleep in the back in his car seat, and the baby is on my boob, which is NOT covered up at all because I deliberately parked out of the way so I didn't concern myself with any modesty at all - in public, I usually throw a cloth diaper over my shoulder while I latch (for my own comfort), but not when I purposely park out of the way in my own car. So I figure if they want a show, if they REALLY want to know what's going on in my car, then so be it. So I pull DD off and make NO attempts to be modest, and take my time.

I just can't believe it happened two times in a row on two consecutive days...I'd better check when I park next time to make sure the "I'm nursing a baby in my car, please come stare at me" neon sign with the blinking arrow is turned on, so everyone knows for sure and can come see the show if they want, instead of wondering and havign to figure it out by staring at me.

Heather, WAHM to DS (01/04)DD (06/06). Wed to DH(09/97)
#94 of 119 Old 07-21-2006, 04:10 PM

niki~its nice to hear that you had a positive experience nip'ing. that lady seemed very helpful and nice..."no share" LOL!!! that's a boy for ya, always concerned about food!

4ofus~thats just too strange. and not so coincidentally sounding. since we have a van and the back windows are tinted, i usually hop in the back w/ him and nurse him. i sit in the 3rd seat in between the girls' carseats.
#95 of 119 Old 07-21-2006, 04:13 PM

A couple things about pumping:
It's totally normal to only pump an ounce or two at most. For some women, that's all you'll ever get at a time. Some can pump up to 4-5 ounces, but not many. This, however, does not have any bearing on how much milk your baby is getting when he/she nurses. So don't worry about that. Babies are much more efficient than pumps, and also your body knows it's a machine, not a baby. I could never pump more than two ounces at a time but I have tons of milk for my babies.

ALSO, to help with pumping: Think baby thoughts while you pump. Look at your baby (photo or the real one), relax, drink water. Use a good pump. Envision let down. DON'T PUMP FOR MORE THAN 20 minutes. Even if you have a second letdown, over 20 minutes is just too long. You'll wear yourself and your nips out.

All info from a great breastfeeding/pumping class I took!

Mama to 3 kids. We live in a yurt!
#96 of 119 Old 07-21-2006, 06:17 PM

The only time I get decent output from the pump (a lactina) is in the morning. Funny how that works. Last night I knew I needed to have a bottle ready, and I got a cool half oz from lefty. This morning, I got 3 oz in a few minutes from that side. OK, whatever.

Harper got her tongue-tie freed on wednesday. It was tough for all of us. They did it under general, and she got an IV. I cried so hard when the nurse carried her into the OR. Her little head was up over the nurse's shoulder, looking around, and I felt like she was looking for me, like "why aren't you coming too?" It only took about 15 minutes.

The doctor said hers was so tight that it would have to be done at some point anyway for speech, so that made us feel a little better about the decision. She didn't seem too fussed by any of it (once the IV was out, that was a tough moment). She was actually pretty chipper the whole day after the procedure, although we gave her infant Tylenol just to be sure. She can stick her tongue out at me now when we play "faces," where I make a face at her and she imitates it. And she is no longer mushing the nipple at all when she eats! Our next challenge is weaning totally off the stupid f$%#ing nipple shield. I'm afraid I let her develop bad latch habits while using that for the last 4 weeks. She doesn't flip her top lip out properly, so I have a bruise on each areola from that. I have to manually move the lip, and half the time she will pop off and get angry. We're seeing the LC soon, so I hope they can help. I'm not forcing the shield removal for now, we usually start without it, and she will gripe about halfway through a feeding, so I put it on. But we've done a few all natural feedings on each side, so getting better.
#97 of 119 Old 07-21-2006, 06:32 PM

Helen, I just got teary thinking about you and Harper... I'm so glad her proceedure went well!! Congrats mama! you made the best decision for her .

I'm looking at buying a new pump. I got one off the TP from a SAHM who had used it once (it was a promo) and then sold it. All pieces were still in plastic and never used. So... I assumed it was decent. ummm No. it's complete crap. I used it for 10 mins on each side and not only did I only get 2 tablespoons, my breasts are KILLING ME. MY LC recommended medela, so i'm looking at their occasional use products.

I am afraid i'm going to hate pumping. It was not fun. and I felt like a failure cause nothing came out. Of course i know Ruby is getting plenty, as she gained a pound in 2 weeks but I really need to pump because I have to go back to work in 3 weeks (ugh, makes me want to weep!) I'monly working VERY part time.. like two 3 hour days. Ugh. this is hard!

Mamato Ruby Violet joy.gif(6 with autism) and someone 1sttri.gif who should make him/herself known sometime in the next month.

#98 of 119 Old 07-22-2006, 12:29 PM

My friend Jackie came to the rescue. She lent me her PIS.. I went and bought all new hardware (tubes, shields, membranes etc)basically, she just lent me the electrical part of it. It's SO MUCH GENTLER!!! Of course it took me 25 mins to get an ounceout of one breast (Ruby had just drained the other one). Hopefully with some practice, I'll end up getting morewith time. I'm hoping to only have to pump once a day to build up a decent supply, since i'm going back very part time.

#99 of 119 Old 07-22-2006, 09:27 PM

Yay, Helen!!!! I'm sooo glad that the tongue-tie surgery worked out. I've been thinking a lot about you and Harper and hoping for the best! Hope that the nipple shield weaning goes off without a hitch.

Chessa , mama to Silas T (6/06) , wife to Chad . Welcome August Emerson! 2/8/10
#100 of 119 Old 07-23-2006, 03:39 AM

Helen, so glad to hear you had the tongue freed, it makes such a huge difference. Why did they need to put in an IV though? When we had Behny's done it was done by our Naturopath and he just put a clamp on the frenulum, crushed it (which numbs it) and clipped it with scissors. It took only a few seconds. He still pops his lip under too though, and I can't pull it out, its too small. So now it bleeds from him sucking on it with my nipple. But still my nipples have healed quite a bit since we had his tongue clipped. It will get better and better by the day.

Holly, eternally in love partners.gif with Kolby, Raising Juelie Anise (10y), Behnjamin Shen (6y), and Coen Syaoran (4y). Expecting June 2013 2ndtri.gif

#101 of 119 Old 07-23-2006, 08:53 AM

Helen and Korin, I'm glad things are looking up for both of you!

#102 of 119 Old 07-23-2006, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiromama
My friend Jackie came to the rescue. She lent me her PIS.. I went and bought all new hardware (tubes, shields, membranes etc)basically, she just lent me the electrical part of it. It's SO MUCH GENTLER!!! Of course it took me 25 mins to get an ounceout of one breast (Ruby had just drained the other one). Hopefully with some practice, I'll end up getting morewith time. I'm hoping to only have to pump once a day to build up a decent supply, since i'm going back very part time.
yay - i meant to rec a medela as well, but never got around to posting - always nak - right? i am pumping to build a small supply too - i'll be going back after labor day but not sure if it'll be part time (i hope!) or full time. this is the first baby that my dh will be the sahp to - he's sahped while i wohmed before but never with a baby only 3mo old...sigh. i really hope i'm only pt. anyway...i just pump whenever it seems like a good time - i'm engorged, he's full. i usually get b/t 4-6oz in 15min if i'm really full, i figure that'll make a bottle. i need to stock up and then hopefully when i go back i'll just be making what he'll need each day. i've never had to seriously pump b4 so i hope it works.

alright, dds needing oj...

glad to hear harper is doing so well yay!!

WOHM married to SAHD, living the dream w/our: 3 girls (14,12,10) and 3 boys (7,5,3) and tie-breaker due Jan 2014

#103 of 119 Old 07-23-2006, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grace's voice
Helen, so glad to hear you had the tongue freed, it makes such a huge difference. Why did they need to put in an IV though? When we had Behny's done it was done by our Naturopath and he just put a clamp on the frenulum, crushed it (which numbs it) and clipped it with scissors. It took only a few seconds. He still pops his lip under too though, and I can't pull it out, its too small. So now it bleeds from him sucking on it with my nipple. But still my nipples have healed quite a bit since we had his tongue clipped. It will get better and better by the day.
Holly, I was all prepared to get a simple office visit too! But our ped referred us to a pediatric ENT who is also a dentist, and he explained that her particular anatomy ruled her out of his comfort level for the in-office procedure. Her frenulum started at the very tippy tip of her tongue and ran very far back in the mouth, while also being very short vertically. So he actually totally removed it and cauterized it to give her full range of motion and prevent a lot of bleeding. The whole thing was done under general, and the IV was just a precaution because of her size (she's about 8.5 pounds now). But I figure better now than when she's a few years older. He thought it was enough where her speech and eating lumpy foods would be compromised.

Anyway, the lip thing is tough. I have no idea how to train her to do it on her own. And she still uses her "mandibles of steel" to clamp down instead of working the tongue fully, so we are seeing the LC tomorrow and the chiropractor on Wednesday. I am hoping some adjustments can help her relax the jaw a bit. I hope your situation continues to improve!
#104 of 119 Old 07-23-2006, 03:45 PM

Helen, I hope your Chiro does CranioSacral, If not.. ask her if she knows someone whodoes.... It's brilliant! (I'd do it for you if we weren't on opposite ends of the country!).

I pumped again this morning and was SO MUCH MORE SUCCESSFUL!!!! I got 3 oz in 15 mins from both breasts. One was completely engorged and produced the most, as Ruby had just nursed on the other side. Yippie!! I now have 4 full oz in the fridge. I think I'll have Ryan give her a bottle some time this week so we can see how she takes it.

Ok... Question.... If I'm only going back to work for two half days a week, how often should I pump? OUr LC said we should give her a bottle once a week for a couple of weeks before i go back so see how she takes it, but there is no need to do it everyday. Any thoughts? I may cross post this question in BF.

#105 of 119 Old 07-24-2006, 02:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommitola
Anyway, the lip thing is tough. I have no idea how to train her to do it on her own. And she still uses her "mandibles of steel" to clamp down instead of working the tongue fully, so we are seeing the LC tomorrow and the chiropractor on Wednesday. I am hoping some adjustments can help her relax the jaw a bit. I hope your situation continues to improve!

It took Behny a few days to figure out exactly how to maneuver his new tongue, and he still does use his jaws from time to time, esp if I'm really full or when I nurse him sitting up. We still nurse lying down most of the time, but we're paracticing sitting up as often as my cracked nipples and his blood blistered bottom lip can handle.

Holly, eternally in love partners.gif with Kolby, Raising Juelie Anise (10y), Behnjamin Shen (6y), and Coen Syaoran (4y). Expecting June 2013 2ndtri.gif

#106 of 119 Old 07-24-2006, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grace's voice
It took Behny a few days to figure out exactly how to maneuver his new tongue, and he still does use his jaws from time to time, esp if I'm really full or when I nurse him sitting up. We still nurse lying down most of the time, but we're paracticing sitting up as often as my cracked nipples and his blood blistered bottom lip can handle.
We saw the LC this morning, and she showed me a modified angle on both the cross cradle and football hold that was awesome! I wish I could show you, it made a lot of difference. It gives me the control to allow her head to tip back a bit so she opens much wider. And then I sort of scoop her on and catch the lips open. Sometimes I have had to flip the top one, but we're still practicing. I wouldn't have got it from just looking at diagrams online, let's put it that way. She was telling me to save lying down for when she's a little bigger and we're in better practice. I wonder if sitting up/changing positions more could help you? If you can stand it, obviously! Hope it gets better.
#107 of 119 Old 07-24-2006, 05:55 PM

helen, I'm SO GLAD the LC helped!!! that's great! I hope Harper gets the hang of it soon and your BF relationship smooths out.

#108 of 119 Old 07-25-2006, 06:14 PM

Ok, so all this talk about how good he's nursing and how we're not having any problems has come back to bite me in the butt!!!

I guess since I have over active letdown and when my milk lets down I think J.C is slipping off a bit to gulp as much as he can as fast as he can and I haven't been realizing that he's not latched on properly, cuz all of a sudden in the last few days my nipples are on fire!! They're red and hurt! and it hurts so bad when he nurses. I've looked at my nipples after I pull him off to find a more comfortable latch and my nipple either has a white line horizontally in the center or looks like a lipstick, a bit tilted....

Im really trying to watch how he's latching and trying to get him to open his mouth really wide then shoving his little mouth on my nipple trying to get as much as my areola in his mouth as I can. When I do that its much more comfortable, but since my nipples are already a bit sore, it still hurts! OUCH!
#109 of 119 Old 07-25-2006, 06:21 PM

I'mw ith you on the new nipple pain. I think the thrush has made it's way to me now.. yeeeouch. Not really burning, but more of a bruised sensation... as a matter of fact, my whole boob is sore on one side. Just brushing up against them hurts

#110 of 119 Old 07-25-2006, 06:27 PM

Ok, I've got a question...

Is anyone else having really super painful letdown?
With DS1 I was (unbeknownst to me) already losing my milk supply at this point and I never ended up producing a normal supply, it was always just barely enough.

This time around has been much different and I seem to have a solid supply so far. In fact, I have so much that every time my milk lets down I feel like someone has just stabbed me in the chest. I could almost cry most of the time when it happens. The pain is only during letdown, not constant and I don't have any symptoms of mastitis or any other problems. I don't stay engorged or anything... just during the 10 seconds or so of letdown I feel pretty horrible pain.
#111 of 119 Old 07-25-2006, 06:33 PM

My letdown is much more painful then with DS1. Extremely achey.
#112 of 119 Old 07-25-2006, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OwensMa
My letdown is much more painful then with DS1. Extremely achey.
: Me too - well, I dunno if it's painful, but it's uncomfortable, for sure, for about 30 seconds while I let down, then it's fine.

Korin - I'm glad pumping is going better!

Helen - Glad that the LC helped!

Kelly - Ouch. So sorry you're having problems...I hope you can get healed up quick.

I think our thrush is finally gone, and things are looking up for us. Whew!

#113 of 119 Old 07-26-2006, 10:41 AM

[Rant]

Has anyone else who's not pumping been having people telling you that you should start pumping? I'm frankly getting a little irritated with people telling me that for various reasons I "should" pump.

I work at home, DH and I are homebodies and always have been (meaning if we have "date night", it would be having a nice dinner we cooked, and renting a movie, so we're home anyway), and quite honestly, I'm too damn lazy for what it takes to pump...sterilizing bottles, washing the pump, warming the bottles, etc. etc.

If I was working out of the home I would obviously pump, or if DH and I went out a lot before kids and wanted to keep that going, I would want to pump. If DD was older and didn't need to nurse every 2-3 hours anyway, I might pump in between feedings. I get all that, all of those very valid reasons for nursing moms to pump and am 100% supportive of pumping as a fabulous way to give your baby breastmilk (my dearest friend IRL exclusively pumped for her daughter for just under a year, and I her for that!) BUT, I don't get why people who know me are insisting that I consider starting pumping? I pumped for about 2 weeks when DS was about 6 months old, and it was too much hassle and no real benefit, so I stopped. Don't they remember that? I understand my ped suggesting it, she doesn't know anything about me. But my family and friends? What gives?

Then I feel like a freak when I try to explain to them why I don't feel the need to pump right now. I'm starting to feel like not talking to anyone about breastfeeding. Maybe it's that people are projecting their feelings onto me, feeling that they need to get out, but I just don't feel that way - and it's fine with me if other people feel that way, honestly it is, I don't put any judgement on anyone, but I feel like people judge me and think I'm being a martyr or a weirdo for not going out without my children.

I mean, I understand that sometimes moms neglect themselves and sometimes marriages get strained because of a new baby, and that sucks, so I guess it's good that people look out more for new moms now and tell them to take breaks and date their husbands again, so I get that part of it, but these are people who know me IRL telling me this, and they should know that I don't neglect myself, and DH and I have never been ones to go out a lot. Apparently they seem to have forgotten we're a little "different" than the norm.

Oh well. I know they mean well and are just looking out for me, but I've had so many people mention it recently that I'm feeling a little defensive and irked.

OR.....maybe it is me, maybe I AM a weirdo. [/end rant]

#114 of 119 Old 07-26-2006, 02:15 PM

Yes. I've only had one person tell me I should pump. That was my dh's grandma. Bless her heart..I know she was just (in her eyes) trying to "help" my out with that idea. Like you..I'm at home and dh is a wahd. We also are quite the homebodies and even when we do go places...we go places that our dc can go too. But my dh's grandma said I should "get to pumping" so other people can feed him. Um, why does he need that when mommy is home all day with him? Dh really doesn't care about feeding him...cause naturally he knows it's impossible. I would pump if I "had" to for a specific reason but other than that, it's pointless to me. I read other stories about women who have countless problems breastfeeding and only WISH they could bf w/o any problems and I feel SOO blessed that I am able to provide bm naturally to my dc. : I've never had any problems (knock on wood! ) Of course the occasional sore nipples but who doesn't? Right?
#115 of 119 Old 07-26-2006, 02:51 PM

Speaking of sore nipples.... What is going on over here? I have sore bruisy feeling breasts, my nips are very sensitive and on one side,a couple of the bumps (I am too tired tot hink of the name) on the areola are incredibly sore. I don't fit into any pattern for mastitis, or a plugged duct, i dont' think. Any thoughts??? Thanks mamas!

#116 of 119 Old 07-26-2006, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Speaking of sore nipples.... What is going on over here? I have sore bruisy feeling breasts, my nips are very sensitive and on one side,a couple of the bumps (I am too tired tot hink of the name) on the areola are incredibly sore. I don't fit into any pattern for mastitis, or a plugged duct, i dont' think. Any thoughts??? Thanks mamas!
Could it be the exciting new pumping activity? I try not to pump longer than 5-10 minutes or it hurts.

I've got very similar feelings the past few days (the bruised thing made me think thrush in the breast, but Harper has no white patches in her mouth), but then I realized my stupid bras are all too tight. Doh.
#117 of 119 Old 07-26-2006, 03:45 PM

I havent' pumped since sunday morning when I got 3 oz. My bras can't be too tight cause I'm not wearing any. just tank tops. What else you got?

#118 of 119 Old 07-26-2006, 05:16 PM

Quote:
I vote plugged duct. Have you tried a hot shower or warm washcloth? If yr nipples are bright pink or red, then it might be thrush. But the bruisy thing says watch out for early signs of mastitis. I usually get a warning a few days before: sore boobs, warm spots or lumps... acidophilus, Emergen-C and lots of rest helps.

Mom to : DS1 (11), DS2 (8), DD3 (4), : DS4 (1), and : : :
#119 of 119 Old 07-27-2006, 08:48 PM

i am t hinking it must be the thrush..... i called my nd for nystatin. we shall see!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page