Grapefruit Seed Extract - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 07-08-2006, 05:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Question: Ds and I have thrush. I know that there are a few of us that have used this. How much should I take? I plan on buying it in liquid form. Also, how much do I give ds. I don't want to give him nystatin. Thanks.

B

mom to dd 8/03 ds 6/06 and numero tres, ds 11/11 stillheart.gif

#2 of 12 Old 07-08-2006, 05:09 PM

nak....

here is what dr. jay gordon recommends. (see link below) you have my sympathy. i had it with the first two babies for months and months. nystatin never worked for me. hope the gse helps!

http://www.drjaygordon.com/development/bf/thrush.asp
#3 of 12 Old 07-08-2006, 07:13 PM

I would also recommend getting some powdered probiotics (try to make sure that there is at least 5 billion organisms per serving). When I finally figured out that was what was bugging Elliot, I started giving him a serving of it (1/4 teaspoon - just kept putting it on my finger and letting him suck it) 3x a day, and it has almost wiped it out in only 2 days. I'm also taking massive amounts and I think I've almost completely gotten rid of the thrush itches too.

Me + dh = heartbeat.gif ds (7/01), ds (11/03), ds (6/06)
and dd born 11/21/10 - our T21 SuperBaby ribbluyel.gif heartbeat.gif
#4 of 12 Old 07-08-2006, 09:43 PM

I have been using gentian violet and probiotics (both of us have been taking them since coming home from the hospital).. but I think i'm going to get some grapefruit seed extract tomorrow. She has spots inside her cheeks that just won't go away!

Mamato Ruby Violet joy.gif(6 with autism) and someone 1sttri.gif who should make him/herself known sometime in the next month.

#5 of 12 Old 07-09-2006, 02:38 PM

starting the gfseed ext today. We have had both types of rx and no luck w either.

I will lyk how it goes...tb continued

"The true joy of life is the trip. The station is only a dream. It constantly out distances us."
#6 of 12 Old 07-11-2006, 09:10 PM

used for 3 days-the thrush is almost gone

"The true joy of life is the trip. The station is only a dream. It constantly out distances us."
#7 of 12 Old 07-12-2006, 12:20 AM

I used it for a couple of days.. and I thnk the thrush is finally gone! I'm going to use it a day or two more just to be sure

Mamato Ruby Violet joy.gif(6 with autism) and someone 1sttri.gif who should make him/herself known sometime in the next month.

#8 of 12 Old 07-12-2006, 04:07 PM

how often a day did you ladies do the gse? I'm doing 10 drops in water 3x a day and then Bio K for the babe... sound about right?
#9 of 12 Old 07-12-2006, 04:41 PM - Thread Starter

I use 10 drops in water only once, plus in DS's mouth about 4 times. I'm also using APNO.

mom to dd 8/03 ds 6/06 and numero tres, ds 11/11 stillheart.gif

#10 of 12 Old 07-12-2006, 05:34 PM

one thing i read was to do it every hour when they are awake. I think I did it several times a dayfor a couple of days. WIth gentian violet, and baby acidophilious.

#11 of 12 Old 07-12-2006, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogmorest
how often a day did you ladies do the gse? I'm doing 10 drops in water 3x a day and then Bio K for the babe... sound about right?
Thats about what I did. I also took and I am taking tablets of it. I am also washing out laundry w it and having dh take it as well. When we were at Maggie's aftercare appt yesterday the Dr said it was pretty cleared up but keep doing what I was doing for the remainder of the week.

#12 of 12 Old 07-12-2006, 10:40 PM

Thank y'all so much for this thread! I think we're deveoping thrush - I posted on the breastfeeding challenges board, then did some googling, and then saw this thread, and I'm pretty sure it's thrush and not mastitis. I have an itchy, very sore sensation all over in my breast tissue, my areolas are a little "glossy", and I'm NOT feverish or having any heat or hardness in my breasts (mastitis signs)...

So, off to the health food store DH goes tomorrow to get me some GSE liquid and pills! I don't see any thrush on me or in her mouth, so I'm gonna take the pills to see if it might be an internal type of thing.

If things don't get better in a couple days, or if I get feverish or hard spots, etc., then I'll go towards mastitis and deal with that.

But anyway, thanks for this thread! I didn't see it originally, for some reason, even in my own DDC :

Heather, WAHM to DS (01/04)DD (06/06). Wed to DH(09/97)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page