Week 7/9 ~ Life w/ Babe - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 70 Old 07-09-2006, 03:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
NAK

Elijah is 16 days old today. He's getting sooo strong. He picks his head up alot and actually gives us smiles. And not those half-sleep type smiles either. He focuses so well and I can tell he is starting to see alot more. I just can't believe he has only been Earthside for 16 days. He's been sleeping through the night but last night he was up @ 2, 5, and then at 8 to eat. Nursing is going great. Sometimes my milk comes out too fast for him but once he gets a little bigger he'll be chugging it all down for sure. I can't wait to get a sling!! I'll probably have one in a couple wks. So I'll finally be able to wear my boy! And I'll be posting pics ASAP!

So how's it going w/ all those June Babes out there?!!
#2 of 70 Old 07-09-2006, 07:27 PM

It's going well here... a little crazy with two little ones... I feel bad sometimes that I had another baby so soon. I think my 22 month old is still pretty needy and he's been acting out in subtle ways. We weren't trying to get pg with Anna (actually we were trying to avoid...) but of course we're happy she's here and she is perfect in our family. It's an adjustment, though.

She nurses very well, and she's much more mellow than my DS was. He cried a lot at night, and never slept more than 2 hour stretches for a long time. She's already slept a lot more than that! I wear her in the Nojo sling while at home and in my Moby when we're out. I love the Moby for nursing.

Ecomama -- Where are you heading in the North?

Mama to 3 kids. We live in a yurt!
#3 of 70 Old 07-09-2006, 10:03 PM - Thread Starter

I guess technically I'm heading northeast. We're going back to Michigan. We only moved to Cali for 6 months and right now we're visiting family in New Mexico. We'll be leaving in a week or so...
#4 of 70 Old 07-09-2006, 11:14 PM

Oh, that's right. I remember you posted about that before. I was thinking maybe you were heading Northwest!

Mama to 3 kids. We live in a yurt!
#5 of 70 Old 07-09-2006, 11:53 PM

Phoenix is 5 weeks now and about 12 lbs! He was 7 lbs at his lowest so we're going on 5lb gain in 5 weeks! lol

He sleeps in two hour chunks most of the day with a couple or three alert periods of 2-3 hours each. Most of the times he just nurses and sleeps during the night but for the past week he's chosen to have his alert times AT night. I'm tired.

We're battling thrush and winning so far. He's a dear sweet little man who loves to snuggle and cuddle. He loves his KK fleece pouch and baths with mommy. I'm so in love.
#6 of 70 Old 07-10-2006, 01:52 PM

Ellie is 3wks 2d. She is so awesomely awesome She's a really easy baby so far, very calm and she sleeps well. We had a nursing marathon on Friday/Saturday which was stressful and exhausting for me, but it passed and she was out cold most of Sunday!

She's already chubbing up so well, and my only concern is that it is hard to keep the folds of her skin dry, so she's a little chapped and might even have some yeasty beasties in there. I've been on probiotics since she was born just in case. I had thrush something AWFUL with both boys.

The boys were with their cousins all weekend, now they are home and, man, are they a handful. Think I'll start a different thread for that. Still, I am glad that they are so in love with her, they just want to play with her a little too much and it is overwhelming for her and me, too.

We're finally out and about even tho my back is STILL sore. I've started doing yoga and walking this week. I've already lost a lot of weight, but I can't wait to get back to my pp size (even though I know that will take about a year!).

How are all the mamas?? I remember that I thought the first 6wks of my first's life were the hardest ever, so if there are some of you out there having a tough time, IT DOES GET BETTER! I promise. This time, its better because I just expect it to be tough

Mom to : DS1 (11), DS2 (8), DD3 (4), : DS4 (1), and : : :
#7 of 70 Old 07-10-2006, 02:29 PM

Dh went back to work today.
I'm having some anxiety. I feel bad I can't be there for Juels in the way I want to. Benny still nurses nonstop and its still so painful I can only bear it if I lay down, so I'm pretty much bed ridden. Poor Juels. She was so good through those weeks of bedrest and now I'm stuck in bed again!
I do feel so fortunate I got 16 days of dh home though... when Juels was born my ex went back to work on day 3, the day my milk came in. That was aweful. Dh has been so amazing!

Holly, eternally in love partners.gif with Kolby, Raising Juelie Anise (10y), Behnjamin Shen (6y), and Coen Syaoran (4y). Expecting June 2013 2ndtri.gif

#8 of 70 Old 07-10-2006, 03:33 PM

We're doing so much better once we started treating the thrush. Elliot is back to his smiling self (though he'll still go from 0-60 in a heartbeat when he wants Mama and she's not there! ). He'll be 4 weeks on Wednesday; I can't believe it. I think he's up to about 12 lbs. (he was 9,6 at birth). He also is my only child that I can lay on his tummy while he's still half-awake, pat his back, and get him to sleep like that. (And yes, we are tummy sleepers around here. Maybe it's the magnesium I'm taking. Now that he's feeling better (the thrush made him so darn gassy and fussy), he's back to sleeping about 4 hours at a stretch at night ... falling asleep usually around 8:30 to 9:30 for "bedtime", waking around 12:30 to 1am, and then around 4:30 or so. Most mornings, though, he's an early bird and is up from about 6:30am until about 9am when he starts sleeping again. Considering everyone else in the house is a night-owl, that's been a bit of an adjustment! But, this morning, dh got up with him, and I slept in, which was beautiful.

Dh goes back to teaching nights tonight. Fortunately, he has his days off until the school year begins, but I have 20 evenings of him being gone from about 6pm until about 10pm and am dreading a little bit the possible evening "melt-downs" with my two older ones. But my mom has already told me to pack up the three boys and come spend the evenings with her ... they are more distracted over there and I love the company.

Me + dh = heartbeat.gif ds (7/01), ds (11/03), ds (6/06)
and dd born 11/21/10 - our T21 SuperBaby ribbluyel.gif heartbeat.gif
#9 of 70 Old 07-10-2006, 03:42 PM

Mikey is 1 month today He's swinging right now. I've had this swing since dd1 and no one liked it and I always wondered why I kept it around...well, he LOVES it. He is so content in it I almost feel guilty using it...you know like as an AP parent I'm supposed to be against "devices" yk? But as I've been holding him or had him at my side since last night, I guess there's nothing to feel guilty about - he's getting his nine-in/nine-out - but I'm just shocked he's so content in the swing - it's been at least 15-20 minutes!

He's just past 11 pounds now...he was 9lb even at birth so 2 pounds in a month, that's not too shabby...

Not much else to report...lots of smiles around here

WOHM married to SAHD, living the dream w/our: 3 girls (14,12,10) and 3 boys (7,5,3) and tie-breaker due Jan 2014

#10 of 70 Old 07-10-2006, 04:28 PM

Almost 2 weeks old here, and I am TIRED! My DS is really high energy, and I'm spending all the time I can with him to keep him happy and entertained while DD is sleeping durign the day, so that when she's awake and I have to tend ot her he's more understanding and "filled up". So, I'm crashing at 7:30pm with DD and getting 2- to 3-hour blocks throughout the night...but overall, things are going pretty well. I've had some instances where I've had to be a little more firm with DS than I normally would be, but it's been because I'm nursing and can't get to him right away....I knew that would happen, but it's still a little sad to me. The tiredness is also testing my patience, but overall DS still dotes on his sister, is obsessed with changing her diaper with me , and loves giving her kisses and holding her. It's hard going from 1 to 2, but not as hard as I thought it would be, so far (knock on wood!) I know it will continue to be challenging for new reasons, but so far, so good.........

Heather, WAHM to DS (01/04)DD (06/06). Wed to DH(09/97)
#11 of 70 Old 07-10-2006, 05:38 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Ryker will be 6wks tomorrow. Still going good other than Alex trying to kiss him all the time and trying to wake him up when he's asleep.

Ryker has been spitting up alot though Like last night he somehow ended up with milk starting to come out of his nose. Today he's been spitting up a bunch sometimes before i get a chance to burp him or it will be a little bit after he's burped he will just spit up.
I don't ever remember Alex spiting up as much as he does.

Kami(31)DH(35)Alex(11),(4/05) (7/05),Ryker(8)(11/10) 
Harlan (11/4/2011)http://www.desertreadingloft.com--Independent Usborne Books Consultant
#12 of 70 Old 07-10-2006, 05:43 PM

yeah, i can count on one hand the n umber of times dd spit up all through babyhood... far less than ds does in one day!

Holly, eternally in love partners.gif with Kolby, Raising Juelie Anise (10y), Behnjamin Shen (6y), and Coen Syaoran (4y). Expecting June 2013 2ndtri.gif

#13 of 70 Old 07-10-2006, 06:44 PM

nak

we're at the 1 wk mark here!! i can'y believe its been a week already! he's sleeping really well, around 2-4 hr stretches at night. so he's waking only about 3 times, which is manageable he's nursing like a champ!! no problems here, eventhough i expected some when my milk came in cus i have overactive letdown and could literally spray you across the room!! but he's been great about chugging it down!!

the girls are doing great with him, but a little over exuberant at times. the kisses are a little too much, the hugs a little too tight, and overall just a bit too much in his face!! i feel bad telling them to back off just a bit, cuz they always look so hurt, but we're all still trying to find our niche.
#14 of 70 Old 07-10-2006, 10:15 PM

Gabriel will be six weeks on Wed. and today at my MW check-up he was 12 lbs. 2 oz.!!:
#15 of 70 Old 07-11-2006, 01:14 AM

Ruby will be 3 weeks tomorrow.. and hads entered the colicky phase. oh.. back to work for me

Mamato Ruby Violet joy.gif(6 with autism) and someone 1sttri.gif who should make him/herself known sometime in the next month.

#16 of 70 Old 07-11-2006, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiromama
Ruby will be 3 weeks tomorrow.. and hads entered the colicky phase. oh.. back to work for me
Isn't that terrible how they can "trick" you by being so mellow those first two weeks?!?!? Mikey was sleeping 6 hour stretches at night up to 2 weeks and then the nursing every hour or two at most began...sigh. Good thing they are cute!!

The other thing he does all night is grunt. My dd3 sleeps with me and Mikey and even though she can sleep through dh's snoring, she gets irritated in her sleep with that grunting. It's all night and so annoying...ahh well, like I said. Good thing he's cute!

WOHM married to SAHD, living the dream w/our: 3 girls (14,12,10) and 3 boys (7,5,3) and tie-breaker due Jan 2014

#17 of 70 Old 07-11-2006, 08:22 PM - Thread Starter

Since yesterday it seems like Elijah will only sleep if I'm holding him or laying next to him. Anyone else experiencing this? It's ok but it's been sooo hot here and we're both just totally sticking together. Ugh.

BTW, we got our house! We're leaving NM on Monday to head back to MI. I'm so excited but I wish the drive was shorter! :
#18 of 70 Old 07-11-2006, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EcoMama7

BTW, we got our house! We're leaving NM on Monday to head back to MI. I'm so excited but I wish the drive was shorter! :

Which house...wasn't there two possibilites?

~C~
#19 of 70 Old 07-12-2006, 12:28 AM

congrats on the house!!

Mamato Ruby Violet joy.gif(6 with autism) and someone 1sttri.gif who should make him/herself known sometime in the next month.

#20 of 70 Old 07-12-2006, 01:43 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Congrats on the house

Kami(31)DH(35)Alex(11),(4/05) (7/05),Ryker(8)(11/10) 
Harlan (11/4/2011)http://www.desertreadingloft.com--Independent Usborne Books Consultant
#21 of 70 Old 07-12-2006, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Since yesterday it seems like Elijah will only sleep if I'm holding him or laying next to him. Anyone else experiencing this? It's ok but it's been sooo hot here and we're both just totally sticking together. Ugh.

Where are you ending up? Jackson area - is that right? LMK if you ever want to try to get together. I have 2 friends in Jackson. And to Michigan!

#22 of 70 Old 07-12-2006, 09:48 AM

We're here, we're here. Really. Feels like forever since I've posted. Sebastian is 3w2d old and HUGE! When he was weighed almost 2 weeks ago, he was at 10lbs14oz, and gaining 1.5-2oz a day. By the way he's fitting -- or not fitting -- his clothes, I'm guessing he's continuing the trend and is heading toward 12lbs. We'll find out at his checkup next week. (No scales in this house!)

Tandem nursing is going pretty well. Some days (ok, most days) I feel like that's all I do, between Sebastian's 3wk growth spurt and Qualia's adjusting to sharing milk, but I know it's a temporary state of affairs and it'd be much worse if I'd weaned Qualia and she was feeling resentment over it. And after our hospital adventures, I'm really glad I'm making antibodies for whatever Qualia picks up and can pass them on to Sebastian!

I put some pictures up on my livejournal (ynfytyn), but they're friends-only. I'm still figuring out how to post them here, but if you want me to "friend" you on my lj so you can see them, I'd be happy to.
#23 of 70 Old 07-12-2006, 11:30 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caroline248
Which house...wasn't there two possibilites?

~C~
Ya, sort of. But this was the only one we applied for and I've been waiting since last wk to find out if we were approved or not and this morning found out that we are. It's just south of Kalamazoo..perfect house for us. Some main things we were looking for were c/a, washer/dryer, and dishwasher. (although i can live w/o one..I got spoiled w/ one while living in CALI ) This house has everything we were looking for plus all new hardwoods, garage, full basement, fireplace, nice big yard....I just love it. It's perfect!

Thanks Mamas

mcimom ~ Too bad I'm not going back to be Jackson area....I'd already have a mama to get together with!
#24 of 70 Old 07-12-2006, 12:11 PM

Harper is 3w 5d. She's got baby acne like whoa... poor kid. It's all over her face and scalp and neck. I am a little worried that it's something worse since I found conflicting info on whether it should be on the scalp or not, but it doesn't seem to bother her. I had terrible pregnancy acne that cleared up right after delivery, so I'm wondering if she got some huge hormone load from me? She's also congested yet I don't see any boogers when I look up her nose. She snuffles a lot. My big fear is that this is all because of a dairy sensitivity or something. I can barely feed myself as it is, let alone tackle an elimination diet.

Tomorrow we have a consult with a ped ENT, and I am hoping we will get a resolution to the tongue-tie issue. I would love to ditch the nipple shield.

Other than that, things are ok. She's loving napping in the sling now, but what stinks is that she will wake up after I slip it off.
#25 of 70 Old 07-12-2006, 01:55 PM

Hi mommitola..
I found this board kinda late. I was due june the 20th and Maggie was born the 21st. She also has the tounge tie issue. She seems to be nursing alright now and we haven't had to use a shield yet. I think my boobs must be like steel by now from nursing my 3 year old also. I was worried at first though that I would have to have Maggie's tounge tie clipped. I would like to hear what your dr says though.
#26 of 70 Old 07-12-2006, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Since yesterday it seems like Elijah will only sleep if I'm holding him or laying next to him. Anyone else experiencing this?
Me! Talula spends a lot of time in her sling. When I think she's fallen asleep and I can put her down, she wakes up and cries until she's back where she wants to be. Then she passes out again.
#27 of 70 Old 07-12-2006, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beccalriley
Hi mommitola..
I found this board kinda late. I was due june the 20th and Maggie was born the 21st. She also has the tounge tie issue. She seems to be nursing alright now and we haven't had to use a shield yet. I think my boobs must be like steel by now from nursing my 3 year old also. I was worried at first though that I would have to have Maggie's tounge tie clipped. I would like to hear what your dr says though.
Congrats on your daughter! They don't like to do it if the baby is gaining well, basically. My daughter is, but she wrecked my nipples the first week. They get compressed and end up looking like a tube of lipstick, with a crack at the "seam" that she creates from the abnormal pressure in the mouth. That's why we're using the shield, so I could heal. I am healed now, but still have discomfort, and she won't latch without the shield...whoopee. None of the local peds will clip a tongue-tie, they said there is too much risk to speech if it's not done by an expert, so we're going to children's hospital in Boston. It's been a production to even get that referral, as if maternal discomfort somehow isn't a threat to a breastfeeding relationship. This ENT still may not do it, he is going to evaluate. I may strangle him if he doesn't do it, however.
#28 of 70 Old 07-12-2006, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Congrats!!!!

#29 of 70 Old 07-12-2006, 09:34 PM - Thread Starter

: THANKS!

Elijah is 2 wks 5 days. Today was his 2nd outing...not counting the trip from CALI. We went out for chinese and then stopped by the market for some fruit. He did great...such a good baby boy. I nursed him while we ate and held him in the store..I totally can't wait to get my wrap/sling..it will make life sooooo much easier! I totally believe that carseats are mean't for cars...not shopping carts!
#30 of 70 Old 07-12-2006, 10:12 PM

DD, DS, and I went on our first solo outing today, to do a little grocery trip...and aside from pouring rain, it went GREAT. I thought out my car and store entry and exit strategies ahead of time , and had DD in the sling the whole trip while DS was sitting in the cart, which he LOVES. DD was awake for about the first 5 minutes, and then snoozed the rest of the trip. Once again we caused a sensation with DD in the sling, it's just not a common thing around here and people were just loving it, and her, and then DS cause he would start talking about how he was the big brother, etc. etc. All 4 women behind the deli counter came out to see DD snoozing in the sling and just gushed over it and her...and gave DS a free slice of cheese, so he was happy.

So, all in all, a great time was had by all, and I'd totally do it again (which is a good thing considering I don't really have a choice, huh? )

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page