Week 7/17 ~ Life w/ Babe - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 59 Old 07-23-2006, 11:37 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Candice -- I would wonder about mastitis as well. Do you have any sore breast spots? Of course, the best thing to do is nurse nurse nurse! Oh, and I still have a touch of bleeding here and there. Not much at all, and I told my midwife and she said the second time around you bleed longer... not sure why. She said as long as it is within that 6wk. marker there is no concern.

Mama to 3 kids. We live in a yurt!
#32 of 59 Old 07-24-2006, 12:14 AM

Yeah, so I think I have mastitis, but it seems to be getting better on its own. After reading the responses above, I looked at the askdrsears.com website and it looks like I was doing everything that I should have been doing to make is go away: rest, drink water, nurse, try to eat well. I don't have a fever anymore. I did have a painful breast area, but the pain seems to be getting better.

Is it weird that getting sick makes me feel like a failure? Like I can't handle the responsibility of taking care of a baby, the rest of my family, and myself.

In other news, I stupidly threw both slings in the wash at the same time, so I have been wearing Talula in a sarong all day. I just tied it at my shoulder. I think it's the most comfortable thing ever. I like it because it covers my whole shoulder, so it doesn't dig in anywhere.
#33 of 59 Old 07-24-2006, 01:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by papayapetunia
Anyway, I still have some bleeding. It's very light and not even every day. Does anyone know if I should be concerned? I guess I'm supposed to go see the doctor at six weeks pp, but should I call her sooner? I can't remember how long I bled after Tania.
Judah was born 2 days after Talulah and I'm still bleeding every day... Not an enormous amount, but like the last couple days of my period. I'm SO sick of it though. I wish it would stop. With DS1 I think I bled the full six weeks (stopped the day before my 6w checkup IIRC) and then it came back again for a few days at around 8 weeks. :
#34 of 59 Old 07-24-2006, 02:20 AM

Behn was born on the 23rd and I'm still bleeding too. I only really "bled" for about the first week, and I've just been spotting ever since. I only bled for 3 weeks with dd... I didn't know bleeding lasts longer the second time, good to know, I was starting to worry as well!

Holly, eternally in love partners.gif with Kolby, Raising Juelie Anise (10y), Behnjamin Shen (6y), and Coen Syaoran (4y). Expecting June 2013 2ndtri.gif

#35 of 59 Old 07-24-2006, 09:56 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by grace's voice
Behn was born on the 23rd and I'm still bleeding too. I only really "bled" for about the first week, and I've just been spotting ever since.
That's pretty much the exact same for me. And Elijah was also born the 23rd
I wish it would stop all together though. It's so annoying to STILL have to wear a darn pad. Ugh.
#36 of 59 Old 07-24-2006, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by papayapetunia
Is it weird that getting sick makes me feel like a failure? Like I can't handle the responsibility of taking care of a baby, the rest of my family, and myself.
If that makes you weird, I'm weird too! When I had anemia really badly (down to 7.8) I couldn't really do anything but sit and nurse Mikey. I *hated* it. DH had to do everything around the house and take care of the older 3 kids. I felt awful. Guilt on top of illness. Of course I would have told anyone else something along the lines of "this is God's way of forcing you to rest and relax as you deserve" but haha - easier said than done when it's you feeling useless, yk?

mama! Hope you feel better soon...

WOHM married to SAHD, living the dream w/our: 3 girls (14,12,10) and 3 boys (7,5,3) and tie-breaker due Jan 2014

#37 of 59 Old 07-25-2006, 06:17 PM

Thank you mcimom.

We took Talula for her 1 month dr. visit and she's 11 lbs., 13 oz. I couldn't believe it! She's gained 4 lbs., 3 oz. since birth. That's more than double her original body weight. That breast milk, I tell you...it's some incredible potion.
#38 of 59 Old 07-26-2006, 05:03 PM

nak

hello, all! i love reading about yr babes. i dont get to the comp much these days. hands full! can't wait til school starts again in august so the older ones will be out of my hair and less bored with me, lol.

ellie will be 6w on saturday! we're supposed to move that day too. friday is #1's bday and we're having a sleepover with 3 of his friends. no rest for the weary :

ellie's doing great. no more colicky evening fussies, tho she decided to hate the car this week after loving it for a month. so frustrating driving around with a screaming babe. esp. when #2 is yelling, "hush, baby!" and singing twinkle, twinkle at the top of his lungs in an attempt to calm her.

she seems to have a wee bit of thrush, so i think we'll try the grapefruit seed extract like everyone mentioned. i've been on probiotics since day 1. no mastitis so far, knock on wood.

tmi warning: i've stopped bleeding, but i stink down there! should i try douching? i don't have a well woman check up until aug 22.

Mom to : DS1 (11), DS2 (8), DD3 (4), : DS4 (1), and : : :
#39 of 59 Old 07-26-2006, 07:37 PM

oy - we got the thrush too - i'm doing just yogurt in the mouth and that and ACV on the boobs for now as i only notice it in his mouth - no pain or symptoms on me so far and he doesn't seem too bothered - i gotta admit though, i'm half tempted to try the GV b/c i've been on ruby's blog - korin, she is too cute w/that purple mug!! i am ruby-smitten i tell ya...after 3 girls prior to mikey, i guess she's giving me that adorable baby girl fix since it's all greens and blues and puppy dogs here

cymbeline - don't know what to tell you, i noticed some "off" scent on myself for a bit after the bleeding, but it went away b4 i thought to do anything about it...sorry

WOHM married to SAHD, living the dream w/our: 3 girls (14,12,10) and 3 boys (7,5,3) and tie-breaker due Jan 2014

#40 of 59 Old 07-26-2006, 07:45 PM

oh and I wouldn't douche unless it was with yogurt or the apple cider vinegar or something 'au naturale' like that

#41 of 59 Old 07-26-2006, 09:58 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

NAK

Ryker is almost 2months old, i still haven't made a appt for his 2 month checkup yet. Last time i weighed him a few days back he was roughly 13lbs already. He looks heavier than that though.

I updated the link in his name to a newer pic of him

Kami(31)DH(35)Alex(11),(4/05) (7/05),Ryker(8)(11/10) 
Harlan (11/4/2011)http://www.desertreadingloft.com--Independent Usborne Books Consultant
#42 of 59 Old 07-26-2006, 11:21 PM

OK, I'm gonna : after I post this, but to mamas out there who are battling thrush unsuccessfully, just think about giving Nystatin a try. We were using GSE drops and I was taking it in pill form, and I was taking probiotics, and though it helped, it just wasn't knocking it out entirely, and it was starting to affect her diaper area.

Then, 2 days on Nystatin solution (4x a day by mouth for her, 3x a day on boobs for me) and it was gone. Been gone for a week now.

Just a thought.......:

Heather, WAHM to DS (01/04)DD (06/06). Wed to DH(09/97)
#43 of 59 Old 07-27-2006, 01:34 AM

nak
ha!! i called my nd yesterday to ask for it!

Mamato Ruby Violet joy.gif(6 with autism) and someone 1sttri.gif who should make him/herself known sometime in the next month.

#44 of 59 Old 07-27-2006, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiromama
nak
ha!! i called my nd yesterday to ask for it!
Hope it works as well for you two as it did for us!

#45 of 59 Old 07-27-2006, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The4OfUs
OK, I'm gonna : after I post this, but to mamas out there who are battling thrush unsuccessfully, just think about giving Nystatin a try. We were using GSE drops and I was taking it in pill form, and I was taking probiotics, and though it helped, it just wasn't knocking it out entirely, and it was starting to affect her diaper area.

Then, 2 days on Nystatin solution (4x a day by mouth for her, 3x a day on boobs for me) and it was gone. Been gone for a week now.

Just a thought.......:

We are using it too. I just can't deal with two kids with it and me and try to figure out all the different "natural" cures. So it is quick and easy for me!! Plus, it worked almost right away....

~C~
#46 of 59 Old 07-27-2006, 07:05 PM

we've got thrush over here as well...today is our first day on nystatin for him and nipple cream for me and probiotics for both of us and gen. violet once a day at bedtime....This is the worst pain I've ever experienced nursing. I didn't get this w/ either of my dd's, so its all new to me. I went and saw my lac. consultant cuz the pain was so bad and I thought all of a sudden we were having latch problems...thankfully its something that will get better, I'll I can say is OUCH!!!!!
#47 of 59 Old 07-27-2006, 07:32 PM

Well...all of a sudden I feel a lot better about suggesting Nystatin!

DD turns 1 month tomorrow, and I can't believe it's flown by so quickly. :

We're going to my parents' house this weekend, so I'm not sure if I'll be checking in or not, but hope everyone has a good weekend .

#48 of 59 Old 07-27-2006, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommy2girlies
This is the worst pain I've ever experienced nursing. I didn't get this w/ either of my dd's, so its all new to me.

<snip> I can say is OUCH!!!!!
: quite the shocker when your other nursing experiences have been positive, huh? My nursing DS was blissfully uneventful, and then DD has trown me for a loop since day 1 with various minor problems. I couldn't believe how painful the thrush was either...and am SO glad that it's gone now. We seem to finally be into a groove nursing.

#49 of 59 Old 07-27-2006, 10:30 PM - Thread Starter

what exactly is thrush??

With all the talk about it..I feel like I should at least know what it is. :
#50 of 59 Old 07-27-2006, 10:39 PM

Not stupid at all. I wish I didn't know what it is!!
Thrush is just a yeast infection that's it! It sucks ass, but it's just yeast!

Mamato Ruby Violet joy.gif(6 with autism) and someone 1sttri.gif who should make him/herself known sometime in the next month.

#51 of 59 Old 07-27-2006, 11:52 PM - Thread Starter

ahhh, so that's what all the yogurt/probiotic talk is about. teehee. :
#52 of 59 Old 07-28-2006, 04:58 PM

Stupid question....I don't have anything to put on me...I took Diflucan. It seems to have helped, but I would like to make sure. Are you all putting yogurt on your breasts??

What a funny visual...a roomful of woman smearing yogurt on their nipples.....
#53 of 59 Old 07-28-2006, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caroline248
Stupid question....I don't have anything to put on me...I took Diflucan. It seems to have helped, but I would like to make sure. Are you all putting yogurt on your breasts??

What a funny visual...a roomful of woman smearing yogurt on their nipples.....
so far yogurt (and ACV) on my boobs and yogurt in his mouth is all i've done. i have no pain and he appears to have none as well, my only indication of thrush was white all over the inside of his mouth.

it *is* quite a visual as my dh can atest to - LOL and quite the aroma w/the ACV

#54 of 59 Old 07-28-2006, 08:18 PM

I only seemed to have had breast issues with the thrush for a day and just rinsed my nipple really well with ACV. I had some vaginal itching too and did the same thing. But, for me (and him) I've been fighting the yeast internally - I use raw milk (contains probiotics), kefir, and powdered probiotics in my smoothies every day, and give Elliot powdered probiotics a couple times a day. For his rash, OTC anti-fungal/yeast infection cream works the best.

Me + dh = heartbeat.gif ds (7/01), ds (11/03), ds (6/06)
and dd born 11/21/10 - our T21 SuperBaby ribbluyel.gif heartbeat.gif
#55 of 59 Old 07-28-2006, 10:18 PM

Well I just picked up the topical nystatin. I really hope it helps, as I'm sick of having purple boobs, purple clothes, purple... everything and oh yeah, my boobs hurt... and that's not fun! Our thrush has been really really mild, but it just won't go away! And I'd really like something sweet and delicious!

#56 of 59 Old 07-29-2006, 12:24 PM

I've heard mama's putting nystatin on themselves too. My lac. consult. gave me a nipple cream recipe to use on myself and the nystatin for him. we also are using the gen. violet. and probiotics....I wonder if the nystatin would work better than the cream. the recipe is equal parts bactoban (an prescription antiobiotic), lotrimin af 1%, and hydrocortizone 1%. My nipples feel better after I put it on and I put on after each feeding. I don't have to wipe it off if its been atleast an hour since he's last fed....I never thought of putting yougurt on my breasts...This hurts so bad that I was willing to bring out the big guns right away!!!!
#57 of 59 Old 07-29-2006, 04:20 PM

We just can't get rid of ours ... I'm fine afaik, but poor Elliot ... it's really his diaper rash that is horrible. Just when we think we have it almost healed, we forget to give him probiotics and the thing flares right up again. If this dang humidity would go away, we might have half a chance of getting rid of it completely, but I tell you ... it's so humid here that the creases in his little groin area are continuously moist. We have a prescription triple cream that contains Nystatin, but I almost think the OTC anti-fungal stuff works better. So, I'm off to buy more as well as some plain yogurt. I think the plain yogurt might be really soothing for him and we'll just pad the floor really well and let him go naked for a while. Poor guy though cries when he wets or poopies because it hurts his rash. We go coverless and change immediately but for him it's not soon enough. I just want to get rid of it and have him feel good again.

Me + dh = heartbeat.gif ds (7/01), ds (11/03), ds (6/06)
and dd born 11/21/10 - our T21 SuperBaby ribbluyel.gif heartbeat.gif
#58 of 59 Old 07-29-2006, 04:59 PM

poor Eliott! Fortunately Ruby only had thrush in her mouth.. no diaper rash. : I hope it all helps!

#59 of 59 Old 07-29-2006, 06:09 PM

Poor Elliot!! J.C's rash on his bum isn't really bad. Just a little red. And its sooo humid here too. Thankfully it hasn't got really bad, and I hope to keep it that way. I've been putting the lotrimin on it. Does anybody recommend anything better? My nipples are feeling a little better. Atleast I don't feel like Im gonna pass out when he latches now. Its just really painful rather than totally excruciating. I hope all of us get rid of this yuck soon!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page