Looking for classic videos/DVDs in Dutch? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 12-20-2009, 10:50 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm in the USA, but interested in using classic DVD's to use in learning Dutch. Two titles we are interested in are: The Sound of Music and Babe(about the talking pig). Does anyone know a reliable online source for obtaining these or any other American movies that are dubbed in Dutch?

TIA!
#2 of 7 Old 12-21-2009, 03:44 PM

I don't imagine you'll find many American movies that have been dubbed in Dutch--almost everything I ever saw in English had subtitles instead. Their English is perfect, and I always wondered if it had to do with the lack of dubbing.

I'm not sure why they don't dub (Germans dub EVERYTHING and it's a major industry there), but I always imagined it had to do with the cost.

My DH listened to books on tape in Dutch to start to pick up the language. He used American stories he knew very well, so that he could start to learn words based on some context. I don't know if Audible.com has ebooks in other languages but might be worth a try.
#3 of 7 Old 12-21-2009, 11:20 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks rzberrymom,
I'll check out audible.com. I did manage to find Miracle on 34th street in Dutch at Amazon!
Do you know a source for American movies with Dutch subtitles? It is so hard to find materials in Dutch...makes me wonder if the language will die out. :-(

Thanks,
Joy
#4 of 7 Old 12-23-2009, 05:42 PM

I forgot about this place. It's kind of like the Barnes and Noble of the Netherlands--maybe you could email them and find out if they would ship audio books to the U.S. (looking at their website, it looks to me like they do ship outside the Netherlands, but my Dutch is rusty)

I'm not sure about where to get videos online though--maybe ask someone on this site if they'd be willing to mail to you? (I would but I'm back in the U.S. now)
#5 of 7 Old 12-24-2009, 07:12 PM

Like rzberrymom said, you're not really going to find much at all dubbed into Dutch. They use subtitles. Never fear, the language isn't dying out. They just prefer to leave the movie or TV program in its original state and read the subtitles, which I personally find vastly preferable to dubbing. I hate it when I travel to a dubbing country. In Poland and the Baltic countries they generally use one person to dub every voice in the movie. It's horrible.

If you need some recommendations for simple, easy to understand movies, like maybe romantic comedies or something from which to learn, I can give you some ideas. Another thought is to go for kids' movies. Anything animated is generally dubbed since it doesn't detract from the experience and because kids don't yet speak English. All the Disney films are available in Dutch, for example.

Sarah, mother to Eloïse (5/2005), Lucas (3/2008) and Ilias (7/2011), and due with #4 (March 1, 2014)

#6 of 7 Old 01-16-2010, 04:42 AM

I'd like to add my two cents here, if I may
Don't give up the quest yet, Joywith5:
in the Netherlands almost all childrens movies are dubbed in Dutch. I'll do some research as to how and where to order from, and get back to you later
EDIT:
It proves quite hard to find resources for Dutch spoken movies that ship overseas!
I found some at http://dvd.shop.ebay.nl/Kinder-en-fa...=p3286.c0.m282 but you need to read discriptions of the items very carefully, sometimes it states : Nederlands gesproken, which is what you're looking for, and sometimes it says: Nederlands ondertiteld which is subtitles in Dutch.
Another option would be downloading movies, but I'm not familiar with that route myself.
Films I would recommend are Sesamstraat, Barbapapa or F.I. Older stuff like Mary Poppins. HTH

Mom to two girls, wife to DH : : : : : :
#7 of 7 Old 08-10-2010, 04:30 PM

Not sure if I'm too late, but I have a bunch of Dutch (spoken) kid movies. Many are English and Dutch, with subtitles in either language, so you can 'double up'. They tend to be zone 2 though, so check if your DVD player supports that.

You can have them for shipping cost - PM me for more info

Also, look for original Dutch movies like Minoes - they would be spoken in Dutch but with English subtitles. www.bol.com sells a lot.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page