Possibly moving to Amsterdam.... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 11-29-2010, 01:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm American and we may possibly be moving to Amsterdam....if you are an expat....what do you like the most about NL and what are your pevs? I do not speak Dutch and this seemed to be a huge issue for me in getting around etc. Has it been that big of a deal for you? What about medical options and child birth?

Mami to fly-by-nursing2.gifds 4 wks, ds 2yo, ds 6yo, dd 11yo, ds 17 yo. novaxnoIRC.gifwaterbirth.jpg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 3 Old 12-06-2010, 12:57 PM
Banned

I live in a different European country and I found it is harder to get back to the US than I anticipated. Especially after giving birth. DS was 5 months sold before we had his passport. If you needed to get back for any reason, it could be difficult. 

#3 of 3 Old 02-24-2011, 06:26 AM

OP was 2 months ago, but I thought I'd answer anyways.  I've lived in NL for 5 years (I"m from Canada).  I love it here, although I live on the opposite side of the country from Amsterdam (so can't comment on it's (un)awesomeness).  Dutch isn't so much a big deal since everyone speaks english and always wants to practice it.  I learned Dutch by listening to conversation (I already spoke German) and always wanted to practice speaking but ppl heard my English accent and just spoke English.  They still try even though I"m fluent.  The culture is fun to get to know and buying a bike was my best investment.  It's not so different from NA culture really. 

You need to get medical insurance when you move here and there's many companies to choose from.  I'd do some research and see the options.  Some only let you see certain doctors, some don't pay for some procedures, etc.  I hear OHRA is good, although I have a different one.  Child birth is a lot more calm here, and many birth at home.  A midwife will be assigned to you and there will be after-birth care for up to a week or so. 

Passports shouldn't be a problem for any children.  My DH has two kids with an American x-wife and they both got American passports after their birth from the embassy in Den Haag.  Just remember to have all your documents legalised by the US and NL authorities (I hear the US embassy does it for US citizens here).

**2**4**3rdtri.gif**8**10**12**14**16**18**20**22**24**26**28**30**32**34**36**38**40homebirth.jpg
SAHstepM to C faint.gif and N blahblah.gif

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page