Current Situation in Amsterdam RE: Coffee Shops. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-13-2011, 05:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Does anyone have knowledge of the current situation in Amsterdam? We are traveling there next week and have had this trip booked for a year and a half. Someone mentioned casually to my husband that they are in the process of making it illegal for tourists to buy smoke. Coffee shops are going "Members Only" and you have to be a Netherlands citizen in order to gain membership. One article we found online said they expect complete compliance by 7/1/11 We will be there 6/23-6/26 and Im curious what to expect. Im really bummed at the idea that I might not be able to visit any coffee shops. Although it is not the only reason we decided to include Amsterdam in our travels, it did play a major part in it. Anyone been there recently or have any info on this?

Thanks!!

Mom to 3 Married to geek.gif for 10 wonderful years luxlove.gif
13 af.gif 9 goodvibes.gifand 6coolshine.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-05-2012, 02:58 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Don't know the current situation of "coffee shops" in Amsterdam or NL in general; however I feel that I ought to warn you that regardless of what the situation is for foreigners and "coffee shops", it is very much illegal for an American to participate even if it's otherwise legal to do so by Dutch law.

Just a little warning.

Otherwise, I know they are trying to crack down on it - not because *they* care what foreigners do there as long as Dutch law isn't being broken, but because they've been getting a lot of hassle from other EU countries over it (Germany, for one example, has been throwing a fit over it).

EDIT: Oh, and I realise I totally necro'd a thread - I'm really sorry. Maybe the info I posted will be useful to someone else in the future, though, so I leave it. But, again, really sorry for necroing. I didn't realise the post was in 2011 and not 2012.

User Tag List