Mothering Forum banner

advice for American spending 2 months in Netherlands?

3K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  sarahmck 
#1 ·
I got a grant from my employer to do some research in the Netherlands next summer (09) for about 2 months, I plan to spend time in Amsterdam, Rotterdam, The Hague, and Utrecht - a few weeks in each place. I am bringing DS with me, who will be about 18 MO by then.

My budget is limited, and I am trying to stretch it so that I can stay for as long as possible. My original plan was to stay at hostels. However, I spoke with a friend last night, and he said that hostels in the Netherlands were full of tourists looking to get high, and would not be a good place for DS. He has only been there once, but that was his impression.

Could anybody give me some leads on places to stay in those cities for a few weeks each? I want to avoid hotels (or at least avoid expensive hotels), since they will exhaust my budget quickly and I won't be able to spend as much time there. We really don't need anything fancy - just a clean safe place with a bed and access to cooking facilities.

Thanks!

#2 ·
The Netherlands is a very small country; the places you mention are less than 50 miles from each other with trains going every 15 minutes. So you might want to consider choosing a home base and traveling from there. For a 2-month period, you may consider renting an apartment. It'd be cheaper than a hostel and very homey. Amsterdam needs little explanation (there will be a lot of tourists in summer, but almost everybody is fluent in English), Rotterdam is more of a 'labor town', Utrecht is like a smaller version of Amsterdam and The Hague is the political center and close to the sea. Amsterdam would be the easiest place to find something, and maybe THe Hague (which might cost more). Maybe you can find something here? http://www.perfecthousing.nl/index.p...FRSO1QodR06q2w

I'll look around a bit for more recommendations.

YOu may also consider staying outside on of the 'big 4'' cities, depending on how much quiet you want around you. Again, wherever you are, almost every town has a train every 30 mins to every other place in the country, so location is not very important. And you can buy or rent a bicycle with child seat for your son to get the 'real Dutch experience', it's a lot of fun.

#3 ·
I looked around abit and found these
http://www.amsterdam.info/apartments/business/
http://www.perfecthousing.nl/index.p...FRyB1QodoE933Q

1500 euros a month sounds like a lot (to me), but it's cheaper than a hostel and you'd have a very nice place. Many are in good areas. These two links were the top hits on an Amsterdam tourist apartment GOogle search; you can probably find many more. There is also a nice group of MDC mamas here (I live out in the country) who can probably help you. If you need language assistance anywhere, lmk, my native language is Dutch.

#4 ·
Thanks Simonee - I was actually thinking of renting a place for the whole time as a home, so I don't have to haul all my stuff with me. I didn't realize that cities were so close together. I will look into the places that you suggested. They look nice - especially the one with a washing machine, so I won't have to take diapers to the laundry every 3 days.

I am really excited about this... We bike for transportation at home, and it is such a challenge. I can't wait to see a real bike-friendly place. I may even take one of those lovely dutch bikes home with me.

#7 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by lillian View Post
an update!

just signed a lease for a 3 month rental. it is on the higher end of the budget, but finding a place proved more difficult than i thought!
The American Women's Club has a mother-baby playgroup every week on Monday mornings. Let me know if you want the info on where we'll be meeting once you get here. There's also an English-language LLL meeting in Amsterdam, an AP playgroup, etc. Definitely get in touch if you're interested in those things while you're here.

#8 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahmck View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by lillian View Post
an update!

just signed a lease for a 3 month rental. it is on the higher end of the budget, but finding a place proved more difficult than i thought!
The American Women's Club has a mother-baby playgroup every week on Monday mornings. Let me know if you want the info on where we'll be meeting once you get here. There's also an English-language LLL meeting in Amsterdam, an AP playgroup, etc. Definitely get in touch if you're interested in those things while you're here.
Hello! I just moved to Amsterdam and looking to meet other mamas. I have an 11 month old son. Could you message me about when these meetings are @Lillian?
smile.gif

#9 ·
Hello,

These days, the best way to meet new people is to join the extremely active FB group called Amsterdam Mamas. You may need to be added by a member, I'm not sure. If so, just send me an e-mail at sarahm at gmail dot com and I'll get you added. There are also still LLL meetings. The old leader has moved away and a new leader is in town. I can put you in touch with her as well. Welcome to Amsterdam!

Sarah

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.