What to expect after a puppy is neutered? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 11-17-2008, 01:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi All,

I very actively use this site for my pregnancy, but this is my first time using for a pet. My 9 month old yorkie/chihuahua is getting neutered today. I have a Shepherd who was spayed 3 years ago and I remember she was sleep and out of it the night we brought her home and was back to normal the next day. Does anyone have any advice on what to expect for a male puppy after a neutering? Will he absolutely need to wear the cone? He normally sleeps in our bed, shoud we put him in the kennel tonight? Will he be ok by himself in the kennel all day tomorrw?

TIA!!

Married to my best friend Mama to DS1 4/2009 and DS2 3/2011 and two Remembering 3/2008
****5****10****15***20****25****30****35 ****40
#2 of 3 Old 11-17-2008, 01:55 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
neither of my pups where sent home with a collar, the vet did tell us to call if they started at their stiches. They never did. Well Daisy did once and I just distracted her to take her attention off them.

Our pups did not stay at the vets office over night, I dropped them off in the morning around 8pm, called around 2 they said we could pick them up after 5pm. everything was going well.

I made a nice comfy spot with a soft clean comforter on the floor. both slept all night, took it very easy the next day, just went out for potty breaks. The vet did give us 2 meds. we gave them to them in pb.
really out of 2 dogs we never had any problems. Just take it easy the week following. we didnt do any walks until day 3. and even then it was a short (5 minute walk). so she could get out of the house , sniff up and down the street.

I would put him in the crate, or make a soft spot for him on the floor. I wouldnt want to accidently bump him in the night and make him soar.
#3 of 3 Old 11-17-2008, 05:29 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
you'll want to keep his activity low and definitely no jumping. keeping him in a crate or on a dog bed would be best, unless you think he'll hop up in bed with you if not crated. he'll probably be in pain and a bit groggy the first night and day, but then he'll likely bounce back quickly. you'll just have to make sure to limit his activities for him.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page