If your bird had a stroke - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 11-27-2008, 02:34 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I think my bird has had a stroke. One side of her body is just not cooperating properly. I can't get her to eat, but she's very interested when I give her water through a syringe. I have a friend whose bird had a stroke and the vet said there was nothing he could do for the bird and she had to have it put down. I would rather not end her life prematurely if I can help it. Is there anything I can do to make things easier on her?

Please don't flame me. I love my bird and I don't want to let her go. If she has to die I want it to be on her own. I just want to make her more confortable until then if she is going to die.
Thanks

I uploaded a video to YouTube of what she's doing. It's not approved or whatever yet, but here's a link for when it's up.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cFjEu5Ms0Sg

Also, I checked to see if it was eggbinding and I couldn't feel anything.
#2 of 7 Old 11-27-2008, 02:51 AM

Wow, she is beautiful!

I don't have much experience with birds, but my BIL's dog did something very similar once. She had an inflammation around one of her nerves that caused her to drag her hind feet and she became incontinent and made messes in his house even though she would previously have been mortified by an accident.

He took her to the vet to have her, "put down" because he thought she'd had a stroke or injured her spinal cord somehow. The doctor put her on anti-inflammatory medicine and allsymptoms disappeared within two or three days.

I say take her to the vet if you can. Either way, you will know what's happening with her. If you can't take her to the vet, you will just have to trust your instincts on when she has had enough. (((((((HUGS)))))))
#3 of 7 Old 11-27-2008, 03:56 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by veggiemomma View Post
Wow, she is beautiful!
Thank you, I'm quite fond of her. I gave her some corn syrup on a q-tip and she really enjoyed that, she's now standing better, but she's still doing the rhythmic chirping and is still a bit wobbly. She's back in her cage now so maybe she can get some rest.
Thank you for your kind words. There isn't an avian vet within hours of me, so I have to do my best until the holiday is over. She's hanging in there right now.
#4 of 7 Old 11-27-2008, 04:11 AM

My parakeet had a stroke. Basically, the left side of her body was weakened. I didn't take her to an avian vet, because I didn't think she'd survive anyways. This isn't medical advice, but I diluted an aspirin into water to use as a blood thinner. I don't recall the dilution amount...it was one bottle of water to an aspirin, but I don't remember if it was a 20oz or 1L.

I gave her the water with a dropper initially, but then just put it in her water dish. I modified her cage set up so it was handicap accessible, and she did well. She kept climbing around her cage and still harassed the cockatiels. I had her for a while after that...6months-1year? She was 12 when she died.

I fed her Harrisons pellets, though after the stroke, I spoiled her with millet more often.
#5 of 7 Old 11-27-2008, 04:18 AM

Our parakeet, Zazu, had a stroke when I was in high school.

We fed him for a few days with an eyedropper and he recovered. We fed him cereal that was very diluted by water. I don't remember what kind of cereal.

He had a second stroke maybe half a year later and wouldn't eat at all, and we took him to the vets to be put to sleep. But his quality of life in that half-year was very good, so I'm glad we didn't give up on him right away.

Sounds like you're doing the right thing for your bird. *hugs* Maybe ask a vet what other kind of food you can feed her with the syringe, and see how it goes from there.
#6 of 7 Old 11-27-2008, 11:14 AM - Thread Starter

She made it through the night!When I took the cover off the cage she was hanging on to the bottom cross-bar with her beak and had her feet perched at the top of the plastic bottom. I think I woke her up because I left to get some water ready for her and when I came back she was standing on the bottom of the cage. Standing!! She is still twitching a bit, but she's not chirping anymore and she seemed really interested in some corn syrup mixed with water and a little vitamins. She licked that off a q-tip for about 10 minutes. She's back in the cage now and I'm going to try some cream of wheat on a q-tip and see how she likes that.

Thanks so much, ladies! I feel very encouraged by your responses! I'm glad I didn't spend $120 to take her in to a vet just to be put down. Thanks so much! *hugs*
#7 of 7 Old 11-27-2008, 09:10 PM - Thread Starter

We left for a Thanksgiving lunch and when we got home she had passed.
Now I'm not sure what to do about her partner. They have always been together (2 years) and he's not friendly to me. If anyone has a good website or book I should check out about lovebirds who lose their partners I could really use one.
Thanks again for all the support

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page