Austin is coming home (picture added) - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 87 Old 12-01-2008, 11:36 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I guess Austin's sponsor has fallen through. To be honest, I wasn't entirely thrilled with how this whole thing has been going on, anyway. It's been rather difficult communicating with the folks who have him...emails have been going unanswered for weeks (if at all) and phone calls never returned. I finally called Austin's breeder last night to get the scoop. I guess the guy who offered to sponsor him never coughed up the money (he was expecting an elusive "wire transfer" that was going to come in any day...it just never did)

So, I requested that they send him home. I'm so uncomfortable with him being so far away. I totally underestimated the size of the hole in my life with him gone. I miss him so much. I'm sad that he isn't going to get to be a star, but he's my heart dog, and he belongs right here, next to me. They're researching flights right now, and he should be home by Christmas.

Misti, mom to DS (12), DS (9), DD (3), and Mr. Man (October '10)!

#2 of 87 Old 12-01-2008, 01:04 PM

Hope he comes back soon and that it all goes smoothly.

Honestly, that would have been a difficult situation for me to deal with. Chance has nice type, and would definitely be able to go for more than granding...and his breeder in the past had offered to take him to some shows out of state, etc. I knew right away I couldn't do it. He's just my guy.

It makes it somewhat easier as well that he is not so hot about going to shows these days. So, when he gets the last points to grand he's officially retired!!!

Perpetually breastfeeding or pregnant ENFP mom to a lot of kids...wife to a midwestern nice guy...living in tropical paradise...pink cats and homebirths rock!

#3 of 87 Old 12-01-2008, 02:07 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
That happens a lot. Get him back asap. Sounds like the person who was going to back him got talked out of it or found a dog they liked better or with a better handler. Just get him back as soon as you can.

Mom to two beautiful boys, now in school to be a therapist and help other women with PPD.  

#4 of 87 Old 12-01-2008, 02:13 PM - Thread Starter

I'm really looking forward to lure coursing with Austin in the spring anyway He has one leg towards his junior courser title now, so that should be pretty easy to obtain, and then we'll work towards a field championship for him. I'm tossing around the idea of obedience, too...although I have NO experience, I think it might be fun!

I guess I really need to start looking for a good winter coat for him. He's going to need lots of exercise to stay fit through the winter...so I guess that means *I'm* going to get lots of exercise in this frigid weather. I wish there was an indoor place to exercise dogs here

#5 of 87 Old 12-02-2008, 04:45 AM

I literally woke up this morning thinking about you, and about this issue (no I do not normally wake up thinking about MDC ).

I wasn't going to say anything of course, but I was thinking about what a dilemma that must be: on one hand that is an incredible opportunity, but on the other hand, the dog only knows that he's been (in his mind) rehomed. Dogs don't care about titles or awards, they don't even know about them.
#6 of 87 Old 12-02-2008, 01:07 PM - Thread Starter

you're right...even though he's with people he's known his entire life, he doesn't understand. Here's an example. He was with his breeder while we visited MN, and she ended up keeping him for a couple of weeks so she could show him. I was planning to pick him up the Friday before we moved so he could go with us. At this point I knew NOTHING about them planning to special him. So Friday night, I drove 2 hours to his breeder's house to get him. I arrived in the evening, and THAT was when they told me they wanted to special him. No phone calls ahead of time to let me think it over. They knew I have a family that loves him, but they gave me no opportunity to talk it over with them first. So here I am, busy and distracted with a big move, wanting to pick up my dog who I haven't seen in a month, and she is begging me to let her special him (not his breeder, his breeder's daughter who is.......interesting.)...I told her if I left him there my husband would literally MURDER me. Not to mention my boys, who missed their dog terribly. Finally I told her that I needed to take him with me, at least on the move, and we could reevaluate then whether I wanted to special him or not.

So she says that's fine with her, but that she's already entered him in a 3 day show in OK, and she would hate for Austin to ride in a moving truck for 1700 miles, then have to turn around and fly back to AZ and then drive to OK all in a matter of days. So I said, let me take him home, talk it over with my family, and I'll let you know.

So he came home Friday night. We spent all day Saturday cleaning and packing, while I agonized about what to do. I wanted to special him...I always knew that might be a possibility with him from the day I got him, and honestly,that's part of the reason I got a show dog in the first place. But on the other hand, I missed him. My kdis missed him, and my husband was PISSED at me for even considering it. And also, I really didn't want to stress the dog any more by schlepping him all over creation.

So I called her Saturday night and told her she could come get him Sunday morning before we left. I've been kicking myself ever since. Oh, btw, the "sponsor" was her boyfriend, who strung us all along, telling me and Austin's breeder that his "money" was coming "any day"...he told me that Friday in Scottsdale that it would be available the following Wednesday, and here we are 5 weeks later, and he still doesn't have it.

You know, writing all of that down pisses me off even more. My husband has been suspicious of the breeder's daughter for months...thinking she wants to keep Austin, and that's why she's been incommunicado. I argued with him, but now I'm beginning to think he may be right...not that his breeder would ever allow it (or me for that matter)...but I think I'll call today and get a hammered down date for his flight and a confirmation number.

#7 of 87 Old 12-02-2008, 10:15 PM

Yeah! Happy to hear that he is coming home. Zander's breeder sent his sister away this summer for shows and I just could not imagine life without my furry baby.

Kim, proud CPS mom to Marnie and my 4 legged kids, Jess, Zander, Oliver, Stumpy and Eddie.
#8 of 87 Old 12-03-2008, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesa View Post
So I called her Saturday night and told her she could come get him Sunday morning before we left. I've been kicking myself ever since. Oh, btw, the "sponsor" was her boyfriend, who strung us all along, telling me and Austin's breeder that his "money" was coming "any day"...he told me that Friday in Scottsdale that it would be available the following Wednesday, and here we are 5 weeks later, and he still doesn't have it.

You know, writing all of that down pisses me off even more. My husband has been suspicious of the breeder's daughter for months...thinking she wants to keep Austin, and that's why she's been incommunicado. I argued with him, but now I'm beginning to think he may be right...not that his breeder would ever allow it (or me for that matter)...but I think I'll call today and get a hammered down date for his flight and a confirmation number.
That whole situation sounds SUPER fishy. I honestly wouldn't even think of working with someone who I didn't trust, who I didn't have a friendship with outside of just the animals, etc. Because in the scheme of things, championships, exhibition really doesn't 'count'...well not in the sense that I'm thinking of. All of those things are so temporary, any titles that you get on an animal. Having lived with national, regional winning cats...one show grands to 4 show grands...honestly all of that stuff really doesn't matter in a situation where they're really your 'pet' and a 'member of your family'. Although sure, I like nice type in my cats, there's way more to having a pet than that. It's different for serious show breeders, the animals worth is in its performance and it's ability to produce. And, here you are with a family, having to ask your children to sacrifice their pet for something like that too. I think that's a really tough situation to be in.

I've felt like I've had that with the cat's breeders, even when I was in a situation where I was a bit freaked out when I picked up the last cat (who was VERY thin...and I was worried about that). It did turn out to be pretty much what she said it was with her...she's normal weight now and actually I'm happier with her now that her coat is in. We email about other stuff even than the cats (since I'm preggo and so is her daughter it makes for some interesting conversations!).

Honestly, I don't even like the fact that they've still got him over there...I would definitely insist that he's back ASAP. I'm sure nearly all of us in the fancy have heard of co-ownerships going wrong, and I don't want you or your family to have to deal with that.

Perpetually breastfeeding or pregnant ENFP mom to a lot of kids...wife to a midwestern nice guy...living in tropical paradise...pink cats and homebirths rock!

#9 of 87 Old 12-03-2008, 01:43 PM

I hate to say it but none of this surprises me. Dog people can be very dishonest and have really bad motives for things they do. I think your instincts are right on, and that someone wanted to keep this dog from you. That happens ALL the time. Breeders get it in their head that the dog was so nice they shouldn't have sold it, and the get greedy. It happens SO much, which is why dog showing is such a tough sport and breaks so many hearts. The fact that this dog is a member of your family does not matter to a serious breeder.
If they think it's the best dog they have bred, or it has a chance to be a national player, they will try to get it from you.

I'm so glad he's coming home and I would KEEP him home from now on. If you want him shown, YOU pick a handler for him. Sorry this happened to you. It's happened to me, too.

Mom to two beautiful boys, now in school to be a therapist and help other women with PPD.  

#10 of 87 Old 12-05-2008, 06:28 PM - Thread Starter

Still waiting to hear when they're sending him home. They know I need him home by Christmas, and I'm sure it's only going to get more difficult/expensive to fly him as time goes on...but they're waiting for an elusive "bitch in heat" who never seems to materialize so they can have him collected at the cryobank. I understand this, but they need to get a move on, you know? We DO have cryobanks here in MN. I'm getting angrier every day...I can't afford to fly him myself, and I certainly can't afford to go get him. Is this going to ruin my relationship with his breeder?

I think I'm D.O.N.E. with co ownerships from now on. This stinks!

#11 of 87 Old 12-06-2008, 12:48 PM

Yes. This is how EVERY co-ownership eventually goes with a serious show breeder. They are taking advantage of you, and may be trying to steal your dog. I've gone through it, as I have co-owned with some power players in the sport. There's a reason AKC won't back you up in co-ownerships. They don't like them and they won't touch them. This is why. I really hope you get him back soon. I can pretty much promise you there is no bitch they are waiting on.

ETA: what does your contract say about where he will live?

#12 of 87 Old 12-06-2008, 03:24 PM - Thread Starter

my contract says that he lives with me. What happens if they try to pull some stupid reason for keeping him? Do I have any legal recourse, or do they just get to keep the dog?

Not that I can afford a damn lawyer anyway.

#13 of 87 Old 12-06-2008, 03:29 PM

Oh gosh, I don't want to scare you, but possession is 9/10 of the law. And I'm sure they know that.

I think what happened is that he turned out nicer than they thought he would when they sold him to you. And now they see themselves specialing him to fame and glory and you are an obstacle. Like I said, it's happened to me and so many others, which is why I am so strongly against co-ownerships. I have been in this sport too long and seen too much.

I would just be as aggressive as you can. Research the flights and give them a day, time, etc. that he must be dropped off. Tell them that YOU will have him collected where YOU are, and YOU will Fed Ex the semen. Find a good fertility vet in your area, email them the doctor's contact info, and tell them that when they are ready to breed him, you will collect him and ship the semen at their cost.

The dog is yours. But like I said, if they have him, there is not much you can do. AKC will NOT get involved. You may need to hire a lawyer (I have done) and it won't be cheap.

Like I said before, stuff like this happens ALL THE TIME. It is so common. You just have to be really aggressive and get him back. Welcome to the world of serious dog exhibitors. Consider this your initiation, and don't back down. You can get him back. But you have to be aggressive. Take the initiative and get him booked on a flight yourself.

#14 of 87 Old 12-15-2008, 12:35 PM

Any news on this? It's been on my mind...

#15 of 87 Old 12-15-2008, 03:14 PM

I just saw that one of the other posters had bumped this up for an update. I read what happened and I'm so fuming for you.

I really hope that you have a resolution and SOON! I agree with one of the other breeders, for co-ownerships things can go south SO quickly! Especially if you're not active in the dog fancy yourself and don't have connections, they could definitely take advantage of you.

In my situation the cat that I co-own (Chance) was done basically after knowing the breeder for a while, showing with them and the plain fact is...my cat is altered. She used him for breeding for many years, has one of his sons (has the line) so really the only benefit that we have for showing him is that as an alter he gets another title and is an extra point for the cat that she's been showing as an alter (though woops Chance has beaten her cat a few times). I benefit from reduced entry fees, she benefits from having me do the upkeep, grooming and handling him and having a lovely cat of her breeding out there for others to see. After she saw how I showed the first cat I got from her, she was comfortable enough with me to co-own. They also are very active breeders and have good reputations.

But, in reality, my cat is now a neuter and is 'worthless' with regards to the breeding aspect.

#16 of 87 Old 12-15-2008, 04:18 PM

I've been thinking about you mesa, hoping that he's home soon where he belongs

Half-marathon running Mommy to 3 spunky girls and 1 sweet boy. Spending my days and nights where my kids need me most- at home with them!!

#17 of 87 Old 12-15-2008, 05:27 PM

I am so sorry that you are dealing with a co-ownership like this one. I co-own my gordon and my weim. My gordon's breeder is a very close friend, and I haven't heard from Julie's breeder since she was diagnosed with an auto-immune disorder 7 years ago. I really hope that you get Austin back, and then look into dissolving the co-ownership. It can be done, but both parties have to agree. The AKC can tell you exactly how to go about it.

Erin, mom to Amelia Rose:, 6/15/06 and Lily Grace, 6/7/09; wife to Phil since 10/9/04
#18 of 87 Old 12-15-2008, 07:54 PM - Thread Starter

Nothing yet...she's crying poor and claiming she "isn't sure if she can keep her lights on"....far cry from having tens of thousands of dollars to spend on specialing the dog, no?

Anyway, I'm despondent. I certainly don't have the money myself...we haven't even finished paying for our move yet, and DH is still out of work. I even called my parents and threw myself on their mercies...but no go there either.

Even if I sue, which I can NOT afford, my contract states that all litigation must take place in Maricopa County. At that point I might as well cough up $400 for a ticket to bring him home myself.

I don't even want to think about it anymore.

And there goes my 2,000 post. Yay me!

#19 of 87 Old 12-15-2008, 09:25 PM

I'm so, so, sorry. It just sounds like so many other situations that I myself and so many others I know have gone through with co-ownerships. They are so hard, and really hardly ever work out well. When they do, it's so rare. I will NEVER do another one again. On the breeding side or the buyer side. Neither of them EVER work.

I really hope you get him back. I would just really keep after her. She was smart (unfortunately for you) because she put in her contract that litigation had to take place in her county. There is a reason that breeders do that, and you are finding out the hard way why. Usually, owners won't bother or don't have the money to litigate and if the dog is residing at the breeder's... then guess what? The dog is the breeder's property, end of story.

I'm so sorry that they took advantage of you like this and I really hope you get him back one day. Like I said before it's a hard initiation into the dog world, but it's one that SO many of us have had to go through and we just learn the really hard way not to trust anyone.

IF you need any advice about this, you can PM me any time. I know it's so hard what you are going through.

#20 of 87 Old 12-16-2008, 07:46 AM

#21 of 87 Old 12-16-2008, 11:51 AM

Damn Mesa, I'm sorry

Have you emailed Joanna? I believe that she's done co-ownership and she might have an idea. I hope it works out for you and Austin, I really do

Half-marathon running Mommy to 3 spunky girls and 1 sweet boy. Spending my days and nights where my kids need me most- at home with them!!

#22 of 87 Old 12-16-2008, 12:01 PM

Where is the dog? Maybe we can make a transport railroad to get him home to you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesa View Post
Nothing yet...she's crying poor and claiming she "isn't sure if she can keep her lights on"....far cry from having tens of thousands of dollars to spend on specialing the dog, no?

Anyway, I'm despondent. I certainly don't have the money myself...we haven't even finished paying for our move yet, and DH is still out of work. I even called my parents and threw myself on their mercies...but no go there either.

Even if I sue, which I can NOT afford, my contract states that all litigation must take place in Maricopa County. At that point I might as well cough up $400 for a ticket to bring him home myself.

I don't even want to think about it anymore.

And there goes my 2,000 post. Yay me!

He who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe is as good as dead; his eyes are closed.  ~Albert Einstein
#23 of 87 Old 12-16-2008, 12:38 PM - Thread Starter

He's in Scottsdale, and I'm in St Paul MN

I spoke to Joanna about it a week or so ago...she had a house fire last week and hasn't been online as far as I know.

#24 of 87 Old 12-16-2008, 01:14 PM

Well, I'm no where near.

I hope you can get him back soon.

He who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe is as good as dead; his eyes are closed.  ~Albert Einstein
#25 of 87 Old 12-17-2008, 04:37 AM

Hoping you can get him back soon - you know, if they're planning on breeding him, as co-owner, your signature needs to be on the paperwork - & there's so much DNA testing done now, it would be easy to prove if a sire wasn't who they say. I have a boy who I co-own his dam (she lives with the other owner), & on the litter registration, we both had to sign, plus his sire is an Australian import & owned by 3 people, so all 3 of them had to sign - it had 5 people signing that litter registration!

Just saying, another reason for them to need to give him back to you - hope he's home soon :

: : SAHM to : (5/06), : (7/07) Plus : & a few
#26 of 87 Old 12-17-2008, 12:29 PM

Actually, for the sire of the litter, only ONE co-owner needs to sign. It's only on a bitch that you need both co-owner's signatures. That's why they can get away with this, I'm afraid.

Mesa, you just have to be really tough and keep persevering to get your dog back. Don't let up at all.

#27 of 87 Old 12-17-2008, 11:27 PM

My heart just goes out to you and to Austin. I hope that he makes it home very, very soon. If I were anywhere near, I'd do anything that I could.
#28 of 87 Old 12-17-2008, 11:34 PM - Thread Starter

it helps just knowing that all of you are pulling for us. I know he'll be home eventually...it's the waiting that sucks, you know? I emailed my dad tonight and asked (again) for help, I really laid it on thick this time, and I promised to pay him back as soon as Matt starts working. If all else fails, I'll be able to buy him a ticket at the beginning of Feb...really, REALLY not what I want to do; I want him home way before that, but there it is. Sigh.

#29 of 87 Old 12-17-2008, 11:43 PM

this make me so, so sad for you! I wish there were something I could do.
#30 of 87 Old 12-18-2008, 12:47 AM - Thread Starter

So she emailed me tonight. She said that she had him collected today, and his semen wasn't so good. Less than a million, only 40% alive, and he only produced 4 straws. She said that maybe the semen was old. So I guess she made another appt for Saturday. I emailed back and asked as gently as I could that she consider holding off on collecting him until after the New Year because a) he hasn't even had his health testing yet, and since I'm responsible for paying for that, I'm not exactly sure when that will happen, b) she has NO guarantee that he will even pass his health testing, so it seems kind of pointless to spend this money right now on collecting him, c) we have perfectly good cryo banks and repro vets here in MN that can take care of his collection when it's time, and d) collecting and storing semen is expensive, and we could spend that money on getting him home, then worrya bout collecting him when we aren't so broke, either of us.

I also told her that if she could swing the ticket, even temporarily, I would pay her back with a check I'm receiving at the beginning of Feb. I won't have a dime (literally) until then, but I can't wait until then to bring him home. It kills me that I'm going to have to pay for this ticket, when it was her daughter who lied to me and totally misrepresented the situation, but what else can I do?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page