Red Mange - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 12-21-2008, 11:26 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Alrighty I have a pug and I noticed in the past few days that the insides of her legs where they meet her chest are sort of redish, upon closer inspection it appears the hair is thinned and the skin is irritated and a little not really bumpy but raised.

She cannot chew this area (can't reach) and she can't really scratch it, I've checked her over for fleas and she has none so I started looking around and it looks like red mange.

I read that all dogs have it, but in certain breeds (or immuno compromised) animals the mites (mange) get out of wack and then there are too many.

I read some more and some vets recommend watching and waiting because lots of cases just heal themselves, and then I read if they don't that they do this toxic chemical dip that can in some cases kill the dog, and of course there are heavy warnings about people touching this stuff- which you don't wash off once you apply.

This dog is a pug so there's no way to keep her off us if she needs toxic chemicals, so does anyone know how to get this doggie back to a normal level of these critters? (Sounds so disturbing!)

I was thinking of bathing her and of course cleaning her crate and bedding (I do this all the time anyway) and then maybe getting her on some nice doggy vitamins.

What else?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 6 Old 12-22-2008, 01:26 PM

We're treating our youngest dog for demodex mange right now (is that the same as "red" mange? She does get orangey-coloured specks on the patches from the irrated hair follicles...)

We've been using an oral medication, Ivomex (ivermectin). It's doing the trick and so far we have seen no ill-effects from it after about 5 weeks. Our vet would recommend "wait it out" if there was only a single patch of it, but she had about 4-5 spots on her body, so we decided to treat. Our vet doesn't like the dip tx either.
#3 of 6 Old 12-22-2008, 05:36 PM

I had a basset hound that used to get red, irritated armpits. In bassets their skin kinda wrinkles and it was not getting dry enough in there, and irritated when he exercised.

Our vet suggested putting powder in his armpits and it worked wonders. In fact, it used to be hilarious because it was a daily ritutal to say, "Roll over, let's powder your pitts!" and that dog would roll over and stick his arms up in the air.

Anyway, I would have a vet check it out to see what is causing it and let him/her recommend the most natural cure.

Candacepeace.gif, Married to dh   guitar.gif, Mom to ds (8) biggrinbounce.gif , Gavin candle.gif (9/30/10 - 12/19/10) and cautiously expecting our rainbow1284.gif 4-29-12

#4 of 6 Old 12-22-2008, 07:22 PM

it could be a staph infection ... my dog had staph and it lookewd really red in her belly also ...
#5 of 6 Old 12-22-2008, 11:33 PM

Our dog had a truely awful case of demodatice mange. We tried absolutely everything short of the dips before giving her the Imovex, it worked wonders. We had been treating her homeopathically, with herbs, raw diet, Chinese medicine, creams, special baths.......for 8.5 months. The Imovex cleared it within a month.

If it is mange she needs to go to the vet to be tested.

Mom to ds 9 dd 7 : and dd 3/08 : if I can I go to
#6 of 6 Old 12-22-2008, 11:47 PM

Imovex is very strong stuff, but it is very commonly used for all sorts of animals. Aside from dogs, I've seen it used on guineas, horses, and even mice. We had to use it on our pet mice for mites, and it really helped them. However, lots of things can cause skin issues. It's always good to see a vet first, and to go from there. If it's mange or a mite problem, you can at least narrow it out right away. If it's not, it can be anything from Staph or chaffing from exercise (as the other posters have mentioned) to thyroid conditions (can cause hair loss or rashes) to topical or food allergies (my dogs had horrible skin problems from those).

Skin stuff is always kind of a mystery that way. As the owner of two dogs who suffered greatly from rashes and baldness over a year before we figured out they were allergic to fish in their dog food, I wish you luck into getting to the bottom of it quickly.

Enjoying the adventure of NFL with my partner-in-crime , DD 03.09 , , &

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page