Scabby cats with orange eggs? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 01-20-2009, 07:21 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have about 6 cats hanging round my farm, needless to say they aren't vaxed, they're all in different stages of I think the same thing. they start out with these orange granules/eggs around their ears (well they are most visible there, I haven't been checking them thoroughly all over) and then get really bloody scabs, which are concentrated on the same area though they are visible all over. Does anyone know what this might be and how I can treat it? Googling doesn't seem to throw up anything about these orange things. I can get most meds including abx over the counter if need be so I don't really want to pay a vet (and it's over 2 hours drive) to tell me to get something I don't need a script for.

I should mention that whilst they aren't our cats per se, they occasionally get in our house, we got fleas back in october so I rounded up 4 of em and frontlined them, the 2 I didn't catch seem to have got this condition much worse.

Help! TIA Sadystar
#2 of 9 Old 01-20-2009, 11:16 AM

I'm taking it that they are feral? Or at least partly? You could use a live trap to catch them maybe? At least get them altered so they don't reproduce on you and next spring you have 30 instead of 6.

It sortof sounds like fly eggs, like horses get, but I've never seen them on cats.
#3 of 9 Old 01-20-2009, 12:28 PM - Thread Starter

There aren't any flies at this time of year, besides scabby cat disease seems to be quite common around here, the nearest village has more strays than humans and quite a lot of them get really scabby. These cat aren't feral, they are farm cats not pet cats IYKWIM, I can usually get hold of them by dispensing biscuits.
#4 of 9 Old 01-20-2009, 01:39 PM

Do the eggs look like this?

I had a cat with a bot larvae in her neck years ago...it looked like a white ring with a round scab in the middle. When the scab was removed, there was an incredibly disgusting fat white grub embedded in her neck. I don't know if you have these sorts of things in Europe...I was living in southeast Texas at the time.

Misti, mom to DS (12), DS (9), DD (3), and Mr. Man (October '10)!

#5 of 9 Old 01-20-2009, 01:49 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
they are bot eggs. I had outdoor rabbits get them. They ca kill the cats if they grow in the wrong area (brain, nears lungs, airways).
Id consult a vet on getting rid of them.

Decluttering 500/2010
#6 of 9 Old 01-21-2009, 05:12 PM - Thread Starter

Those are gross, but I'd say I'm 99.9% sure that isn't it. The reasons being is that they are definitely orange and I saw another cat in another town with them today and the owner said they came and went with the winter - he seemed to think that it might be a fungus, but he never treated it and his cat had had it year after year with no further problems.

When I say the cats have scabs I should elaborate. The scabs aren't uniform in size or shape, they are crusty bloody hairless patches (jeez I hope no one's just eaten!), I think my cats might have it worse because they have such close contact that they pass it round between themselves, when they sleep together when they swipe at eachother etc.

I guess I could just wait for it to go away, but I'd like for curiosity's sake to know what it is.....if I can't find out maybe I should name it myself!
#7 of 9 Old 01-22-2009, 03:01 AM

I say this as a mama and a cat lover--you call them yours, but you're not providing vet care for them. Bloody, scabby patches aren't something you should wait to see if it goes away. "Your" cats need to see a vet. They are suffering.

If you're not prepared to do this, you should rehome the cats or have them euthanised.
#8 of 9 Old 01-22-2009, 03:12 AM

Quote:
Other parasites affecting the ears of cats: The harvest mite, Trombicula autumnalis, can be a seasonal problem. In the autumn the larval form parasites cats. The larva is visible as an orange 'pinhead' on the ears, face and feet of affected cats. It can cause local irritation. Treatment consists of antiparasitic powders/sprays. If itching is severe, a short course of glucocorticoid may also be given.
Sound about right?

I have two beloved indoor cats that get the best care I can give them. But I also have an outdoor cat that came with my house. He's totally feral, although he's fixed. I can't look out after him the way I'd like, but I do leave out water for him and generally hope he's doing alright.

Homebirth Midwife biggrinbounce.gif

After 4 m/c, our stillheart.gif is here!

#9 of 9 Old 01-22-2009, 01:35 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minky View Post
I say this as a mama and a cat lover--you call them yours, but you're not providing vet care for them. Bloody, scabby patches aren't something you should wait to see if it goes away. "Your" cats need to see a vet. They are suffering.

If you're not prepared to do this, you should rehome the cats or have them euthanised.
I think we have to accept that we have very different lifestyles and cultures - I don't have the money to take cats that just hang around to the vet, this is spain strays are everywhere, heaven knows I've picked up my fair share of stray dogs and looked after them, spent money I can't afford on them. As a mama - soon to be for a second time - I have my priorities.

If you'd care to donate the money I have a paypal account.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page