Help! My rats stink. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-24-2009, 10:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've only had them since November, so I don't know if it's normal for them to smell this bad. I sure hope not. I clean their cage very thoroughly once a week, but no matter how much I scrub everything, even the table the cage sits on, it still stinks. I just cleaned it and it still smells gross. : The weird thing is that I can't figure out exactly what about it smells. When I clean the cage I smell everything after I've washed it and alone, the different pieces don't seem to smell. But I get it all put together and the general area still smells gross.

Any ideas? They're awesome pets, I just wish they didn't smell so bad.

ETA: I should clarify that the rats themselves don't smell, it's just the cage/cage area.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-24-2009, 10:48 PM

What is your set-up? Bedding? Nesting material?

I have some thoughts, but my little guy wants my attention right now.

Will be back later.

homeschool.gif mom to dd (11) read.gifand dd (9) crochetsmilie.gif and ds (3) bikenew.gif and  dog2.gif(x2)
Old 01-24-2009, 11:00 PM - Thread Starter

My cage is similar to this one:
http://www.martinscages.com/images/full/h-600hr.jpg

I use the critter care bedding.
Old 01-24-2009, 11:29 PM

I think some smell is inevitable.

After you clean the cage, you could rinse in vinegar. We use straight vinegar in a spray bottle to wipe out our rat cabinet. It helps a lot. Vinegar will corrode metal, though, so it might not be such a great idea for metal cages.

You can spot clean more frequently. We use litter boxes (plastic take out containers held down w/velcro) & clean them daily. We use yesterday's news in the litter boxes. The rats are so-so about using the box. They do their business there about 75% of the time.

We use compost-able and washable stuff in our cabinet. The hammocks are just old cloth diapers with grommets in the corners--easy to wash. They get funky pretty fast. In colder weather I give them smallish cardboard boxes to nest in. They get funky too, so I just replace them as necessary/as fresh boxes are available.

We feed our rats all kinds of stuff--commercial rat blocks when we're busy, homemade rat diet when we have the time. I have noticed that they smell a lot better when we are feeding them better.

homeschool.gif mom to dd (11) read.gifand dd (9) crochetsmilie.gif and ds (3) bikenew.gif and  dog2.gif(x2)
Old 01-25-2009, 12:32 AM

Try cleaning with hydrogen peroxide and vinegar.

Nicole - )0( unschooling mama to Lilahblahblah.gif (12/21/05) and Cianwild.gif (9/21/07) as well as 3 dog2.gif 2 cat.gif,  4 rats, chicken3.gif and ducks

Old 01-25-2009, 12:56 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll try the peroxide and vinegar. Where do you get the velcro litter boxes? Do you have to make them yourself?

User Tag List