dog hairs everywhere, concerned about our health - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 01-28-2009, 08:37 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm wondering if it's a health hazard to be honest. Dog hairs are everywhere! It's driving me mad, she's only a small jack russell terrier yet she loses a huge amount of hair. I vacume the carpets daily or every other day of the entire home, I have a smaller hand held type vacume I use to get hairs off the sofas daily too. However they still seem to be around too much.

Sometimes I will see a dog hair floating in mine or my son's drinks!:Puke I find them in our food, inside the oven, in the sink, on towels, on the skin on our faces. :Puke I have even found dog hair inside my eye and very close to ds's eyes too. :Puke Also the dog never goes into my son's bedroom, yet because the hairs stick to clothing, I still find dog hairs inside his bed and on his pillows.

I'm worried this isn't good for our health. When at home my DS seems to be constantly snorting, and having mucus in the back of his nose which im guessing is caused by the dog hairs?

I love my dog to death, but im seriously becoming concerned and frustrated about this. Can anyone advise me please?
#2 of 10 Old 01-28-2009, 10:20 AM

I have a terrier mix. She sheds like crazy. I am constantly vacuming and Dusty. A air purifier does help tremendously. I have 2 of them going most all day, 1 in the living room and one in the computer room.

There is one in our bedroom but we do not use it that much.
I got rid of our large living room carpet, it was like a magnet for the dog hair, I also have this awsome brush , its rubber , that gets hair of furniture like you wouldnt believe, I bought it at the grocery store for $2.99.

For some reason the majority of the hair collects at where the walls meet the floor. I figure I need to sweep every day what difference does it make if I use the vacume too.
as for the other rooms in the house, the dogs rarely go in them, like the girls room, theres to many things to eat up there, although they do go up there supervised, but not often.
my bedroom, they dont go there, b.c both dogs would want to sleep on our bed, and thats to much dog.

they can go in the kitchen unless im cooking...
#3 of 10 Old 01-28-2009, 01:54 PM

We don't have an infant, but if dog hair was hazardous to our health I'm sure we would all be dead by now. One of our dogs is a double-coated mix and I joke that she's insulating our home for the winter.

I find dog hair in all the places you list, but I guess I'm just used to it. I'm not much of a germa-phobe either though, so YMMV.
#4 of 10 Old 01-28-2009, 01:54 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
After a lifetime of living with dogs, and dog hairs everywhere (including in our food sometimes!) I can tell you it's not a health risk, unless you are allergic (and I am, but have pretty well immunized myself by now). The only thing I can tell you is give frequent baths/brush outs, and vaccuum a ton!

Mom to two beautiful boys, now in school to be a therapist and help other women with PPD.  

#5 of 10 Old 01-28-2009, 01:59 PM

Same here! I vacume just about every day, and dust every day too. Be sure to change out your AC filter offten, and dust your ceiling fans. We dont let our dog on the furniture just for this reason, we do let her on the bed, but we wash our devet cover just about every week.

Just a little tip, you might think about changing your dogs food. We use Nurto and it helps a ton, and we get a Omega suplement for her too to add to her food, and it makes a HUGE diffrence, i would say cuts the shedding in half if not more and her coat is always super shiny.

Melanie- Mama to my super hero daughter superhero.gif bravely battling brain cancer. ribbongrey.gif ribbongold.gif  www.fightformaddie.com  and expecting 1sttri.gif 1/13!!!!

#6 of 10 Old 01-28-2009, 08:56 PM

My gordon sheds A LOT!!! I sweep and vacuum, but there is dog hair everywhere. It's impossible to get it all. I know that long after Lance is gone, there will still be long black hairs all over my house!

Erin, mom to Amelia Rose:, 6/15/06 and Lily Grace, 6/7/09; wife to Phil since 10/9/04
#7 of 10 Old 01-29-2009, 12:29 AM

The running joke in our family is that we have two "german shedders." My kids are at that age where word play is high comedy.

Sometimes it annoys me, sometimes I'm embarrassed, but really, I never actually worry about it.

It's just dog hair.

homeschool.gif mom to dd (11) read.gifand dd (9) crochetsmilie.gif and ds (3) bikenew.gif and  dog2.gif(x2)
#8 of 10 Old 01-29-2009, 12:41 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola_ View Post
snip.... if dog hair was hazardous to our health I'm sure we would all be dead by now. ....I find dog hair in all the places you list, but I guess I'm just used to it. I'm not much of a germa-phobe either though, so YMMV.
Yup. Between the dogs, cat and furry humans we have so much hair everywhere that it has a name. Dd1 greets it as she pulls hair out of the baby's mouth. I'm sure unless there's an allergy involved it's not a health issue.
#9 of 10 Old 01-31-2009, 03:44 AM

Dog hair is on the menu around here.

Though if your dog is shedding THAT much you should look into the food!!!! Dusi is a double-coated ChowChow mix - which means LOTS of hair, but I don't think it is at all like you describe.

Dogs should blow their coat twice a year. During the big shedding seasons (coat blows) I have to vacuum every day, but in the "off-season" I can cut down to once a week. Obviously you don't get such a relief which is why you should look into a better food. Preferably grain-free.

Things I recomend:
1- Raw feeding!!!
2- Omega 3 supplement fish oil
3- Oster Shedding rake
#10 of 10 Old 01-31-2009, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneKnight View Post

... you should look into a better food. Preferably grain-free.

Things I recomend:
1- Raw feeding!!!
2- Omega 3 supplement fish oil
3- Oster Shedding rake
:

She said what I was going to say.

If it helps, kids who grow up with dogs aren't as likely to develop allergies to them. (I recently read an anecdotal study at our allergist's office that said this wasn't necessarily true of cats.) It's the dander that's usually the allergen, not the hair. And while the hair probably doesn't have any (or much) nutritional value, it shouldn't do any harm. And it should pass right through. Is that comforting?

I keep my dog out of the kids' rooms, except with special permission. He's also not allowed in the dining room or in any room while we're eating. It helps (if only in my head).

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page