12 year old dog having trouble getting up - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 16 Old 02-08-2009, 03:25 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My 12 year old lab/shephard is having trouble getting up. We are concerned she is having arthritic pain...although never diagnosed with arthritis. We moved about 6 months ago and she has had a hard time in our new home with the floors and stairs. (Marble and tile) she slides and falls a lot. She pushes her nails out when going up the stairs which makes it more slippery. We've covered the stairs which helps some. Maybe she hurt herself in a fall? Anyway, wondering what we can give her for some pain management. My 8 yr old "spoke " with her and she told him she was tired and "achey". She still goes on a 30 min walk everyday.

Sorry this is so choppy- sleep deprived!
#2 of 16 Old 02-08-2009, 01:54 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I am sure she has arthritis. Most dogs at that age do. You can give aspirin to dogs, if I remember correctly, but I am not sure of the dosage. The best thing you can do for her is give her a nice warm soft place to lie down, and maybe add a supplement like Glucosamine and Chondroitin to her diet. There is a great one you can get from the vet but the name escapes me now...

Also, at her age, I would have NO trouble giving Rimadyl for pain. At her age, it's more important to think of immediate comfort than long-term side effects. Rimadyl is not something I like for a young dog, unless the benefits outweigh the risks, but for a 12 year old dog who is clearly in pain, as yours is, I think it is really the kindest thing to do.

Please make sure you do medicate her somehow, and make her comfortable in these last years of her life.

Mom to two beautiful boys, now in school to be a therapist and help other women with PPD.  

#3 of 16 Old 02-08-2009, 02:01 PM

I'd cut down on the walks. Maybe just do 2 ten minute walks. I have an old husky with sore hips and knees. Cutting back on her exercise when she is feeling sore definitely helps.
#4 of 16 Old 02-09-2009, 03:00 AM - Thread Starter

any idea how much aspirin to give her? Shes about 80 lb. Not tylenol or motrin but aspirin-yes.

Also, the walks- I agree. SHejust looks forward to them and we have done it for 12 years. I will try this and get some aspirin.
#5 of 16 Old 02-09-2009, 03:11 AM
2xy

Speaking of nails....make sure you keep her nails trimmed so she doesn't slide around so much, and so her weight is distributed properly on her feet. Long nails can contribute to poor posture, which will make arthritis worse.

I don't know what they're called, but I've seen people with some sort of "sling" contraption that goes under the dogs belly, and the person holds it by its reins....it's kind of like a hammock that supports the dog while it walks.
#6 of 16 Old 02-09-2009, 06:13 AM

If you can afford it, it might be a good idea to get it checked out by a vet.

Our elderly dog had a similar problem... and yes, she did have arthritis, but on xray they also found a nasty agressive tumour in her upper leg bone. So, it is possible there could be another underlying problem...

Hoping the best for you and your doggy!
#7 of 16 Old 02-09-2009, 03:50 PM
spu

have you had her spleen checked? Our 11.5 yo lab went through the same things, and we chocked it up to her aging hips/knees, our new house's hardwood stairs, etc. She ended up having hemangiosarcoma - cancer of the spleen - and we didn't know until it burst. Labs are prone to this, so it might be worth looking into.

twins 7.02 ⢠DS 10.06 ⢠OMG #4 1.08 ⢠ebf + tandem nursing!
#8 of 16 Old 02-11-2009, 02:55 AM - Thread Starter

ok, we are going to the vet! In the meantime, the aspirin has helped a lot....but Ive read some conflicting info on the internet. I also think some things you dont find until its too late and I dont want to drag her to the vet but so much. I'll update- thanks
#9 of 16 Old 02-11-2009, 03:44 AM
Dar

My dog was the same weight, and his dosage was one 325 mg tablet, once a day. Be sure to get the buffered kind, because otherwise aspirin can be really tough on their stomachs. We also gave him glucosamine/chondroitin... the dog kind is really expensive so we just used the human stuff, which we got at Costco... my dog was a lab so he'd happily eat just about anything, even a pill like that. He actually considered it a treat... but you could also wrap it in a bit of hot dog or something. It did help.... he rarely needed the aspirin, only on a few very cold winter days. His arthritis was much better in warmer weather.

Covering the stairs is good, although by the end of my dog's life I had to carry him down stairs... luckily we only had a short set, to get out to the yard, and he could get himself up again. A warm, comfy place to rest is also important...

spu, my dog eventually died of hemangiosarcoma, too.... if that's the problem, you can probably palpate his abdomen and feel the tumor. I could, anyway... although by that time he'd stopped eating and was about 15 and had a few chronic conditions, and we wound up euthanizing him rather than putting him through the trauma of surgery. Anyway, if you're worried, I'd just roll him over and palpate his abdomen for a lump that shouldn;t be there... I remember that pale gums were another sign of that...

Dar

fambedsingle1.gifSingle mom to Rain (1/93) , grad student, and world traveler earth.gif

#10 of 16 Old 02-11-2009, 11:03 AM

My dog is 15-16, and a couple of years ago we did lots of testing to find out why she was having trouble getting up and moving around. Turns out she had an old break, but virtually no arthritis. We used Rimadyl for a long time, and I think that helped. But now she is completely off of it, and doing well. We switched to a better dog food, and give her a glucosamine/chondroitin supplement and a fish oil supplement every day. Rimadyl can have nasty effects on older dogs, so I wouldn't use it unless absolutely necessary. My dog had lowered kidney function, and after stopping the R, that disappeared.

I think a thorough vet check up is always a good idea. Dogs are good at hiding pain.

ETA: We had to stop letting our dog go up the stairs. It was hard at first, but it just wasn't safe for her. She kept falling.
#11 of 16 Old 02-15-2009, 02:07 AM - Thread Starter

Just an update....Took ANgel to the vet. He doesnt think its her hips, he thinks its arthritis in her lower spine. He wants x rays to be sure (next week). SHe is unhappy abouther shortened walks.....our problem is its downhill on the way out and uphill coming home. We have added glucosamine and fish oil to her diet. Gave her aspirin for a few days...seemed to hlp. The vet gave me some pain med for use "as needed".

Now...I just noticed my cat has lost tons of weight...shes about 15-16. We knew she was loosing weight, but just noticed she's lost TONS over the past month. Off we go again. When shes breathing, we can see her sides caving in. SHes so elusive we were shocked when we saw her yesterday. Man, senior pets--heart breaking
#12 of 16 Old 02-15-2009, 10:05 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Think of Winter View Post
My dog is 15-16, and a couple of years ago we did lots of testing to find out why she was having trouble getting up and moving around. Turns out she had an old break, but virtually no arthritis. We used Rimadyl for a long time, and I think that helped. But now she is completely off of it, and doing well. We switched to a better dog food, and give her a glucosamine/chondroitin supplement and a fish oil supplement every day. Rimadyl can have nasty effects on older dogs, so I wouldn't use it unless absolutely necessary. My dog had lowered kidney function, and after stopping the R, that disappeared.

I think a thorough vet check up is always a good idea. Dogs are good at hiding pain.

ETA: We had to stop letting our dog go up the stairs. It was hard at first, but it just wasn't safe for her. She kept falling.

Rimadyl can do that to any age dog, not just older ones, which is why I said if you have to give it, an older dog is the only one I would really do it with, and only if the benefit outweighs the potential side effects, one of which is lowered kidney function. But if it makes the dog more comfortable in the end, it's worth it.

Mom to two beautiful boys, now in school to be a therapist and help other women with PPD.  

#13 of 16 Old 02-15-2009, 10:41 AM

We've had great success with acupuncture for my older GSD for arthritis in his back. He also gets regualr Adequan injections and takes Synovi G3 chews.

-just some stuff to check into.
Good luck.
#14 of 16 Old 02-15-2009, 05:53 PM

I'm thinking good happy thoughts for both your dog and cat. It's so wonderful that your animals have made it to this age......always a testiment to the good care they have recieved

Tricia, married to DH. 2MC's & 4 yrs ttc...finally mom to Andrew6/06 and Benjamin 10/09. Adopted bro & sis 2002. My 2 fav. words: Spay and Neuter! I'm an Ultimate Viewer, 2010!

#15 of 16 Old 02-15-2009, 06:43 PM

My Abigail is just about 15 and is healthy as a horse except for bad arthritis. She takes Synovi G3 chews, tramadol, and deramaxx. The deramaxx might be just starting to hurt her kidneys so we've cut it down to the smallest amount that what we can get away with. I hate that it might be shortening her life. OTOH, without it, she was in enough pain that we were seriously considering "quality of life" issues and thinking about the possibility that we might have to put her down to end her suffering. So far, she's doing really well!
#16 of 16 Old 09-05-2013, 09:57 AM

Another thing that we use for our 12 yr old dog (Great Pyrenese) 90+lbs are shoes.  In addition to the aspirin, glucosamine supplements, she'd always been on organic dog food and decrease of her activities, we got dog shoes that have rubber soles on them.  Our hardwood and tile floors were just an accident waiting to happen.  She hated them at first, but now can navigate around without so much risk.  We do take them off when she goes outside and sometimes when we know she'll be resting and doesn't need them.  These are like the one's we use:

http://www.alldogboots.com/Waterproof-Dog-Snow-Rain-Boots-Blue-p/favblbl.htm

Thanks for sharing & best of luck to all our aging babies and their masters!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page