What to line floor of outdoor dog pen with? Ideas? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 02-11-2009, 11:19 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi! We're finally building our dog her own play yard. Its going to be a fenced enclosure, currently grass, partially sunny and partially shady. Any ideas what to lay down on the ground for her to pee/poop on? Her pee ruins grass and turns it into a smelly mud slick, and the idea is to make it easy to clean up after her and not have her track poop on her very furry feet. We were thinking of laying down straw or wood chips. Its close to the back door so ideally it would be easy to scoop so we can pick it up and it won't stink up the back door area. Any ideas? Right now she goes on the grass and its soooo gross picking it up out of grass....just makes a huge sticky mess no matter how we scoop it (Gross TMI I know!).

TIA!
#2 of 9 Old 02-11-2009, 12:07 PM

Depending on what you want to spend, you may want to consider some type of stone. I have seen some with palm sized river stones that look very nice and clean up easily. You just scoop and then once every so often, depending on how often it rains, you hose it off. I would love to do part of our yard like that, but I can't ever decide what part!

Erin, mom to Amelia Rose:, 6/15/06 and Lily Grace, 6/7/09; wife to Phil since 10/9/04
#3 of 9 Old 02-11-2009, 12:16 PM

I agree with stone.

and
#4 of 9 Old 02-11-2009, 12:40 PM - Thread Starter

I didn't even think of being able to hose it off. That's a great idea! She's never had to go potty on that kind of surface before, but I imagine she could get used to it. It would probably be nice and warm in the sun, too.

Am I too interested in my dog's pooping comfort?
#5 of 9 Old 02-11-2009, 12:40 PM

a weed/grass barrier with gravel on top
#6 of 9 Old 02-11-2009, 12:57 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Pea gravel or stone. Flagstone or brick pavers are good, too, with sand underneath for drainage.

Mom to two beautiful boys, now in school to be a therapist and help other women with PPD.  

#7 of 9 Old 02-11-2009, 01:33 PM

As a side note, if your pup is not having firm stools I'd probably do a vet check and consider a change of food.
#8 of 9 Old 02-11-2009, 02:32 PM

:
#9 of 9 Old 02-11-2009, 03:58 PM - Thread Starter

Oh she's an old girl...but was abused, so she is very timid and doesn't like to go far. She stops at the bottom of the stairs, does her business, and darts back inside. Pooping at the bottom of the stairs is not the best place to go!! Her stools are fine, its just that its spring, and rainy, and not very sunny yet so it just tends to be soggy by the time I get out there to clean it up. Hence the play yard, so she has her own safe spot and we don't step in something if we don't get out there every day to patrol.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page