HELP! TMI!!! There's something wrong with my dog's butt!!!!! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 19 Old 03-01-2009, 01:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
TMI alert!

Last night and then this morning, I noticed my dog, Princess, was licking her butt alot, so I took a good look at it. It's very red (the whole butt area) is very red (firetruck red) and swollen to almost twice the size it usually is and her butt hole is very swollen and kinda odd shaped. I don't know if the odd shaped was from the swollenness or because there's something wrong with her actual butt hole. She also had quite a bit of blood on and around her butt hole. I gave her a bath, which she tolerated as usual, and gave extra attention to cleaning the butt area. She flinched and cried every time I touched her backend, and she's usually not a baby about things.

What is this?! Could it just be from severe constipation (she always takes forever to poop) or could it be something more serious? She usually poops every other walk, or sometimes every walk, so at the latest, she was "due" to poop at six this morning, but hasn't. The last time was dinnertime last night, only a little and slightly runny. The walk before that, everything seemed normal. (Also, she just turned four, and this is only the second time she's ever had any type of illness- the other time she had a cold, about two years ago, so she's always been very healthy.) She's also a 28 pound American Eskimo, if that matters.

Should I call the vet tomorrow? What could this be? Is my other dog, Tara, in danger of catching it, whatever it is? Is this gonna be expensive to treat? What can I do for her for the pain and/or discomfort (she doesn't seem to be in pain now, but who can tell?) until I get her to a vet? HELP!

I pray for the day Family Court recognizes that CHILDREN have rights, parents only have PRIVILEGES.  Only then, will I know my child is safe.
#2 of 19 Old 03-01-2009, 02:57 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
You should take her to a vet immediately. If you or a LO was in pain with an inflamed rectum that and dipping blood you would go to an ER, just because your dog is an animal does not mean it has no feelings and should be allowed to suffer.
#3 of 19 Old 03-01-2009, 03:04 PM

I don't have a dog and I'm not a vet, but the first thing I thought of was hemmorhoids. I'd definitely take her to the vet if it's that bad.
#4 of 19 Old 03-01-2009, 03:34 PM

It sounds like she may have impacted anal glands. If she cried when you touched it, it must really hurt as dogs normally don't show pain that much. Off to the vet!
#5 of 19 Old 03-01-2009, 03:37 PM

Could also be a prolapsed rectum...I really agree you need to take her immediately.

He who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe is as good as dead; his eyes are closed.  ~Albert Einstein
#6 of 19 Old 03-01-2009, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Could also be a prolapsed rectum
That's what I was thinking and if so it could be to late to do anything since this has been going on since last night.:
#7 of 19 Old 03-01-2009, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola_ View Post
It sounds like she may have impacted anal glands. If she cried when you touched it, it must really hurt as dogs normally don't show pain that much. Off to the vet!
That's what it sounds like to me too. Impacted anal glands can actually rupture. To the vet before that happens!
#8 of 19 Old 03-01-2009, 05:26 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Girl In The Fire View Post
You should take her to a vet immediately. If you or a LO was in pain with an inflamed rectum that and dipping blood you would go to an ER, just because your dog is an animal does not mean it has no feelings and should be allowed to suffer.
Geez, I never said I wasn't gonna take her to the vet or that I didn't care that she was suffering!!! I'm trying to figure out what the problem is, how serious it is (the vet's not opened until tomorrow, has not answered his messages and there are no emergency vets available within a 100 mile radius this Sunday afternoon!), if I should be worried about her DYING on me tonight and how to make her comfortable enough until the vet opens tomorrow! I'm asking for help, not critisizm and condemnation! I love and care about all my dogs and their feelings, and especially this dog, we've bonded with eachother like I've never bonded with a dog before. Perhaps I'm overreacting to your post because I'm so worried about her, but the last thing I need right now is someone accusing me of not caring if my dog is suffering and in pain! My dogs are my other children. It's KILLING me that she's hurting and I can't do a thing about it! I didn't even know there was a problem last night, and now I'm beating myself up over being too busy to be as observant as I usually am with the dogs, and your post certainly is not helping. I'd take her pain for my own if I could.

I pray for the day Family Court recognizes that CHILDREN have rights, parents only have PRIVILEGES.  Only then, will I know my child is safe.
#9 of 19 Old 03-01-2009, 07:58 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Harley, are you still in Westchester, NY? If you google you may be able to find an emergency vet that you wouldn't otherwise know about.

Looking through my Home Veternairy Handbook it sounds like it could be an "Anal Sac Infection" or "Anal Sac Abcess". You might google those. I'm certainly not an expert, though. It might be worth even calling the emergency vet that's 100 miles away. Does your regular vet's phone line have a referral for an emergency vet? Mine does.

Hope she's okay and feeling better soon!

Mamatreehugger.gif to two girl beans, Feb 2001hearts.gif and Nov 2003coolshine.gif . DH geek.gif, and two crazydog2.gifdog2.gif . Running on biodiesel since 2004!

"All you fascists are bound to lose" — Woody Guthrie
#10 of 19 Old 03-01-2009, 09:38 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by beanma View Post
Harley, are you still in Westchester, NY? If you google you may be able to find an emergency vet that you wouldn't otherwise know about.

Looking through my Home Veternairy Handbook it sounds like it could be an "Anal Sac Infection" or "Anal Sac Abcess". You might google those. I'm certainly not an expert, though. It might be worth even calling the emergency vet that's 100 miles away. Does your regular vet's phone line have a referral for an emergency vet? Mine does.

Hope she's okay and feeling better soon!
Yes, I'm still in Westchester. I googled, wthout much luck, but someone just sent me a private message with an emergency vet numbers further away from me, which I will be calling in a minute. My regular vet usually will call back within an hour or two if you leave a message, but three messages today and still no call back. I'm wondering if their phone service is having issues somehow? Possibly good news- I've done alot of research today on anal sac issues and prolapsed anuses (or whatever it's called) and I've seen more pictures of dog anuses today than I ever wanted to see in a lifetime, and I'm certainly no expert, but it really doesn't look at all like a prolapsed anus at all and does look much like an anal sac issue. Hopefully my guess is correct and that's the lesser of the problems, the easiest to treat? Am I correct? (For her sake, I hope so.)

#11 of 19 Old 03-01-2009, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Yup, get her to the vet asap. Definitely sounds like an anal gland problem.

Newly single, chronically sleep deprived mama to my little wild thang wild.gif, born 11/17/12 

fly-by-nursing1.gif

#12 of 19 Old 03-02-2009, 09:19 AM

Harley, how is she today? Hoping things have improved.

Mamatreehugger.gif to two girl beans, Feb 2001hearts.gif and Nov 2003coolshine.gif . DH geek.gif, and two crazydog2.gifdog2.gif . Running on biodiesel since 2004!

#13 of 19 Old 03-02-2009, 10:20 AM

and : to you and your sweet doggie.

ETA: Hope she's feeling better soon!
#14 of 19 Old 03-02-2009, 11:02 PM - Thread Starter

Well, it's been a long 24 hours, but, long story short, it was ruptured impacted anal glands. She's been lanced, cleaned stitched and on antibiotics. She almost took off the vet's hand (can't say I blame her, cutting into her sore butt!) and was shaking (from fear- she has anxiety issues) so badly, the vet wanted to keep her for observation 'cause he was afraid she would go into shock or something. I insisted on bringing her home, because I know my dog (and how attached she is to me!) and I knew the bed place for her would be in familiar surroundings and with her "Mommy". She's trying not to move much, and literally sticking less than a foot from me at the same time, but she's okay- her favorite thing in the world is snow and we had a giant Nor'Ester last night and today, and even though she must still be in pain, she stopped and rolled in the snow for a long time the last time I walked her. Last night, she didn't even care that it was snowing. Hopefully by tomorrow (or the next day?), she'll be completely back to her old self.

#15 of 19 Old 03-02-2009, 11:39 PM

You must be so relieved!!
#16 of 19 Old 03-02-2009, 11:41 PM

Glad to hear the report. Hope she's all the way back to her old self soon.

#17 of 19 Old 03-03-2009, 12:33 AM

I'm so glad you got her seen and she's feeling better!

Between the constipation you mentioned and the anal glands you may want to consider switching to a different food, as both of these can definitely be food caused. At the very least I would start adding a small amount of 100% pure pumpkin to her food (fibre helps with constipation and expressing anal glands naturally during pooping). About a tablespoon per day should do it for a dog her size.
#18 of 19 Old 03-03-2009, 02:07 AM

Quote:
At the very least I would start adding a small amount of 100% pure pumpkin to her food (fibre helps with constipation and expressing anal glands naturally during pooping). About a tablespoon per day should do it for a dog her size.
:

Sweet Potato can be helpful too!

I'm so glad she's on the road to recovery!

He who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe is as good as dead; his eyes are closed.  ~Albert Einstein
#19 of 19 Old 03-03-2009, 09:40 AM

I'm so glad she's home with you! :

I hope she's feeling much better soon!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page