Do you leave kids alone with dogs? - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

View Poll Results: Do you leave your DC alone with your dog?
Yes 69 47.92%
Yes - if DC are "older" (please define older) 39 27.08%
Sometimes 13 9.03%
No 23 15.97%
Voters: 144. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 81 Old 03-09-2009, 01:22 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Purity♥Lake~ View Post
I wouldn't call myself dedicated. But yeah, never. My girls follow me to the bathroom.
So, i see your girls are about 2 and 4 yrs old? If your 4 yr old is happily playing with her toys, or maybe your two yr old is napping on the couch (dont know if this happens but hypothetically), and you need to go pee, you round them up and take them with you? Every time? i get that with a toddler (they can get into "trouble" in record time)...but a four yr old? at what point (age) would you feel ok going to the bathroom without taking your child with you?

whatever people want to do is fine, if thats how they choose to set up their life, and i do think its a good idea to not leave young children alone with dogs as a general rule (esp toddlers)...but the idea that its a strange concept to leave children "alone" (not talking about just with a dog, but at all as a PP seemed to find unusual)...is, well, strange to me. Sometimes i go to the bathroom just so i can find a minute or two without a toddler demanding my attention (though he's usually waiting for me right outside.)

Katherine

Katherine, single homeschooling mom to Boy Genius (17) geek.gif  Thing One (6) and Thing Two (6) fencing.gif and one outgoing Girl (12) bikenew.gif and hoping for more through foster care and adoption homebirth.jpgadoptionheart-1.gif 
#62 of 81 Old 03-09-2009, 01:35 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by queenjane View Post
So, i see your girls are about 2 and 4 yrs old? If your 4 yr old is happily playing with her toys, or maybe your two yr old is napping on the couch (dont know if this happens but hypothetically), and you need to go pee, you round them up and take them with you? Every time? i get that with a toddler (they can get into "trouble" in record time)...but a four yr old? at what point (age) would you feel ok going to the bathroom without taking your child with you?
Ack, don't make her older than she is! Yeah, Abigail will be 4 at the end of May. Sophia is 2.5 years old. Sophia doesn't normally nap. Neither of them have napped very often since they turned 2 years old. They almost always are playing together. They seem to prefer each other over any toys they have. I don't take my girls to the bathroom with me, they follow me, every single time.

But let's say, hypothetically, that one is napping, the other is playing and I need to go in the bathroom and they're not following me (It's the only room in the house I can't see into from the bedroom or the living area). In that case, I'd put Brittni in her room (yes, my dog and cats have their own room). The cat litter box is in there as well as the cats' and dog's food and water to keep my girls out of them and give my elderly pets their respite from the girls.

and oh yeah, my toddlers (young children?) get into trouble in a nano second. Regardless of the concern about leaving them alone with the dog, I just don't trust either one of them alone ever. Right now they are playing with the bed blanket in the hallway and I can see them, but as I type I keep looking down there and listening to them to make sure they're not doing something like pull all the clothes out of the drawer, laying on each other while the other protests, or whatever they seem to come up with.

Katreena, peace.gif 39 year old Alaskan treehugger.gif Mama to 1 hearts.gif and 1 lady.gif gd.gif

#63 of 81 Old 03-09-2009, 04:39 AM

Quote:
I suppose there are some dedicated people who truly never leave them alone....but not even to pee? To run into the kitchen to fill up a sippy cup? To answer the doorbell when the kid and dog are in the kitchen? Never? Really?
Never. Really. My house is well baby proofed, but kids are inventive and things happen. What if he tripped and fell against the doorjamb? What if he slammed a door on his finger? What if he fell off of the couch in a bad way? (all of which he has done with me right there, some of which resulted in immediate trips to ER)

I'm not a nervous first time mom, he is my fifth. My first is 21 years old.

Now, if I can see him I consider that I am 'with him'. So, say if I'm in the bathroom but he's in the hallway 10 feet away from me, I consider that he's not alone. He's never anywhere that I can't see him though.

ETA: If he was in my bedroom, which I can't see into from the bathroom, I would scoop him up and bring him along while I peed. If he were asleep on my bed (which is also his bed), I would leave him alone to pee but would leave all doors open and bring the dog with me so the dog wouldn't get a bright idea to wake him up for company

If he were asleep on the couch and I had to pee, I would put the coffee table against the couch so that he couldn't fall off of it.
#64 of 81 Old 03-10-2009, 08:11 PM

Wow, I guess I lose my good mum award.

Yes, we leave our older dd (age six) alone with my parent's dog. She's a four year old Bernese Mountain dog.

And furthermore, my six year old and fourteen month old have free range over the upstairs of the house.

Not only are they allowed to go where they please, I'm actually ~rarely~ in the same room as them.

They watch TV in my room, play in their room, color in the living room. I may be doing dishes in the kitchen, folding laundry in the bathroom, etc.

And trust me - my one year old is B.U.S.Y... I still don't follow them around.

Full time working mom to two bright and busy little girls! treehugger.gif
#65 of 81 Old 03-10-2009, 09:24 PM

Busy? I wouldn't use that word to describe my 2 year old. That is far, far too tame a word for him

I'm quite positive that he would be dead by now if I didn't watch him. For real.
#66 of 81 Old 03-10-2009, 10:31 PM

Quote:

I suppose there are some dedicated people who truly never leave them alone....but not even to pee? To run into the kitchen to fill up a sippy cup? To answer the doorbell when the kid and dog are in the kitchen? Never? Really?
Nope, never.

single mommy to identical twin girls (3/06) Non-traditional mama just : through life.
#67 of 81 Old 03-12-2009, 03:13 AM

There are other solutions beyond taking the kids with you to the bathroom. Take the dog.

My dog follows me EVERYWHERE. If he's sleeping, passed out completely and I move to use the bathroom, he wakes up immediately and trots after me. I didn't train him for this - he just does it.

Now, I can tell him to stay in another room while I go elsewhere, and he'll stay there. But, otherwise, he'll follow me around. So, if you have a dog like that, it's really not hard to avoid leaving them alone with kids.

I don't know if this is a GSD thing, but it was the same thing growing up. All 5 of the dogs would follow my mom. Everywhere. And we had a small bathroom, so you can imagine how fun that was for her, lol.

First special delivery - April 2010 :
#68 of 81 Old 03-12-2009, 03:32 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor View Post
There are other solutions beyond taking the kids with you to the bathroom. Take the dog. .
I think thats a good idea. I used to foster a dog (i think he might have been some kind of herding dog)...everytime i would look at him, he would be looking at me. He watched my every move. He would get up and follow me too. One smart dog!

I was mostly responding to the poster that said she didnt get why people would ever leave a baby "alone" (not even to pee), dog or not. (Which i guess is probably a thread for the general Parenting forum, not here.)

Katherine

Katherine, single homeschooling mom to Boy Genius (17) geek.gif  Thing One (6) and Thing Two (6) fencing.gif and one outgoing Girl (12) bikenew.gif and hoping for more through foster care and adoption homebirth.jpgadoptionheart-1.gif 
#69 of 81 Old 03-12-2009, 04:26 AM

Our dog has passed on now, but never in the early years! As my son is now 14, certainly during later years it didn't worry me.
#70 of 81 Old 03-12-2009, 01:28 PM

Quote:
There are other solutions beyond taking the kids with you to the bathroom. Take the dog.

My dog follows me EVERYWHERE. If he's sleeping, passed out completely and I move to use the bathroom, he wakes up immediately and trots after me. I didn't train him for this - he just does it.

Now, I can tell him to stay in another room while I go elsewhere, and he'll stay there. But, otherwise, he'll follow me around. So, if you have a dog like that, it's really not hard to avoid leaving them alone with kids.

I don't know if this is a GSD thing, but it was the same thing growing up. All 5 of the dogs would follow my mom. Everywhere. And we had a small bathroom, so you can imagine how fun that was for her, lol.
My dogs are the same way. It makes it really easy to keep an eye on everyone.
#71 of 81 Old 03-12-2009, 04:31 PM

Quote:
My dog follows me EVERYWHERE.

I don't know if this is a GSD thing
That or a herding breed thing. My dog is at least half german shepherd and she has always followed me everywhere.

Katreena, peace.gif 39 year old Alaskan treehugger.gif Mama to 1 hearts.gif and 1 lady.gif gd.gif

#72 of 81 Old 03-12-2009, 05:07 PM

I have an 11 year old Border Collie and when I first got him 10 years ago, he and I had a talk. I never thought twice about leaving my middle son, then 1 1/2 with him while I was in the kitchen or had to run to the bathroom. He has put up with a lot, but that is his temperament. He has herded the boys away from danger, has protected them and me from strangers and has even put himself between me and two vicious dogs that attacked us in a parking lot.
He still will not let anyone in the house without my permission.
My little lab shepherd mix is the happy go lucky type. I leave the boys alone with her as well. If she doesn't like something, she will redirect their attention or she will just up and leave. She has her space and when she wants to be alone, she goes there.
Our Husky is a different story though. She is a pack dog and thinks herself in command second only to me. She bosses everyone around and has the vocals to do it. Would I let my kids be with her by themselves...yes. Because she gets very vocal if they do something she doesn't like. But I wouldn't let any other children stay with her by themselves.

It really depends on the dogs and the children.

Shianne
I am just me. Cert. HHP and Herbalist and mom to three wonderful home educated boys.
#73 of 81 Old 03-14-2009, 11:48 PM

Yes. Kids and dogs go all over the house here, I can't imagine being mindful of where everyone was every second of the day. The kids are somewhat ambivalent towards the dogs, and any interactions with them are gentle ones. My kids are 4 and 1 and have always been with the dogs. The dog dishes are put away from the kids (because the baby eats the dog food) and the dogs have a place to go (away from the kids) if they so desire. Honestly, I just don't think I would take the kids with me from room to room as I put the laundry away, or force (they wouldn't want to go willingly!) the dogs to do that. We are just lazy around here!
#74 of 81 Old 03-15-2009, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Purity♥Lake~ View Post
That or a herding breed thing. My dog is at least half german shepherd and she has always followed me everywhere.
yep. my aussie did it all the time, the lab rott x not so much.

eh. who needs a signature?
#75 of 81 Old 03-19-2009, 05:14 PM

I have followers too. I always chalked it up to being rescues, but they both have GSD in them as well (along with countless other breeds).

I really don't worry about it too much. I think it all depends on what you mean by "alone". I am never far... like in the kitchen for a minute while my kid is in her exersaucer around the corner in the living room (so about ten feet away, but on the other side of a partial wall). I still hear everything, and with hardwood floors I tend to always know where the dogs are.

Most often the dogs are underfoot no matter where I am, but there have been times I have come back to find my babe's hair slicked off to the side from a couple of enthusiastic dog kisses!

Wife to DH (06/10) and Mummy to DD (07/08).

#76 of 81 Old 03-21-2009, 12:45 PM
Vik

I need to agree that I believe it is NOT a good idea to leave dogs and infants/young children alone in the room with a dog. We have a black lab and she recently 'jumped' our 9 month old son. He touched her with his little finger and she just looked at him and let him 'be' there for about 5 minutes. Suddenly she jumped up and was on our son, growling, 'biting' his head and jumping on him. Yes, she was 'only' reprimanding him but she didn't growl first or get up and walk away from him, which she could have. Yes, a smarter parent would not have let the baby touch the dog. Casey has been great with our son so far and I didn't see any harm and knew that there would be no way I could always stop them 'touching' each other, so figured it was fine as a way for them to interact. BIG mistake! Dogs have their instinctive nature but it doesn't belong on being used on our tots! It's not fair to 'test' them as all dogs have a limit. A son is always put in his playyard or high chair if I need to go potty myself, or get wood, etc. Not sure how we'll handle this as time goes on as I'm a NERVOUS mommy now. To surrender dog or not, that is the question. We're ina 500 ft2 home and the dog can only get access to half that. Living up North we have snow for 5 months so keeping dog outside is no option. So, folks, don't push the canines and chance it. NOT worth it!!
#77 of 81 Old 03-22-2009, 08:49 PM

I can't even wrap my brain around not leaving your dog with your children. *scratches head* It's so foreign to me! Oh well...seems we are divided on this issue. Our dogs are a part of our family, and I trust them completely.
#78 of 81 Old 03-23-2009, 11:56 AM

I have been lucky enough to raise all three of my dogs from newborns. I also know exactly what breeds they are which is a good prediction of behavior. I have always done everything to them since I knew they would be around children, tugged on their tails, ears, blew in their faces, ruffed up their fur, stare at them directly etc. all of which I still do and they playfully accept it. I don't hurt them or anything but I want them to be used to everything. I also know my children and I know what they will and will not do to our dogs. That being said, I leave them alone together for short periods. I do have a 7 month old and I don't leave him without throwing a toy to him or something first. He would crawl all over them and unknowingly hurt them yanking on something soft so I don't push my luck there. If I were a dog, I'd bite a little kid with his superman grip!
I do not leave my children alone with other family members' dogs as they are mostly older rescues, so understandably inclined to be more nervous, and I don't know their specific breeds. Some dogs were literally bred to hurt/kill people some were culled when they would hurt people so it makes a big difference to me what's in a dog's genes.

Divorced mama to baby girl (7/5/06) and baby boy (8/5/08) Into anything fun and creative!
#79 of 81 Old 03-25-2009, 11:34 PM

My kids are 10 and 13. We've had the dog for nearly 5 years. She's 70# boxer. We leave them alone with the dog all the time.
#80 of 81 Old 03-25-2009, 11:38 PM

I was one of the "Sometimes" answers.

We don't currently have a dog now... but our previous dog bit her when she was about a year old. He bet her hard enough to require stitches above her eye and staples in her head.

Anyway... I have no problem leaving her alone with a dog...it just depends on the situation.

So... sometimes.

Jenn - Mom, Photographer, Barista 

#81 of 81 Old 03-25-2009, 11:49 PM

not completely unsupervised. she's almost 3 (child). i don't leave her unsupervised (only going into other rooms within ear shot). she can be alone in a room with our golden retriever, who is 4. with the older golden, too (who is 13). usually the child is a little terrorizing to the younger golden (who is a skiddish dog, we just got her in november). the younger golden tries to stay out of DD's way. the older dog is not intimidated, but is so tired lately she just sleeps most of the time.

with other people's dogs, or other breeds, i'd be way more cautious. it's a judgement call.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page