Need help picking between these two dogs, Post 70. - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 105 Old 03-16-2009, 01:18 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Why not get an adult dog from a breed rescue, or a mutt from a rescue, to the temperament is already known?

Heather, Mama to DS(10) DD(7.5),DD(6)
#62 of 105 Old 03-16-2009, 01:23 AM

$150 from the pound usually includes the spay/neuter- around here anyway, which is usually $200or more when done at a vet- so it really pays for itself.

Michelle -mom to Katlyn 4/00 , Jake 3/02, and Seth 5/04
#63 of 105 Old 03-16-2009, 02:22 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenmagick View Post
Well, from the dogs you list as liking, I dont know if you would be happy with a lab or golden. They are usually good dogs, but the personality is not for everyone, and they are puppies for a long, long, time Not saying dont get one, but make sure its what you are looking for and not just whats readily available. I have made that mistake before. I have a lab mix that I love dearly, and is great with the kids, etc but he is not a dog that fits me. That make sense? I have had him for over 9 years, and hes not going anywhere, but I am missing that bond with him. At the time, my DH (boyfriend at the time) said it was ok to get a puppy, so I went to a shelter and picked one out. I didnt wait and think about it. I knew I wasnt a lab person, but I fell for the cute face, and the fact that I wanted a puppy now! So, anyways, after a bunch of rambling, just make sure
Yes! this is totally it. When I think about a lab I kinda feel fear, and then I feel, eh about them. Tonight we were around our friends Dobie and he was SO gentle and wonderful it made me really like them. even though I don't like the looks of them He was so good he was with the kids constantly, and when they walked off the deck (they're not supposed to) he would follow them. it was so sweet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom0810 View Post
I don't know if you would like a Lab.

Bulldogs are not always great with kids. And they can get really big (heavy) and if they jump... look out! But not really biters, from my experience. Just big dogs who are surprisingly athletic.

Labradoodles are great. I know, I am a SHOW breeder, but I still think they are darling and have great temperaments. My aunt has one and I think she's great.

You have to go with your gut and your heart. Do the research with you head, and after that, go with the dog that pulls at you. You have to love how the dog looks, too. Temperament isn't the only thing. I can't live with dogs that aren't pretty to me. I know, it's kind of snobbish, but I just can't.
Thank you. And I totally understand the looks thing. thats why even though I think a basset hound would be good for us I don't want to get them as they kinda creep me out with their droopy eyes
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3boobykins View Post
Why not get an adult dog from a breed rescue, or a mutt from a rescue, to the temperament is already known?
My husband doesn't trust them. Our pitbull was a fantastic dog, great with EVERYONE'S kids and fantastic with our son (no warning signs of biting, which I know and understand). Our trainer would constantly let him run free with kids when we would leave him with him and at the park he was a complete favorite. Then one day out of nowhere he bit Rune's face and it was horrible. I know it can happen with dogs that you have from puppies, but for right now, it's not an option for my husband. Plus my son is still very scared of large dogs from being bit and won't tolerate anything over 20ish lbs without my holding him.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shelbean91 View Post
$150 from the pound usually includes the spay/neuter- around here anyway, which is usually $200or more when done at a vet- so it really pays for itself.
Yeah I totally get it. We wouldn't have them spay or neuter our dog though. i've known 3 people (my mother included) whose dog almost died after being spayed at the pound.

Right now, I think I'm going to wait for my tax return to come back, and then just chill a bit and contemplate. Aren't labs super hyper? I think we're really learning towards English bulldog or laberdoodle. Just nervous about the laberdoodle and the ones I saw today were 800.00. Is that typical? I don't know. I feel my heart is still broken about GSD we were getting I was going to name him Niles Crane
#64 of 105 Old 03-16-2009, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Aimee* View Post
Aren't labs super hyper? I think we're really learning towards English bulldog or laberdoodle. Just nervous about the laberdoodle and the ones I saw today were 800.00. Is that typical? I don't know. I feel my heart is still broken about GSD we were getting I was going to name him Niles Crane
Well-bred labs aren't super hyper It's the same problem you talked about with Goldens in your area. The poorly-bred ones flood the market and then people think that's what all labs are like. Mine is currently camped out on his bed - and that's what I like about the breed, ready to go when you are, but fine to chill when you're not.

Personally, I wouldn't pay $800 for a labradoodle - but I'm also of the opinion that they're nice mixed breed dogs and there are lots of those for less money with greater need in the shelter However, if the parents had all their clearances, etc. I don't think that's an unreasonable amount to pay for a puppy if knowing the parents and history of the puppy is important to your family.

I'm so sorry for your experiences with the litters last weekend, that must've been so hard on all of you
#65 of 105 Old 03-17-2009, 12:24 AM

You could get a retired greyhound- super lazy, but large in size.

Michelle -mom to Katlyn 4/00 , Jake 3/02, and Seth 5/04
#66 of 105 Old 03-17-2009, 01:48 AM

My labradoodle is from a shelter, just like many mixed breeds are, he just happens to have a fancy name . I personally WOULD pay for a labradoodle or goldendoodle before I would pay for any traditional breed. I like the mix, breed or not. I'm glad I found him at a shelter, but I wouldn't say a well bred lab or golden is any better than a labradoodle, for me the mix is better. I really don't feel comfortable with most breeders, but when I researched labradoodles and goldendoodles, I really felt like the bad rap is ridiculous. I could write a novel about all that I found out, but honestly the whole not a real breed thing doesn't fly with me.

Just my opinion, I have also fallen in love with dobermans lately, even though I don't love the look, and I'm dying to own either a newfie or a st. Bernard, and then maybe a chihuahua, so I'm just dog crazy .
#67 of 105 Old 03-17-2009, 11:36 AM - Thread Starter

Well I emailed the lady asking 800.00 for her labradoodles, and offered her a lower amount and she accepted, but only for one of her males (the rest sold and the last male is pick of the litter). She's going out of town on Sat. and needs them sold by then. It's perfect! So I told her that as much as we love him, if his temperament isn't perfect for us (ie. he's super dominant or submissive) then we'd have to pass, so could she please tell us more about him, and she never responded. I couldn't sleep I'm so excited. All of this took place around 11:00 last night so I'm hoping she is just asleep.

It's about a 45 min. drive to where they are and I REALLY hope they get back to us soon so we can go. It's so hard not to tell Rune!
#68 of 105 Old 03-17-2009, 11:47 AM - Thread Starter

Oh and if anyone can tell me what I should be looking for in the puppy, parents, ect. when we go out there I'd really appreciate it!
#69 of 105 Old 03-17-2009, 04:02 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
YAY! I am really excited for you and I think you will find you LOVE this combo.

I would just look for sound temperaments in mom and dad and a clean clean house when you go. I usually have people come in that can't BELIEVE I even have one dog here, let alone the many, because they can't smell anything or see any evidence of dogs (except win pictures and trophies everywhere and tons of dog art!). But if she has evidence of health screenings, great. If not, I wouldn't worry so much... you are getting a puppy for cheap and it is a mixed breed. But it is a GOOD mix and you can meet mom and dad, which is more than you would get from a shelter and that is worth the extra $$ in my opinion.

Good luck and I hope you get a great puppy! Pictures are, of course, a must. :

Mom to two beautiful boys, now in school to be a therapist and help other women with PPD.  

#70 of 105 Old 03-17-2009, 05:25 PM - Thread Starter

Okay here is a small problem...

She didn't get back to me all day. So my husband said he was sick of dealing with breeders and he just wanted to get a puppy from the pound (what I wanted to do from the BEGINNING!). The one he loves is http://www.idahohumanesociety.com/an...os/7170170.jpg this guy. He's a boarder collie lab mix.

So, we'd figured she'd sold the puppy to someone willing to pay full price and he called and set up an appointment for us to go look at them tomorrow. Well, I get home and the labradoodle lady emailed me back. She didn't say anything except that she tried calling but my answering machine wouldn't let her leave a message. Here is the labradoodle puppy http://www.tiptopwebsite.com/photos3...trylife/56.jpg

what do I do? ACK!
#71 of 105 Old 03-17-2009, 05:35 PM

You said you wanted a laid back dog, right? DO NOT get a border collie/lab mix if that's the case!
#72 of 105 Old 03-17-2009, 05:36 PM

I personally would not buy a labradoodle unless the "breeder" is actually trying to get a standardized labradoodle breed going. I dont mind people necessarily coming up with new breeds, but they should be actively pursuing a set of standards, working with others to get the same, etc.

Nicole - )0( unschooling mama to Lilahblahblah.gif (12/21/05) and Cianwild.gif (9/21/07) as well as 3 dog2.gif 2 cat.gif,  4 rats, chicken3.gif and ducks

#73 of 105 Old 03-17-2009, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SevenVeils View Post
You said you wanted a laid back dog, right? DO NOT get a border collie/lab mix if that's the case!
I have met some extremely hyper labradoodles as well...

Nicole - )0( unschooling mama to Lilahblahblah.gif (12/21/05) and Cianwild.gif (9/21/07) as well as 3 dog2.gif 2 cat.gif,  4 rats, chicken3.gif and ducks

#74 of 105 Old 03-17-2009, 05:40 PM

Quote:
I have met some extremely hyper labradoodles as well...
Oh, I'm sure of that. I think that, if these are the ONLY two dogs to choose between, the border collie mix is much more likely to be super hyper, whereas with the poodle mix she at least has a somewhat better chance of getting the type of dog that she wants.
#75 of 105 Old 03-17-2009, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Oh, I'm sure of that. I think that, if these are the ONLY two dogs to choose between, the border collie mix is much more likely to be super hyper, whereas with the poodle mix she at least has a somewhat better chance of getting the type of dog that she wants.
Oh, agreed...neither one of these would be my choice from what the OP originally described wanting.

#76 of 105 Old 03-17-2009, 05:50 PM

I have a bc mix who is just now starting to settle down and she is almost 8. In her younger days I took her running with me (five miles) still had to play fetch in the yard and she would still sometimes not have enough exercise.
#77 of 105 Old 03-17-2009, 05:55 PM

Aimee-
I sent you a PM, but wanted to put this out there here as well. Perhaps if you are willing to share, even briefly, which state you are in, one of us can help hook you up with an individual animal that would be suited to your needs, or connect you to an animal rescue that might be able to assist you.

He who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe is as good as dead; his eyes are closed.  ~Albert Einstein
#78 of 105 Old 03-17-2009, 05:57 PM - Thread Starter

I live in Nampa Idaho.
#79 of 105 Old 03-17-2009, 06:11 PM

Well, I'm going to post a portion of what I wrote in the PM here, in case others are following along:

Quote:
I foster for a no kill agency that works in conjunction with the local shelter to try to reduce the numbers we have to euthanize. Have you considered doing something similar? It's wonderful, because you can help out animals, while trying various dogs on for size. Usually, they will work with you to temporarily place animals that are suitable for your situation, and you can foster as often as you want. Most programs cover veterinary care, and food.

Volunteering at the local shelter, even just to walk dogs is another option, or calling local veterinarians, and telling them what you are looking for can result in a good match.
Does anyone else have suggestions that can help Aimee find a suitable dog?

He who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe is as good as dead; his eyes are closed.  ~Albert Einstein
#80 of 105 Old 03-17-2009, 06:12 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Oh, agreed...neither one of these would be my choice from what the OP originally described wanting.
Well, what do you recommend?

Things have changed since my first post. I now realize most dogs will bark when a bad guy comes. I just want something that won't bite my frickin' kid. We're going to take him on a mile walk daily, to the park, to everywhere. I just want something good with kids. We will take anything.

After reading up more on boarder collies, I see they're not good with kids at all! Well, at least young kids. I don't know what to do
#81 of 105 Old 03-17-2009, 06:16 PM

There is a really nice looking Great Pyrenees in your area that maybe you should go meet...

Large dog, good with kids, protective of family...
http://www.petfinder.com/petnote/dis...petid=12239019
http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/greatpyrenees.htm

I know he is older than what you wanted, but he might be worth the meet...

#82 of 105 Old 03-17-2009, 06:28 PM

I think your best option would be working with an organization which fosters dogs, like Breathless Wonder said. They actually have the dogs living in homes, and can help you really get to know the temperament better than just meeting a puppy once or twice.

I'm so sorry for your son's experience; that must have been a nightmare for you as well as for him!

The reason I say about the temperament is that the dog we had when I was small was a lab/border collie mix, and she was a wonderful dog for kids - just ideal. But that is not going to be true of every one of those mixes, so you are probably wise to steer clear.

Also, your boys are so young - any dog might bite a child that young, because they are too young to know how to behave with a dog, and dogs discipline puppies by biting their snouts - so if a young child does something the dog will not tolerate, that is their instinct - not to hurt the child, but just to discipline them, if that makes sense. That is how a dog tells a puppy "Stop that!"

~*The days are long, but the years are short.*~
#83 of 105 Old 03-17-2009, 06:34 PM

How about a St. Bernard, you said you liked big dogs and you cant get more laid back than that, If you would like something smaller how about a basset hound.

Mommy to our Twin Miracles babygirl.gifbabyboy.gif born on 29/1/12

#84 of 105 Old 03-17-2009, 06:39 PM

See, personally, I think that individual dog temperament can vary so much, that while having a general grasp of breed characteristics is good, truly getting to know the individual dog is SO much more important!

This may be helpful:
http://www.workingdogs.com/testing_volhard.htm

YMMV.

#85 of 105 Old 03-17-2009, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Aimee* View Post
Well, what do you recommend?

Things have changed since my first post. I now realize most dogs will bark when a bad guy comes. I just want something that won't bite my frickin' kid. We're going to take him on a mile walk daily, to the park, to everywhere. I just want something good with kids. We will take anything.

After reading up more on boarder collies, I see they're not good with kids at all! Well, at least young kids. I don't know what to do
Aw, it's okay. There are thousands of dogs out there, many more each day to choose from. You can absolutely take your time on this.

I know the feeling that you sound like you're feeling right now, it's awful. But I offer the following bit of advice:

When people get to the point that you are at, there is a high likelihood of ending up with a nightmare of a mismatch for your home. It's truly best at this point to take a deep breath, force yourself to take a few days off from the hunt, and when you feel more relaxed about it and have more perspective, then you can make a better choice.

Sometimes it takes a while to find just the right dog. It's worth it.

And I know that you don't like the looks of a Basset Hound, but it sounds like a good breed for you.
#86 of 105 Old 03-17-2009, 07:01 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks everyone. I appreciate why people think we should get an older rescue dog, and I understand that, but it just won't happen. My son is afraid of anything over 20lbs right now. He covers his ears and screams and cries. I'm not going to bring that into his home. He will be fine with a puppy that gets bigger with him, but not starting out with a larger dog.

I think we've decided on neither. I'm not comfortable spending 600.00 on a dog. Right now I'm not even sure if I'm comfortable with a "bred" dog at all.

We're going to just wait, as spring gets here more there will be more puppies available. Hopefully we'll find a sweet golden, or something golden mixed.

I'll be sure to post with updates if we figure anything out. Thanks again
#87 of 105 Old 03-17-2009, 07:18 PM

Quote:
The odd thing is, the dad was 110lbs (I know, I know) and the mama dog was like 80lbs and my son wasn't afraid of them AT ALL. They were licking his face and he was laughing so hard and loved them.
I am trying to be helpful, so please take this with that tone in mind.

The above quote was the primary reason I thought you should CONSIDER an older, but young dog.

I wasn't suggesting just adopting an animal, bringing the dog home, and having your son scream in terror. But taking your son to meet some older dogs, that you have already checked out, might yield more positive results than you think. Your son should get to meet and greet any animal before it is permanently yours.

It would be really helpful, before you adopt, to figure out what exactly is triggering your son's fear. Because if it involves dog behaviors, and your son feeling he has lost control over the situation, you may adopt a puppy, which will rapidly grow larger, and the puppy's behaviors might be overwhelming. In other words, consider that your son's fear is not based on size alone, but other factors.

Best of luck to you in your search.

#88 of 105 Old 03-17-2009, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breathless Wonder View Post
See, personally, I think that individual dog temperament can vary so much, that while having a general grasp of breed characteristics is good, truly getting to know the individual dog is SO much more important!

This may be helpful:
http://www.workingdogs.com/testing_volhard.htm

YMMV.
Yes, exactly - you put it better than I did!

~*The days are long, but the years are short.*~
#89 of 105 Old 03-17-2009, 07:32 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breathless Wonder View Post
I am trying to be helpful, so please take this with that tone in mind.

The above quote was the primary reason I thought you should CONSIDER an older, but young dog.

I wasn't suggesting just adopting an animal, bringing the dog home, and having your son scream in terror. But taking your son to meet some older dogs, that you have already checked out, might yield more positive results than you think. Your son should get to meet and greet any animal before it is permanently yours.

It would be really helpful, before you adopt, to figure out what exactly is triggering your son's fear. Because if it involves dog behaviors, and your son feeling he has lost control over the situation, you may adopt a puppy, which will rapidly grow larger, and the puppy's behaviors might be overwhelming. In other words, consider that your son's fear is not based on size alone, but other factors.

Best of luck to you in your search.

oh no, I totally appreciate it. The only thing I can think of is because those were pitbulls and thats what we had when he was born up until he was a year or so old. Hes afraid because our dog bit his face pretty badly. Our friend fosters dogs for the humane society (well, actually they won't let her now because one of her dogs isnt fixed, so she fosters for a rescue) and she always has dogs with her. He won't go near any of them except he STARTED to get used to her doberman.

I think that this is all just getting to be too much of a thing. I think sometimes people scare people so badly they just don't want any dog when in reality most dogs are great with kids. All I've learned from this is a pure bred dog is just the same if not more likely to bite a kid as a mutt. I can spend 1000.00 on a dog and it'll eat my neighbor or kids, no matter how well I train it or I can spend 20 dogs and it'll do the same.

Or maybe everything will be just a ok. So I'm going to wait for that feeling that everything is okay and then that'll be the dog we go with! DH is on board so that's the best thing of all.
#90 of 105 Old 03-17-2009, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Aw, it's okay. There are thousands of dogs out there, many more each day to choose from. You can absolutely take your time on this.

I know the feeling that you sound like you're feeling right now, it's awful. But I offer the following bit of advice:

When people get to the point that you are at, there is a high likelihood of ending up with a nightmare of a mismatch for your home. It's truly best at this point to take a deep breath, force yourself to take a few days off from the hunt, and when you feel more relaxed about it and have more perspective, then you can make a better choice.

Sometimes it takes a while to find just the right dog. It's worth it.

And I know that you don't like the looks of a Basset Hound, but it sounds like a good breed for you.
Pretty much :

I think you have puppy fever pretty bad...which is totally understandable. I am the same way in once I decide to do something, or get something, I go really fast. I just know if I were in your situation of getting a dog, I would be jumping on every possiblilty, and would probably end up regretting what I chose. Figure out what you want in a dog, specifically, and find as close to it as possible. You have time, there will always be puppies around

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page