Forum Jump: 

Old 03-17-2009, 09:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenmagick View Post
Pretty much :

I think you have puppy fever pretty bad...which is totally understandable. I am the same way in once I decide to do something, or get something, I go really fast. I just know if I were in your situation of getting a dog, I would be jumping on every possiblilty, and would probably end up regretting what I chose. Figure out what you want in a dog, specifically, and find as close to it as possible. You have time, there will always be puppies around
Yeah, we've actually been thinking about it for over a year. It's not like we just jumped into this blindly(I'm NOT saying you're saying that). The problem has been DH has insisted on the dog being purebred German Shepherd. I just basically wanted something good with kids. We don't have the money for a super expensive GSD right now. I don't even really want one!

I just want a kicked back dog that LOVES kids, and will bark if a bad guy shows up. My conscious is also not wanting me to spend so much on a dog when there are great dogs that need homes. I'd prefer it if our dog had crazy hair, and looked nutty, but that's not important.

We've decided we're just going to keep holding out until we find something mixed with lab (I don't love them but everyone has convinced me they are super great if not neglected). I'd be most happy about a lab pitbull mix....But we'll see what happens.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-17-2009, 09:18 PM

Aimee,

As I've said, Gromit is a labradoodle, he came from a rescue. I would talk to the breeder about the personality of this puppy, and see what the breeder says. Gromit is pretty calm, but he definitely needs exercise and play. Labradoodles can be really high energy, but people seem to really love them. I frequent a site called www.doodlekisses.com now that I have Gromit, and I think you could get really valuable information there on what type of dog a doodle is. I would choose it over a border collie mix, but then I would go with a rescue over a breeder, so all in all a pretty hard call. I would also say wait for your perfect dog, you don't have to pick one of these if you don't think they are right for you. They are both unbelievably cute puppies, but they will grow up into half lab dogs!!!!
Old 03-17-2009, 09:19 PM - Thread Starter

I also wanted to apologize for the defensiveness of my posts. I'm getting a lot of crap right now from a lot of people and it's making me feel dejected.

1 person yelling because I won't get an adult dog (good friend of DH's)
1 person yelling because I won't take just any puppy and if I raise it with the kids he'll LOVE them so what does it matter what kind of puppy it is?! (Friend of mine)
1 person saying I'm stupid for getting any dog because I have kids

I'm just getting frustrated
Old 03-17-2009, 10:33 PM

Old 03-18-2009, 05:15 AM

Aimee, I'm sorry that you're getting yelled at. Can you somehow nicely tell them to deal with their own dog-getting by themselves and leave you to yours?

And just an aside about labs. I am not not not a lab person. I don't like them one bit. Their personality just does not work with mine. This includes most lab mixes that I've tried to live with. I just can't do labs.

So if you really don't like labs, that is fine, don't let others tell you what to like.

If you're going for a puppy, I urge you to familiarize yourself with the writings (and puppy tests) of the Volhards. Someone posted a link above, they also have a Yahoo mailing list and, most importantly, a number of books. I think the best one to start with is called "Dog Training For Dummies". I hate the title, but it's a very valuable book and contains the puppy tests and detailed descriptions of how and when to apply them and what to take from the data.

And the Great Pyrenees that someone posted above? That is not a Pyr I'd go Pyr/Anatolian, or perhaps straight Anatolian/Akbash. My dog is half Akbash (basically the same as an Anatolian, and mixed with Pyr and Saint Bernard) and he is a fantastic dog for me. BUT. LGD breeds think differently than other dogs. Completely. They're great with kids, and can make fabulous pets. But there are major considerations with them.
Old 03-18-2009, 05:44 AM

How about a German Shorthaired Pointer?

Cocker Spaniel?

German Shepherd/Rott mix puppy?

Doberman puppy?

Lab x Great Dane puppies? The dane should cancel out a lot of the labness, if you're still thinking about a lab mix this might be a way to go.

Boxer mixes! I love these guys! Here is a picture of them including one of the mom.

Here is a crazy looking puppy, claims to be labradoodle but that wouldn't give brindle. I'd say maybe boxer x poodle, which would be a great dog. She's female though. This is another one that I want!
Old 03-18-2009, 11:27 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by *Louise* View Post
How about a St. Bernard, you said you liked big dogs and you cant get more laid back than that, If you would like something smaller how about a basset hound.
Saints... you have to be REALLY careful with temperament. Don't go there.

Mom to two beautiful boys, now in school to be a therapist and help other women with PPD.  

Old 03-18-2009, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SevenVeils View Post

Cocker Spaniel?

Doberman puppy?

Lab x Great Dane puppies? The dane should cancel out a lot of the labness, if you're still thinking about a lab mix this might be a way to go.

Boxer mixes! I love these guys! Here is a picture of them including one of the mom.

Here is a crazy looking puppy, claims to be labradoodle but that wouldn't give brindle. I'd say maybe boxer x poodle, which would be a great dog. She's female though. This is another one that I want!

GSP... nutsy cuckoo...

All the other ones COULD be okay.

Aimee, I think you should go and get a dog book. The AKC has a good one, the Complete Dog Book. You can get it at your local library, I am sure.

Then sit down with your family and look at it. Look at the pictures, read up on temperament.

Find 4 or 5 breeds you really like. GO to their national breed club's website. Email some breeders. Ask them about their dogs. Ask them about REAL living with these dogs. Sit down with your family again. Then, talk about which of these breeds appeal to you and why.

THEN... if you want to go with a breeder, go that route. If not, at least you know of breeds you are willing to work with and not work with. I think that right now, you just want a DOG, ANY DOG so badly that you are about to just get a wild hair and go out and get A DOG. It might not be the right fit. It concerns me a little that you are so all over the map with what kind of dog you want, or MIGHT want.

That said, if you are really only wanting to go between these two puppies, I vote for the Labradoodle.

Mom to two beautiful boys, now in school to be a therapist and help other women with PPD.  

Old 03-18-2009, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom0810 View Post
Saints... you have to be REALLY careful with temperament. Don't go there.
I have to disagree here. Yes, there are bad breeders around, but in general they have wonderful temperaments.....I grew up with them as my dad was a backyard breeder of them (looking back I am saddened by this, but at the time, I didnts know better)

Nicole - )0( unschooling mama to Lilahblahblah.gif (12/21/05) and Cianwild.gif (9/21/07) as well as 3 dog2.gif 2 cat.gif,  4 rats, chicken3.gif and ducks

Old 03-18-2009, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenmagick View Post
I have to disagree here. Yes, there are bad breeders around, but in general they have wonderful temperaments.....I grew up with them as my dad was a backyard breeder of them (looking back I am saddened by this, but at the time, I didnts know better)

Things have changed dramatically. You just have to really watch out. Of course there are good ones, and good ones usually MAKE good ones, but the same goes for bad. In my professional training, I have come across so many of these that had to be euthanized because they had a screw loose.

Old 03-18-2009, 12:33 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you so much everyone, you've all be so amazingly helpful!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breathless Wonder View Post

You should look on Petfinder for your area

http://www.petfinder.com/petnote/dis...petid=12945181
http://www.petfinder.com/petnote/dis...petid=12937291
http://www.petfinder.com/petnote/dis...petid=13000422
http://www.petfinder.com/petnote/dis...petid=13192114
http://www.petfinder.com/petnote/dis...petid=13192115
http://www.petfinder.com/petnote/dis...petid=13231473
http://www.petfinder.com/petnote/dis...petid=13231474
http://www.petfinder.com/petnote/dis...petid=13240570
http://www.petfinder.com/petnote/dis...petid=13249641 http://www.petfinder.com/petnote/dis...petid=13277599
http://www.petfinder.com/petnote/dis...petid=13251237

You know you can search for specific breeds, and ages, right? these were just a few I though you might be interested in. A few are lab mixes, some are pits, and a few are GSD mixes.
These puppies are the Canyon County (where I live) humane society puppies. We're going to go this weekend. DH had decided he wants a much more active roll in picking our puppy.

Quote:

Cocker Spaniel?

Doberman puppy?

wow thanks! I'm LOVING the boxer mixes, they're so cute. I usually think boxers are super ugly but I've heard a lot of people really like them and think they're fantastic with their kids.

I also met that german shepherd rottweiler mix and he was SO SWEET! But I thought he had a home already! I'll have to talk to DH.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom0810 View Post
GSP... nutsy cuckoo...

All the other ones COULD be okay.

Aimee, I think you should go and get a dog book. The AKC has a good one, the Complete Dog Book. You can get it at your local library, I am sure.

Then sit down with your family and look at it. Look at the pictures, read up on temperament.

Find 4 or 5 breeds you really like. GO to their national breed club's website. Email some breeders. Ask them about their dogs. Ask them about REAL living with these dogs. Sit down with your family again. Then, talk about which of these breeds appeal to you and why.

THEN... if you want to go with a breeder, go that route. If not, at least you know of breeds you are willing to work with and not work with. I think that right now, you just want a DOG, ANY DOG so badly that you are about to just get a wild hair and go out and get A DOG. It might not be the right fit. It concerns me a little that you are so all over the map with what kind of dog you want, or MIGHT want.

That said, if you are really only wanting to go between these two puppies, I vote for the Labradoodle.
That's a really good idea.

I'm not getting either of the dogs. DH doesn't want to spend 600.00 for a dog that is still just a lab mutt when there are so many for way cheaper. I read a lot of horrible things about boarder collies with kids, and how they can be sensitive to loud sudden noises (my kids!) and bite. so we're not getting that adorable puppy either.

We're just such pitbull people. We only know about pitbulls. It's so weird branching out to other dogs.
Old 03-18-2009, 12:41 PM

If you really like pitbulls, check out Staffordshire Bull Terriers. Or AmStaffs. Look at the Terrier dogs in general. I am not a Bull Terrier person, but the people who have them adore them. Look at Mini Bulls. Or Bull Terriers. That would be where I would start since you like that look.

You mentioned shaggy kooky looking dogs, too. You can check into Neardie rescue... That's bearded collie mixes. Type in neardie rescue on google and see what the name of the rescue is. I forget. There is also "wheatable" rescue... for soft coated wheaten terriers. I forget that name but it might be wheatable rescue, actually.

There are lots of cute shaggy mixes that have a specific rescue for them. Look in to that. I know there is some "shaggy dog rescue" out of Cali. but I don't know where it is.

Start with what you KNOW you like, whether it's looks, temperament or whatever. I can help you privately if you wish. Most private rescue groups will be a tad more expensive than shelters, but it's worth it, I think.

You had mentioned Airedales, too... look in to Airedale rescue. That might actually be the best fit for you since you like the goofy looking shaggy dog idea (which airedales are if they are not stripped) and you know you like terrier temperament (or a version of it).

Let me know if I can help you any more. You are on the right path, I think.
http://www.wheatenterrierrescue.org This is a link I found that might help you.

Old 03-18-2009, 01:07 PM

A lot of pit people like boxers a lot, temperament wise. I love boxer crosses. If you like the shaggy crazy look, I really think that, looking past the hair issue, that last puppy that I listed could be a boxer mix.
Old 03-18-2009, 01:25 PM

Quote:
A lot of pit people like boxers a lot, temperament wise. I love boxer crosses. If you like the shaggy crazy look, I really think that, looking past the hair issue, that last puppy that I listed could be a boxer mix.
That brindling reminds me very much of Plott Hounds I have seen.

He who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe is as good as dead; his eyes are closed.  ~Albert Einstein
Old 03-18-2009, 01:33 PM

Brindling happens in tons of breeds, including Boxers, so if it's a Boxer mix, that is where it's coming from.

Boxers are AWESOME with kids, and there are Boxer rescues all over the place, if that is what you think you would like.

User Tag List