Need help picking between these two dogs, Post 70. - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 105 Old 03-06-2009, 10:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I posted a few months ago about needing help picking a dog breed. At that point I was pretty sold on a Newfoundland but then after being told here and then talking to some breeders I really agree these aren't the best dogs for our family.

A little back ground is we've only owned pitbulls and rottweilers before. I love those breeds very much. DH really wants another rottweiler but I'm having trouble finding anything responsibly bred anywhere close to us. We've both decided to not get another pitbull for various reasons even though we do still love the breed.

I have an almost 3 yr old, an almost 1 yr old and plan on having at least 1 more, possibly 2 more children. The dog MUST be good with kids.

We have no problem being dominate over more dominant dogs. I do prefer larger dogs, and I'm a sucker for any mastiff but DH doesn't care for them much.

We live in a single family home with a medium sized fenced back yard. We would take him for a 1 mile walk daily. (and yes I want a him). He would be crated while we weren't home and at night for at least a few years.

My two main reasons for wanting a dog are protection and companionship. I am a sexual assault victim and feel more comfortable with a dog in the house. Last night was the final straw for me when there were some horrible loud unexplained noises that sounded like someone pounding on our door and there was nobody there but it woke the whole house up. I was so paranoid all day and pretty scared. I want a dog that will protect our house like my rottweiler did. She would patrol our home and sleep in front of the front door and she was just wonderful. I always felt safe with her around. I'm also lonely with DH working so much and would like to have a dog around for that reason too. I've ALWAYS had dogs so this has been a weird year without one.

We don't have a dog right now because our pitbull, Hando, bit our son. It was just a snip, like a warning bite, but he had always been a little off and had turned on my husband twice at different times in his life. He was not well bred at all and we were just young and stupid when we bought him. We've had other pitbulls in the past that were fantastic dogs and there was just something "off" about Hando. My husband has been hesitant to get another dog since then until we put a lot of thought into it and found the right one and breed for us.

I do not like Labs. I have personally known of 2 people whose labs have attacked their children. One of them ended in the child dying. I've also seen a lot of mean labs around our neighborhood and just don't like them.

I'm loving German Sheppards and have been studying them for a year now. I'm also thinking of an American Bulldog. I am basically up for anything, however. From our past experiences, DH is not comfortable with a rescue dog and prefers to get a puppy from a very experienced reputable breeder.

So, what do you think would be the best dog for us? we have no allergies and don't mind a bit of grooming. I think it'd be good for the boys to have to brush our dog out at least once a week or so.

Thank you for your help

So, it turns out we had miscommunicated somewhat in our conversation with the breeder. When my inlaws went to see the puppies to help pick one for us he offered two 5 month old pups. One was 45lbs one was 60lbs. Those are both too old and too big to come to our home as my son is still afraid of dogs. He did have some 9 week old puppies but he wasn't willing to part with them for the discounted price. I understand totally, but wish this whole thing wouldn't have happened. My son was devastated we weren't getting a puppy, and frankly I was too.

My friend tried to cheer my up by sending me to an ad for blue pitbull puppies (my favorite) but when we got to talking to the breeder we found out he'd done a line breeding and when pressed about it, they were brother and sister His dogs were very pretty and my son had a BLAST playing with the puppies but that's just not a risk I'm willing to take. The odd thing is, the dad was 110lbs (I know, I know) and the mama dog was like 80lbs and my son wasn't afraid of them AT ALL. They were licking his face and he was laughing so hard and loved them. It was so weird because earlier that day someone was giving away Golden Retrievers and we went to look at them and when he saw the daddy dog he burst out crying they were "too scary".

So, I don't know. I feel like my bubble has been popped. I just want a frickin' dog that is good with my kids, won't hop my fence, won't kill neighbor cats, and is a lazy daisy. I think I'm over wanting a "protection" dog and am more onto any dog that'll bark at a bad guy so I can (sorry MDC!!) get my gun. I also believe most bad guys will be deterred by barking more than anything else. I looked in the paper and we have tons of golden's some basset hounds and some Airedales. And some English Mastiffs, but I'm staying away

With Golden's around here, I'm afraid they're all going to be inbred because there are SO MANY of them. we saw 3 people selling them on the street today. I don't know much about the breed. I just don't want something too crazy hyper.

Anyway, thanks for all your help. It's been a long hard day with lots of tears and I think I'm going to go to bed
#2 of 105 Old 03-06-2009, 11:12 PM

I grew up around the most incredible red dobermans - and while I wouldn't recommend getting a dog with kids the age of yours and plans for more, I do understand your feelings of insecurity. I'd recommend getting an *adult* highly trained doberman that has been tried and tested around children. No matter what dog you get, I would never recommend a puppy in your circumstances. I worked for a training & security kennel and they always had well trained adult dogs available that were needing loving families, it was sad to see them in a kennel all the time and at home visits they seemed so well adjusted and happy.

Good luck!
#3 of 105 Old 03-07-2009, 02:09 AM

I have not been in Am Bulldogs in years, so things may have changed dramatically, but I would not recommend them. If you dont want another pit bull you wont want an AB, they are very similar dogs, not surprising since there are a lot of lines where pit bulls were used heavily in breeding programs.

There were not many good breeders when I was in the breed, you need to be very careful, more so than most breeds, when selecting a breeder. AB's have a lot of health and temperament issues, hip dysplasia was/is rampant not to mention some odd things like icthyosis, heart, and liver problems.

I don't know what your criteria but if you are looking for a big dog what about a Bullmastiff? You would get that bully look and every one I have met is a big goober.
#4 of 105 Old 03-07-2009, 11:48 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
If you are loving a Rottweiler and have experience in the breed, there are tons of good breeders and I would be happy to help you find another. Good breeders have no issues shipping, too, so location is not a problem.

Also, GSD's you have to be so careful. There are a lot of really bad ones out there and a lot of shifty breeders that are charging CRAZY prices for dogs that are basically pets.

Anyway, good luck. Either breed would be great. I know of several Rottie breeders in the US and Canada if you need help.

Mom to two beautiful boys, now in school to be a therapist and help other women with PPD.  

#5 of 105 Old 03-07-2009, 03:29 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by daekini View Post
I grew up around the most incredible red dobermans - and while I wouldn't recommend getting a dog with kids the age of yours and plans for more, I do understand your feelings of insecurity. I'd recommend getting an *adult* highly trained doberman that has been tried and tested around children. No matter what dog you get, I would never recommend a puppy in your circumstances. I worked for a training & security kennel and they always had well trained adult dogs available that were needing loving families, it was sad to see them in a kennel all the time and at home visits they seemed so well adjusted and happy.

Good luck!
Thank you! I've heard fantastic things about dobies. My good friend just rescued one a few weeks ago and said it's her favorite dog and she'd never be without one again.

As far as getting an older dog from a security kennel, can you tell me more about this? All the dogs I've found like this are selling for around 5-10k and that is not something we can afford. I would definitely be interested in this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Girl In The Fire View Post
I have not been in Am Bulldogs in years, so things may have changed dramatically, but I would not recommend them. If you dont want another pit bull you wont want an AB, they are very similar dogs, not surprising since there are a lot of lines where pit bulls were used heavily in breeding programs.

There were not many good breeders when I was in the breed, you need to be very careful, more so than most breeds, when selecting a breeder. AB's have a lot of health and temperament issues, hip dysplasia was/is rampant not to mention some odd things like icthyosis, heart, and liver problems.

I don't know what your criteria but if you are looking for a big dog what about a Bullmastiff? You would get that bully look and every one I have met is a big goober.
Thank you for your response. You're right My husband just sat me down and said, "if you don't want a pitbull why would you want an Am Bulldog!? Plus the reasoning between not wanting either of those breeds is the breeding part. Especially with pitbulls having so many different types of people wanting them, if you know what I mean, it's even harder to find a good breeder than with a lot of other dogs. My DH doesn't love bullmastiffs but I do, that is somethign we'll look into. Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom0810 View Post
If you are loving a Rottweiler and have experience in the breed, there are tons of good breeders and I would be happy to help you find another. Good breeders have no issues shipping, too, so location is not a problem.

Also, GSD's you have to be so careful. There are a lot of really bad ones out there and a lot of shifty breeders that are charging CRAZY prices for dogs that are basically pets.

Anyway, good luck. Either breed would be great. I know of several Rottie breeders in the US and Canada if you need help.
Thank you! I'm going to talk to my husband about it (he's so set on a GSD) and see what we can come up with.

The GSD he wants can only come from 1 breeder. Where he got his when he was a child. He breeds dogs for police force. The breeder is in the same city where his parents live, and though a bit of a way from us he thinks we would just go pick it up and see his parents for a week or so.

Thank you so much for you help. I'm still welcoming more comments. Thank you!
#6 of 105 Old 03-07-2009, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Aimee* View Post

Thank you! I'm going to talk to my husband about it (he's so set on a GSD) and see what we can come up with.

The GSD he wants can only come from 1 breeder. Where he got his when he was a child. He breeds dogs for police force. The breeder is in the same city where his parents live, and though a bit of a way from us he thinks we would just go pick it up and see his parents for a week or so.

Thank you so much for you help. I'm still welcoming more comments. Thank you!

This sounds like a decent option. You might see if that breeder has a "retired" adult available - I am so absolutely serious about the no-puppy thing - with two little ones and *possibly* a new one coming, it's a nightmare...

Yes, security dogs come at a premium - but I have also seen absolutely amazing ones come from dobie-specific rescue groups - please don't discount an adult because OH how much easier it can be when you take this route. Many of them are already trained and there is really no need to get them trained to watch because it comes naturally...
#7 of 105 Old 03-07-2009, 10:00 PM

Quote:
I am so absolutely serious about the no-puppy thing - with two little ones and *possibly* a new one coming, it's a nightmare...
This is not true for everyone. I've raised puppies and babies with great success and I didn't find it to be unduly difficult.

Here is the first night I brought my puppy home. My baby was 9 months old. I also have health issues which affect my energy levels and etc.

3 weeks later.

13 week old puppy, 11 month old baby.

8 month old puppy, 15 month old baby.

15 month old puppy, 22 month old baby.

Some people do not like having babies and puppies together. Some people do, or don't mind. It's really hard to make a blanket statement about something like that. hth
#8 of 105 Old 03-08-2009, 10:17 AM

We've done puppy with baby, too, and it was no problem. We have a 6 month old puppy now with our 3 year old and our 16 month old. No issues whatsoever. I would only do this with a puppy raised by a breeder who has been really well socialized, however. And it sounds like the breeder you are thinking of for a GSD is just that.

Mom to two beautiful boys, now in school to be a therapist and help other women with PPD.  

#9 of 105 Old 03-08-2009, 04:16 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Have you considered a boxer? My ILs have had two so far and our neighbors have one and all are sweet-natured and GREAT with rowdy children. (I watched in horror as my 18-month-old niece crawled up behind their unfixed male and grabbed ahold of his, er, unfixed parts and gave 'em a good yank! I wasn't close enough to stop her or get in between them. The dog didn't even jump up. He just turned his head and licked her, then got up and moved so it wouldn't happen again.) The kids next door are wild little kids and their dog loves to wrestle with them. My SIL also swears that they are good protectors of the home and of course, their size would deter anyone trying to harm you.
#10 of 105 Old 03-08-2009, 08:45 PM

I second the Boxer vote. The BEST dogs with kids. :

#11 of 105 Old 03-09-2009, 02:23 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you so much!

Unfortunately DH hates boxers, he thinks they're ugly. I know, I know, it's not about the looks, but he HATES them.

I'm glad you all have had luck with puppies for a few reasons. 1 is that for us to afford an older dog it'll easily be between 5-10k dollars. That's not something we have right now. We're struggling to come up with the 1500 as it is. Another is DH and the breeder says its best to get children and the dog used to each other as early as possible.

I don't think it'll be too much of a struggle. I have plenty of time and we're home all day. Though ultimately I would be happiest with, say an 18 month old. I'm hoping when I email the breeder he may be able to go down on the price for an older dog but would happily take a puppy as well.
#12 of 105 Old 03-09-2009, 08:46 AM
she

I'd be iffy with an adult rescue dog with small kids, myself, you never really know their past. The shelters around here don't even like/will refuse adoptions of older dogs for families with little kids. Even though puppies and babies aren't the easiest combination, they don't want to risk bites. I'd go with the puppy, too, even a slightly older puppy, because the baby stage seems to be the most time consuming.

I've had a dobe, and he was great with our baby (although he did have other problems indirectly related to her arrival). Now we have a boxer/gsd X. He is fine with the kids - they actually don't like him, but because he's a "close talker" and bumps into them, he IS very tolerant of their affection when they choose to give it. He is also naturally very protective, to the point it would be a problem if we didn't live in the country. Our dog actually does have a pitty look to him, his snout is short and stubby (not as short as a boxer, though much shorter than a gsd) wide jaw, almond eye, short coat, belly tuck, so if your dh isn't into boxers, he might be happy with a boxer X. He was 6 months old when we go him, so very young, but easy enough to care for.

Man, despite his artistic pretensions and his many accomplishments, owes his existence to a six-inch layer of topsoil and the fact that it rains - unknown :
#13 of 105 Old 03-09-2009, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by she View Post
I'd be iffy with an adult rescue dog with small kids, myself, you never really know their past. The shelters around here don't even like/will refuse adoptions of older dogs for families with little kids. Even though puppies and babies aren't the easiest combination, they don't want to risk bites. I'd go with the puppy, too, even a slightly older puppy, because the baby stage seems to be the most time consuming.
This is not correct - many adult dogs are fostered with families and are more predictable and well-rounded - with a puppy you never truly know how they will turn out and you can wind up with an animal that doesn't get along with kids even when raised with them - it's a crap-shoot. With an adult you have a very good idea of their reaction to a variety of situtions; you know their likes and dislikes; you can anticipate problems better. Often the adult dog is housebroken, especially if you go with a breed-specific rescue.

It is also untrue that adults are more expensive - that is only the case if you go with a watch-trained guard dog. There is no need for that; basic obedience is all you need for a protectively-inclined breed in your sitution. Guard dogs training is only needed when you are conducting rounds and actively guarding a place where intruders or passers-by are frequently encountered. Any dog will "watch" their home turf. You can obtain an adult for under $200 (spayed or neutered, shots up-to-date) from a breed-specific rescue group in most cases and the dog will be great - whereas a puppy from a reputable breeder who performs genetic & health testing (MAKE CERTAIN of this before getting a GSD in particular - the horror stories I can tell you about a friend's german shepherd's health... well over $6000 in vet bills) and guarantees their pups and is always willing to take them back will cost a minimum of around $700 and probably more like $1200 and then you have to get them vetted every 3 months or so for the first year of life at a bill of around $500 including spay/neuter... and then you may get lucky like myself and have dog with a retained testicle and pay about $550 for a neuter... I'm just sayin'... Fortunately I did pay the premium for a quality pup, so my breeder payed for part of the neuter and then when the dog developed severe aggression despite having incredible bloodlines, being raised with children, trained professionally, and integrated well with dogs, kids, and strangers... she took him back. Like I said - pups can have unpredictable outcomes... even with the very best scenario imaginable and even after throwing tons of money at the problem.
#14 of 105 Old 03-09-2009, 12:15 PM

With these GSD breeders, a lot of times it IS the case that the adults are waaaaay expensive.

I also disagree that adults are a good choice with kids. This gets said all the time, and I really so disagree and so do a lot of breeder friends. I would rather have a puppy in a home with little kids, not an adult.

#15 of 105 Old 03-09-2009, 12:41 PM

I can't say I am happy to be the voice of dissent and experience - but I am... and I have a lot of "breeder friends" who would argue for adults as well... I would never presume to tell another person what to do, but feel it's important for people to make an informed decision.

For every bad experience there is a good one, and vice versa: the question is whether you have the time, money, experience, and emotional makeup to deal with the problems if AND when they present themselves. If you can honestly say you could handle the good AND the bad of a particular option - go with that option... but it's important that you not make your decision assuming everything will be okay.

The whole point of getting different perspectives is to prepare yourself for what could potentially happen (bad and good) and go with the decision that has everything you want and ONLY has the potential problems you truly could handle.
#16 of 105 Old 03-09-2009, 12:48 PM

I agree with everything above. All I can go on is my own experience. I would not place an adult finished dog or whatever adult I was placing with a family with little kids (under 10). But I would have no problem selling them a puppy and have done so many times.

I think once you have raised a baby, you are more than prepared for a puppy. And I think it's better for the kids to have a baby puppy that starts out in life used to little kids. It just becomes second nature to them, where a dog that hasn't really been around little kids coming in to a home WITH them... potential disaster.. it turns my stomach just thinking about it.

It seems *I* am always the voice of dissent (only here) but that's okay. I think taking every possibility into account is great. I think the OP knows what she is doing, though, and so does her DH. Having had experience with the breeder like they do, and knowing what they are getting into, it will be fine. GSD puppies (if that is what they decide on) are pretty easy and really quick to housetrain, stuff like that.

For a fact, I am planning on having another one when my kids get a little bigger and I am taking a break from showing for a while... whenever THAT will be..

#17 of 105 Old 03-09-2009, 02:38 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks again everyone! I'm getting more and more excited just thinking about it.

Another important reason for us to get a puppy is my son still remembers being bit. He told me the other day he was afraid if we got a new puppy it would bite his face. He is hesitant around dogs, especially because my moms corgie attacks him every. single. time. she sees him. Even when we call ahead to tell my mom to put her in her dog run she won't and so now we just don't go over there. She's never bit him but charges him and tries to.

Anyway! the breeder we're hoping to get a dog from (can I link his site? http://www.vonfalconer.com/dogsavail.htm#newlitters) I trust very much. He has a fantastic track record and his family has been breeding dogs forever k maybe not forever, but a long time. His older dogs are more expensive. I wouldn't be wanting anything attack trained or guard trained as I do realize that's excessive for our family. I am also aware that most dogs will protect their house (well except either one of my pitbulls. I think they would have just sat and watched while our house was robbed or maybe licked their noses ).

My friend who fosters for the pound swears up and down like you daekini that an older rescued dog is the way to go. She's had far better luck than with the dogs shes gotten from breeders as puppies. That said I don't think either of her breeders have been good breeders (a bull mastiff for 300.00 raises red flags for me, personally), so that may explain some of her problems.

For us after going through what we did with Hando biting Rune, and we KNEW his back ground, raised him with kids, did everything the books and trainers say to prepare them from puppyhood for kids and he still bit our son. He was not well bred though. I think that's why my husband is so insistent on this breeder. I found this girl today http://boise.craigslist.org/pet/1065957294.html but again, DH said no. So this is something he feels really passionately about and I need to respect that.

We've been talking for over a year about what we want in a dog and I'm excited he's finally starting to come around. I'm just nervous we won't get one, but I'm sure if he doesn't have any left he can recommend someone who can help us.
#18 of 105 Old 03-09-2009, 03:09 PM

I know your hubby is set on this breeder, and it will probably work out fine. There are a couple of things I saw that make me a little nervous, but I won't go into it here. I don't want to take the wind out of your sails, for one thing, and for another thing, some people are just not great at getting their point across on websites and he may be one of them. I don't judge...

I did notice he sold a long coat GSD for a heck of a lot of money, and in the dog world... the show world in America and in Germany... long coats are not anything but pets. The parents of the dog could have been show dogs, but that particular dog was not and would not have been eligible for working titles in Schutzhund, I don't think. Unless things have really changed. So that would bother me a bit.

He also had some pictures of dogs that were VERY clearly pet quality and not dogs that he should be selling for a lot of money... working dog or otherwise... so that would bother me a bit.

Did I say I wasn't going to go into it here? Sorry... I won't go into any of my other worries. You can pm me if you want to. I do know of good GSD breeders if you are interested.

GSD breeders are scary, some of them. There is one close to me in this area that charges INSANE prices for her dogs and none of them are anywhere near the quality she tries to tell people they are. But she has a gorgeous website and knows what to tell people... so there it is.

Anyway, just wanted to say I would really check him out and I would NOT pay more than $1000 or so for a puppy. Actually, $800, tops. From him. That's all I'm saying...

I actually think the bitch you found on Craigs list is better quality and for the money, you couldn't go wrong. IF and I mean, IF she actually is used to kids. I would seriously consider her... I just got a bad vibe from the website you linked.

#19 of 105 Old 03-09-2009, 03:14 PM

Quote:

I think this can be said of any breed, not just the German shepherd. ANY breed of dog can become a nightmare or the opposite,a loving addition. I think a key thing to do, since you are planning on going to a breeder is to pick a reputable breeder and really do background on your puppy's lineage. We personally own German shepherd but have also owned a min pin,boxer,mutt, aust. shepherd,bishon,daschund all were great dogs. I believe a lot also depends on the time you are willing to put into a animal. That is one of the biggest problems I have seen with *unruly* german shepherds, people get them because they want a security animal but dont realize that it entails years and years of daily training. Also the GSD is a very smart breed, they can get bored and that leads to destruction. They need to be a part of a group to have a *job*. They are also a larger breed that does require more care, they shed A LOT and eat A LOT. These are the two complaints I see most often with relinquished GSD or that they got big...yes a GSD can be close to 100 or even over. That being said our GSD have by far been the best. They are loyal not only to us but to our children. They have been our faithful companion have showed the true fearless german shepherd disposition. But we have been very careful choosing a breeder, know her lines and the dogs they use. A reputable breeder is not in it to sell a puppy, they are in it to improve the line and the breed.
#20 of 105 Old 03-09-2009, 03:23 PM
she

Quote:
With these GSD breeders, a lot of times it IS the case that the adults are waaaaay expensive.

I also disagree that adults are a good choice with kids. This gets said all the time, and I really so disagree and so do a lot of breeder friends. I would rather have a puppy in a home with little kids, not an adult.
I agree with you! (and would like to join the "Got the Stink Eye by the Pet Forum for Disagreeing Club")

and would like to add:

It's near impossible for anyone to really KNOW the past of rescue dogs, even those that get fostered (that in itself doesn't happen often here, we've got the SPCA and Kijiji, no rescues). Who KNOWS if that sweet kind dog goes spastic when it hears a... chainsaw, for example. With a young pup, it's your fault if you wreck it's temperament, that's the common attitude.

I've also seen a HUGE difference in attitude in animals that have been raised with young kids, the tolerance is amazing. An adult dog raised without kids just doesn't bond to them latter in life the same way.

Man, despite his artistic pretensions and his many accomplishments, owes his existence to a six-inch layer of topsoil and the fact that it rains - unknown :
#21 of 105 Old 03-09-2009, 04:32 PM

Okay, that breeder is selling for very high prices but keep in mind that they are paying that price more for the training than for the dog. If I'm reading correctly. Still, I agree the bitch on craigslist is a great option.

ETA: those prices are totally in line with my experience for working dogs that have been guard/security/watch trained.
#22 of 105 Old 03-09-2009, 04:38 PM

Quote:
It's near impossible for anyone to really KNOW the past of rescue dogs, even those that get fostered (that in itself doesn't happen often here, we've got the SPCA and Kijiji, no rescues).
"Knowing their past" is not necessary if they have a proven track record with a family with children, as has been proven hundreds of thousands of times by rescuers all over the world.
#23 of 105 Old 03-09-2009, 04:53 PM - Thread Starter

I PM'd you mom08

How do these dogs look? She says repeatedly that these are working dogs not necessarily family dogs. is that all German Shepherds? http://www.silvermountainshepherds.com/prod01.htm

They also seem to be excited about their white dogs, and I had always thought white was a flaw in german shepherds?
#24 of 105 Old 03-09-2009, 05:08 PM

Quote:
With a young pup, it's your fault if you wreck it's temperament, that's the common attitude.
Yet another comment with no real factual basis.

I spent more than would be appropriate to mention here on a well-bred puppy out of a past #1 sire. The pup was reared with children, dogs, adults - you name it. Walked daily in a family-friendly 'hood. Professionally trained. Socialized, exercised daily, you name it - it was done. Fed high quality food. NEVER left alone for more than a few hours in his entire life.

He became an aggressive nightmare at 19 months.

I'm open-minded and will agree that there are plenty of puppies whose temperament gets "wrecked" - but there are many pups who, despite doing everything right - are wrecked from the beginning.

I'm not saying you are wrong - but you aren't right, either.
#25 of 105 Old 03-09-2009, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Aimee* View Post
I PM'd you mom08

How do these dogs look? She says repeatedly that these are working dogs not necessarily family dogs. is that all German Shepherds? http://www.silvermountainshepherds.com/prod01.htm

They also seem to be excited about their white dogs, and I had always thought white was a flaw in german shepherds?
White is a disqualification... but seems more common than in some other breeds IMO - we had several... I had one in my home for a year or so.

She does mention they would be "great family pets" due to their versatility...

It's awesome to see someone really doing their homework before getting a pup... so many people just run out an get one.
#26 of 105 Old 03-09-2009, 05:22 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you. This just really is such a big commitment and I want everyone to love and be pleased with this dog.

Does it seem odd to you a breeder would try for white gsd?
#27 of 105 Old 03-09-2009, 05:28 PM

I didn't look too carefully but yes - except people who breed more for working seem to be less... discriminating... unfortunately. I always worry a bit about other characteristics when they're focusing on a disqualification... but some people make legit arguments for permitting certain colors.

Check this beautiful protection dog out (IF I was young, single and had no kids I'd take her! LOL):
http://charlotte.craigslist.org/pet/1067482285.html
#28 of 105 Old 03-09-2009, 05:59 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I didn't look too carefully but yes - except people who breed more for working seem to be less... discriminating... unfortunately. I always worry a bit about other characteristics when they're focusing on a disqualification... but some people make legit arguments for permitting certain colors.

Check this beautiful protection dog out (IF I was young, single and had no kids I'd take her! LOL):
http://charlotte.craigslist.org/pet/1067482285.html
Oh she's gorgeous!! I love her!
#29 of 105 Old 03-09-2009, 06:32 PM

White is a disqualification only in AKC. UKC allows it so some people do breed for it.

#30 of 105 Old 03-09-2009, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv-my-boys View Post
I think this can be said of any breed, not just the German shepherd. ANY breed of dog can become a nightmare or the opposite,a loving addition. I think a key thing to do, since you are planning on going to a breeder is to pick a reputable breeder and really do background on your puppy's lineage. We personally own German shepherd but have also owned a min pin,boxer,mutt, aust. shepherd,bishon,daschund all were great dogs. I believe a lot also depends on the time you are willing to put into a animal. That is one of the biggest problems I have seen with *unruly* german shepherds, people get them because they want a security animal but dont realize that it entails years and years of daily training. Also the GSD is a very smart breed, they can get bored and that leads to destruction. They need to be a part of a group to have a *job*. They are also a larger breed that does require more care, they shed A LOT and eat A LOT. These are the two complaints I see most often with relinquished GSD or that they got big...yes a GSD can be close to 100 or even over. That being said our GSD have by far been the best. They are loyal not only to us but to our children. They have been our faithful companion have showed the true fearless german shepherd disposition. But we have been very careful choosing a breeder, know her lines and the dogs they use. A reputable breeder is not in it to sell a puppy, they are in it to improve the line and the breed.
I did not mean there were a lot of bad ones out there in terms of temperament. I meant bad quality. And in GSD's, with all the "imports" and "titled" dogs that basically should be placed as pets but people are charging 10 grand for... it is a little shady. I did not mean bad temperament at all. And I know what a reputable breeder does.. I've been doing it for MANY years.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page